Elite Coupons:$129.95

Orator

Celebrity has a legal department that could put an end to the sale of coupons. I've called attention to the practice, the ball is now in their court.
The only way Celebrity can put an end to it is to do like Royal and convert to paperless coupons.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not the only way.

They could change to personalized coupons, requiring the user to show their sea pass card with a matching name

They could put a date on the coupon so it expired shortly after the cruise ends

Paperless would be ok but it isn't the only way

I've bought the coupons on such sites, but always much less than that. If I could get them for cost of the match play value, I'm money ahead.

So you purchase Elite coupons on Ebay (or Craigslist) and have used them?

The only way Celebrity can put an end to it is to do like Royal and convert to paperless coupons.

You are correct. I've mentioned this to some people on the ships who tell me that they are not prepared to do it at this time. When I told them about their sister company they just keep talking cost. Really doesn't make sense to me.

So you purchase Elite coupons on Ebay (or Craigslist) and have used them?

Yep. With nary a hitch. I've used match play, bogo drink, bogo coffee, and wireless. The way I look at it, Celebrity already wrote off those costs. Whether the elite cruiser they gave those coupons to or some suchlub such as myself that uses them, they've already accounted for the cost. I had way more fun on RCL when we bought like five match plays, and used them in one session at the table.

Yep. With nary a hitch. I've used match play, bogo drink, bogo coffee, and wireless. The way I look at it, Celebrity already wrote off those costs. Whether the elite cruiser they gave those coupons to or some suchlub such as myself that uses them, they've already accounted for the cost. I had way more fun on RCL when we bought like five match plays, and used them in one session at the table.

They just lowered the price to $49.95. What a bargain! How can you resist?

Just...WOW! I never cease to be amazed at the things people try to make a buck on.

The other day I saw somebody selling a set of 4 Texans training camp tickets. The tickets are free to season ticket holders, but this person wanted $130.00 for the set!:eek:

How much are 4 season tickets? I'll bet they're a LOT more than $130. Can people who are not season ticket holders get these training camp tickets for free? If there is no restriction on selling them and the person has no use for them, why not sell them?

Same for these coupons in question.

You mean to tell me I could have sold all the Elite Coupons we got for booking a Royal Suite? Durn! We only used the laundry coupons - every other coupon was still there and we just tossed them in the trash! Wonder if I could have gotten enough to pay for the cruise???;):D

Coupons should be saved. They are not dated or specified to a ship. They can be used orb other sailings!
So then you'll have 2 more of the coupons that you're never going to use. I think the idea here is that many of the coupons are useless to many people. Why hold onto them if you have no interest in using them?

But will they be accepted? Most certainly the internet coupon will not be. And trying to use it may alert the staff to the fact that the coupons are being used improperly by that passenger. The laundry and dry cleaning coupons might slide through, but again, it's entirely possible that there is a list of those who are eligible for the free laundry, and someone not on that list will find themselves with an unexpected expense when a bill accompanies their returned laundry items.

• 4 weeks later...
But will they be accepted? Most certainly the internet coupon will not be.
I gave my Select 25% off Internet coupon to a fellow (non-Select) CC member on my cruise last week and he had no problems having it accepted.

So everyone who claims that they can't be used by someone else, stop making claims that you cannot prove.

So everyone who claims that they can be used by someone else, stop making claims that you cannot prove.

A little different emphasis... but someone else's experience may differ...

To some it's all about beating the system. They naturally believe that the coupons cost Celebrity very little to nothing, so why not? Of corse, it's up to them to catch us, their fault if they don't. To hell with ethics.

Archived