"Never again in the Haven"

Nalagh

Doesn't NCL offer an adults only serenity area where kids are not allowed?

Yes, parents should ensure their kids are behaving, but kids having fun on a ship - laughing, playing, and being kids - is why they are on the ship, to have fun. If they paid for the Haven, then they are allowed to be in there.

I could bring up the infamous smoking argument where the smell blows to my balcony, and someone will say they paid to be on theirs. It is a crap shot at what you get when you cruise, but you can minimize your chances of a bad experience if you shape the environment. Other lines are more adult friendly overall. Perhaps you may feel more comfortable there. HAL, Princess, X, or some luxury liner that does not gear towards kids (free kids, family atmosphere, etc.)

Just my .02c.

Yes, kids should laugh, play, splash and have a great time. There is the kids club, main pool with slides and kids pools for that. If NCL markets and tranquil haven area, then they should provide it. If NCL wants to have a family friendly haven, then promote it as such. Then, I will chose based on the accurate provided information. My 3 kids on this cruise had a blast without interfering with the enjoyment of others.

they told me to "get out of the pool - our kids want to use it and there is no way we will let them in with a stranger in it":eek:

This would have sent me over the edge, completely unacceptable

Yes, parents should ensure their kids are behaving, but kids having fun on a ship - laughing, playing, and being kids - is why they are on the ship, to have fun. If they paid for the Haven, then they are allowed to be in there.

I could bring up the infamous smoking argument where the smell blows to my balcony, and someone will say they paid to be on theirs. It is a crap shot at what you get when you cruise, but you can minimize your chances of a bad experience if you shape the environment. Other lines are more adult friendly overall. Perhaps you may feel more comfortable there. HAL, Princess, X, or some luxury liner that does not gear towards kids (free kids, family atmosphere, etc.)

Just my .02c.

And...splashing someone's medical equipment, playing with food putting it back etc....is considered acceptable behavior?

Perhaps people should be required to bring a nanny...or hire an on-board nanny.

Most likely these parents who let the kids run around don't spend much time the kids on land....and have no idea of how to show any authority to their children.

And...splashing someone's medical equipment, playing with food putting it back etc....is considered acceptable behavior?

Most likely these parents who let the kids run around don't spend much time the kids on land....and have no idea of how to show any authority to their children.

These parents are probably the same types of people who feel free to walk into a store or post office, and talk on their cell phones in the clerk's face. I am a retired postal window clerk, and found that to be extremely rude.

This is why I only take long cruises during school being in session.. Most parents don't take the kids out of school for 2weeks in the fall for vacations. My last two cruises had maybe ten kids tops. Rarely saw them. Not that I dislike children but I have already raised my children ( who never misbehaved in public because they knew if they did they would be instantly removed and fun would be over). I don't have any grandchildren yet. I want to enjoy my childless life while I still can.

I am so sorry. It absolutely blows my mind that parents can let their children behave that way.

Perhaps the Haven attendant needs to be given more authority? 3 strikes and you are barred from using the area for the next day, if it happens again, for the cruise? They would need the backup of security and there would have to be a list of infractions.

It really needs to be all handled by the staff so there is consistency. You also wouldn't want the crotchedy person who can never be pleased to have your kid removed because of an accidental splash either.

Perhaps they should just be required to parent. Which means they would look after their children and make sure they are not behaving in an unacceptable way.

I am beyond angry over this issue. My husband no longer wants to pay the premium price for the haven, which means I will not sail in the Haven if NCL does not fix this in some policy based way.

He is very upset as we parent our children, yet a few decided to let their kids ruin books on chairs, throw candy in the pool to dive after, and run into the elderly including one with just less than 6 months to live. All of these things happened on my sailing. My DH and I paid over $20K for this cruise(without jewellery) and we did so based on the haven advertisements and past Gem experiences. NCL failed me this time, I love NCL, but how can I ever defend this to my husband?

Just my .02c.

Unfortunately, there is no "adults only" area on Jewel-class ships, only on the Epic and Breakaway. The Haven is a small enclosed space, definitely not conducive to noise - it echoes like any small indoor pool space. It was originally marketed as a serene, peaceful relaxing space (and still is being marketed that way), with a tiny wading pool and hot tub, but it seems that families have discovered it and turned it otherwise. Quite frankly, I have always seen it as more of an "adults only" space - my kids would have been bored in there, being quiet and "wading" when they could have been "swimming" or "playing" in more appropriate areas. I think the main problem occurs when the weather is bad, and kids come indoors to swim (it's the only indoor pool on the ship). Even whispers echo in the space (it really is a "whisper" kind of place), so when a few kids start simply "being kids", it can feel like you are dead center in an elementary school playground - and as it gets louder, people (adults) talk louder, then start to shout just to be heard, etc and it snowballs.. It's not that people don't like kids, it's just that the Haven is not a kid-friendly type of space - more like a spa. Think of it like this - if you went to a nice restaurant, and kids were running around your table screaming and playing, would you consider that okay because they paid to eat there too? Would it not disturb the "niceness" of the restaurant? There are just more appropriate places for "kids to be kids".

Sounds like the people on Nalagh's sailing were seriously over the top - and I would have been furious that nothing was done about such behavior...

Robin

I see the Haven marketed as more of a family place rather than tranquil. What EVERY ship needs is an adults only area. The Haven pool is tiny. On Epic, there were kids snorkeling in the hot tubs and the Haven pool was a kiddie pool. We book suites for the extra room and priority service, not for the Haven area. I love the concept of the Jewel and Pearl where you can book suites that dont come with Haven access. Boy do I wish that existed on Epic or Getaway!

Because kids will be kids. A kid is going to jump and splash in a pool. That is only normal. A child is also going to grab at gummy bears. I dont see this as rude or offensive behavior coming from a child. This is completely normal and not sure where the bad parenting exits for some that are blaming the parents. If a family is on vacation with children, they are not allowed to splash and play in a pool that their parents paid for?

There are solutions though. NCL should have created a kid pool and adult pool in the Haven. Look at the wasted space on Breakaway. They have a pool area that is not a pool to just sit 6 lounge chairs. They could have created a small kid pool and and adults only pool. They should also have an adults only hot tub etc.

I have seen this kind of thread many times and it is unfortunate. The people who have complained to the concierge have been told, a cruise is for a family to have fun. I have to agree with that. I see fault at the few adults only areas and dont want to blame the children or parents. Royal has some of the biggest adult only areas and even Carnival is now adding more adult only areas when they refurnish their ships. Holland cruises have the fewest children and really cater to adults and I think Princess is the same. NCL, Royal, Carnival, and Disney really market children and families.

I have yet to experience a tranquil Haven :)

DH and I were just talking about taking our family (adult children and two well-behaved grands) to Alaska and booking Haven cabins. I'm glad I read this. We will now consider another line. Why pay a lot for a place that is not pleasant. Thanks for the heads up!

From The Haven website:

As a guest of The Haven, you'll have exclusive access to the Courtyard. This private enclave at the top of the ship has quiet places to dine, drink and relax, and an expertly trained staff to attend to your every need. Take a swim in a private pool, work out in a private fitness area and soak your tired muscles in a private hot tub. Order from a special Courtyard menu and spend your tranquil days at sea enjoying the luxury of complete privacy and personal service.

Robin

I have cruised with NCL quite a few times. I have always seen kids running amuck. We have never gone in the pool. We cant get to the shuffle board. The Hot Tubs are filled with kid, even though the sign says must be accompanied by adult. On the Jewel a few years ago we had teenagers running and sliding down the banisters. Their parents feel they are on vacation, so why bother looking after their kids. They can't go to far. I raised my children to respect and think of others. These kids are taught its about them. I love cruising, but I am often really thinking twice. I love children. I raised three and I have four grand-children. Parents need to be parents.

I have cruised with NCL quite a few times. I have always seen kids running amuck. We have never gone in the pool. We cant get to the shuffle board. The Hot Tubs are filled with kid, even though the sign says must be accompanied by adult. On the Jewel a few years ago we had teenagers running and sliding down the banisters. Their parents feel they are on vacation, so why bother looking after their kids. They can't go to far. I raised my children to respect and think of others. These kids are taught its about them. I love cruising, but I am often really thinking twice. I love children. I raised three and I have four grand-children. Parents need to be parents.

I think that sums it up. If people think "kids will be kids" we should also expect "parents to be parents".

The haven is over-rated and over-priced. Anywhere you go, exclusive or not, if kids are allowed, expect to be annoyed by them. I suggest the OP consider cruising on an adults only line. Parents raise their children as they see fit, no matter how much it might upset you.

The haven is over-rated and over-priced. Anywhere you go, exclusive or not, if kids are allowed, expect to be annoyed by them. I suggest the OP consider cruising on an adults only line. Parents raise their children as they see fit, no matter how much it might upset you.

That would make it difficult for her to travel with her family.

I am beyond angry over this issue. My husband no longer wants to pay the premium price for the haven, which means I will not sail in the Haven if NCL does not fix this in some policy based way.

He is very upset as we parent our children, yet a few decided to let their kids ruin books on chairs, throw candy in the pool to dive after, and run into the elderly including one with just less than 6 months to live. All of these things happened on my sailing. My DH and I paid over $20K for this cruise(without jewellery) and we did so based on the haven advertisements and past Gem experiences. NCL failed me this time, I love NCL, but how can I ever defend this to my husband?

Buy a spa pass on your next cruise. Much cheaper than $20k and no kids allowed. We have never had a bad spa experience. Something to consider.

This is about bad parenting ! some people just don't have any requirements in respect to behavior for there children . My family will be staying in athe haven in September my kids know the rules and I expect them to behave correctly for each setting kids club water slides have crazy fun :D haven pool area relax with your parents it's as simple as that:)

I already responded one time but I think this even better illustrates what I mean. I want to be able to have my kids in there with me at any time, but if they get 'crazy', which means to me even me feeling like they might be bothering someone, I'd definitely take them to the kids pool. It sucks when poor parenting of a few affects everyone else! People are so selfish!!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in the Haven. We've sailed in NCL suites twice (with a 3rd upcoming on Breakaway). First cruise on the Pearl, we had a 2 bedroom suite but no Haven access. I felt like we missed out on the "special" space, so we booked another 2 bedroom suite on Epic. While we enjoyed the pool area on occasion, we mainly took advantage of Posh, which sadly is now an additional fee on Breakaway for the similar Vibe.

To me, the challenge is how do you market a "private" space, that might be shared by 100-200 people? It's not really private, merely less congested - still subject to the luck of the draw regarding your fellow passengers. On the bigger ships, you are still more likely to have opportunities for quiet time in the Haven since you are only dealing with hundreds vs thousands of fellow travelers.

As a father of two (21, 14), I have mastered the scowl of disgust that I don't hesitate to cast toward ill behaved fellow travelers (no matter their age.) :) It has served me well and I trust has lead to my children being considerate travelers.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in the Haven. We've sailed in NCL suites twice (with a 3rd upcoming on Breakaway). First cruise on the Pearl, we had a 2 bedroom suite but no Haven access. I felt like we missed out on the "special" space, so we booked another 2 bedroom suite on Epic. While we enjoyed the pool area on occasion, we mainly took advantage of Posh, which sadly is now an additional fee on Breakaway for the similar Vibe.

To me, the challenge is how do you market a "private" space, that might be shared by 100-200 people? It's not really private, merely less congested - still subject to the luck of the draw regarding your fellow passengers. On the bigger ships, you are still more likely to have opportunities for quiet time in the Haven since you are only dealing with hundreds vs thousands of fellow travelers.

As a father of two (21, 14), I have mastered the scowl of disgust that I don't hesitate to cast toward ill behaved fellow travelers (no matter their age.) :) It has served me well and I trust has lead to my children being considerate travelers.

On Jewel class ships the Haven is shared by a few less. 2 Garden Villas, 2 DOS, 4 OS, and 8 Haven suites.

I as well have mastered that look, as the behavior of my children did not disrespect or interfere with others enjoyment of the cruise.

There should be a posted haven policy:

The haven is reserved for guests to enjoy a relaxing tranquil environment. If a more active experience is desired guests should use the family pools on deck whatever.

I disagree I love the Haven and was on the cruise with the OP her children were perfectly behaved and a pleasure to be around. Why should any of us have to go to an adults only line? The problem is a generation of spoiled indulged brats raising another generation of spoiled indulged brats! If parents do no teach their children manners then shame on them, but NCL should monitor the Haven a little more closely when they are selling such a high end product. This whole thread should not even have to be here. This is the right to you quiet and peaceful enjoyment and health and safety. The Haven has only proved recently that money certainly does not buy class.

I just got off the breakaway and the haven is so big compared to the Jewel but its still an echo chamber and every sound is amplified.

I was on the gem and there was some kids chasing each other and screaming. An elderly man politely asked the parent if she could ask their kids to calm down as he was trying to relax . The parent just snapped go relax in your room and made a big speech about how kids have the right to play etc. The man look mortified and embarrassed that she made such a scene .

2 days later the parent was trying to take a nap. I decided to start a loud chat with the person the parent had snapped at. At first he looked confused as to why I was talking so loudly at him but he figured it out quickly. We got louder and louder to eventually she cracked and snapped at us. You can guess the mans response. :D He had a big smile on his face for the rest of the cruise and to my huge surprise the parent kept the kids under control.

No real solution in that story but I just like it.

There should be a posted haven policy:

The haven is reserved for guests to enjoy a relaxing tranquil environment. If a more active experience is desired guests should use the family pools on deck whatever.

Perfectly put but would have to be somehow enforced.

Archived