C&A Upgrade Fairy, wings clipped

Am I imagining a change? I thought all tiers got complimentary upgrades. I just got a free upgrade a few months ago and I'm a Diamond. It doesn't happen often, but this seems like a significant change.

Complimentary Upgrades (when available) are only available for D+ and above. Reduced Rate Upgrades (when available) for all other C&A Tiers.

The footnote:

We may, in our sole discretion, offer complimentary upgrades to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members if stateroom upgrades are available. Please provide the upgrade preference information requested below, which will be considered if a stateroom upgrade is offered to you. Neither upgrades nor upgrade preferences are guaranteed.

The small print from the C&A site reads:

Crown & Anchor Stateroom Upgrade Policy:

Our ships regularly sail at full capacity. Therefore, opportunities to upgrade are offered on a limited basis. If available, upgrades may be offered at the sole discretion of Royal Caribbean to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club. To determine which members may be extended an upgrade, we will consider the member's Cruise Points and tier level, stateroom category paid and booking date.

I'm curious now. Everybody that posted here in the past that the upgrade fairy came visiting is Diamond plus? Or was it Diamond? I always assumed that upgrades were given to people based on their status, so it's not surprising to me that upgrades are only given to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members.

I think of it just like how it works on an airplane. If you have status, you get bumped up to Business or First class. Those that fly more often would expect to get more upgrades than somebody who flies once a year. Although on my Memorial Day flight yesterday, five standby passengers were lucky enough to get lie-flat, first class seats because economy section was sold out and nobody was willing to pay the $1500 it would take to upgrade to first class! Why wouldn't they move those in business class up to first, and then some from economy up to business class? Befuddling. Maybe this is how some Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members feel when a lowly Gold member comes here to say they got an upgrade?

We are diamond plus and have just received our first upgrade about 2 hours ago for our june 20th sailing.... Doing a happy dance right now.... We were booked in a Grand suite and have been moved to an owners suite.

I have read about others receiving upgrades and they were gold. I always wondered how it all worked? Still have no idea but I feel very blessed!!!

Our first RCL cruise we were upgraded to a suite from a deluxe balcony (now referred to as JS) on the Majesty. Our second upgrade happened when we were Platinum and we went from a balcony to JS on the Grandeur. Our third upgrade was also on the Grandeur and we went from balcony mid ship 7th deck to aft JS same deck. This was after we made Diamond which is where we still are. Have a cruise booked for Jan 2014 on the Legend.

We are just off Rhapsody. The lone OS remaining prior to our cruise went to somebody other than the 2 Pinnacle couples onboard (we were #2). At checkin, the #1 couple was told that they had declined the upgrade (they had not) so it went to somebody else (not us). They were upgraded a couple of days into the cruise, but I don't know what they had booked and what they were upgraded to.

We are just off Rhapsody. The lone OS remaining prior to our cruise went to somebody other than the 2 Pinnacle couples onboard (we were #2). At checkin, the #1 couple was told that they had declined the upgrade (they had not) so it went to somebody else (not us). They were upgraded a couple of days into the cruise, but I don't know what they had booked and what they were upgraded to.

This is what I don't understand. Maybe it goes based on what cabin you booked rather than your status. Maybe that couple had booked the Grand Suite (that is the one right below Owner's Suite, right? I have no idea) so they get bumped up. Whereas Pinnacle #1 may have had a regular balcony? I also don't understand how somebody gets upgraded midcruise. Why wouldn't the cabin have been available at the time of check-in? The only scenarios I see possible are that somebody missed the cruise or left midcruise.

I'm glad 8001 went to a passenger and that they hadn't kept it for the entertainers... had honestly thought the singer dude that kept tooting his own horn about the 3500 sq ft Hilton suite he lived in when he worked in Vegas was sleeping in 8001!!

That said I should have been offered the upgraded couple's original cabin once the "little critter" appeared in my lovely interior :mad:

This is what I don't understand. Maybe it goes based on what cabin you booked rather than your status. Maybe that couple had booked the Grand Suite (that is the one right below Owner's Suite, right? I have no idea) so they get bumped up. Whereas Pinnacle #1 may have had a regular balcony? I also don't understand how somebody gets upgraded midcruise. Why wouldn't the cabin have been available at the time of check-in? The only scenarios I see possible are that somebody missed the cruise or left midcruise.

Just off ROS Alaska and all the JS's were booked well in advance..but they gave a JS upgrade away 2nd day at Bingo...How does this give away work if you are already in a JS or above :confused:..Didn't matter to me I already had a JS and didn't play that Bingo game. Just curious?

As a Diamond Plus Member I think it's a great idea. :D:D:D But I wonder if that will actually mean more or less upgrades available for Diamond Plus. I'm sure that RCCL will try to sell cheap upgrades to lower level C&A members so ther likely won't be any available to give away to higher level C&A members. :(:(:(

From the way they described it, RCI was claiming that PC #1 had been offered the OS but declined it. So there's no way of knowing how their system worked. It's not unreasonable for us to have thought that they might have offered it to us next (not that we were upset about it since we had a fabulous corner aft and would have missed the balcony, although it would have been interesting to know how much we would have missed it, LOL).

As a Diamond Plus Member I think it's a great idea. :D:D:D But I wonder if that will actually mean more or less upgrades available for Diamond Plus. I'm sure that RCCL will try to sell cheap upgrades to lower level C&A members so ther likely won't be any available to give away to higher level C&A members. :(:(:(

We were the beneficiaries of more upgrades prior to the creation of the PC level than we are now. To be sure, we aren't on RCI as much as we used to be, and the full suites on the cruises we take usually sell out, but I've seen half a dozen full suites vanish in a day without any kind of apparent price drop. I think that the revenue department gives out upgrades (or offers upsells) based on criteria which have nothing to do with C&A, such as known heavy gamblers or other high spenders. I don't have a problem with that as a business person, but I will confess to missing the old days when one could call the D+ desk 14 days out and beg for an upgrade with a pretty good chance of getting one.

Be careful what you wish for. Make sure your profile in C&A is current.

You may get an upgrade you don't want.

If you select a certain state room or location make sure you mark your profile to "do not want an upgrade."

I think RCI used to have a "call me before upgrading" as a selection. However, after monitoring available state rooms and moving 3 times on one cruise, I was where I wanted to be. We (D+) received an unsolicited upgrade without notice that moved us from deck 10 to deck 4. Needless to say I was unhappy. When we called they told us they could not move us back. Not sure why they could move us once without notice but not twice!

When we were on board we went to the front desk the first day and explained the situation to them. By the end of the day we were back on the deck we preferred.

So, now if we get a location we want we check "do not disturb." Otherwise we leave it to the upgrade fairy.

We haven't either and we've sailed many times since becoming Diamond Plus.

We were upgraded twice when we were Gold. Nothing since.

I have altered my C&A upgrade preference on a couple of occassion when I didn't want a change, but for the most part leave it open to upgrade automatically. I can only hope. I hope the upgrade fairy visits us for our Legend cruise in December. We are three adults, all D+, in a JS.

Archived