4 people, 2 oceanview cabins, 7 day cruise for $2,500, and hubby says NO!

I guess I'm going to be in the minority here. Family vacations are precious memories that your kids will have long after you are gone. You might consider having a family meeting and throwing out all the options and then choosing something you will all feel comfortable with. Cruising is my first vacation choice, but that doesn't mean it is the only choice. And coercing someone to go along with everyone else against their will sets up a sour note from the start.

My oldest children can't make any more memories with their dad and yet when they recall the times they spent with him, it is invariably a vacation memory. You have your kids with you for only 18 summers. Take each summer and make wonderful memories -- beach memories, camping memories, cruising memories ... or maybe just the local amusement park or state fair. The important part is that you are in a fun setting and enjoying the time spent together.

True enough! Good perspective!

Looking for a last minute August trip...and Grandeur is sailing out of Baltimore on the 17th with some fantastic last minute fares.

$2500 for two oceanview cabins for a family of four, or $2000 for an oceanview and an interior...less than $100/day per person! (And that's before C&A and travel agent discounts.)

So I pitch this idea to the husband...a quick 10 minute ride to the port from our house and off we go for the week!

And get this: he says we already took a cruise last fall, and he doesn't want to go again. He only likes to cruise once every couple of years, he'd like to do something DIFFERENT. I tried to explain...different ship, different class of ship, different ports...to no avail. :(

So, I hope there is SOMEONE out there who can maybe take advantage of this great pricing!

Time for a trade in :)

The conversation in our house goes something like,

"I found this crui . ."book it!"

In our hosehold, I decide when and where we will cruise, DH has no desire to plan it out, just let him know when we need to be at the airport. Once on board he is ready to socialize and has a great time. He has said 3 times now, the last cruise will be his last, yet Momma books and he follows.:D. He has said again following our Australia trip next year it will be his last, but I will be sure and report back once I book a cruise to let you know if he truely is staying home.:)

I like this :)

I guess I'm going to be in the minority here. Family vacations are precious memories that your kids will have long after you are gone. You might consider having a family meeting and throwing out all the options and then choosing something you will all feel comfortable with. Cruising is my first vacation choice, but that doesn't mean it is the only choice. And coercing someone to go along with everyone else against their will sets up a sour note from the start.

You are so right. I didn't mean for the original post to sound like DH is a tyrant! We already cruised once this year, and he wasn't up for another one, no matter the price. Since we live so close to Baltimore, I always keep an eye on last minute deals...had never seen rates so low for an OV!

Anyway, for exactly the reasons you state, I would never take the kids without him, or spend our August vacation away from him! We did just what you said...sat down and outlined our options and came up with Plan B.

What I really need to do is start warming him to the idea of an Oasis/Allure cruise...that may take a year or two to convince him!

I guess I'm going to be in the minority here. Family vacations are precious memories that your kids will have long after you are gone. You might consider having a family meeting and throwing out all the options and then choosing something you will all feel comfortable with. .......... The important part is that you are in a fun setting and enjoying the time spent together.

Maybe just in the vocal minority. I couldn't have said it as well. Family/marriage is all about compromise IMHO.

Maybe after hearing everyone else's views you will end up cruising, maybe not. But I think it's very important for the family to spend the week together recharging without the stresses of school and work.

Before you know it the kids will be grown and doing their own thing. Enjoy the family vacations now.

My oldest children can't make any more memories with their dad and yet when they recall the times they spent with him, it is invariably a vacation memory. You have your kids with you for only 18 summers. Take each summer and make wonderful memories -- beach memories, camping memories, cruising memories ... or maybe just the local amusement park or state fair. The important part is that you are in a fun setting and enjoying the time spent together.

They are called precious memories for a reason. Your post describes ours as well.:):cool:

How old are the children? Depending upon ages and dynamics, maybe you would consider sailing with one or both of them. For example, maybe the older one would like to cruise with mom (great bonding/memory building time for the right parent/child pair at the right time), while dad gets special time with the other one (again potentially terrific if the timing and combo are right). Another time, the kids can have special time with the other parent. Unless of course dad realizes that the cruise is an easy way to have a great time with the child and they join you;)

In our hosehold, I decide when and where we will cruise, DH has no desire to plan it out, just let him know when we need to be at the airport. Once on board he is ready to socialize and has a great time. He has said 3 times now, the last cruise will be his last, yet Momma books and he follows.:D. He has said again following our Australia trip next year it will be his last, but I will be sure and report back once I book a cruise to let you know if he truely is staying home.:)

This sounds like my house! I make all our vacations plans ... I book them, plan them out and make the payments. The husband likes it that way..he tells everyone that I just tell him when to pack his bags!

What I really need to do is start warming him to the idea of an Oasis/Allure cruise...that may take a year or two to convince him!

Now if he says no to Oasis/Allure, there is seriously something wrong with him! =D Just look at Gambee's or my photos! Gambee has a phenomenal review and I am just finishing mine (not as good but at least its another to help you convince him!). Hopefully he will see how amazing it looks and will want to go on it!

I agree, the price is right but you have to spend your vacation with your family!

You are so right. I didn't mean for the original post to sound like DH is a tyrant! We already cruised once this year, and he wasn't up for another one, no matter the price. Since we live so close to Baltimore, I always keep an eye on last minute deals...had never seen rates so low for an OV!

Anyway, for exactly the reasons you state, I would never take the kids without him, or spend our August vacation away from him! We did just what you said...sat down and outlined our options and came up with Plan B.

Glad you were able to compromise on a Plan B!! There will always be a cruise bargain out there at another time...Enjoy your family time!:)

This sounds like my house! I make all our vacations plans ... I book them, plan them out and make the payments. The husband likes it that way..he tells everyone that I just tell him when to pack his bags!

That was my husband too!! It took me YEARS after we moved to Fl. to get him on a cruise...he was sure he'd be bored! Finally got him on a weekend cruise to the Bahama's...he was hooked!!:D

Amen. I lost my husband (cruising partner, love of my life two months ago)- make the memories!

Sleeper2 sorry to about the loss of your husband. You must make the memories when you can as you never know what the future holds. My husband loves to cruise also and when I start planning all he says is " do I need to get the suitcases out or would you just book it and let me know when we leave so I can be ready."

OMG......I think I am married to your husband's twin........;)

Archived