Venice or Mestre

mikeriv79

Cruising out of Venice in September. Looking to stay three nights post cruise. Is it better(cost, convenience) to stay in the city of Venice or stay in Mestre and take transportation to Venice for sightseeing?

Cruising out of Venice in September. Looking to stay three nights post cruise. Is it better(cost, convenience) to stay in the city of Venice or stay in Mestre and take transportation to Venice for sightseeing?

My vote is for Mestre. We just came back (last week) from Adriatic cruise and stayed in Mestre pre-cruise. It was the best decision I've ever made! Initially, I booked probably 3 different hotels in Venice. But the price for the water-taxi or the option of taking public transportation and then to drag the suite cases over the bridges was scary like hell! Finally we chose Hotel Plaza in Mestre. Super!!! The hotel is right across the train station. I think the cost of the ticket is 1.20 EURO and you can get it right at your hotel (don't forget to validate it!). The ride is 5-7 minutes to Venezia Santa Lucia train station - and you can start your walk to the main attractions!

When we were walking around Venice on the first day I was so tired that I couldn't carry my small camera. I was horrified by just looking at people who were dragging their luggage over the bridges. Of course, you can always hire a porter, but it's not cheap.

If you've never been to Venice, my suggestions would be to stay in Venice for the best experience.

We now stay in Mestre at the Best Western Hotel Bologna. It's right across the street from the train station for quick and easy access to Venice by train or bus. It's much less expensive to stay in Mestre and easier to get to and from the cruise port by land taxi.

Lew

Eurocruiser has the best response: would you go to New York City for vacation and stay in Hoboken?

Yes, Mestre is much cheaper, but lacks any charm. Venice is an amazing city and after three visits I still would not consider staying any place else.

On our last visit we stayed in Cannareggio, which is a bit off the beaten path (a good thing in this case) and the rates were lower there. We stayed at http://www.eurostarsresidenzacannaregio.com/

Cost is important to some; location to others. While I'm not, in general, a "splurge' sort of person, I do like to stay in hotels that are centrally located if I am planning to sightsee in a city for a period of time before cruising. If I were planning to stay in Venice for more than one night, I'd want to be well located in Venice. If I were staying for just one night before a cruise, I'd stay in Piazzale Roma as a compromise.

I would not stay in Mestre. Strictly my humble opinion. As I pack light and travel on my own, the slight inconvenience of getting the people mover and walking a bit with luggage outweighs staying far away from where I most want to be, e.g., Venice proper.

I hear myself Cathy!

A few times in recent years I've had a reason to take a local bus from New Jersey into Manhattan; the last couple of stops before the city were at new hotels (Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc.) and dozens of people got on at each stop. They were families who wanted to visit New York but who didn't want to pay or could not justify Manhattan prices. I started chatting with one of the dads and he said the difference in price was shocking (his word) and meant the difference for his family between a two night stay and a five night one. The inconvenience of the bus rides each day, and of not having a room to stop into for a break during the day, and missing out on some of the nighttime action, were outweighed by the "shocking" cost differential. I get that.

I also hear an old math professor in my head on these kind of questions - how much weight do you put on each variable? Knowing yourself and what makes you happy (or avoids discomfort) is as important as the actual facts of price, distance, etc.

We have enjoyed multiple stays at Hotel Tritone in Mestre----we do not find the small commute to be an issue and we do find that keeping our costs down allows us to afford more travel----however if we had mobility issues we'd opt to stay closer

Paul

As a returner, I would stay in Mestre if I was going alone ... cheaper and not inconvenient for exploring Venice. For me, it's just a room, and you get a lot more for your money staying in Mestre.

HOWEVER, if I was going with someone who had never been before, I'd stay in Venice (if they could afford it) .... obviously more convenient for sightseeing, plus you're more likely to enjoy a quiet evening stroll if you're staying right in Venice. (And it's nice to have a room to easily return to if you need a rest or bathroom break.)

On my first trip we stayed in a small apt on the 2nd floor over popular shops, on a small square, next to a church and 5 minutes from St Marks ... we enjoyed looking out our windows at the crowds, enjoying being part of the hustle and bustle, and taking walks at night. For a first visit it was ideal. I mean we KNEW we were in the heart of Venice. It was fun and exciting ... it wasn't cheap but it was perfect for a first time visitor.

BTW, if you have more luggage than you can easily manage and are worried about bridges, etc, store a bag or 2 at the Left Luggage faciility at Piazzale Roma. This will enable you to stay in a more budget friendly area of Venice. Keep in mind that regardless of where you stay in Venice, it's very small so it's easy to reach the popular spots.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-hotels.htm

If you need an elevator, be sure to inquire specifically ... they're not common in Venice.

It would always be Venice for me. It is a different place in the evenings when the day trippers have gone, and it is only by staying there that you get that from your trip.

There are affordable hotels in Venice you just have to search harder. We stay there at least once or twice a year and have done expensive , medium and budget. If you need any suggestions just ask.

Since the OP is from NY....I will try to put the question into perspective. Say you were visiting NYC for the first time and decided to stay in a motel located near Newark to save money over NYCs hotels. This is similar with Mestre. It is a popular mainland area with lower priced tours because there are quite a few moderate priced motels/hotels. But, unless you have major budget constraints.....it is hard to beat the atmosphere of staying right in Venice. Contrary to some opinions, there are actually reasonably priced accomodations in Venice. A good web site for hotel shopping is Venere.com. You will also find quite a few other posts about various Venice hotels.

Hank

A few minutes on the bus which runs well past midnight allows us to be able to enjoy magical evenings in Venice at a price we can afford.

We stayed here last time. It is clean, comfortable and very close. Since we were on a land tour and had a car the free gated parking was another plus. http://www.allelagune.it/location.htm

We just returned from our cruise a few days ago and stayed a couple extra days in Venice. For us, staying in Venice was the best choice and I would do it again if I ever get another opportunity to visit. After reading lots of recommendations, we decided to stay at the Ca' Doge which is right at the P.Roma transportation center. It may not be the snazziest hotel around, but the location could not be beat (cost about $255 US in June). Right next to the People Mover for our trip to/from the ship and just an easy walk to get to the Vaperettos for transportation all over town. We congratulated ourselves on more than one occasion on our excellent choice! By the way, Venice is quite a special place; wish we had a full week to explore.

We were planning on staying in Venice 12/2012. We changed to Maestre a week before because of excessive flooding in Venice for prior 3 weeks. We stayed at Hotel Plaza which was great! The train station was just across the street & you could even buy your ticket at the hotel. The train ride to Venice is 10 min & so easy. The trains run late so you can easily stoll Venice in the evening. When you return by train, it is the first stop & you are just across the street from the hotel

Lodging in Maestre - money saving. Staying on Venice - priceless.

Dawn

All depends on your point of view. I saw absolutely nothing special about Venice other than knowing you were in Venice. I was actually kind of sad and depressed at the deterioration you see everywhere.

My husband and I first visited in 1989 and the deterioration was bad then. We actually stayed in Verona and took the train to Venice. We rode the vaporetto on the Grand Canal, walked San Marco Piazza and returned to the train station (3 hours in town, tops).

I returned in 2008 with a friend who hadn't been to Venice, so opted to stay at Ca' Doge in Piazzale Roma. She was aghast at the water level and most of the first floors being uninhabitable. We were there the end of October and the flooding was terrible, they already had the low table/walkways in place. Not the beautiful, romantic, city you see in the movies at all. As I said, really kind of depressing to me. JMHO

I know lots of other folks on this board love love love it, but they are looking through rose colored glasses.

All depends on your point of view. I saw absolutely nothing special about Venice other than knowing you were in Venice. I was actually kind of sad and depressed at the deterioration you see everywhere.

My husband and I first visited in 1989 and the deterioration was bad then. We actually stayed in Verona and took the train to Venice. We rode the vaporetto on the Grand Canal, walked San Marco Piazza and returned to the train station (3 hours in town, tops).

I returned in 2008 with a friend who hadn't been to Venice, so opted to stay at Ca' Doge in Piazzale Roma. She was aghast at the water level and most of the first floors being uninhabitable. We were there the end of October and the flooding was terrible, they already had the low table/walkways in place. Not the beautiful, romantic, city you see in the movies at all. As I said, really kind of depressing to me. JMHO

I know lots of other folks on this board love love love it, but they are looking through rose colored glasses.

Oh my! We seldom disagree with anything you post....but this time we must digress...big time! Venice is still a charming city that is so unique that it deserves more then a few hours (or even days). That being said. DW and I do not even like St Marks Square and think that focusing on that place does Venice a disservice. We have found many beautiful and romantic parts of Venice (you just need to wander the back streets away from St Marks Square) not to mention Burano...which is a favorite island of DW and myself. All that being said, there is nothing charming about being in Venice during heavy rains....and flooding.

Every time we are in Venice, be it for a cruise or just on one of our driving trips through Italy, we always explore new (to us) neighborhoods, bars, cafes, etc. Love it...and cannot wait to return.

Hank

I would stay in Venice. November we stayed at Hotel Arlecchino which is one small bridge from Piazzle Roma. We took the bus from the airport to P Roma and walked to our hotel. 2 days later we walked across P Roma to the people mover to get to our ship. I would stay there again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Venice is wonderful! I have spent 3 weeks there in just over 2 years and would love to go back for more during different seasons. I would never stay in the Mestre. That would be like going to New York City and staying in New Jersey. Venice is most magical early mornings and late evening when the day trippers are gone.

The heart of Venice is not the area around Piazzale Roma. It's San Marco, the tiny alleys of the Dorsoduro, tiny lanes and little piazzas you just stumble upon walking around, the views from one of hundreds of bridges.

Unless you are really frugal and/or have a ton of luggage do yourself a big favor and stay in Venice. Find a hotel that is easily accessible near a vaporetto stop. Enjoy!

Then I will never take off my rose colored glasses. We have been to Venice four times in the past five years - have stayed on Venice proper, Murano and Guidecca. Venice is my favorite city in the world. Only depressing when I have to leave.

Dawn

Oh my! We seldom disagree with anything you post....but this time we must digress...big time! Venice is still a charming city that is so unique that it deserves more then a few hours (or even days). That being said. DW and I do not even like St Marks Square and think that focusing on that place does Venice a disservice. We have found many beautiful and romantic parts of Venice (you just need to wander the back streets away from St Marks Square) not to mention Burano...which is a favorite island of DW and myself. All that being said, there is nothing charming about being in Venice during heavy rains....and flooding.

Every time we are in Venice, be it for a cruise or just on one of our driving trips through Italy, we always explore new (to us) neighborhoods, bars, cafes, etc. Love it...and cannot wait to return.

Hank

Well Hank, you must be a romantic. Guess I'm more of a realist. I told folks back in 1989 that the Italians needed to go see the architects/planners in the Netherlands to try and save their city. But alas, it took them another 25 years to do just that. I fear it may be too late! Now Holland and Amersterdam were a sight to behold!

My friend and I are both mobility impaired, so walking the back streets of Venice really wasn't a very good option. We did do 2 walking tours in the pouring rain. And the back canals had trash and garbage and quite an odor. We made it to Murano, but alas, the waves, wind & rain kept the vaporetto from going on to Burano. The driver said it was just too dangerous to try and go. That little motor craft was really struggling to get back to San Marco.

We have to agree to disagree on Venice Hank. I wouldn't take the time to even go back there. Now the Lake District over on the other side of Italy on the way to Switzerland is a wonder to behold!

Then I will never take off my rose colored glasses. We have been to Venice four times in the past five years - have stayed on Venice proper, Murano and Guidecca. Venice is my favorite city in the world. Only depressing when I have to leave.

Dawn

I agree with Dawn now. My first trip-not so much because we focused primarily on St. Marks area - perhaps a common problem for most cruise tourists. 2nd trip we took a hidden Venice walking tour and saw a completely different side. We are going back next week, staying "near" St. Marks pre-cruise for the sheer beauty and convenience. As we'll be slightly jet-lagged, we think we will enjoy being right there before we join the ship the following day. Wonderful city to wander IF you stay away from the swarming other tourists :)

The more I think of this topic the more it gets my "goat." When we were last in Venice (this past October) we had gorgeous weather and it was a glorious experience. So that evening, sitting with others in a bar on the ship, we hear a couple complaining how awful their day had been. They told everyone that they took the ship's shuttle boat over to St Marks Square (their first and second mistake) and spent the entire day in the St Marks area waiting in queues for the Doges Palace and Basilica, had an outrageously priced Bellini at Harry's Bar, took a 95 Euro gondola, and then had a very expensive drink at one the infamous cafes located in St Marks Square (nobody in their right mind would sit at any of those cafes). It was no wonder they had a bad day! None of the others at our table (in the bar) had gone anywhere near St Marks Square.....and we all had great days. Perhaps there is a message here.

The following morning (we were in Venice for 2 days) we took the Vaporetto over to the very interesting Peggy Guggenheim Museum (in all our trips to Venice we had never visited this excellent art museum) and then discovered the interesting neighborhood near that museum. Bottom line is that there is just so much to see in Venice (and the other islands in the Lagoon) once folks can get beyond the "St Marks Square syndrome."

Hank

The best time to be in San Marco is early morning before 9am and after 8pm. If you stay in Venice it is a good option if you stay in the Mestre it's probably not. The best thing to do in Venice is just wander.

Archived