Not eating in MDR at all, fair to remove part of gratuities?

I don't think that tips are based on 3 meals a day in the MDR. I've never heard that before.

I think it's more likely that it's based on the fact that all auto tips are shared and that waiters rotate to the other dining venues on the ship.

For me it's just much easier to leave the auto tips in place and if there is anyone who went over and above for us (and there always are) then I tip extra to them personally.

:confused:Spending some big bucks on a superb and fabulous cruise, and then worry about beating the great staff out of the well deserved gratuity, I just never understand that mindset.

I don't get it, either. You're probably going to spend upwards of $4,000 (on the low end, right?) for three people on an Allure cruise, but then haggle about a PORTION of $14 a day on tips? That extra $70 going to break anyone?

Especially for those who are fortunate enough to have the resources to cruise every year...geez. Just pay the darn tips.

People are really going overboard on the OP's original question. There was no implication they were cheap or going to remove the tips or even thought it appropriate. They asked a simple question because they didn't know the answer.

I personally think the auto daily tipping is a huge mistake for the crew. I've gotten notice in my stateroom since it's been implemented that the tip also goes to other behind the scenes personnel. I don't for a minute trust anyone to divide it up fairly or in the amounts as it was before. I preferred a cash system. This was all done for the company's bottom line, not for the crew. Wages have been reduced to my understanding as "gratuities" are being taken automatically. I certainly don't think auto gratuities are necessarily an increase or guarantee of pay for the crew. We'll see how it all works out. Just as we'll see how it works out now that the company has forced room mates at levels that previously had solo rooms. There is a real shake down going on and this auto gratuity thing is all part of it. I for one believe the crew may make less because of it and not more.

I'd rather tip all cash and not have it be anyone's business including the company's.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't go reduce the auto-gratuity - not even for less than stellar service. In that case, I just wouldn't tip extra.

And yes, go ahead. I'm ready....teflon suit on!! :D

Gina

Not sure this is true,our last two cruises on the Explorer early seating was wait listed.MTD always seems to be available.And we book nine months to a year in advance. Have a great next cruise

I wish Royal Caribbean had a way that a person who never wishes could go to the MDR could opt (that is not be assigned to a traditional table or the MTD section). Tips from such passengers could go to those staffing evening WJ and other venues that cruise.

But that is not currently an option, so I'd sign up for the less in-demand dining time; late in your example. And I'd go the the MadreD on day one and tell them our plans so he can use the table as needed.

I have gotten my dining preferences on each of my recent cruises. When I have been waitlisted, most often it has been for MTD.

I have recently seen more CC reports of closed traditional dining times way in advance of the cruise. It makes me think they are not opening all the slots, instead holding slots back. Or reserved blocks are holding them, perhaps.

Just curious... but does this mean that OP (or anyone) would not have to feel obligated to tip in the specialty restaurants or the people serving them in the suite since the tips are already prepaid? It seems to me they would be covered by the original gratuities. OP (or anyone) would always feel welcome to tip extra for extra good service of course and that's totally at their discretion.

Tom

Anything can be justified in your own mind I guess but I have to say absolutely NO on this one.

If you arent using the MDR or WJ for dinner, Im sure you will at some point in the cruise for breakfast and lunch. Paying the recommended gratuities covers that.

Fair/unfair- whatever.

But, as it turns out, we are going to do the same thing on the Oasis this comeing weekend. trying not to MDR, so schedule it to be MTD, specialty, snacks, etc.

For us, we are leaving the tip ON. Even though the specialty restaurants will add some tip on, we will also be using many free food areas of the ship where we do get service. So we are paying the tip.

If others thinks that is excessive- I really don't care- it's my money. If others think we should pay more tip for the specialties- that remains to be seen- based on what we get. I know the money is pooled together, and I also know personal money goes to that person. Where I do that, we will figure next week.

But to the OP's question- doing the exact same plan, we do plan on paying the standard tip.

People are really going overboard on the OP's original question. There was no implication they were cheap or going to remove the tips or even thought it appropriate. They asked a simple question because they didn't know the answer.

I personally think the auto daily tipping is a huge mistake for the crew. I've gotten notice in my stateroom since it's been implemented that the tip also goes to other behind the scenes personnel. I don't for a minute trust anyone to divide it up fairly or in the amounts as it was before. I preferred a cash system. This was all done for the company's bottom line, not for the crew. Wages have been reduced to my understanding as "gratuities" are being taken automatically. I certainly don't think auto gratuities are necessarily an increase or guarantee of pay for the crew. We'll see how it all works out. Just as we'll see how it works out now that the company has forced room mates at levels that previously had solo rooms. There is a real shake down going on and this auto gratuity thing is all part of it. I for one believe the crew may make less because of it and not more.

I'd rather tip all cash and not have it be anyone's business including the company's.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't go reduce the auto-gratuity - not even for less than stellar service. In that case, I just wouldn't tip extra.

And yes, go ahead. I'm ready....teflon suit on!! :D

Gina

Thanks for explaining it so well.

Thanks for explaining it so well.

Although I was sort of wrong in one thing OP said. They did say they didn't see it as appropriate to tip for a service they don't use. They won't be able to remove it even if they made the decision that they wanted to remove it. Not for MTD.

But I still think the OP was just asking, to try to understand, not because they wanted to cause harm to the MTD crew.

Gina

TBF the tips are based on 3 meals a day in the MDR.

So it's justified to remove "some" of the gratuity IMO.

Where did you get this info from? Never read or heard it stated.

In response to OP's original question..I do no think the tips should be removed or adjusted. As others have already stated you are eating breakfast, lunch and snacks somewhere on the ship.

Just curious... but does this mean that OP (or anyone) would not have to feel obligated to tip in the specialty restaurants or the people serving them in the suite since the tips are already prepaid? It seems to me they would be covered by the original gratuities. OP (or anyone) would always feel welcome to tip extra for extra good service of course and that's totally at their discretion.

Tom

I would say no one should feel like they must tip extra to anyone when tips are already included. Not in any restaurant, stateroom attendant or bar service either. But many DO choose to pay extra based on service received.

One who is NOT included at all in any tipping prepayment would be the concierge or barserver in a concierge or diamond lounge. Those positions should always be tipped in full based on service received. RCI has sort of done all of those people a dis-service with the auto gratuity program because many suite cruisers, many who are first time cruisers, believe all tips are covered with the daily tipping policy. The concierges have been put in a bad position of trying to explain it without appearing to be asking for a tip.

Gina

Although I was sort of wrong in one thing OP said. They did say they didn't see it as appropriate to tip for a service they don't use. They won't be able to remove it even if they made the decision that they wanted to remove it. Not for MTD.

But I still think the OP was just asking, to try to understand, not because they wanted to cause harm to the MTD crew.

Gina

I agree. And I think, to newer cruisers (and maybe to some vets!), it's a very valid question. I understand why it's asked.

This was all done for the company's bottom line, not for the crew. Wages have been reduced to my understanding as "gratuities" are being taken automatically. I certainly don't think auto gratuities are necessarily an increase or guarantee of pay for the crew. We'll see how it all works out. Just as we'll see how it works out now that the company has forced room mates at levels that previously had solo rooms. There is a real shake down going on and this auto gratuity thing is all part of it. I for one believe the crew may make less because of it and not more.

Tipping cash is no longer an option (unless you wish to overtip) so stop whining about it and move on to what to REAL.

How would you know wages have been reduced? Been told that by your favorite cabin attendant?

How would you know the company "forced room mates" on some staff?

Personally it sounds to me like you should enjoy your cruise rather than gossiping with crew while onboard (Thinking what they are telling you is gospel might be a huge mistake.) and stop wishing that things were as they were in the past instead of accepting that Royal has the right to make changes and run the company as they see fit..

I think this is caused, a lot at least, but the fact that the whole tipping paradigm is so obfuscated these days. Traditionally, the word "tip" or "gratuity" is an optional something extra one pays when they were really happy with the service. The cruise industry has blurred the lines between tip and service charge so much that it isn't unreasonable that people are confused by it. The breakdown (at least previously) always listed an amount of tip for the MDR waiter and asst. waiter so it isn't unreasonable to think that if one is not using them at all then the tip could be directed to those that are being used instead.

It doesn't mean OP is cheap (as some have insinuated). It just means the whole thing is confusing. On one hand they say the tip is for the waiter/asst. waiter, but on the other hand they say it's being used for the buffet workers as well??? If so, why not say that clearly?

This tip threads pop up so often because, I believe, people are genuinely confused by the cruise lines redefinition of what tips/gratuities really mean.

The whole "it's such a small amount just pay it" excuse doesn't work either. Maybe some of the posters here are wealthy enough to just pay "whatever" without question, but some of us still work for a living and want to make sure we're paying for what we should. I even read my credit card statement and phone bills still. I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

I think the service is half the experience so easily worthy of extra reward if great. Tipping has been, until recently, a great way, typically, of giving that reward.

Tom

:confused:Spending some big bucks on a superb and fabulous cruise, and then worry about beating the great staff out of the well deserved gratuity, I just never understand that mindset.

Tipping cash is no longer an option (unless you wish to overtip) so stop whining about it and move on to what to REAL.

How do you figure? You can still remove the tips from your account by requesting it at guest services and tip in all cash if that is someone's preference. I think it's too much hassle but some prefer it. (Unless you are on mtd)

As I recall when last I signed up for MTD, people on MTD agree to leave all tips intact; no adjustments. That is what make MTD appealing to waitstaff and the reason MTD gets good waiters.

Please realize there are only a limited number of MTD slots, while there are many more traditional dining slots. MTD slots often fill, leaving people who want MTD on a waitlist, hoping somebody drops out. So, if you do not want MTD, it is unkind take a slot from somebody who does want it. And if you wish to adjust tips, it is also counterproductive for you.

Like others, I think you should consider leaving the tips. If you are inclined to reduce the tips, then get yourself out of MTD, get your prepaid tips back, and deal with guest services on the ship. The wait who expected team in their section will be disadvantaged if you never give them a shot at pleasing you, but in traditional dining that is your right should you insist on doing so.

It is not "unkind".

The system forces you to chose a dining time and if mtd is the only one available then that's what they had to pick. Regardless of which dining option they chose, I'm sure there will always be someone that would have liked that time but didn't get it. What the cruise lines should do is add an option that allows you to select no mdr dining so those that have no intention of ever eating in the mdr dont have to select any dining time.

I don't get it, either. You're probably going to spend upwards of $4,000 (on the low end, right?) for three people on an Allure cruise, but then haggle about a PORTION of $14 a day on tips? That extra $70 going to break anyone?

Especially for those who are fortunate enough to have the resources to cruise every year...geez. Just pay the darn tips.

Not even close, Grand Suite will set you back $7-8000 for three.

...Regardless of which dining option they chose, I'm sure there will always be someone that would have liked that time but didn't get it. What the cruise lines should do is add an option that allows you to select no mdr dining so those that have no intention of ever eating in the mdr dont have to select any dining time.

I agree. I wish they'd do that.

Not sure this is true,our last two cruises on the Explorer early seating was wait listed.MTD always seems to be available.And we book nine months to a year in advance. Have a great next cruise

FYI I just booked Oasis for February 2014 (8 months in advance) and MTD was the only thing available. Couldn't even waitlist for early dining. It can go either way.

With all the choices now on places to eat I think the cruiselines should have a look at modifying the dining selections. There should be an option for people who can opt out of the MDR completely as there are many people who choose to only eat at the speciality restaurants, buffets and the smaller venues. If you choose this option no place will be reserved for you in the MDR and you won't be able to dine there. Their tips can then be dispersed to those staff members at the other venues instead.

I think this will also help with the empty seats in the MDR - too many times I see two people sitting at an 6 or 8 top by themselves....sometimes every night. If you klnow you won't be eating in the MDR you should be able to opt out IMO. (and I mean opt out of the MDR not out of the tips)

OP, I think you should leave the tips in place - it's not the wait staff's fault you will not be eating in the MDR and a place will be reserved for you in their section regardless. And like others have said, they still work in the other venues.

I think this is caused, a lot at least, but the fact that the whole tipping paradigm is so obfuscated these days. Traditionally, the word "tip" or "gratuity" is an optional something extra one pays when they were really happy with the service. The cruise industry has blurred the lines between tip and service charge so much that it isn't unreasonable that people are confused by it. The breakdown (at least previously) always listed an amount of tip for the MDR waiter and asst. waiter so it isn't unreasonable to think that if one is not using them at all then the tip could be directed to those that are being used instead.

It doesn't mean OP is cheap (as some have insinuated). It just means the whole thing is confusing. On one hand they say the tip is for the waiter/asst. waiter, but on the other hand they say it's being used for the buffet workers as well??? If so, why not say that clearly?

This tip threads pop up so often because, I believe, people are genuinely confused by the cruise lines redefinition of what tips/gratuities really mean.

The whole "it's such a small amount just pay it" excuse doesn't work either. Maybe some of the posters here are wealthy enough to just pay "whatever" without question, but some of us still work for a living and want to make sure we're paying for what we should. I even read my credit card statement and phone bills still. I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.

I think the service is half the experience so easily worthy of extra reward if great. Tipping has been, until recently, a great way, typically, of giving that reward.

Tom

And I think you are 100% correct.

You probably read the label on food, too. I mean the back and not just the front. ;)

Gina

Archived