Honey...I'm home : ) (off Grandeur)

So, an actual life threatening incident was minor compared to you being

inconvenienced. Wow, just simply wow!

How lame is "wow, just simply wow!"? No need for such a negative post, I am sure it was horrible to get off the ship.......I am sure it was a cluster you know what........If you haven't been thru one of these events you have absolutely no idea of what happens once the original incident/crisis is stabilized. People are tired, not at their best to say the least. So stop with the "wow, just simply wow", unless you are a teenager and even then it's still lame.

How lame is "wow, just simply wow!"? No need for such a negative post, I am sure it was horrible to get off the ship.......I am sure it was a cluster you know what........If you haven't been thru one of these events you have absolutely no idea of what happens once the original incident/crisis is stabilized. People are tired, not at their best to say the least. So stop with the "wow, just simply wow", unless you are a teenager and even then it's still lame.

Not lame at all. Sure it was a cluster but it amazes that someone can think a fire is minor compared to being inconvenienced by waiting in line. You have your views and I have mine and obviously we differ. Wow imagine that.

Hi everyone,

Found this post by accident, confirms every thing

korianto was in aft cabin on 7 saw the fire and explosion

confirms dharma's story and lots more !!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38559126

What a harrowing experience that describes - shame it is posted on the wrong part of cc - everyone should give that post a read.

I love RCL and GOS hope to sail her again someday.

Karen

Welcome home, glad you made it through OK. Hopefully the second half of your vacation is much more relaxed!

I've been thinking about this incident for the past few days. Given the significant USGC response, as well as two other ships standing by to render aid if needed, I wonder how long it will be before a video or photo surfaces taken from afar - one that shows the rear of the ship ablaze. Frankly, I'm surprised nothing has shown up yet. Am I alone in this?

What a harrowing experience that describes - shame it is posted on the wrong part of cc - everyone should give that post a read.

Karen

Yes, thorough post, but the part about C&A status kind of bugged me (we're Diamond) and I wouldn't expect what the poster did. And by that, I mean the order of things.

Wow...getting out a Freeport was a nightmare...lol. Not sure RCCL could have done any more than they could though. Our 4pm flight finally arrived around 11 something last night in Baltimore. There are going to be horror stories....one plane sat at Freeport airport filled with passengers for 5 hours and I don't know why. An entire flight had their baggage lost. (they had a layover I think). Once we got to Bmore it was great except for the hotel checkin which was our final line to stand in after a very very long day.

They had a very nice set up at the airport...every 10 feet or so we were lead along the way and welcome by a standing RCCL rep. Welcome home..we are glad to see you. Hotel rooms were offered..$125 pp for incidentals will be refunded to us with reciepts. The Port of Baltimore is refunding our entire parking stay...you go BMORE!!!

Finally time to cut the umbilicial cord now. My DH and I are leaving in 30 mins to finish our vacation on the beach in OCMD. We got a really nice room. We made some very good friends thru this ordeal. In fact I think we had a very nice pizza/wine/beer party in the lobby of the hotel until after 2am.

I will be happy to answer any questions : )

I'm glad Korianto and I were able to meet you and your husband at the Meet and Mingle. You are a very friendly couple and later on after the ship's fire it was nice sharing support while we waited patiently for our flights out of there. I also met many nice people before the fire and afterward we seemed "closer" and becoming family through adversity.

Why yes I do. First and foremost, thank you for all of your posts and updates and I am glad that you and all guests and crew are okay.

In the news I read, "We were awoken by announcements."

I'm curious to know if, at any time, the alarm bells were sounded with seven short, one long?

Technical question, I know, but am quite curious.

Thanks Dharma517 !

Korianto who wrote a ( long, long post about this) and I were in 7154, AFT Junior Suite heard the announcement from the Captain. We heard the alarm bells at the Muster station. My CPAP machine alarmed when we lost power and that's how we woke up.Then the Captain made the announcement which seemed surreal. It was pitch dark in the cabin and we opened curtains, saw the black smoke billowing upward and the flames shooting upward and then a big explosion, sounded like a mortar explosion.It appeared out of control, nor firefighting that I know of at that time. That's when we high tailed out of there! Very scary being in the AFT at that time.

Yes, thorough post, but the part about C&A status kind of bugged me (we're Diamond) and I wouldn't expect what the poster did. And by that, I mean the order of things.

Could you elaborate how you would have inquired after a ship's fire?

Karen

I mentioned your comment to Korianto, my DH, and he said he would move the post to another part of CC or start another thread. Thank you. We also are looking forward to being on GOS in December or earlier.

Could you elaborate how you would have inquired after a ship's fire?

Inquired????

What I was referring to was the poster saying that they were approaching Emerald and should be ranked/treated a particular way because of that.

THis portion: "Walking away I wondered why they were treating my husband and myself like this - here we were, our third time on the Grandeur, (after this cruise we would've moved up to Emerald status), we have two more cruises fully booked this year, a transatlantic in October, and a 10 day sailing on the Grandeur once more in December (which would have moved us into Diamond status). We also either book junior suites or accessible cabins, and we go to their specialty restaurants. Their treatment of us, their lack of respect towards us (and other passengers in Jr. Suites as well as Crown & Anchor members) shows a distinct lack of knowledge on where they should be placing their priorities when a disaster occurs. In my opinion, the one's with the highest priorities are those in "affected cabins" of course, but it should been someone's duty to determine that all affected cabins were truly included. All of the Aft Cabins were in the direct path of the fire - they were all above it, experienced Smoke and Heat Damage, yet no one bothered to inspect them?

Next in priority would be all your regular suite guests plus Diamond Plus/Pinnacle members.

After them, your Junior Suite guests plus Diamond/emerald members

Next Balcony guests plus platinum members

And so on."

My question is, what friggin difference does it make what their status was or how many times they had been onboard that ship? No one should get priorty. Everyone should be treated the same. Are you saying they shouldn't?

Korianto who wrote a ( long, long post about this) and I were in 7154, AFT Junior Suite heard the announcement from the Captain. We heard the alarm bells at the Muster station. My CPAP machine alarmed when we lost power and that's how we woke up.Then the Captain made the announcement which seemed surreal. It was pitch dark in the cabin and we opened curtains, saw the black smoke billowing upward and the flames shooting upward and then a big explosion, sounded like a mortar explosion.It appeared out of control, nor firefighting that I know of at that time. That's when we high tailed out of there! Very scary being in the AFT at that time.

I read that account...super scary, and I'm sorry you had so many frustrations after the fire. Thank goodness you're home and can recover from your scary ordeal!

I did want to address the comments about expecting to receive priority because of a cabin type or C&A status. I'm Diamond, and we cruise in suites, but I wouldn't expect either of those to be considered in the aftermath of a fire. My assumption is that assistance (moves/relocation on the ship/transfer to hotel/flights, etc.) would be purely based on need and the degree someone was impacted by the fire. It sounds like your cabin was heavily impacted and somehow got overlooked.:( I think you should have been given more and faster assistance, but that's based on the report of damage to your cabin, not the fact that it was a JS or your Emerald C&A status.

I read that account...super scary, and I'm sorry you had so many frustrations after the fire. Thank goodness you're home and can recover from your scary ordeal!

I did want to address the comments about expecting to receive priority because of a cabin type or C&A status. I'm Diamond, and we cruise in suites, but I wouldn't expect either of those to be considered in the aftermath of a fire. My assumption is that assistance (moves/relocation on the ship/transfer to hotel/flights, etc.) would be purely based on need and the degree someone was impacted by the fire. It sounds like your cabin was heavily impacted and somehow got overlooked.:( I think you should have been given more and faster assistance, but that's based on the report of damage to your cabin, not the fact that it was a JS or your Emerald C&A status.

That's the point I was making too.:) We are Diamond and cruise in JS or GS but would never expect priority in a situation such as this. It should be based on need. Status goes out the window in these situations. It's not the same thing as free drinks or show seatings, geez.

My question is, what friggin difference does it make what their status was or how many times they had been onboard that ship? No one should get priorty. Everyone should be treated the same. Are you saying they shouldn't?

You didn't ask me, but there is a priority in which people leave, in that someone goes first and someone goes last. I don't know how the cruise line assigns priority, but I would hope that those with medical conditions be expedited, followed by seniors, families with young children, etc. After these groups, do I think someone who pays $8000 for a suite should get off the ship faster than someone who pays for a regular cabin - sure - which is the way it works, or is supposed to work in normal circumstances, without much complaint.

Wow...getting out a Freeport was a nightmare...lol. Not sure RCCL could have done any more than they could though. Our 4pm flight finally arrived around 11 something last night in Baltimore. There are going to be horror stories....one plane sat at Freeport airport filled with passengers for 5 hours and I don't know why. An entire flight had their baggage lost. (they had a layover I think). Once we got to Bmore it was great except for the hotel checkin which was our final line to stand in after a very very long day.

They had a very nice set up at the airport...every 10 feet or so we were lead along the way and welcome by a standing RCCL rep. Welcome home..we are glad to see you. Hotel rooms were offered..$125 pp for incidentals will be refunded to us with reciepts. The Port of Baltimore is refunding our entire parking stay...you go BMORE!!!

Finally time to cut the umbilicial cord now. My DH and I are leaving in 30 mins to finish our vacation on the beach in OCMD. We got a really nice room. We made some very good friends thru this ordeal. In fact I think we had a very nice pizza/wine/beer party in the lobby of the hotel until after 2am.

I will be happy to answer any questions : )

I apologize in advance.

Our seniors are headed to Ocean City for their Senior Trip. :o

First and foremost, I am very happy that everyone involved is safe and making their way home. A special shout out to dharma for the great up-to-the-minute reports. We all appreciated it.

I can't comment on anyone's onboard experiences with this situation but I do want to comment about the situations reported at the airport and the delays. There isn't an airport in the islands that is set up to handle thousands of passengers trying to depart on a bunch of charters within a 24-hr span. My guess is they don't have the staff to handle the amount of passengers, luggage, etc. I'm guessing they were still dealing with the normal flights they have on any given day as well. While I'm certain the long airport delays added misery to a very difficult weekend, folks need to understand that these small island airports are ill-equipped to handle the kind of demand they just experienced. Dharma, this isn't directed at your comments but at other complaints I've read about regarding departures.

Trust me, I am in no way making light of this situation. I just think expectations on the situation at the airport were a bit unrealistic.

Once again, so happy everyone is OK.

You didn't ask me, but there is a priority in which people leave, in that someone goes first and someone goes last. I don't know how the cruise line assigns priority, but I would hope that those with medical conditions be expedited, followed by seniors, families with young children, etc. After these groups, do I think someone who pays $8000 for a suite should get off the ship faster than someone who pays for a regular cabin - sure - which is the way it works, or is supposed to work in normal circumstances, without much complaint.

Um, as a Diamond, I'm pretty sure I know how it works..... We're not talking about a normal situation. In an emergency situation such as this I don't give a flip what you paid. That's not how priorities should be made. Under normal circumstances, priority is by status, but that's not this situation, now is it?

I'm only referring to the poster who made the statement about status. Why is that so hard for some to comprehend? It's not about status, it's about NEED!!!!!

Read what I quoted the poster said. It's pretty clear that status is important to them, but it should never override the need in a situation like they found themselves in. It was not necessary to even bring up their status. I just found it extremely out of line and elitist.

Archived