anyone else switching cruise lines???

George C

We cruise on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Cunard and NCL in that order of preference but before we book we shop them all for the best cruise among them.

We do the same with airlines, we are not loyal to any these days because service is a crap shoot on them - so shop for the most direct flight and best fare we can fine. We will pay the fare for a direct flight any day.

Same with hotels...

Loyality... doesn't seem to pay these days.

We cruise on a number of lines-entirely ship/itinerary/value dependent. We tend to favor specific ships, not specific cruise lines.

We are finding HAL less and less attractive from a number of perspectives. HAL has lost their edge on everything except itineraries.

For us they have become nothing special, just one of many. As many positives attributes for us as negative attributes. Some good ships, and some not so good ships.

Well, we have a cruise booked on Oceania next year, but it isn't because of anything that HAL has or hasn't done. We were just impressed by the raves Oceania gets and wanted to try it. Also, we have a river cruise booked for later this year, and river cruises are our preference, anyway.

We'll see. I have 4 HAL cruises booked. Two past final payment, two not. I'll look at other cruise lines now - if the post January 31, 2014 wine policy stays the same. And the wine list doesn't improve.

Will probably do more DIY land based travel in Europe. Was thinking of a cruise next May, but might do a repeat of the 8 day raft trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon that I did last year.

Re the idea of land tours in Europe, maybe you should check out the river cruises that are available there. We did a cruise last year, Amsterdam to Budapest, which was terrific. Lots of the shore excursions, with a local guide, are included, and the local wines of the areas that the tour is passing through are poured lavishly throughout dinner. You could also bring your own purchased wine on board to enjoy in your room.:p

We'd pretty much already moved away from HAL so the change in the carry-on wine policy had little impact. I will say that it does add another brick in the wall so to speak that makes us even more convinced we've made the right decision to seek a new cruise home. Should say for us it's not so much the new policy as it is the way it's been handled. Barring an itinerary that just is a "have to do" on most probably the Prinsendam I don't know if or when we'll be on HAL again. Never say never but not likely.

HAL continues to be our favorite cruise line. The whole wine thing is a non-issue with us. We also have no concerns with how it was done. (Remember that the wine policy came out at the beginnng of a weekend and was clarified the first business day after it came out.) We like the ships, the cabins, the crew, the fellow passengers, the itineraries, the onboard atmosphere, and the food. We have a cruise in September, another booked for next spring, and are already thinking of HAL cruises beyond that.

Looking at Seabourn & Silversea - but with the recent stuff on Silversea, most likely Seabourn:)

Have been on Celebrity, Princess, NCL and other cruise lines no longer in existence. We like the smaller ships of HAL so perhaps it's time to try something totally new;)

Wine selections (readily available to see) and beverage selections look quite decent.

all the goodies that we like about HAL - room service, etc. and more:)

We are fans of the AI resorts also doing Sandals Thanksgiving week

Most likely doing NCL getaway in an s9 Haven aft suite, (the video of this suite is completely amazing and a great price) getting off in Nassau day 6, followed by 3 days at Atlantis (always wanted to) and Sandals for 5 nights.

How many restaurants do these bring aboard wine people go to that allow you to bring a bottle of wine from home??:D

There are a few BYOB resturants in my area, my favorite Itilian was byob for 20 years then got a permit for Liquor, there is another one that allows us to byob for a 10 dollar corkage.

Not due to the wine policy, but giving Oceania a try in March and Princess to Hawaii this October. That's an itinerary decision, but the move to Oceania was motivated by O's rave reviews in the face of the fact that even over the relatively short period of our 4 HAL cruises, each succeeding cruise was somehow less enjoyable than the one before, for many of the reasons so well documented around here. I used to argue that HAL was a cut above the "mass market" lines, but that's getting to be a hard case to make these days. It'll take more than the promenade deck to draw us back.

I have 4 cruises booked and will be looking at other cruise lines from now on, not because of the wine as I don't drink ( take to many meds ) but HA has been going down hill ever since it was sold to CC. I am a 3time world cruiser and a 5 star mariner, sorry to leave but I think it is now time to look elseware

4 World Cruises, wow!

Certainly NOT because of the wine policy changes. I love a good glass of wine, but in NO WAY a deal breaker for us. I do agree that it seems that HAL handled the change very poorly, but the change itself is a non-issue for us. Yes we frequently would purchase a bottle(s) in countries known for wine (e.g. South Africa and Australia) but our cruise experience would have been just as good without said wine. It was just fun and interesting.

While we have overall been pleased with HAL due to itineraries and costs, we have cruised on a number of other lines and also had a good time. I would like to try Oceania, but to date and with careful calculations, I have simply NOT been able to price even in the "ballpark" of HAL for very similar cruises, even with the supposed 2 for the price of one and airfare included. Even with tips thrown in, as a few of Oceania's offers have included, the per day cost has been higher for a similar cabin, cruise length and itinerary. (We use mainly ocean views but always consider and sometimes take a veranda cabin.) I will keep looking as we do like to try various lines.

If you purchased that when HAL had a "Use it within 4 years, or lose it" policy, you may not know that FCDs are refundable now.

When that policy first changed it was not applicable to the FCDs previously purchased, but that was quickly changed. All Future Cruise Deposits, regardless of when purchased, will be refunded if not used within four years.

When was that changed?

I had emailed about a month ago and given a deadline date on when our last FCC had to be used.

Just FYI: ALL of the top restaurants in our area allow you to bring your own bottle of wine/champagne, albeit for a high corkage fee (usually $20-25/bottle). Even in the Orlando area, the resort hotel specialty restaurants are doing the same as they recognize that their wine enthusiasts prefer their own special bottles.

Our particular local favorite high-end restaurant operates its own wine shop...but they have a very reasonable policy of allowing BYOB of any wine/champagne not on their list or in their store. We enjoy the challenge of seeking out a special vintage that the owner may not be familiar with and sharing our finds with him. Many times this costs us MORE than ordering from the list but its a win-win for all,,,the restaurant profits from the corkage fee and we enjoy a wine we really like.

Which is why HAL's abrupt cut-off of bringing a local wine onboard in ports of call takes something away from us...dpn't assume that everyone complaining is looking to save money as we happily pay corkage and drink our wine in the MDR.

HAL continues to be our favorite cruise line. The whole wine thing is a non-issue with us. We also have no concerns with how it was done. (Remember that the wine policy came out at the beginnng of a weekend and was clarified the first business day after it came out.) We like the ships, the cabins, the crew, the fellow passengers, the itineraries, the onboard atmosphere, and the food. We have a cruise in September, another booked for next spring, and are already thinking of HAL cruises beyond that.

And the beginning of the weekend is fair for those who are already enroute or who have paid? Happy that you think it is fair. BTW, it was already being implemented prior to the date "it came out", and it was also not clarified. So it didn't affect you. It did affect others, and the implementation was not fair.

No switching here either, the wine policy is NO reason for us to switch. We're no wine drinkers anyway.

We like HAL for their itineraries and friendly staff and the little Dutch touches during the cruise.

Kind regards,

Gina

Perhaps you should consider that this goes beyond just "wine drinkers." What is next?

When was that changed?

I had emailed about a month ago and given a deadline date on when our last FCC had to be used.

It was a while ago - sometime last year I think, when we bought ours on the Prinsendam it was refundable (that's one good thing I guess).

I think what is botheing me so much about many of these posts is the attitude: "It doesn't affect me, so what?" For those of you have been worrying about whether $2.00 sodas are the next target, you all should be concerning about what is next going to be axed. Beyond that, a basic sense of fair business should cause your hackels to go up. Instead, all of you, who may be non-drinkers, are only thinking of yourselves and the fact that you have not been impacted. That is short-sightedness and helps no one, not even yourselves. Because you you may be next.

When was that changed?

It dépends when you purchased it. If purchased before they became refundable, then the FCC falls under the old rules (ie. if unused after 4 years, you lose it). But I am sure that it can be negotiated and changed in view of the new rules, just ask.

Not sure I understand this part ... please clarify??

Re: room service menu for the "cheap seats". We usually travel in the cheap seats :) Some people have suggested that we try Princess. The breakfast room service menu for the cheap seats on Princess is less appealing to us than the breakfast room service menu in the expensive seats ;)

The room service menu is one of the little things that keeps us coming back to HAL. Like the old wine policy, and the promenade decks.... the little things that we enjoy. Used to really enjoy the bathroom amenities, they are more or less downgraded now, the wine policy is changing and may not be what we'd like to see when they actually roll it out.... so two of the little things we really enjoyed are gone. Take away the excellent room service menu, and there's not a whole lot to keep us from comparison shopping, y'know?

Archived