Not eating in MDR at all, fair to remove part of gratuities?

And I have to say again, thanks to those who gave reasoned responses. We are not removing any tips, but it turns out we cannot even if we wanted to do so.

When you are charged with no ability to remove it even if poor service, that's a fee, no different than baggage check fee on airlines.

The industry needs to rename it to the service fee, not the automatic gratuities.

But does it matter what it is called? If you are going to pay it, pay it.

Beginning, middle and end of story.

As I posted in another thread - my total gratuities are paid as part of my cruise fare before I board the ship. I know that the money is shared with other staff, just like many land based restaurants, so I just leave it where it is and not worry about such a few dollars. I don't advocate throwing money away, but honestly, parsing your daily service charge?

I never knew that until a friend that works as a server in a national chain restaurant told me. She said that when you write your tip in on your debit or credit card receipt that it is split among the others on the staff (Busboy, bartenders, other servers, etc ). After that when we go there (We always ask to be seated in her section), we tip her cash and put it right in her hand before we leave.

Dont usually read tipping threads...BUT this one hooked me for several reasons.

I have never and would never reduce the automatic tips. That is part of the cruise cost to us and it HAS to hurt someone who has helped us have a great experience if we drop them. Also we always give extra to those who really made our experience better.

Comments on Posts that caught my attention:

I have never thought about if you only eat in the WJ and no one actually serves you, it does make sense to tip less because the service level is less. valid argument.

What planet are you from thinking tipping if for EXCEPTIONAL service? That is not true in the US where servers are allowed to be paid $2 an hour and patrons are expected to make up the difference if they do their job, not exceptionally, just do their job. EXTRA tip is expected for EXCEPTIONAL service, but minimal tips is expected because they make nothing.

Do people really eat 3 meals a day in their suites? I would hate that.

Do people really NEVER go to the MDR? I would hate that.

To the OP. My opinion is to pay the tips because some hardworking person away from their family will be hurt if you don't. It is a minimal amount considering what we are paying to cruise. If you choose not to use their services, they are still stuck with you for the week and no one else is paying them NOT to serve you. It is their pay for the week. JMHO

I never knew that until a friend that works as a server in a national chain restaurant told me. She said that when you write your tip in on your debit or credit card receipt that it is split among the others on the staff (Busboy, bartenders, other servers, etc ). After that when we go there (We always ask to be seated in her section), we tip her cash and put it right in her hand before we leave.

It is quite common for restaurants, like cruise ships, to split tips among all service personnel and not just the folks on the front line. Waiters who get tipped in cash, much like stewards, may be obligated by restaurant or cruise policy to split their tips.

I tip according to how I felt the service was. I never inquire into how the waiter or restaurant intend to share that tip, if at all, with other service personnel.

Comments on Posts that caught my attention:

I have never thought about if you only eat in the WJ and no one actually serves you, it does make sense to tip less because the service level is less. valid argument.

I would quibble on this one.

granted, we generally avoid buffets like the plague, but on the rare occasion we do, someone always comes over and offers to get us a drink, and will swoop in and clear our plates almost before the fork hits the rim. Plus on cruises where the N word is whispered in hushed voices, there will be people standing at the door making you de germify your hands, will hand you a plate and flatware and may even plop a ladle full of grits on your plate for you.. plus all the made to order omelets, paninis and carving your beef on Weck in front of you.

heck in the Park Cafe some kid in a Hawaiian print shirt stands like a vulture sweeping his gaze over the entire area and heaven forfend you actually try and clean up after yourself!

I look at it this way: the tips/gratuities/service charge/whatever is a minimum I can expect to spend. I also know that the amount of extra the server gets in a specialty is not the entire amount of the up charge so will gauge any extra accordingly.

People get far too hung up on narrow definitions of the word tip or gratuity or 'special service'

Do people really eat 3 meals a day in their suites? I would hate that.

Do people really NEVER go to the MDR? I would hate that.

Yes and yes so now maybe you can try to see why this whole pre-tip thing does not wash for so many of us!!

Borrowing your logic.

We don't go to shows, nor do we use the gym. We will eat our main meal in onshore restaurants (6 days out of seven). Therefore, I want my cruise fare reduced. Why should we pay for services we never use, for food we don't eat?

I believe everybody should remove the pre-paid tips from their account, and then pay their waiters according to the service received.

Behind-the-scenes employees are not warranted to received tips. Someday, when they have paid their dues in the workplace, then they will get the chance to interact with customers and have the choice to offer regular service or EXCEPTIONAL, at which time they may or may not receive tips.

However, unless a customer has a face-to-face interaction with an employee and comes away from that interaction feeling like they just experienced something exceptional, they should NOT be guilted into tipping!!!!

!!!!!

With all due respect to all posting here:

It should be in no way shape of form any of our business what these folks make.

It is our personal business to tip and personal preference on how we each do tip.

simple as that!!

I don't go around asking any of you how much you make. Why-because my Mom taught me it's none of your business and not a question to ask. It's just plain rude!!

*LIKE*

Would these same people who make all these speculations mind telling us what they make ?

Opinion poll....

On our upcoming Allure cruise, due to eating at 4 specialties and in suite the other nights most likely, we do not forsee us eating in the MDR at all.

We are on MTD (because early/late normal was not available), so our gratuities were prepaid when we booked the cruise. (that's a separate issue, we always pay gratuities gratefully, but do not like it being pre-applied).

Are we justified/ok with removing part of the gratuities from our bill? The webpage doesn't even break it down anymore, just 14.25/day/pp for our suite.

Again, we always tip, and often give extra for service above and beyond. And we do appreciate that the MDR service folks depend on their tips to flush out their wages.

We just do not see it as appropriate in tipping someone that we will never use and that will perform no service for us.

Your thoughts?

I have no opinion on how you choose to spend your money. Do what you feel is right and don't worry about what people on this board say. It's your money

With all due respect to all posting here:

It should be in no way shape of form any of our business what these folks make.

It is our personal business to tip and personal preference on how we each do tip.

simple as that!!

I don't go around asking any of you how much you make. Why-because my Mom taught me it's none of your business and not a question to ask. It's just plain rude!!

I am afraid I disagree with you.

If we want to know and be bothered to find out what "these folk" make then it is our business. It can colour how we choose to tip. Therefore relevant.

We are having a discussion about how we tip. So that's everybody's business.

I wouldn't have a problem asking about salary. Its essential these days. Workers need to know if a colleague is being paid more or less than them . Secrecy is a thing of the past.

I think what your mom taught you mighty have been right once upon a time but not now. We all need to reflect on how times change. It was once right to demean other human beings. Think apartheid for instance. But not today.

Try to open your views a little and watch the light flood in!

If we want to know and be bothered to find out what "these folk" make then it is our business. It can colour how we choose to tip. Therefore relevant.

I wouldn't have a problem asking about salary. Its essential these days. Workers need to know if a colleague is being paid more or less than them . Secrecy is a thing of the past.

I think what your mom taught you mighty have been right once upon a time but not now. We all need to reflect on how times change. It was once right to demean other human beings. Think apartheid for instance. But not today.

Let's say we'll agree to disagree.

What my Mom taught me, I taught my kids and I hope that they will also teach my future grand-kids!!:D

So would you ask your tablemates in the dining room what they make and disclose what you make to them. Or is it just ok to speculate on "those folks" that serve you

So would you ask your tablemates in the dining room what they make and disclose what you make to them. Or is it just ok to speculate on "those folks" that serve you

No problem if it were relevant to a conversation. I wouldn't just come out with it randomly.

I have no opinion on how you choose to spend your money. Do what you feel is right and don't worry about what people on this board say. It's your money

The glitch in your post is that the Original Poster POSTED the question on this message board and ASKED the opinion of the members of Cruise Critic.

Let's say we'll agree to disagree.

What my Mom taught me, I taught my kids and I hope that they will also teach my future grand-kids!!:D

I agree with you and I think it is incredibly bad manners to ask someone what they make. I don't even ask my friends what their job pays because it is none of my business and they don't know what I make. And really how does me knowing what someone else gets paid have any impact on me?

I agree with you and I think it is incredibly bad manners to ask someone what they make. I don't even ask my friends what their job pays because it is none of my business and they don't know what I make. And really how does me knowing what someone else gets paid have any impact on me?

Heck, I didn't want to ask my DAUGHTER what she is making, and I am sorry that I did. She makes more than I do! :eek:

Sometimes, you just make way too much sense. :p

Sometimes, you just make way too much sense. :p

Ha! I have random moments of clarity. ;)

I just can't understand this need to know what people on a ship earn. Will it impact how much someone tips if they know the room steward makes more than people thought? Whether they make $50 or $5000 a month I would still tip the same as they work in a tipped position. How much they make in that position has zero affect on whether or not they provided good service to me.

When I go to a land restaurant I don't question the server there on how much they make. I don't ask my doctor or taxi driver or a customer service rep for my cable company. I don't even ask my siblings or parents what their income is. Because it has no relevance in my life and is none of my business.

Whether they make $50 or $5000 a month I would still tip the same as they work in a tipped position. .

I agree with you totally. I dont care what they make. If Im provided great service, they WILL be rewarded.

Its just like I have no idea if the Porters make minimum wage or a 6 figure salary that some here claim they do. I STILL give them a few bucks a bag for helping me. :)

Years ago when I worked in a restaurant waiters and bartenders had to share all of their tips with the busboys and hostesses. It didn't matter if they were given in cash or put on a credit card.

Archived