HDMI ports on cabin TVs

Gig103

Hi all,

I saw a thread about DVD players and it got me wondering about HDMI ports. Not that I would recommend someone lug a DVD player with them, but with tablets having HDMI out, and that new Google Chromestick, it made me wonder if TVs have accessible ports or if they are disabled.

For my particular case I am asking about the Infinity CC cabins, but any experiences would be welcome in this thread.

Oh, there's lots of reason to be able to use the TV with external programming besides just watching movies and TV. DH and I like to compile slides shows of the digital pictures we taken. It's nice to have on while we're getting ready for the morning or evening activities. We also like to download video we've taken with our Go Pro camera. We get great action shots and it's nice to see what we've captured.

We can wait until we get home but it would be nice to be able to view and enjoy while we're still on board.

I am not a technical guru, but my 26 year old son is. He was unable to make it work for us on the television on Summit. Not sure if S class TVs are any different.

The TVs are set to hotel mode which disables HDMI. That would be either a remote control of the manufacturer that can change that mode or a switch on the TV. I have been at hotels where there were TVs with the switch. I have not looked at the TVs onboard Celebrity to see if they have the hotel switch.

No offense, but seeing alot of threads on TV's makes you wonder why go on a cruise if the TV is so important...stay home, save your money and watch the TV 24/7...

I think it's obtuse of you to imply that those of us asking about in-cabin TV are slaves to it and doing nothing but watching it all week. :rolleyes: There is a lot to do on board, but sometimes relaxing in bed with a show or movie in the evening is nice.

Oh, and in case you are unaware, the phrase "no offense" usually prefaces something judgmental or offensive, so next time you find yourself typing it, you are better off pressing the "Back" button instead.

I think it's obtuse of you to imply that those of us asking about in-cabin TV are slaves to it and doing nothing but watching it all week. :rolleyes: There is a lot to do on board, but sometimes relaxing in bed with a show or movie in the evening is nice.

Oh, and in case you are unaware, the phrase "no offense" usually prefaces something judgmental or offensive, so next time you find yourself typing it, you are better off pressing the "Back" button instead.

Good point!

No offense, but seeing alot of threads on TV's makes you wonder why go on a cruise if the TV is so important...stay home, save your money and watch the TV 24/7...

No offense, but why go on a cruise at all? You can drink at home, eat at home and, since you live in Florida, lay out in the sun at home.

I like to watch TV and movies on a cruise. I like to read my email too, so I take my laptop. That's what I enjoy and, since it doesn't harm anyone else, why not?

"No offense, but seeing alot of threads on TV's makes you wonder why go on a cruise if the TV is so important...stay home, save your money and watch the TV 24/7..."

I guess you have never caught something on a cruise and had to stay in your room for a while.

Or had trouble sleeping and wanted something to watch in the night.

The TVs are set to hotel mode which disables HDMI. That would be either a remote control of the manufacturer that can change that mode or a switch on the TV. I have been at hotels where there were TVs with the switch. I have not looked at the TVs onboard Celebrity to see if they have the hotel switch.

Very easy to bypass "Hotel Mode" please see my post with detailed instructions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37957332&highlight=tv#post37957332

Happy to answer any questions!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

A+ for you!!!! :)

Amen, amen. "No offense" is supposed to let someone off the hook for the upcoming rude comment. Not.

I have been cruising for close to 30 years and no longer have the energy to stay out all night and party like I did at the beginning. It is nice to come back after dinner, and jump in bed and relax and watch a movie. Ditto for multiple days at sea - I am not a pool person, nor do I enjoy bingo or glass blowing shows. It is very relaxing to go back to the cabin mid-day, pour a glass of wine, and chill out and watch a little tv. To each their own.

Edited by phoenix_dream

We picked up a portable DVD player that has 9" screen. It has become very handy. We can watch a DVD when traveling in the car, plug it into a TV and use it as a DVD player and also connect other devises such as a camera to look at pictures. They aren't very big and don't take up much room, and don't cost much.

We took it on our last cruise to use for our workout DVDs to continue the program that we were working on.

Very easy to bypass "Hotel Mode" please see my post with detailed instructions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37957332&highlight=tv#post37957332

Happy to answer any questions!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

When on ship call Guest Relations and request that your TV be unlocked so you may use HDMI. Works for me and on the past 4 X cruises. They may tell you NO, but then ask to speak to IT Department. They will do it! I use Tablet or Android Phone to stream Videos via HDMI to TV.

We were in the PH suite on Eclipse last March. Both the tv in the MBR and the main room were Samsungs, not sure of the model. There was an accessible HDMI slot on both tvs (I think it was on the side of the tv but can't quite remember but it was easy to get to), you did not have to detach the cable already attached in the back by celebrity. Once you attached your hdmi cable, you needed to switch the tv mode to hdmi input which you CANNOT do with the remote but you can do with the manual "mode" button that is on the top of the tv (could have been on the side). You will cycle through things like cable tv, PC and other modes before you get to the hdmi mode. This is similar to most tvs that you buy these days. Anyway, it was quite easy once I figured out how to switch the viewing input mode. Watched a bunch of movies I had on my laptop that I directed to the tv. Anyway, hope this helps.

Mark

Amen, amen. "No offense" is supposed to let someone off the hook for the upcoming rude comment. Not.

I have been cruising for close to 30 years and no longer have the energy to stay out all night and party like I did at the beginning. It is nice to come back after dinner, and jump in bed and relax and watch a movie. Ditto for multiple days at sea - I am not a pool person, nor do I enjoy bingo or glass blowing shows. It is very relaxing to go back to the cabin mid-day, pour a glass of wine, and chill out and watch a little tv. To each their own.

Good for you. A glass of wine, in bed at mid-day. My type of cruiser.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Haha, someone on CC said that Princess shows Love Boat reruns!

Just read the news that the love boat was leaving genoa and heading to scrap yard. It would have made a great tourist attraction.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 years later...

I agree! It's also nice to be able to plug an HDMI port into the TV and use its speakers for music so we don't have to bring our own bluetooth speakers.

The OP asked a question. As fellow CCers, if we chose to respond, it should be to offer a helpful response, not judge the question posted. Other posters have offered a number of reasons a person might want to hook into the HDMI - hope that satisfied your curiosity.

As for myself, thank you OP for the question as you have been provided with several options that will be very helpful to me as well. :)