Carnival instead of RCCL?

OK, My hubby swears he hates carnival bc of a cruise like 20 years ago but Ive booked a short one on Ectasy bc its so cheap. In the last 2 years we have done Oasis of the Seas, Freedom and Azamara Journey.

I have done Carnival a bunch with my kids...no hubby. Anything that anyone can tell me that will make my snobby hubby like a carnival ship?:p

I can't help you. We have only cruised with Carnival once and it was our least favorite cruise. It should have been a favorite because our daughter and her boy friend were with us and all of our other cruises we were alone. But I just missed some of the RC extra touches.

I think the main difference for me was that the entertainment on RC is a whole lot better. Although we did enjoy the comedy club, the nightly shows on Carnival are just not as good as RC.

If he goes in with the idea he will have a good time he will. And don't let him compare until after the cruise is over.

I actually LIKE Carnival. A lot. But i wouldn't cruise on the Ecstasy if they paid me. In 60 cruises (about 20 on Carnival) it was hands down the WORST cruise. This was post dry dock when it was sailing out of Galveston. And I was w/ a group of 15 other ladies and NONE of them would ever cruise on Ecstasy. (many of them will never cruise w/ Carnival again.) Crappy old ship even after sprucing up. Poor food (w/ some good things) TERRIBLE service in general (w/ very few shining stars.. as in NONE). I'd rather have been at home cleaning my house.

Remember if it's so cheap... not always, but in general you tend to get what you pay for.

I can't help you. We have only cruised with Carnival once and it was our least favorite cruise. It should have been a favorite because our daughter and her boy friend were with us and all of our other cruises we were alone. But I just missed some of the RC extra touches.

I think the main difference for me was that the entertainment on RC is a whole lot better. Although we did enjoy the comedy club, the nightly shows on Carnival are just not as good as RC.

If he goes in with the idea he will have a good time he will. And don't let him compare until after the cruise is over.

This post says it all for us.

Your experience was EXACTLY as ours. We went with no expectations, had a great time. After cruise comparison, our experience FOR US, RCCL.

Tim

I'm sure Carnival is fine. But....we had a really bad Carnival cruise in 1998 and WE'VE never sailed with them again. I don't actually blame your husband. I don't think I could convince mine to sail with them again. :)

I actually LIKE Carnival. A lot. But i wouldn't cruise on the Ecstasy if they paid me. In 60 cruises (about 20 on Carnival) it was hands down the WORST cruise. This was post dry dock when it was sailing out of Galveston. And I was w/ a group of 15 other ladies and NONE of them would ever cruise on Ecstasy. (many of them will never cruise w/ Carnival again.) Crappy old ship even after sprucing up. Poor food (w/ some good things) TERRIBLE service in general (w/ very few shining stars.. as in NONE). I'd rather have been at home cleaning my house.

Remember if it's so cheap... not always, but in general you tend to get what you pay for.

Yikes now Im worried....lots of drinks . Im sure we will have fun no matter what though. Or at least I will

This is the Royal Caribbean forum. Maybe you should try posting on the Carnival forum...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No kidding, but many people have been on many cruise lines and I wasnt trying to offend the carnival fans.

This is the Royal Caribbean forum. Maybe you should try posting on the Carnival forum...

It appears that most of them on the Carnival forum feel the same way as most of us. Maybe your husband is the right one here. ;)

Tim

I have cruised both lines and I can say that somethings are really nice on Carnival and some things are really nice on RCC and somethings are really nice on NCL. to us we are just very thankful that we are blessed enough that we can take vacations on a cruise ship! But to your question the bathrooms on Carnival (at least the Glory) are way bigger than on RCC ( Oasis), and I think they do a better job with pictures, the food is about the same but hands down RCC has way better shows than any cruise line that we have been on.

I was just on the Serenade of the Seas to the Mediterranean and while the cruise was fantastic and RCL did a great job, I still think Carnival does a better job overall.

RCL had absolutely no entertainment on this cruise and it felt very subdued and very boring EVERY night!!! We looked to have some outside movies on their version of a jumbo screen :eek: but they didn't, the shows were not very good and only one per night for the most part.

I think the food is comparable on both lines but food is not my thing so maybe I'm not the best to analyze.

I think Carnival gets a bad rap and overall they do a great job with food, fun and the staff is just as great on Carnival as RCL.

I know this is a RCL forum but I think we can all agree that cruising is fun no matter what and you have to make your own enjoyment.

IMO Carnival does a better job but that being said, RCL was still a great cruise line and I just feel blessed to be able to cruise as often as we do!!:D

Well I was like you hubby but only 5 yrs ago, I went back to carnival liberty last month and what a mistake. Now I'm convinced that I will not sail with carnival even if the price is attractive

I was just on the Serenade of the Seas to the Mediterranean and while the cruise was fantastic and RCL did a great job, I still think Carnival does a better job overall.

RCL had absolutely no entertainment on this cruise and it felt very subdued and very boring EVERY night!!! We looked to have some outside movies on their version of a jumbo screen :eek: but they didn't, the shows were not very good and only one per night for the most part.

I think the food is comparable on both lines but food is not my thing so maybe I'm not the best to analyze.

I think Carnival gets a bad rap and overall they do a great job with food, fun and the staff is just as great on Carnival as RCL.

I know this is a RCL forum but I think we can all agree that cruising is fun no matter what and you have to make your own enjoyment.

IMO Carnival does a better job but that being said, RCL was still a great cruise line and I just feel blessed to be able to cruise as often as we do!!:D

Thanks for the encouragement, Im glad you think food and staff are equal. I booked it a week ago and Im excited and ready to have fun. I guess I could have done better research on the ship.....

But at over 20 cruises , I think Ill survive the fun of a "crappy cruise"

I always say the worst day on a cruise is better than the best day at work. The worst that will happen is that your hubby will want to immediately book RCCL again to refresh himself after the cruise. I'm with the one and done crowd about Carnival.. I went on them in 92 or 93 and distinctly remember one of the activities being offered was a beer chug-a-lug contest. The sight of frat boys vomiting over the side of the ship still haunts me to this day....:eek::eek:

We cruise RCI almost exclusively, but have done a Carnival or Princess here and there. Did we like Carnival, yes. Not sorry at all that we cruised with them. Compared to RCI, better in some regards, worse in others. So why the loyalty to Royal? C&A benefits win over anything that Carnival offers hands down no question.

We have cruised both lines for various reasons and we are back to Royal Caribbean after realizing it is worth the few extra dollars for the better service and much nicer ships. If I were to go back on a Carnival ship it would have to be one of the newer ones. Their older ships are just dated and well,... seemed like a little dirty. Also, I don't know if anyone else ever noticed but I get motion sickness and they seem to rock much more than Royal's ships. Just sayin...:eek:

OK, My hubby swears he hates carnival bc of a cruise like 20 years ago but Ive booked a short one on Ectasy bc its so cheap. In the last 2 years we have done Oasis of the Seas, Freedom and Azamara Journey.

I have done Carnival a bunch with my kids...no hubby. Anything that anyone can tell me that will make my snobby hubby like a carnival ship?:p

OP - Did you really think you'd get much encouragement on the RC board? You're not exactly new around here. :rolleyes:

If you can't "make" your "snobby hubby like a Carnival ship", how are strangers on the internet going to help you? :rolleyes:

We've cruised both lines, and wouldn't hesitate to book either again. Each has their 'better' points.

I myself would never book a short cruise. I'm not packing/unpacking for less than 7 days. :)

Is a 'short cruise' really a good way to try and sway your DH?

Good luck!

I've been on a few Carnival cruises recently, and thought they had a pretty good product that was more similar to RC than different. Our last cruise though, we definitely noticed a difference, so we're back with Royal Caribbean.

Food is definitely not comaparable anymore between the 2. RCL is much better.

RCL subdued?

Not al all.

Compare apples to apples. Not Caribbean cruises with transatlantic.

I always say the worst day on a cruise is better than the best day at work.

You've probably heard this, but either your job is really crappy, or you haven't had a truly bad day on a cruise.

Archived