Not eating in MDR at all, fair to remove part of gratuities?

Tipping cash is no longer an option (unless you wish to overtip) so stop whining about it and move on to what to REAL.

How would you know wages have been reduced? Been told that by your favorite cabin attendant?

How would you know the company "forced room mates" on some staff?

Personally it sounds to me like you should enjoy your cruise rather than gossiping with crew while onboard (Thinking what they are telling you is gospel might be a huge mistake.) and stop wishing that things were as they were in the past instead of accepting that Royal has the right to make changes and run the company as they see fit..

Not sure if DCL is different than other lines but on our last cruise we went to Guest Services and had all the gratuities removed from our on board charges and paid each person cash.

With all due respect to all posting here:

It should be in no way shape of form any of our business what these folks make.

It is our personal business to tip and personal preference on how we each do tip.

simple as that!!

I don't go around asking any of you how much you make. Why-because my Mom taught me it's none of your business and not a question to ask. It's just plain rude!!

I agree. That was just something you didn't ask people.

I work for a municipality. For years the local newspaper used to post the previous years 50 or 100 top city wage earners . For a couple years , I actually made the list (Wayyyyyyyyyyyy down on the list, but on the list none the less.). Trust me it was nothing to brag about . I got on that list those years because of illnesses and 2 sudden retirements , I practically lived there with all the OT.

It wasn't worth all the smart comments I had to deal with . "Ahhhhh buy your daughter a new car for God's sake you can afford it" "If I had all your money , I'd burn all of mine.

Somethings are just none of anyone's business

Not sure if DCL is different than other lines but on our last cruise we went to Guest Services and had all the gratuities removed from our on board charges and paid each person cash.

Why? I read how people want to stand in line a guest services to remove the gratuities so they can show the staff how generous they are. I just don't get it. Really, this is how some people want to spend part of the last hours of your vacation, standing in a line for no reason? :confused:

The staff knows you left a tip. Why not just thank them without money exchanging hands? I always found that part of the envelope system (even when it was my voucher because we prepay) the most distasteful. I do take the time to thank my cabin attendant for their help during my cruise and I think that is appreciated. When I give extra, I'm sure that is appreciated even more. ;)

I think it is time to resurrect the tipping poll. Let me see if I can find it. :D

Why? I read how people want to stand in line a guest services to remove the gratuities so they can show the staff how generous they are. I just don't get it. Really, this is how some people want to spend part of the last hours of your vacation, standing in a line for no reason? :confused:

No line, and you don't have to do it in the last hours of your vacation either. For some, there is a 'reason' to do it.

So would you ask your tablemates in the dining room what they make and disclose what you make to them. Or is it just ok to speculate on "those folks" that serve you

Are you kidding? I make the provide a credit report and references before they sit down. :D

Opinion poll....

On our upcoming Allure cruise, due to eating at 4 specialties and in suite the other nights most likely, we do not forsee us eating in the MDR at all.

We are on MTD (because early/late normal was not available), so our gratuities were prepaid when we booked the cruise. (that's a separate issue, we always pay gratuities gratefully, but do not like it being pre-applied).

Are we justified/ok with removing part of the gratuities from our bill? The webpage doesn't even break it down anymore, just 14.25/day/pp for our suite.

Again, we always tip, and often give extra for service above and beyond. And we do appreciate that the MDR service folks depend on their tips to flush out their wages.

We just do not see it as appropriate in tipping someone that we will never use and that will perform no service for us.

Your thoughts?

No, you should not have the tips removed just because you are not using their service. The employees do count on these tips. Now if you do go and receive bad service...then removing the tips is justified because the server(s) had control over the type of service you received. Just because you choose to dine elsewhere and not allow them the opportunity to provide their services is not a reason to remove the tips.

Opinion poll....

On our upcoming Allure cruise, due to eating at 4 specialties and in suite the other nights most likely, we do not forsee us eating in the MDR at all.

We are on MTD (because early/late normal was not available), so our gratuities were prepaid when we booked the cruise. (that's a separate issue, we always pay gratuities gratefully, but do not like it being pre-applied).

Are we justified/ok with removing part of the gratuities from our bill? The webpage doesn't even break it down anymore, just 14.25/day/pp for our suite.

Again, we always tip, and often give extra for service above and beyond. And we do appreciate that the MDR service folks depend on their tips to flush out their wages.

We just do not see it as appropriate in tipping someone that we will never use and that will perform no service for us.

Your thoughts?

In a word, No you should not consider removing any of your prepaid gratuities IMHO.

We recently sailed on Allure and prepaid for MTD but only ate dinner in the MDR on 2 occasions. We ate at speciality restaurants for the remainder where the cover charge also included gratuities. Did we remove any of our prepaid gratuities, No. You know why? It's because we ate breakfast in the MDR, Johnny Rockets, Park Café, lunch at the Solarium Bistro, Park Café, Windjammer and Johnny Rockets (OK there's a cover charge for this one at lunch). I consider that prepaid gratuities are not solely for the staff who serve you at dinner, but at all venues onboard.

Where do you intend to take breakfast and lunch? Gratuities should be proffered for the service you receive for these meals too.

Wow, that was a slap in the face reading all of these comments.

I don't care if Archaegeo has been on one hundred cruises, the question was still a question, whether you see it as stirring the pot or not.

This will be my first cruise coming up in December and I read through 7 pages to find answers to something that may or may not be an issue to me (but you can't have enough answers to any question) that were really rude.

I will know now to be careful when asking questions from now on. Maybe it is an issue that a lot of the posts came from seasoned cruisers that have heard this too many times but if that is the case then maybe no comment at all would be better than a rude one!

The staff knows you left a tip. Why not just thank them without money exchanging hands? I always found that part of the envelope system (even when it was my voucher because we prepay) the most distasteful. I do take the time to thank my cabin attendant for their help during my cruise and I think that is appreciated. When I give extra, I'm sure that is appreciated even more. ;)

I think it is time to resurrect the tipping poll. Let me see if I can find it. :D

There was no line when we went to Guest Services.

When we received our envelopes in our stateroom, the attached paper showed a breakdown of who was getting a tip and what percentage they were getting. We absolutely LOVED our head server (Sylvester). However his name was not listed as our head server. This also happened with our room steward. Thinking maybe their name tag is not their real name we asked. We found out the people named on our gratuity list were not the people who took such good care of us. So we asked the people at our table what we should do. They suggested that we go to Guest Services and remove the gratuities and give them the cash. We didn't care about getting credit for it. We just wanted to make sure that it went to right people. Until I read some of these tipping threads I was not aware of the pooling of the money. Otherwise we would have left it alone and handed them extra cash on the last night. And yes we did give the more than the amount suggested by DCL. They deserved it!!:)

Wow, that was a slap in the face reading all of these comments.

I don't care if Archaegeo has been on one hundred cruises, the question was still a question, whether you see it as stirring the pot or not.

This will be my first cruise coming up in December and I read through 7 pages to find answers to something that may or may not be an issue to me (but you can't have enough answers to any question) that were really rude.

I will know now to be careful when asking questions from now on. Maybe it is an issue that a lot of the posts came from seasoned cruisers that have heard this too many times but if that is the case then maybe no comment at all would be better than a rude one!

Agreed. As I am finding out you also have to be careful when providing answers. People assume they know your motives and will make snarky remarks when all you are doing is stating a fact.

There was no line when we went to Guest Services.

When we received our envelopes in our stateroom, the attached paper showed a breakdown of who was getting a tip and what percentage they were getting. We absolutely LOVED our head server (Sylvester). However his name was not listed as our head server. This also happened with our room steward. Thinking maybe their name tag is not their real name we asked. We found out the people named on our gratuity list were not the people who took such good care of us. So we asked the people at our table what we should do. They suggested that we go to Guest Services and remove the gratuities and give them the cash. We didn't care about getting credit for it. We just wanted to make sure that it went to right people. Until I read some of these tipping threads I was not aware of the pooling of the money. Otherwise we would have left it alone and handed them extra cash on the last night. And yes we did give the more than the amount suggested by DCL. They deserved it!!:)

Thank you for the information. I will check that out on our next cruise.

The whole tipping while on board thing is rediculous and has been for years. Just add to my fare and give it to the crew working that cruise.

And yes, the cover charges at specialties do cover tips (and other things) for those workers.

Just add to my fare and give it to the crew working that cruise.

Agreed. The cruise lines have developed a system and have hired people based on that system. The amount is so low (less than two drinks per day) and the process is so incredibly simple I don't understand why there is so much need to complicate it.

I love not having to even think about it unless I want to give someone a little extra.

Our service has always been outstanding.

Please give me feed back on his one..............

While on Oasis/Allure We get the 4 night dinner package and eat at Chops the first night BOGO. That leaves 5 nights in Specialty Rest. The other two nights we usually play it by ear, either eating off ship or Tapas etc. We take our breakfasts and lunches in the CL. We tip cash every day for lunch and brkfst in the CL We never set foot in the MDR or the WNDJMMR. The am/lunch waiters in the CL are from chops or park rest.

We have favorite servers in Chops and Giovanni's and always over tip while there and always over tip in any specialty restaurant.

The last two times I allowed the added gratuity for mdr service but did not really want to pay. I am now thinking I'll have the MDR grat removed on my Dec. 2013 Allure trip. I am not using their services and spending a lot of $$$ in other venues. Why should I pay?

Please give me feed back on his one..............

While on Oasis/Allure We get the 4 night dinner package and eat at Chops the first night BOGO. That leaves 5 nights in Specialty Rest. The other two nights we usually play it by ear, either eating off ship or Tapas etc. We take our breakfasts and lunches in the CL. We tip cash every day for lunch and brkfst in the CL We never set foot in the MDR or the WNDJMMR. The am/lunch waiters in the CL are from chops or park rest.

We have favorite servers in Chops and Giovanni's and always over tip while there and always over tip in any specialty restaurant.

The last two times I allowed the added gratuity for mdr service but did not really want to pay. I am now thinking I'll have the MDR grat removed on my Dec. 2013 Allure trip. I am not using their services and spending a lot of $$$ in other venues. Why should I pay?

I would still pay the recommended gratuities (that doesn't make it right, it is just what I would do). There are people that contribute to the enjoyment of your cruise that you may or may not come into direct contact with that benefit from the daily gratuities. I would not want to neglect those people. Here is the verbiage from the website.

Q: How does my gratuity help the crew and who does it go to? s.gif A: Our guests' complete satisfaction is the goal of every crew and staff member onboard. The gratuity is shared between the crew members who serve guests throughout their vacation.

Guest gratuities go to the following crew and staff members:

• Dining Services
  • Stateroom Attendant
  • Other Housekeeping Personnel

I know many people would disagree with me. To each his own.

Edit: Keep in mind that only a portion of the gratuity is for dining services (about the cost of one drink per day). The balance is for stateroom attendant and housekeeping.

I would still pay the recommended gratuities (that doesn't make it right, it is just what I would do). There are people that contribute to the enjoyment of your cruise that you may or may not come into direct contact with that benefit from the daily gratuities. I would not want to neglect those people. Here is the verbiage from the website.

Q: How does my gratuity help the crew and who does it go to? s.gif A: Our guests' complete satisfaction is the goal of every crew and staff member onboard. The gratuity is shared between the crew members who serve guests throughout their vacation.

Guest gratuities go to the following crew and staff members:

• Dining Services
  • Stateroom Attendant
  • Other Housekeeping Personnel

I know many people would disagree with me. To each his own.

Edit: Keep in mind that only a portion of the gratuity is for dining services (about the cost of one drink per day). The balance is for stateroom attendant and housekeeping.

Yes, and this is why I have paid it up until now.........However, I am paying so much for extra dining venues and tips. I feel like I am being squeezed just a little.........

Yes, and this is why I have paid it up until now.........However, I am paying so much for extra dining venues and tips. I feel like I am being squeezed just a little.........

The extra you are paying amounts to about the price of a drink. I like to think of it this way because then I realize what a great bargain the incredible service is.

Money (and parting with it) is a very personal matter. You need to do what feels right to you.

Archived