anyone else switching cruise lines???

George C

The wine issue and HAL's dithering is not really a big issue for us.

There are other issues that really impact our decision like physical condition of ship, entertainment, pricing, and food. Some subjective, some not.

There are so many great choices out there, we could never see ourselves being 'loyal' to one cruise line....just as we are not loyal to one airline or one department store.

For us is very much dependent on current offerings, current performance-not past performance or reputation. You can only trade on your reputation for so long.

I like to second this. The type of responses we get makes us think that way. And if so, that's great. I'm glad we have a HAL liaison here so we can get some questions answered.

Just so you don't stay up tonight worrying about it, I'll make it perfectly clear I don't work for HAL or for anyone. I am most happily retired, never worked for HAL and never will.

Hope that is perfectly clear. :)

Sail, I think I am getting a little jealous what with you getting all his attention. I feel left out. :p

:D Some of us just have all the luck. ;)

Perhaps because she has more cruises onHAL than you? Why do you feel justification in attempting a pro-Hal (and, BTW, S7S has been highly critical of HAL on occasion, while you continue posting and are highly and negatively critical of HAL? You have your opinion, and she has hers, with the experience to back it up.

Thanks, Tampa Girl.

Here we go again.

Every now and then, someone thinks they've come up with a new concept and accuse me of being on the payroll. :rolleyes: Isn't the first time and likely not the last. Oh well,,,,,,,

Kind of you to point out what apparently has been missed by others. Thank you.

At least 80% of our cruising has been on HAL, but we decided after the last two that we are done with HAL, at least for the time being. It has nothing to do with wine, and everything to do with their business strategy. When we first started cruising (on the Westerdam II just before it was sold to Seabourne), we chose HAL because it was recommended as a premium line. They did not disappoint and delivered good value for money. The Indonesian and Philipino crew people were wonderful, and still are.

However, over the past few years HAL has clearly decided to forsake their premium product in favour of the mass market, high volume low margin model. We have found the service to be in a state of free fall because of crew cutbacks, and they have been cramming more cabins and pax onto the ships. It just isn't the same product we were buying a few years ago.

We booked two cruises just this week. One on Oceania because we want to get back to the premium product, and one on Disney (Mrs. Sopwith's idea :eek:), which we have been assured is at least a step up from HAL, as long as I manage to stomach the kids and mice. We've even been assured that that's not too much of an issue.

We'll see how it goes, but I don't see us going back to HAL in the foreseeable future.

Wasn't it sold to CCL over 30 years ago? I think it would have gone out of business totally had it not come under their umbrella.

Not quite 30 years but it's 24 years when Carnival Cruise Lines acquired HAL in 1989..They also own Windstar, P.& O, Aida, Costa & Princess, as well as Seabourn & Cunard which are premium/luxury cruise lines..

I agree with you I too believe that HAL would not be in business today if Carnival hadn't acquired them..

Anyone who doesn't know their History can get it at the following WEB site..

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=200767&p=irol-history

It always stumps me when people mention that HAL has deteriorated since Carnival acquired them..:confused: HAL is an autonomous business which decides their own policies..Carnival has nothing to do with the daily operation..However, if HAL does not make a profit I'm sure Carnival Corp & PLC will divest itself of HAL..

Now back to the question: We have another HAL cruise booked in Nov...We've cruised on other lines

such as Oceania & NCL, so we won't rule out another cruise on another cruise line..

Cheers...Betty

We fled one of the premium deluxe line (whatever it is called, but it is a well known brand for top of the line cruising) because it was both too much, and not enough of what we wanted for cruising and have been very happy with getting most of what we want with HAL, esp the smaller ships. The larger HAL ships are more ordinary, but still feel like home now. The hAL brand works for us.

jwm51,

I have already answered the OP's question so do not go that route. However, I would add in response to your last two comments - I learned long time ago the problems with trying to talk someone who is really negative/upset/mad into staying in a job. Sometimes it works but frequently they soon end up leaving as they are already in a negative frame of mind. (Of course in employment, sometimes more money will help - but even that frequently fails in the long term. And Yes, I know there are exceptions.)

In addition, it is really not enjoyable for me, at least, to meet folks on a cruise (at church, at work, etc.) who are mad, bitter, unhappy, complaining, etc. on a regular basis. Folks need to find a cruise line,church/job or whatever they are happy with, not one they are angry with. To stick with something that no longer meets your needs is a waste of time, money and certainly does not only apply to HAL.

On one cruise we had a couple at our table who were unhappy about almost everything on the cruise. They would have the same dinner choice some of the rest of us would and they would totally "trash" the food item(s) that the rest of us enjoyed. On one Shore Ex. they had nothing but bitter complaints at dinner about their experience. I was on the same bus and realized why they were unhappy with the experience. The reasons were actually their fault under the circumstances and they got no sympathy from their tour mates, so were looking for it from table mates, forgetting that I was on the same bus and had known what happened.

Just so you don't stay up tonight worrying about it, I'll make it perfectly clear I don't work for HAL or for anyone. I am most happily retired, never worked for HAL and never will.

Hope that is perfectly clear. :)

:D Some of us just have all the luck. ;)

Thank you señora 7seas. Now I can go to sleep. Gracias.

We cruise HA when we like an itinerary or if they are giving the cruise away :). But when we want high quality we look to other lines such as Azamara and Celebrity. And if we want luxury then its off to Crystal or Seven Seas.

Hank

If you purchased that when HAL had a "Use it within 4 years, or lose it" policy, you may not know that FCDs are refundable now.

When that policy first changed it was not applicable to the FCDs previously purchased, but that was quickly changed. All Future Cruise Deposits, regardless of when purchased, will be refunded if not used within four years.

Thanks Ruth, that is great to know. Do you remember when it was changed? When I checked about a year ago they still had a "use by" date.

staying with HAL.. they're not perfect but so far it's been a 'good ride' since 1997

a small thing like a 'new wine policy' won't make us consider changing.. wine is not at the top of the list for us

now if they can just get their act together with roundtrip Panama Canal itineraries leaving out of Ft Lauderdale in 2014 and 2015 then I'd be a lot happier..(maybe with a Hawaii-Tahiti cruise thrown in like we did this past January)

Thanks Ruth' date=' that is great to know. Do you remember when it was changed? When I checked about a year ago they still had a "use by" date.[/quote']

It was either late August or early September a year ago. I purchased a refundable FCD on my September cruise, and it was not news to me that the policy had changed, but I had not known long.

At first, it was only the new deposits that were refundable, and those issued prior to the policy change still expired. A few weeks (months?) later, those became refundable, too.

Going to all inclusive Azamara for Asia cruise, think its better value in the end and they have a good quality wine list, smaller ship, longer in ports and have come highly recommended by friends.

I hope you realize that Azamara is not "all-inclusive". They are "more inclusive".

I do. Almost every cruise. After the Veendam this month it's off to Crystal for 2 cruises then back to HAl, 2 more on Crystal and HAL again. 2014 plans are still a bit fluid but it looks likely to be Cunard, Windstar, RCI/Carnival or Celebrity/NCL.

Much as I love Crystal there's a lot to be said for open mind and variety.

Roy

We cruise HA when we like an itinerary or if they are giving the cruise away :). But when we want high quality we look to other lines such as Azamara and Celebrity. And if we want luxury then its off to Crystal or Seven Seas.

Hank

Luxury on Crystal for us means smaller cabins, awkward room arrangements, fewer public rooms, crummy library, poor enrichment speakers on shallow topics, uneven dining offerings, boring itineraries, overly fawning intrusive staff, and general indifference if you chose the lower-priced cabin decks. This was the line where we found more than we wanted, and less of what we wanted before we found our own travel home with HAL.

Luxury on Crystal for us means smaller cabins, awkward room arrangements, fewer public rooms, crummy library, poor enrichment speakers on shallow topics, uneven dining offerings, boring itineraries, overly fawning intrusive staff, and general indifference if you chose the lower-priced cabin decks. This was the line where we found more than we wanted, and less of what we wanted before we found our own travel home with HAL.

Interesting you mention that, as I was so very disappointed in my two HAL European cruises to have exactly zero enrichment speakers! (I wasn't expecting any on my one HAL Caribbean cruise -- nor did I get one.)

Perhaps they have speakers on SOME ships and on SOME itineraries but on my European cruises there was nothing offered.

Yes, I cannot imagine why anyone would sail on anything but a HAL cruise.

It is amazing to me that other lines are able to remain in business given the competition from HAL.

Your sarcasm is transparent. HAL works for some; but certainly not all by a long shot. I hope HAL continues to meet a market segment need, now and well into the future. HAL seems to earn loyalty, even in disgruntlement. :cool:

Interesting you mention that, as I was so very disappointed in my two HAL European cruises to have exactly zero enrichment speakers! (I wasn't expecting any on my one HAL Caribbean cruise -- nor did I get one.)

Perhaps they have speakers on SOME ships and on SOME itineraries but on my European cruises there was nothing offered.

They did on the Voyage of the Vikings. They had the best of the best crew as well. I can even forgive the fact there was no one there to bid us farewell (did the first half of the voyage).

Nope, no plans at all to cancel our next HAL cruise or stop cruising with them in the future. Wine (or any beverage) policy is such a small part of our family's vacation that it doesn't factor into our decision making at all when looking for a cruise. We mix in other cruise lines as well, but I have't seen any reason to stop sailing with HAL. Disney is our current other favorite when looking for a more premium experience than HAL.

We cruise all the mass market lines generally choosing the cruise based on the itinerary and if they depart from the US or Canada. Cannot stand international flying anymore as we did a lot in our working years. Regent, Oceania, and Crystal send us brochures weekly but have not found an itinerary we like. We like HAL the best of what we cruise and although we have seen many of the cutbacks mentioned on these boards we still will choose HAL when they meet our criteria. I sympathize with those who are unhappy with the change in the wine policy. It was bound to happen sooner rather than later as they were the only line that was so liberal. Having said that, the change definitely, could have been rolled out better.

Archived