Crown & Anchor points for recent Grandeur of the Seas sailing

Wow... this really impressed me. We just received e-mail from Crown & Anchor saying this:

Dear Marc,

We at Royal Caribbean International® are deeply sorry for the unexpected development in your recent vacation onboard Grandeur of the Seas®. We understand that this may have been a very stressful time for you and appreciate your cooperation in dealing with this unfortunate situation.

In addition to the compensation you have already received, as a member of the Crown & Anchor Society®, we would like to give you one extra cruise point for each night of your sailing. That means you will receive 14 points for an inside, outside or balcony stateroom and 21 points for a suite. Your extra points will be credited to your account in the next 90 days.

Thank you again for sailing with Royal Caribbean and for your continued loyalty as a member of the Crown & Anchor Society.

Sincerely,

Your Crown & Anchor Society Team

That's very impressive! I was figuring that the cruise wouldn't earn any points because it was fully refunded, or maybe just 3 or 4, but to grant the normal week's points and 7 additional points, well, that's a fantastic gesture!

Thanks, Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society!

Wow... this really impressed me. We just received e-mail from Crown & Anchor saying this:

That's very impressive! I was figuring that the cruise wouldn't earn any points because it was fully refunded, or maybe just 3 or 4, but to grant the normal week's points and 7 additional points, well, that's a fantastic gesture!

That's a really nice gesture. :)

Holy moley!

That is incredibly generous. And something that is of value to a cruiser! ;)

But you weren't onboard, Marc. Why is the letter addressed to you?

Heh heh... it's because my C&A account is linked with DH's, who was onboard. Not only did I get the e-mail, he got the message, too, on his email account. I often get e-mail from Royal Caribbean that starts off with "Dear Barry". I figure it's just some quirk of the way C&A handles spousal accounts.

Heh heh... it's because my C&A account is linked with DH's. Not only did I get the e-mail, he got the message, too, on his email account. I often get e-mail from Royal Caribbean that starts off with "Dear Barry". I figure it's just some quirk of the way C&A handles spousal accounts.

Funny!

Did Barry get home with any amusing or scary or touching stories to share?

Great to hear. I was wondering if the full 7 days would be rewarded. Awesome that they wen above and beyond. Hopefully all of those onboard are home safely. Scary ordeal to go through, but it looks like RCI handled it royally!

Did Barry get home with any amusing or scary or touching stories to share?

No, neither he nor Bryan had anything amusing, scary, or touching. They both commented extremely positively about the crew and their ability to handle the emergency excellently. They were certainly disappointed that their cruise ended prematurely, but thought that Royal Caribbean, in general, handled it well with getting people home safely from Freeport. They both agreed that the compensation was more than adequate, and Barry agrees with me that this step by Crown & Anchor is just another sign that Royal Caribbean is a strong and upstanding company.

The one complaint that I did hear from them was regarding poor communication from the crew after the emergency was over. When trying to get information, they'd be told incorrect or conflicting information by different crew members. They were left feeling confused about the real status. The crew was trying to be communicative, but it wasn't clear that the crew themselves necessarily had the right answers to pass along.

It's my opinion that although the crew practices emergency situations many times so that they can deal with them with utmost agility and care, they probably don't practice the what-do-you-do-after-the-emergency-is-over kinds of issues that can come up.

It's my opinion that although the crew practices emergency situations many times so that they can deal with them with utmost agility and care, they probably don't practice the what-do-you-do-after-the-emergency-is-over kinds of issues that can come up.

That is probably because it is easy to practice for real emergencies, but with each situation being somewhat different until superiors pass down instructions and information for aftercare the crew really doesn't know what the right answers are. They can't be practiced.

They can't be practiced.

That's probably true.

Maybe it's an opportunity for a process improvement, though. I don't know what procedures they have in place for post-crisis communications, but maybe they could have a more effective hierarchy of information dissemination for the crew.

That surprised me. I thought for sure they would consider the 7 points for a cruise you didn't pay for (since it was refunded) plus the additional 7 for the certificate to be enough. Really surprised they did this and never would have thought of this. Not sure any line has thought of cruise points as compensation. It really is brilliant on their part though. It doesn't cost them anything up front, only if you stay loyal which is what they have to work on with these guests after experiencing this. Hope everyone that receives this decides to put it to some use in the future!

Welcome to the Diamond club, Marc!

No, neither he nor Bryan had anything amusing, scary, or touching. They both commented extremely positively about the crew and their ability to handle the emergency excellently. They were certainly disappointed that their cruise ended prematurely, but thought that Royal Caribbean, in general, handled it well with getting people home safely from Freeport. They both agreed that the compensation was more than adequate, and Barry agrees with me that this step by Crown & Anchor is just another sign that Royal Caribbean is a strong and upstanding company.

The one complaint that I did hear from them was regarding poor communication from the crew after the emergency was over. When trying to get information, they'd be told incorrect or conflicting information by different crew members. They were left feeling confused about the real status. The crew was trying to be communicative, but it wasn't clear that the crew themselves necessarily had the right answers to pass along.

Glad Barry and Bryan got home fine and all is well. (Tell Bryan we said hi). You're probably correct that the crew's training kicked in during the emergency but afterwards they probably didn't really know what was what in terms of the status of the ship, etc.

Welcome to the Diamond club, Marc!

Thanks, but it's not official yet. I'll keep checking the web site. Hopefully, it'll be online in time for the Majesty cruise I'm planning for July.

Thanks, but it's not official yet. I'll keep checking the web site. Hopefully, it'll be online in time for the Majesty cruise I'm planning for July.

Given the circumstances of how the points were awarded I bet if you call RCI a couple of weeks ahead, if they are not shown they will arrange to have it affective with your Majesty cruise. Keep checking and give them call if needed - can't hurt.

BTW Tami and I think that how C & A handled this is terrific....and we will have that drink one day.....

I think that that issue is worth a thoughtful letter to Adam Goldstein's office.

I also think that it is human nature to want to give an answer when asked a question. The staff should be trained to say, "I am sorry but I do not know" instead of saying what they think the passenger wants to hear.

:)

I think that that issue is worth a thoughtful letter to Adam Goldstein's office.

I also think that it is human nature to want to give an answer when asked a question. The staff should be trained to say, "I am sorry but I do not know" instead of saying what they think the passenger wants to hear.

:)

Well, we have been finding out lately what happens when they say what the passenger doesn't want to hear.

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone who were on the GoTS sailing on 5/24. Went on RCCL today to check on upcoming cruises and also to check on points which have been missing from the 5/24 sailing. Long story short, check your points because the wrong amounts are being credited.

From the 5/31 message from RCCL:

"In addition to the compensation you have already received, as a member of the Crown & Anchor Society®, we would like to give you one extra cruise point for each night of your sailing. That means you will receive 14 points for an inside, outside or balcony stateroom and 21 points for a suite. Your extra points will be credited to your account in the next 90 days."

We were supposed to receive 21 points and only 7 are showing. Anyone else have the same problem?

I don't want to seem ungrateful because I'm glad we all (eventually) got off the ship safely and the Captain and Crew all did their jobs superbly, but just throwing the query out to everyone....

Archived