"Never again in the Haven"

Nalagh

I just got off the breakaway and the haven is so big compared to the Jewel but its still an echo chamber and every sound is amplified.

I was on the gem and there was some kids chasing each other and screaming. An elderly man politely asked the parent if she could ask their kids to calm down as he was trying to relax . The parent just snapped go relax in your room and made a big speech about how kids have the right to play etc. The man look mortified and embarrassed that she made such a scene .

2 days later the parent was trying to take a nap. I decided to start a loud chat with the person the parent had snapped at. At first he looked confused as to why I was talking so loudly at him but he figured it out quickly. We got louder and louder to eventually she cracked and snapped at us. You can guess the mans response. :D He had a big smile on his face for the rest of the cruise and to my huge surprise the parent kept the kids under control.

No real solution in that story but I just like it.

Good one Shaun ;)

Cherie,

I am really sorry that your Haven experience was not a good one. Frankly, it sounds awful.

We are super loyal NCL cruisers, always in suites, and three times in Haven category suites. Two were wonderful. One there were definitely a handful of kids there on many days. They were very well behaved-just kids being kids but in no way obtrusive or ill-mannered. It was actually a ton of fun watching them splash around and have fun. Lovely families. On another sailing, there just weren't kids up there ever so it was always quiet.

A third sailing, however, there was a family, two parents, two kids, and a grandmother. Their son, probably 18 mo-2 years was always crying, screaming, running amok. Daughter was a bit older and a doll. One day, and you can't make this up, we were in Cagney's for lunch (the extra seating area off the star bar) and the kid was in there walking around the restaurant, slobbering on the mirrors-basically just not under any supervision. Finally, FINALLY, the mother got up and I thought for sure she was going to take him out of the area so that the rest of the diners could have some peace. Well, she walked over to the doors and shut them so that her son was effectively trapped and could not wander off and went about her meal. I could not believe it! Consequently, I wasn't surprised when they showed up for the late show and sat in the suite area where their son screamed for the better part of the show. In all honesty, I actually felt sorry for this kid-his parents are doing him no favors in life.

At any rate, we have three suites booked within the Haven complex on July in Bermuda so we will see what happens. The one experience did not dissuade me from booking again and I considered it anomalous.

I just hope NCL takes your comments to heart and endeavors to make some improvements. I think they are in a tough spot of trying to make everyone happy but at the same time they really need to take comments from some of their repeat cruisers, especially those spending 20K+ a few times a year, to heart.

Coffeecat

Buy a spa pass on your next cruise. Much cheaper than $20k and no kids allowed. We have never had a bad spa experience. Something to consider.

i did this for one cruise...the adults there were very rude!!!

there were still chair hogs....even in the spa :eek:

because of other parents not parenting while on vacation, i take my kids out of school for off peak kid seasons....

they are not allowed to run-amuk....i have even grounded my kiddos while on vacation. rules are rules. whether my rules or NCL's you do not break the rules

we will be in the haven this october....my moms first. i wish the tranquility will be there for her....

I think Adult only hours would only make the rest of the time worse. Its like an invitation to do what ever they want outside of adult hours.

I think some parents are not educated as to what other guest expect the haven to be and think its for kids to do what they want, which I guess is true.

A sign on all entry doors stating a behavior policy while inside the haven would be a good start. While it would be hard to enforce or discipline it would at least make people think about their and their kids behavior.\

Something along the lines of.

We want all our guests to enjoy the Beautiful Haven so we kindly request

That noise be kept to a reasonable level.

That all kids be supervised at all times.

No running.

No jumping in the pool.

No splashing in the pool.

We appreciate your cooperation

NCL

Cherie, I am sad to read this. I know how much you were looking forward to this sailing, and I can completely understand why you are upset.

Our first Haven experience was in '12 when we booked the OS. We went up to the courtyard as the ship was sailing down the Hudson, and were pretty surprised to see kids screaming as they ran through the courtyard and cannon-balled into the pool. One adult was in the pool encouraging the kids, yelling "faster, faster!" DH and I just looked at each other in shock, and made a fast retreat to the sundeck above. We visited the courtyard twice more during that sailing, and didn't stay either time, because the same group was running wild in the same fashion both times. On another occasion our youngest went up to sit in the hot tub and was unable to relax because the kids were jumping in and out of the hot tub and pool the entire time. We were thankful that we had the OS and all its space to lounge around in, and the huge forward balcony for sunning on, because if we had the courtyard as our only retreat we would have been miserable.

Our second experience was just the past March, and we seriously considered not booking in the Haven category because of the prior experience. We were pleasantly surprised this time, as although there were several children who frequently spent time in the courtyard, they were remarkably well-behaved, even when their parent's were not in sight. We were delighted, and spent quite a bit of time enjoying the tranquility. ;)

I agree that there needs to be some kind of behavior guideline established for areas like this, and the guideline needs to be enforced consistently.

Bingo, Shaun07. Plus maybe add the line about "if you would like a more active experience, please use the xyz areas/pools on decks abc. Also, would you add a few words to protect the food, or perhaps protect it better or both?

Yikes! I do not feel like I am missing anything at all by not booking the haven. These stories are too much for me. So are the haven prices. Combined, I always found it not worth the chance the haven being more hellish than heavenly the time I sail in one. I am content with the penthouse suites.

I do think there is a compromise...kid hours and adult hours...which is time2cruise's suggestion.

coka

We've been on several Haven cruises, and my wife has advised that she does not intend to forego Haven in the future. Our experiences are generally favourable, but there are unquestionably times where unmanaged children have temporarily ruined the experience.

I would suggest that the responsibility and associated fault is shared. NCL has an obligation to ensure that the description of the Haven experience that they market matches with the actual experience that is realized. If a firm hand by NCL is needed with parents who are inconsiderate, then that's what it takes. Else, how can you maintain a standard of decorum?

Parents have an obligation to actually control and manage their children. Given that the Haven is intended as a place of relaxation, then parents with unruly children should send their children elsewhere. Which brings me to a very important point. Most cruiselines including NCL provide full programs for children of most ages. If children can't behave among adults that are not their parents, then they don't belong in the Haven. They belong in the provided programs.

Cherie and Andrea, my husband and I were also on this sailing and also in a Haven suite. After 35+ cruises this was our first NCL cruise. We booked the Haven due to all the hype, but like you, we would never book it again. We went as a couple. My children are grown now, 23 and 26 but they started cruising when they were 7 and 10 and have sailed many times. Never in a million years would they have been allowed to act like the kids I saw on this sailing. Although I have to say that I found the parents equally obnoxious. Every morning the whole group was out in the Haven by 8 am putting their stuff on every available chair. They had their breakfast and lunch delivered there most days and the kids went from the pool to the hot tub all day long. Never did I see an available chair in the Haven the whole week as they were always occupied by the same group of people. We even attempted to go up to the open deck above the Haven one day and observed this same group jumping all over the furniture.

We went deliberately in early May thinking that most kids would still be in school but I guess that was not the case. Believe me, I have nothing against children, in fact we met some wonderfully behaved children in Cagney's. I even went over and told the parents how wonderfully behaved their boys were. We knew there would be some children in the Haven for sure, but never expected such bad behaved children and parents. The Haven is an area designed to be shared by all guests not just a small group who decides to take it over for the whole week. We also had Kadek as our Butler and he was wonderful. Shame on the Concierge for never doing anything to try and solve the problem as I am sure he had plenty of complaints.

Like I said, this was my first NCL cruise so I have no prior experience, but I will say that we felt it wasn't worth the money we paid to stay in the Haven since we were never able to use it.

We were on this cruise in a non Haven suite and spent a good amount of time with Cherie and her family. Her children were perfectly behaved and she should be very proud. Cherie sorry you and Mommy2 had this issue, we had no idea, neither of you ever mentioned it.

Did not realize you had Gigi, she's our favorite steward also.

The worst was them laughing when their little darlings were intentionally splashing (and it was *way* more than splashing - taking handfuls of water and flinging) towards my DH and his very expensive oxygen concentrator to "make the old man leave" (which, btw, my DH is no where near old - just, unfortunately, a bad turn of health).

Since it was distressing to both of us, it was easier to just leave.

But, I was pretty steamed the entire cruise about it.

And, yes, the staff did (desperately) try to get things under control. But, they were really outnumbered and I truly felt sorry for them as well.

Like I've said before, we get a kick out of seeing kids having fun (and, yes, splashing around is always going to happen - and, I've been in the pool and it's fine and no, DH stays AWAY from water at all times). We just want to be able to use the facilities just like everyone else.

I guess when some families book multiple cabins sometimes they feel that they then have more of a right to the space then the rest of us. Sad really....

Omg. Who were these people?

If these crude parents can afford this kind of money to cruise I have to wonder where their money comes from So grateful for my well educated hard working middles class life and respectful kids. So what if we book insides and ov and drive 10 year old cars. At least we respect others

We were on this cruise in a non Haven suite and spent a good amount of time with Cherie and her family. Her children were perfectly behaved and she should be very proud. Cherie sorry you and Mommy2 had this issue, we had no idea, neither of you ever mentioned it.

Patrick as I said before children like Cherie's are a pleasure, we never mentioned it because we just tried to make the best of it. The cruise was fun all else aside.

Andrea

This seriously distresses me, we go on the Gem in June and are in a Haven 2 bedroom. Our children are 17 and 19, and they know how to act like ladies (or I kill them, easy choice for them lol)

This is the second posting in about 4 months I have seen about the Gem's Haven. I waffled about just getting a 'regular' 2 bedroom suite, I am thinking I should have.

I normally wouldn't cruise this time of year, but youngest daughter graduates and wanted to go to Bahamas, so I guess I just have to hope for the best!

IMO the term "Haven" is certainly suggestive of "serenity" and really is suggestive of adults/couples.

Are there not "kiddie pools" aboard the ship?? That's really where children should be.

I've got a Haven suited booked aboard the Epic next April. :rolleyes:

This whole thread would have never existed, except for last night. I told Daniel that I was booking the 9 day Gem, and for the first time in 18 years, he said NO. He is angry, and I hope in time it diminishes. My in-laws had less than 5 minutes in the Haven, but I understand them leaving the first night after the kid spit pool water near his drink. Daniel spent Zero minutes as when he went to get the valet, he was splashed with water on his suite on before dinner. He went back, but never stayed as he felt the kids were in control.

This whole thread would have never existed, except for last night. I told Daniel that I was booking the 9 day Gem, and for the first time in 18 years, he said NO. He is angry, and I hope in time it diminishes. My in-laws had less than 5 minutes in the Haven, but I understand them leaving the first night after the kid spit pool water near his drink. Daniel spent Zero minutes as when he went to get the valet, he was splashed with his suite on for dinner. He went back, but never stayed as he felt the kids were in control.

I may have lost it and beat me some kids...., in my mind. I do think I would have let them know what they did and hoped the parents could hear.

The problem is a generation of spoiled indulged brats raising another generation of spoiled indulged brats!

On a lot of other cruise line boards here I would be considered as a spoiled indulged brat without manners for going to dinner in jeans and sneakers.

There are lots of different parenting styles, views of the role of children in society and about manners in modern times all over the world and between all generations and even between members of the same generation. That is why I would be careful to judge good and bad parenting and behavior.

I think those discussions get difficult as legitimate complaints and rather strange expectations get mixed easily.

And to be honest things like licking food and putting it back is a no go on every part of the ship and has nothing to do with the haven area. To those that feel running should be banned, good look with convincing NCL.

My guess is it will get worse, opening something like cruising in general and the haven area in specific for broader audiences will increase the clash of different views even more.

This seriously distresses me, we go on the Gem in June and are in a Haven 2 bedroom. Our children are 17 and 19, and they know how to act like ladies (or I kill them, easy choice for them lol)

:D Sounds like me with the 16/12 yr old boys. They will say something about unruly kids before me! They got compliments 3 yrs ago when we flew 1st class to Hawaii from both FA's and other passengers.

On a lot of other cruise line boards here I would be considered as a spoiled indulged brat without manners for going to dinner in jeans and sneakers.

There are lots of different parenting styles, views of the role of children in society and about manners in modern times all over the world and between all generations and even between members of the same generation. That is why I would be careful to judge good and bad parenting and behavior.

I think those discussions get difficult as legitimate complaints and rather strange expectations get mixed easily.

And to be honest things like licking food and putting it back is a no go on every part of the ship and has nothing to do with the haven area. To those that feel running should be banned, good look with convincing NCL.

My guess is it will get worse, opening something like cruising in general and the haven area in specific for broader audiences will increase the clash of different views even more.

Manners have nothing to do with the way you dress, I have seen homeless people in dirty ripped clothing with very good manners. I would never judge a man or woman by their clothes. But I will judge by their actions!

I may have lost it and beat me some kids...., in my mind. I do think I would have let them know what they did and hoped the parents could hear.

This is terrible and should never happen. :eek: Security should make themselves present in the haven area if there are these kinds of problems. NCL are you reading? Put SECURITY into the HAVENS! These situations are unacceptable. :( OP - You should immediately send a letter to NCL to Kevin Sheehan. I am getting mad just reading about these problems and I would not book a haven because of this.

I'm just wondering, and maybe I missed it....but why the people who were affected by this behavior didn't say something to the parents?? Although it seems like the parents condoned it........

Did the parents seem physically threatening?

Let's face it....you can't be poor and afford The Haven. I'm picturing doctors, captains of industry and other successful people up there. I'm not picturing street thugs....or trailer trash.

Maybe it's the NYC in me...where I'm used to fighting over a seat in the subway...but the behavior described (and I'm not doubting it at all) seems way over the top of unacceptable.

I'm just wondering, and maybe I missed it....but why the people who were affected by this behavior didn't say something to the parents?? Although it seems like the parents condoned it........

Did the parents seem physically threatening?

Let's face it....you can't be poor and afford The Haven. I'm picturing doctors, captains of industry and other successful people up there. I'm not picturing street thugs....or trailer trash.

Maybe it's the NYC in me...where I'm used to fighting over a seat in the subway...but the behavior described (and I'm not doubting it at all) seems way over the top of unacceptable.

I've personally been intimidated (think big guys - gym-ripped types getting in my face). That was the one I speed dialed the butler and concierge the second I got back to the suite. While shaking.

Another time it was just sheer "numbers" (like 8 against 2 - one of whom is disabled). Not great - so it was another form of intimidation tactic.

It's just disgusting. And, trust me, "trailer trash" doesn't exclude "doctors, captains of industry or other successful people". I see it every single day. So-called "high society" with absolutely no class (since money cannot buy class). ;)

Archived