anyone else switching cruise lines???

George C

I think what is botheing me so much about many of these posts is the attitude: "It doesn't affect me, so what?" For those of you have been worrying about whether $2.00 sodas are the next target, you all should be concerning about what is next going to be axed. Beyond that, a basic sense of fair business should cause your hackels to go up. Instead, all of you, who may be non-drinkers, are only thinking of yourselves and the fact that you have not been impacted. That is short-sightedness and helps no one, not even yourselves. Because you you may be next.

Precisely,Tampa Girl.

I think what is botheing me so much about many of these posts is the attitude: "It doesn't affect me, so what?" For those of you have been worrying about whether $2.00 sodas are the next target, you all should be concerning about what is next going to be axed. Beyond that, a basic sense of fair business should cause your hackels to go up. Instead, all of you, who may be non-drinkers, are only thinking of yourselves and the fact that you have not been impacted. That is short-sightedness and helps no one, not even yourselves. Because you you may be next.

When profits of a cruiseline are impacted because of loads of 'independent' wine bottles coming aboard, everybody is impacted. Lower profits means higher fares. But I agree with you this also applies to soda and water.

My idea of cruising does not include lugging cans of soda and bottles of water because they are on sale at Costco. But everybody can do as they please. It does not bother me personally...only the price of each cruise is higher for everybody.

... While we have overall been pleased with HAL due to itineraries and costs, we have cruised on a number of other lines and also had a good time. I would like to try Oceania, but to date and with careful calculations, I have simply NOT been able to price even in the "ballpark" of HAL for very similar cruises, even with the supposed 2 for the price of one and airfare included. Even with tips thrown in, as a few of Oceania's offers have included, the per day cost has been higher for a similar cabin, cruise length and itinerary. (We use mainly ocean views but always consider and sometimes take a veranda cabin.) I will keep looking as we do like to try various lines.

DH just received a mailer from his alumni association for a group cruise on Oceania, with free airfare included. We could book 2 cruises on HAL with similar stateroom/itinerary for the price of 1 cruise on Oceania. There is no comparison price-wise.

Yup....I like your thinking. I have never seen so many self rightious and self centered people here at one time on CC. If it doesn't affect them, everyone else is crazy or wrong. Actually, lack of empathy is part of a personality disorder....just sayin!

Then, you have those who are upset because of all the negativity here lately. They don't have to read what doesn't interest them. Some are upset because this has taken away some of the attention they seek and enjoy here on a daily basis. They know who they are.

My idea of cruising does not include lugging cans of soda and bottles of water because they are on sale at Costco. But everybody can do as they please. It does not bother me personally...only the price of each cruise is higher for everybody.

Apparently it does bother you personally.

I drink very little soda at home, so I don't miss drinking it on a cruise. I drink the ships water because I find it perfectly acceptable. Maybe I could make up for it on our next cruise by buying an expensive diamond bracelet that I don't need, just to keep cruise fares down for everybody.

Oh, and next time I go buy a new car, I will negotiate the price, then just throw in another $5,000.00, because the car dealer and the car manufacturer are in business to make money. ;)

Yup....I like your thinking. I have never seen so many self rightious and self centered people here at one time on CC. If it doesn't affect them, everyone else is crazy or wrong. Actually, lack of empathy is part of a personality disorder....just sayin!

Then, you have those who are upset because of all the negativity here lately. They don't have to read what doesn't interest them. Some are upset because this has taken away some of the attention they seek and enjoy here on a daily basis. They know who they are.

People demanding HAL stock any and every little dwink they might yearn for on a cruise is also self centered and self rightious (may I add ridiculous)

sail7seas: just a simple question. do you work for Hal? if not, you certainly ought to. just a simple question; no need to get fluffed up.

I like to second this. The type of responses we get makes us think that way. And if so, that's great. I'm glad we have a HAL liaison here so we can get some questions answered.

People demanding HAL stock any and every little dwink they might yearn for on a cruise is also self centered and self rightious (may I add ridiculous)

I do believe you are misunderstanding my postion (and perhaps others). All I want is a decent bottle of wine at a decent price. They can whittle their current wine list down and add some decent wines at reasonable prices.

Last cruise (May) I bought an Alice White Shiraz in the MDR. Drinkable. Cost me around $36 with the 15% service fee. Total Wines price is $5.47. That's more than a 500% mark-up. INHO a reasonable price would be $22.00.

How many restaurants do these bring aboard wine people go to that allow you to bring a bottle of wine from home??:D

There are over 1000 wineries within a 2 hour drive of my home. Most of the restaurants near the wineries will let you bring wine in from home. If you bought the wine from the same appellation where the restaurant is located, the corkage is often waived. Californians know their wine. Our local wine store stocks over 1700 different Chardonnay wines.

Started looking at other lines after wine policy change. Got great desl on RCCL Navigator of the seas, mini-suite ( same size as SS on Hal) for under 1300 for the week, since there is a over 55 discount and I also get a diamond level discount. Wine policy was main reason last 4 cruises were Hal, also save a bundle on air fare since cruise leves from Gavelston.

I wouldn't change to another cruise line just because of a change in the wine policy.

Years ago we used to be able to buy Duty Free alcohol to take back to our cabins to drink during the cruise. HAL stopped that as well as allowing people to take their own alcohol onto the ship.

We never took our own alcohol onto the ships -- but we did buy the Duty Free alcohol for our cabin.

When the new rules went in -- we adjusted -- just bought from the alcohol list. Sure it was higher. But definitely not a reason to change cruise lines.

Because HAL delayed the start of their new policy, they will not lose us. I understand wanting to have the same policies as the other lines. I don't like it, but I accept it. Out of 25 cruises, we've only done 2 where we have brought wine on. On 2 other HAL cruises, we didn't bring it on when it was allowed, because we didn't care to lug it on. I don't know what the policy was in 2000, but I can recall our tablemates at the pool, with a bottle of Mogen David!! At any rate, most of my outrage was directed at the immediate implementation, after people had paid final payment. Now I've forgiven HAL.

I knew this policy was coming. What I don't like is not having a corkage fee. I hope that can be changed to go along with Princess' policy. I don't understand why not. I think that would be a good question for us to ask Guest Relations when the time comes.

We only sail Prinsendam. We'll see how our Sept. and 2014 go. So far, we have been happy. And, I hope HAL will improve it's wine packages. Maybe those people on Facebook will get lucky in communicating that with HAL. I'm staying away after my sail date was put on it!!

Started looking at other lines after wine policy change. Got great desl on RCCL Navigator of the seas, mini-suite ( same size as SS on Hal) for under 1300 for the week, since there is a over 55 discount and I also get a diamond level discount. Wine policy was main reason last 4 cruises were Hal, also save a bundle on air fare since cruise leves from Gavelston.

No--we drink what HAL provides. Wine policy is not an issue with us.

Because HAL delayed the start of their new policy, they will not lose us. I understand wanting to have the same policies as the other lines. I don't like it, but I accept it. Out of 25 cruises, we've only done 2 where we have brought wine on. On 2 other HAL cruises, we didn't bring it on when it was allowed, because we didn't care to lug it on. I don't know what the policy was in 2000, but I can recall our tablemates at the pool, with a bottle of Mogen David!! At any rate, most of my outrage was directed at the immediate implementation, after people had paid final payment. Now I've forgiven HAL.

I knew this policy was coming. What I don't like is not having a corkage fee. I hope that can be changed to go along with Princess' policy. I don't understand why not. I think that would be a good question for us to ask Guest Relations when the time comes.

We only sail Prinsendam. We'll see how our Sept. and 2014 go. So far, we have been happy. And, I hope HAL will improve it's wine packages. Maybe those people on Facebook will get lucky in communicating that with HAL. I'm staying away after my sail date was put on it!!

I think we all need to move on and address this issue of aligning their policy with their sister line, Princess. We have a reprieve. Let's make the most of it and blanket them with emails!

I had one today from Stein Kruse's office....yada...yada...yada...noting my displeasure with the new policy but since I'm on the NA in October, I will be safe...yada...yada...yada. I can't wait to see what kind of guarantee I get after complaining!

I think for now we'll stay put. I didn't particularly like the "feel" of the Princess ships and we're almost 4 star Mariners. So have those perks to look forward to...unless that's the next thing to be slashed.

I'm comfortable on HAL...and therein lies the problem. :rolleyes:

I think for now we'll stay put. I didn't particularly like the "feel" of the Princess ships and we're almost 4 star Mariners. So have those perks to look forward to...unless that's the next thing to be slashed.

I'm comfortable on HAL...and therein lies the problem. :rolleyes:

Not to mention the dreaded "posting with strangers". :eek:

When was that changed?

I don't know that "when" matters so much as the fact that the expiration date policy did change.

But for the record, I purchased a Future Cruise Deposit last September, and it was refundable if not used within 4 years. The policy had changed within a few weeks (maybe a month?) prior.

At first, the new policy did not apply to FCDs purchased prior to the policy change. Within a couple of months, though, they also became refundable. It was not only an administrative nightmare to run two separate policies, it was not good PR, and probably would have been a lost cause if a lawsuit was filed.

Just as in American politics - it all depends on whose ox is being gored.

This will be our first cruise on HAL, 14 day cruisetour in Alaska. We liked the itinerary, little different that what we went on last year. Our first cruise was with RCCL and we were happy and a couple of "stand out" things happened along the way and we just stayed with them and will probably continue to do so. But we are ready to try some different lines. I am looking forward to this cruise!:)

I don't know why I insist on doing this but I'm going to do it anyhow. I have to say that the wine policy change in and of itself IS NOT enough to make us not cruise with HAL anymore. I understand indeed that may be a big issue for some and I have absolutely zero, none, and not the least bit of trouble with that. We'd already pretty much bailed but again it wasn't any single one thing but the accumulative effect of a number of changes and perceived degradations over nearly twenty years with HAL that have caused us to look elsewhere. We all, or most of us, reach our tipping point where we're no longer willing to frequent or give us business to a service provider or a manufacturer or brand or whatever. HAL may or may not have hit that point for some with their latest change. For some HAL may never hit that point and for others, like us, they're beyond that point and the latest change only reinforces that decision. It happens. Things change. Sometimes you like or can live with the changes, sometimes you can't. It's all about what is right, desirable, and acceptable to us. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't know why I insist on doing this but I'm going to do it anyhow. I have to say that the wine policy change in and of itself IS NOT enough to make us not cruise with HAL anymore. I understand indeed that may be a big issue for some and I have absolutely zero, none, and not the least bit of trouble with that. We'd already pretty much bailed but again it wasn't any single one thing but the accumulative effect of a number of changes and perceived degradations over nearly twenty years with HAL that have caused us to look elsewhere. We all, or most of us, reach our tipping point where we're no longer willing to frequent or give us business to a service provider or a manufacturer or brand or whatever. HAL may or may not have hit that point for some with their latest change. For some HAL may never hit that point and for others, like us, they're beyond that point and the latest change only reinforces that decision. It happens. Things change. Sometimes you like or can live with the changes, sometimes you can't. It's all about what is right, desirable, and acceptable to us. Nothing more, nothing less.

very well said:D Lovely post:)

How many restaurants do these bring aboard wine people go to that allow you to bring a bottle of wine from home??:D

I can't think of a decent one that doesn't, of course there's a reasonable corkage fee, but I don't think anyone objects to that. $15 to $20 seems average. One of our favorite restaurants also owns a little wine shop. Any wine that you buy there (very reasonable prices & wonderful selection) you can enjoy in their restaurant with no corkage fee.

I take it you don't live in California, a restaurant here wouldn't stay in business if you couldn't bring your own wine.

We have recently decided to try HAL for a long cruise and would have cancelled that had they not amended their new policy.

If they come up with something reasonable, we will book HAL again. If not, then we will only look at other lines.

The current proposal is totally unreasonable.

We already have a cruise booked on Oceania. We will look to HAL only for cruises 7 days or less but they will not have an exclusive lock on our business. I'm to the point in my life where I prefer a quality cruise experience and cruise less than do mass market every year. HAL is officially mass market in my mind when the totality of cutbacks and restrictions are considered ( for us ).

Archived