anyone else switching cruise lines???

George C

I looked at other cruise lines---Celebrity, Azamara, Oceania and Seabourne. I still like the HAL itineraries the best. Plus, I really enjoy the promenade deck, the large libraries, the speaker series on the longer voyages and the size of the staterooms for Inside and Oceanview.

As far as I can discover only Carnival and Disney have large inside and Oceanview staterooms. Since we are Disney Vacation Club members we can sail on Disney anytime we want. I am not interested in Carnival at all.

We have sailed lots of the shorter itineraries and are now looking at longer voyages--42 days plus. Our last major trip was 55 days. If we were interested in only a 14 day cruise once or twice a year, we might consider changing cruise lines and get a veranda. But right now we would rather save money by not having a veranda and cruising more.

And for the record, I am disappointed in the change of the wine policy. And I certainly understand why people with fabulous wine collection would want to bring more than two bottles aboard and drink a glass or two on their veranda.

Even though, a corkage fee would prevent us from bringing wine aboard (we generally don't spend that much for wine), I do hope that they will change their mind about not offering a corkage fee for extra bottles about the two limit. Especially since they seem to be cutting back on their wine stewards in the main dining room. On our last trip, my husband poured our wine as the wine steward wasn't around. Not a big deal for us. We still had a lovely meal. But we are paying 15 % extra and didn't get the service. When we have extraordinary service, we tip extra.

The main thing that bothers me (but not enough to change cruise-lines), is the wine shore excursions. We enjoy taking HAL's shore excursion and buying a couple of bottle of wine. I'm not interesting in taking one, if I'm not allowed to bring back some wine without a corkage fee.

Have to add we also love the fabulous flower displays aboard HAL ships. I wander through the ship photographing all the beautiful flowers.

Interesting you mention that, as I was so very disappointed in my two HAL European cruises to have exactly zero enrichment speakers! (I wasn't expecting any on my one HAL Caribbean cruise -- nor did I get one.)

Perhaps they have speakers on SOME ships and on SOME itineraries but on my European cruises there was nothing offered.

This is just another HA "cut back" and we sure got an ear full about this problem when on the Prinsendam a couple of years ago. The Cruise Director (no longer a cruise director) admitted his frustration with HA cutting his budget for speakers/lecturers. They still have them on the Grand Cruises....but have really cut-back on speakers on other cruises. Our CD actually told passengers that if they enjoyed the lectures (and we had to great speakers on that particular long cruise) they should mention it in the evaluations and follow-up with e-mails to Seattle telling them how much they enjoyed having speakers.

Hank

This is just another HA "cut back" and we sure got an ear full about this problem when on the Prinsendam a couple of years ago. The Cruise Director (no longer a cruise director) admitted his frustration with HA cutting his budget for speakers/lecturers. They still have them on the Grand Cruises....but have really cut-back on speakers on other cruises. Our CD actually told passengers that if they enjoyed the lectures (and we had to great speakers on that particular long cruise) they should mention it in the evaluations and follow-up with e-mails to Seattle telling them how much they enjoyed having speakers.

Hank

Considering the garbage lecturer we had on our last Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise -- yes they must have.

The wine policy does not effect me -- we have crossed to the dark side (Oceania) -- especially after our last cruise on the Zuiderdam.

Why would someone want to switch cruise lines because of a wine policy, get real! You will be able to bring a bottle of wine per person, and if you are a single traveler just one bottle. How much more wine does one drink at home compared to when traveling on a ship? There are other enjoyment factors on a Holland America cruise than drinking wine, if that is what all the complainers want, then try Carnival, or do a 3 day weekend weekend booze cruise.

Donald

Why would someone want to switch cruise lines because of a wine policy, get real! You will be able to bring a bottle of wine per person, and if you are a single traveler just one bottle. How much more wine does one drink at home compared to when traveling on a ship? There are other enjoyment factors on a Holland America cruise than drinking wine, if that is what all the complainers want, then try Carnival, or do a 3 day weekend weekend booze cruise.

Donald

Kudos to you for completely missing the point.

Donald

a 3 day booze cruise??? seriously??? We are booked on a 30 day Med and Black Sea cruise and you think that there are no nice bottles of wine there that one might want to bring back on the ship from port?

You have totally missed what that is about but that's ok, since we enjoy wine and didn't like the way they originally instituted the policy we are now booze hounds.

Wow!

Donald

Wow! Really? Just how dark is it up there?

GEEZ, I just really don’t understand why some people, that have a favorite cruise line, have to get so defensive, insulting and judgmental, just because others have expressed their displeasure on a particular topic. IT’s a cruise line, it’s not like someone has insulted your mother. We don’t all have to drive the same brand of cars do we? I don’t believe that I have read a single post where anyone has suggested that anyone else leave HAL, but if we choose to do so, or say anything at all negative, we get insults from some people. Some of you just need to get over yourselves and practice what you preach, and stop being so blatantly righteous.

End of rant...I sincerely hope everyone has many years of pleasurable cruising, no matter which cruise line you choose.

Donald

You are missing the point...we enjoy cruising and are looking forward to a European cruise this fall with many stops in locales with wonderful vineyards...and look forward to picking up a bottle of wine in port to enjoy on our verandah at sailaway. Does that make us "booze cruise" candidates??? Hmmmm...I don't think so!

You are missing the point...we enjoy cruising and are looking forward to a European cruise this fall with many stops in locales with wonderful vineyards...and look forward to picking up a bottle of wine in port to enjoy on our verandah at sailaway. Does that make us "booze cruise" candidates??? Hmmmm...I don't think so!

Sheila, You have hit the nail on the head. That is the main issue now and keep those E-mails to Hal going or they will believe we have accepted the new policy.

No problem paying a cover charge on a couple of bottles upon re-embarkation after a wine excursion tour or finding a wine from a local wine region.

Why visit a famous wine region and enjoying a wine tasting if you cannot bring a favorite wine back on-board?

Sheila, You have hit the nail on the head. That is the main issue now and keep those E-mails to Hal going or they will believe we have accepted the new policy.

No problem paying a cover charge on a couple of bottles upon re-embarkation after a wine excursion tour or finding a wine from a local wine region.

Why visit a famous wine region and enjoying a wine tasting if you cannot bring a favorite wine back on-board?

Precisely, Bruce...we need to keep the emails to HAL in full force...letting them know our displeasure with the entire policy.

Many of us agree that a corkage fee on additional wines brought on board...$15 a bottle...the fee Princess has in place....would be fair.

What is unfair is HAL going from one extreme to the other...without notice.

I don't know if emails will do it - the replies aren't exactly heart warming and I am sure you have all suggested corkage fees. Definitely keep them up but there are other alternatives...

Laminator posted a great idea and started a thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1889912

a great way to spread the word on Face Book and still be optimistic and get the message across - he makes a good point that we can get the message out more on social media and no corporation likes that.

In any case - his suggestion is to me a good one - take a look and post what you think.

I love it when someone thinks outside the box:D

Is there any value in setting up a FB group along the lines of "Ask Holland America to Review their Wine Policy changes" or something? I know VERY little about FB -- anyone? (.... and seeing as I can't even get FB to load for me right now, I have only the idea, no ability ;) )

One of my favourite pass times on a cruise is sitting on the verandah with a good book and enjoying a glass wine....wine of MY choice, not the cruise line choice. I will pay corkage on the extra if I have to but it has to be reasonable AND I still want to bring a reasonable amount on board.

One bottle each for a seven day cruise is not enough for us, so it is hardly enough for 14 or 28 days. On our TA this past November, we brought back 2 bottles of a very nice red from the Douro Valley our stop in Madiera. No issue with Celebrity. On reflection, we should have boarded with four.

I am confident that given some time to reflect (and read their email), the brain trust at HAL will revise their policy and arrive at a solution that works for everyone....or almost everyone.

Failing that, cruisers can always vote with their feet and their dollars. Sometimes this is the most effective option when one hits a brick wall as it were.

Is there any value in setting up a FB group along the lines of "Ask Holland America to Review their Wine Policy changes" or something? I know VERY little about FB -- anyone? (.... and seeing as I can't even get FB to load for me right now, I have only the idea, no ability ;) )

I don't think you can do that - I think you need to just post in the comments. The whole point of their page is to share experiences. So, Laminator's suggestion works into their rules very well.:)

I don't know if emails will do it - the replies aren't exactly heart warming and I am sure you have all suggested corkage fees. Definitely keep them up but there are other alternatives...

Laminator posted a great idea and started a thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1889912

a great way to spread the word on Face Book and still be optimistic and get the message across - he makes a good point that we can get the message out more on social media and no corporation likes that.

In any case - his suggestion is to me a good one - take a look and post what you think.

I love it when someone thinks outside the box:D

With the barrage of E-mails Hal has received on this issue,one should not expect a personalized response this soon. Many of us have received the corporate response and that is all I have expected.

I'm sure they are looking at our responses but any changes are not going to happen over night. They have already made a concession and hopefully are discussing our concerns.

Again changes are not going to be achieved over night. We just need to keep letting Hal know we have not forgot or have succumbed to the new wine policy without a few exceptions or modifications.

Patience but persistent.

With the barrage of E-mails Hal has received on this issue,one should not expect a personalized response this soon. Many of us have received the corporate response and that is all I have expected.

I'm sure they are looking at our responses but any changes are not going to happen over night. They have already made a concession and hopefully are discussing our concerns.

Again changes are not going to be achieved over night. We just need to keep letting Hal know we have not forgot or have succumbed to the new wine policy without a few exceptions or modifications.

Patience but persistent.

You are more optimistic than I - who knows how much of a barrage they got?

I'm hoping that they did and if they did - then while I appreciate that it will be a corporate response, all they have to do is say - 'thank you for your suggestions - they are under review'. At least acknowledge those who made them.

I guess I am too fussy.:o

Certainly I will reply back when I get my reply (note the when) or send a new one off - but I do think Laminator's idea was a good one.

Certain social medias reach more people than cruise critic. JMO though;)

Started looking at other lines after wine policy change. Got great desl on RCCL Navigator of the seas, mini-suite ( same size as SS on Hal) for under 1300 for the week, since there is a over 55 discount and I also get a diamond level discount. Wine policy was main reason last 4 cruises were Hal, also save a bundle on air fare since cruise leves from Gavelston.

Since you asked... No I am not changing cruise lines over the change in wine policy. Most lines have the same policy, and those that don't are not my preferred lines. And some that don't have a better wine list anyway!

I think HAL implemented the situation poorly, but I suspect there are many reasons... besides selling more wine... for their decision. I also suspect I support some of those reasons.

In any event, I do not make a decision on which cruise line based upon how much wine I can haul aboard. However, I fully understand the opinions of those who have developed a cruise routine that includes consumption of wines not available at a reasonable price on-board. There are many reasons we all have for cruising, and for those whom wine is an important part, this is a disappointment.

It is a little sad that there is not some sort of "Passenger Advisory Board" that the cruise lines could run their ideas by to see if they have missed something. This would not be a 'be all-end all' solution, but it might go a little ways toward avoiding some of their most publicly embarrassing moments.

When they make me King... I will handle it better! ;)

You are more optimistic than I - who knows how much of a barrage they got?

I'm hoping that they did and if they did - then while I appreciate that it will be a corporate response, all they have to do is say - 'thank you for your suggestions - they are under review'. At least acknowledge those who made them.

I guess I am too fussy.:o

Certainly I will reply back when I get my reply (note the when) or send a new one off - but I do think Laminator's idea was a good one.

Certain social medias reach more people than cruise critic. JMO though;)

The more forms of communication on the issue the better. The days of bring all the wine you want are over in Jan 2014.

IMO we need to address the ability of paying a cover charge on one bottle of wine, per person, brought on-board upon embarkation at any port of call.

Still looking forward to all our booked Dam cruises.

Archived