Cunard changes smoking policy

jer_l

I usually keep quiet, but I am tired of the anti smoking attitude. Yes I smoke. I travel solo and really can't see paying the money for a veranda. I think you people should be a little considerate. It used to be we could smoke in our cabins, then you complained. If they would only stop the smoking in the cabins we'll be happy. They stopped it, and you are still complaining.

If you are going to take away more of the smoking space, then please don't allow any wine on board. I rarely drink, and I know some of you that are complaining about smoking want wine brought on board. I don't believe even one bottle should be allowed.

If you can't have compassion, why should I????

Really, I don't recall anyone saying they would be happy if Hal discontinued smoking in cabins. I think most people would want both cabins and balconies. Could you provide a link where anyone said that because ill be happy to apologize. Frankly it doesn't bother me that Hal has changed the wine policy because I do not schlep wine onboard. I buy from Hal so no compassion is required.

I have never smoked, my husband smoked. In 2002, he had surgery to open an artery. Since his bad cholesterol level was very low, the Dr. warned him then of the dangers of continuing to smoke. He ignored the warning, despite the dangers. He loved those cigarettes!

When DH & I booked an inside cabin & went on our first HAL cruise (Maasdam 2008), I told him 6 months before we sailed that HAL didn't allow smoking, so he would have to quit. I lied out of love & concern. Quess what? He believed me because he didn't check out CC for himself!

He took no cigarettes on board, and we never ventured into any areas where smoking was allowed until one evening late in the cruise. When he saw others smoking, he just looked at me and said in a heart-felt tone, "Thank you." He had been trying to quit for years (smoked since he was 15). When he saw the smokers, we were 8 days into a 10-day cruise, and he hadn't had a cigarette since we'd embarked. I was terrified he'd ask one of them for a cigarette.

Nope. Since he didn't want to go through the withdrawal again, he ignored those smoking around us. He has not smoked since; however the damage had been done. After all those decades of smoking, he was diagnosed with circulatory problems in late 2008, COPD in 2009, and now we're facing two surgeries for circulatory problems in his legs. The Drs. also report he has probably had a silent heart attack in the last few weeks and blame it all on the fact that he smoked for so many years.

All of a sudden, I'm wondering how many years we have left together. (Married 43 yrs. & was hoping for 3 more decades together at least. RuthC, I'm thinking about you & all the other widows who post on these boards.) He cannot tolerate smoke now and will move away from it. Sadly, the damage has already been done.

Even though we always book an inside cabin, were HAL to ban smoking on verandahs, I'd probably cheer. DH says he would too!

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

You well could save someone from the same pain by sharing.

Wishing you and your DH all the best.

Hello HAL........

What are you waiting for?

Surely you know how many guests are fed up with losing use of our verandahs.

How much complaining do you want before you do what you know is the right thing to do?

Hope HAL is taking note.

Really, I don't recall anyone saying they would be happy if Hal discontinued smoking in cabins. I think most people would want both cabins and balconies. Could you provide a link where anyone said that because ill be happy to apologize. Frankly it doesn't bother me that Hal has changed the wine policy because I do not schlep wine onboard. I buy from Hal so no compassion is required.

Not in this thread they haven't, but before smoking was banned in cabins surely you must recall the number of people concerned about having a room where people had been smoking? In a lot of those threads posters said smoking should be banned because they couldn't guarantee they wouldn't have a smelly cabin. This was in spite of being assured that staff dealt with the odours.

If you must insist on smoking being banned on verandahs, then at least suggest that an indoor area is provided for smokers (one or 2 of you already have - thank you).

Not in this thread they haven't, but before smoking was banned in cabins surely you must recall the number of people concerned about having a room where people had been smoking? In a lot of those threads posters said smoking should be banned because they couldn't guarantee they wouldn't have a smelly cabin. This was in spite of being assured that staff dealt with the odours.

If you must insist on smoking being banned on verandahs, then at least suggest that an indoor area is provided for smokers (one or 2 of you already have - thank you).

I see no problem at all with having an indoor space. When you smoke you cant smell how bad stale smoke smell so that is the concern with cabins. Many times I get in an empty elevator and there is a stale smoke smell. That's how in lingers. I am a former smoker. I don't enjoy smelling smoke on the balcony.

While we're at it, lets ban perfume, obese people and drunks. Perfume can kill those allergic to it, drunks can hurt you, and obese people just block up the aisles and add to the food costs.

How about people with disabilities or ugly people:eek:? Your post is offensive.

Hello HAL........

What are you waiting for?

Surely you know how many guests are fed up with losing use of our verandahs.

How much complaining do you want before you do what you know is the right thing to do?

Very well said! Sooner or later HAL will choose to join those of us who live in the 21st Century!

I see no problem at all with having an indoor space. When you smoke you cant smell how bad stale smoke smell so that is the concern with cabins. Many times I get in an empty elevator and there is a stale smoke smell. That's how in lingers. I am a former smoker. I don't enjoy smelling smoke on the balcony.

The few times that I have communicated with HAL regarding the idea of having one indoor area for smokers, the response was that they will never have any indoor smoking room on any of their ships. So, it sounds like that idea has been considered and rejected.

The few times that I have communicated with HAL regarding the idea of having one indoor area for smokers, the response was that they will never have any indoor smoking room on any of their ships. So, it sounds like that idea has been considered and rejected.

If proof is needed, then consider the removal of the Oak Room on the various ships. That was the dedicated smoking room, closed off from other areas, and could easily be avoided by anyone who didn't want to walk by. (no, Jacqui, I am not talking about the Prinsendam, where the Oak Room is something else entirely.)

Since there are times when the outside decks are closed off, and other times when smoking out there is forbidden, it certainly does make sense to provide an indoor smoking area.

HAL seems to be approaching a policy where smoking is not banned, but there will be no places where smoking is allowed. :eek:

Hardly an equitable policy.

If proof is needed, then consider the removal of the Oak Room on the various ships. That was the dedicated smoking room, closed off from other areas, and could easily be avoided by anyone who didn't want to walk by. (no, Jacqui, I am not talking about the Prinsendam, where the Oak Room is something else entirely.)

Since there are times when the outside decks are closed off, and other times when smoking out there is forbidden, it certainly does make sense to provide an indoor smoking area.

HAL seems to be approaching a policy where smoking is not banned, but there will be no places where smoking is allowed. :eek:

Why does HAL have to go with all or nothing? That's just wrong. I wonder how Celebrity and Princess handle it. I sail with Princess fairly often but since I don't smoke I've never found out.

Why is there no compromise for your fellow passenger's when it comes to the smoking policy on HA?

At this time I am now a full 4 months smoke free. It has been the HARDEST fight of my life. I am not asking for anyone's compassion or anything but before you go around wanting a smoker not to be able to smoke anywhere you may wish to walk to on a ship, you need to understand that it is not all about you. The nicotine that a smoker inhales in very much an ADDICTION! There is more tolerance for drinker's. Many have their addiction there too.

I never smoked where I intentionally wanted to harm anyone else with second hand smoke. In fact I would go way out of the way to do the non tolerated habit.

Many who over drink invade my space. It really bothers me. Is the drink really only affecting the one drinking it? I think not. I have never seen a cigarette beat its spouse, kill an innocent family out for a drive... Get it?

Thanks for my rant here. I really feel that one any given ship, there is room for everyone. HA has to be close to not allowing smoking on the balcony's, but what will you anti-smoking people want next? There will be something, I'm sure.

Why is there no compromise for your fellow passenger's when it comes to the smoking policy on HA?

At this time I am now a full 4 months smoke free. It has been the HARDEST fight of my life. I am not asking for anyone's compassion or anything but before you go around wanting a smoker not to be able to smoke anywhere you may wish to walk to on a ship, you need to understand that it is not all about you. The nicotine that a smoker inhales in very much an ADDICTION! There is more tolerance for drinker's. Many have their addiction there too.

I never smoked where I intentionally wanted to harm anyone else with second hand smoke. In fact I would go way out of the way to do the non tolerated habit.

Many who over drink invade my space. It really bothers me. Is the drink really only affecting the one drinking it? I think not. I have never seen a cigarette beat its spouse, kill an innocent family out for a drive... Get it?

Thanks for my rant here. I really feel that one any given ship, there is room for everyone. HA has to be close to not allowing smoking on the balcony's, but what will you anti-smoking people want next? There will be something, I'm sure.

So your blaming alcohol for spousal abuse?

Alrighty then. I'm happy that you've stop smoking and I don't doubt it was very difficult. Congratulations.

Good post Ruth. You summed it up very well

I am glad you quit smoking, and I identify.....

It was the hardest thing ever for me to do 20 years ago. Hang in there, it does get better, I promise.

Ruth, you always reply with a thoughtful, balanced answer; unlike some posters on this board (I think of them as the"Mean girls") who get so shrill in their posts. Thank you

I am glad you quit smoking, and I identify.....

It was the hardest thing ever for me to do 20 years ago. Hang in there, it does get better, I promise.

I entirely agree - giving up smoking was so hard, especially for me the chain-smoker:eek:

To hal lover - I do think most non-smokers here understand, and in pretty much all the smoking threads it has been stated that smokers need a room inside, out of the elements, where they can smoke.

I entirely agree - giving up smoking was so hard, especially for me the chain-smoker:eek:

Me too, my DH even worse. I was a 1-2 pack a day smoker for 24 years, my DH smoked for close to 40 years, and was up to 3-4 packs a day. I always said we were the two most addicted people on the planet, and if we could do it, cold turkey no less, anyone can do it. You just have to make up your mind and stick to it, no matter how rough it seems to get. I felt like "Gumby Woman" for the first few weeks, like I could just lay on the ground and go into a fit. Ate a lot of pretzels, the crunch helped. DH ate those Werthers Caramel Candies by the bagful. I put on 15 pounds but didn't care. DH put on 40 pounds, one for each year he smoked. Awful to go through, and so glad it is over. Would never want to pick up another cigarette as long as I live. Funny thing is, I still dream that I am smoking once in awhile and it scares me so bad it wakes me up at night. That is just how far down into your brain that addiction goes.......food for thought!

If only HAL had done things in reverse order! :rolleyes:

Unlike the extra revenue from increased wines sales, there's no immediate new revenue to be gained from a smoking ban

Money $$$ speaks first :)

Srpilo

Me too, my DH even worse. I was a 1-2 pack a day smoker for 24 years, my DH smoked for close to 40 years, and was up to 3-4 packs a day. I always said we were the two most addicted people on the planet, and if we could do it, cold turkey no less, anyone can do it. You just have to make up your mind and stick to it, no matter how rough it seems to get. I felt like "Gumby Woman" for the first few weeks, like I could just lay on the ground and go into a fit. Ate a lot of pretzels, the crunch helped. DH ate those Werthers Caramel Candies by the bagful. I put on 15 pounds but didn't care. DH put on 40 pounds, one for each year he smoked. Awful to go through, and so glad it is over. Would never want to pick up another cigarette as long as I live. Funny thing is, I still dream that I am smoking once in awhile and it scares me so bad it wakes me up at night. That is just how far down into your brain that addiction goes.......food for thought!

For me it was carrot sticks - I think I turned orange for awhile:D and I was forever chewing on a stir stik! Every now and then I dream that I've started smoking again, and I wake up with a dread of having to go through quitting all over again. What a relief when I'm fully awake! But every now and then, even now, I will reach for my cigarettes after dinner:eek: and then laugh at myself! What I most appreciated was the freedom that quitting gave me. No more trying to find places to smoke, worrying if I had a light, getting to the store before it closed if I ran out. (Ashamed to admit I was a 3-pack a day person.......:o)

My dad was a smoker. Like you say you have to put your mind to it. He's a person that has zero willpower but he did it. I was a casual smoker, I could easily pick it up or quit. I wish other things were that easy for me. Some folks are just not ready to do it.

Archived