No cabin assignment 24 hours before sailing

We are sailing on the Oasis tomorrow 8/17 and have a guarantee suite. As of this posting, we still don't have a cabin assignment. I have never had this happen in the past. Is anyone else having issues? Comments? Thanks all....

Why? It's true.

Because it was the 4th post to what is a very serious situation for this cruiser. (see original post above) Goofy. Insensitive.

Hope the OP is taken care of tomorrow!

I would be worried to if I didn't have a cabin assignment a day out from leaving. I forgot where they OP lives and is cruising from, and if air is involved that would heartbreaking to arrive and you don't have a cabin assigned. Checked, she is from Georgia so air would be involved. Hope everything works out for her. Should watch the Web cam and have her wave at us to let us know she is on board safely. :-)

I was not left at the pier, but at 4:30pm the night before I was to go on the majesty of the seas for a weekend birthday cruise for my wife I got a call from RCCL. The majesty was oversold and they wanted to know if I would go on the Oasis or a week instead. Needless to say, we took the Oasis that departed on Saturday, DW still thinks Royal gave it to her as a birthday present.:)

Wow, I had no idea that kind of thing actually happened with cruise lines! And what an awesome birthday present - a week on the Oasis for a Majesty weekend price!

This does help explain why some guarantee cruisers don't get cabin assignments until they get to the ship.

I can't wait to hear how it turns out. When I started cruising, there was no internet and you never knew your cabin assignment until you showed up at the pier. I understand the OP is afraid there will be no room available, I certainly hope this is not the case. By the way, several people have referred to the OP as a she, since the screen name is 2atlantamen, I will refer to him as a he! :D

I was not left at the pier, but at 4:30pm the night before I was to go on the majesty of the seas for a weekend birthday cruise for my wife I got a call from RCCL. The majesty was oversold and they wanted to know if I would go on the Oasis or a week instead. Needless to say, we took the Oasis that departed on Saturday, DW still thinks Royal gave it to her as a birthday present.:)

I do not often hear about oversold situations on Royal Caribbean, but for RetNavy, they handled it correctly. The cruiseline found a flexible couple who were thrilled to change dates and take a longer cruise on a bigger ship. Oversold may be rare, but it can potentially be handled well.

Because it was the 4th post to what is a very serious situation for this cruiser. (see original post above) Goofy. Insensitive.

Hope the OP is taken care of tomorrow!

I don't understand why it is a serious situation. When booking a gty, this is the room description...

With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a stateroom within a selected category, anywhere on the ship. Room assignments may be determined at any time after your reservation has been completed and paid in full up to the day of sailing.

If you aren't comfortable with that possibility, they you shouldn't book the gty.

I don't understand why it is a serious situation. When booking a gty, this is the room description...

With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a stateroom within a selected category, anywhere on the ship. Room assignments may be determined at any time after your reservation has been completed and paid in full up to the day of sailing.

If you aren't comfortable with that possibility, they you shouldn't book the gty.

I think someone had pointed out that a guarantee is no longer a guarantee, especially if the ship has been oversold. I would see it as stressful if a room is not allocated within a day or two before sailing, but I do acknowledge that a room can be allocated on the day. It is the not knowing if you are going to board or not that is the strssful point. And forsight is a wonderful thing.... right?

I think someone had pointed out that a guarantee is no longer a guarantee, especially if the ship has been oversold. I would see it as stressful if a room is not allocated within a day or two before sailing, but I do acknowledge that a room can be allocated on the day. It is the not knowing if you are going to board or not that is the strssful point. And forsight is a wonderful thing.... right?

The person who made the big deal about the ship being oversold doesn't even cruise this cruiseline and has no idea how a guarantee works. The OP booked a guarantee which specifically says the cabin can be allocated up until the day of sailing. The OP will find out what cabin they got at the pier.

The person who made the big deal about the ship being oversold doesn't even cruise this cruiseline and has no idea how a guarantee works. The OP booked a guarantee which specifically says the cabin can be allocated up until the day of sailing. The OP will find out what cabin they got at the pier.

Post #80 would suggest that it would be possible.... hence my comment. If you are saying the author of post #80 doesn't sail with RCCL, then their post doesn't make sense.

Hope everything turns out well for the OP. I would be extremely nervous too even when I know the cabin can be allocated up to the last minute and especially with having to fly to join a ship. This is a very stressful situation. Good luck OP!

As it´s been pointed out a guarantee is called because you pay less for your cabin and in Exchange don´t know your exact cabin number but you are guaranteed a Minimum category.

Sometimes you get assigned a cabin pretty fast and sometimes you won´t find out until embarkation.

There´s nothing unusual about the OP´s situation and there´s nothing to complain about with the TA and/or cruiseline.

When he booked a Suite guarantee he will be able to use that check-in line and of course he will be able to check his luggage with the porters, as they will know the cabin number.

There is absolutely no indication this cruise was oversold at all and as the OP wasn´t contacted at any point prior he will get onboard.

The Person that brought up the oversold Situation is known from Prior Posts as having a personal issue with RCI so s/he won´t miss an opportunity to bash RCI. In this Situation I have to say it was quite unfair to scare the hell out of the OP with spreading plain gossip and feeding his/her personal vendetta - just sad.

Post #80 would suggest that it would be possible.... hence my comment. If you are saying the author of post #80 doesn't sail with RCCL, then their post doesn't make sense.

RetNavy was contacted by the cruiseline and accepted an offer to sail another ship because the ship was oversold. They did not find out at the pier that the ship was oversold. A poster earlier in this thread was making a big deal about the ship being oversold and telling the OP they should have a cabin assignment even though the cruiseline specifically says a cabin can be assigned at the pier.

Though rarely, it does happen that a ship is oversold, but it´s not the same like with Airlines. A cruise line will know beforehand and they will contact People like RetNavy. You won´t show up at the pier and denied Boarding regardless if you booked an assigned cabin or a guarantee.

RetNavy was contacted by the cruiseline and accepted an offer to sail another ship because the ship was oversold. They did not find out at the pier that the ship was oversold. A poster earlier in this thread was making a big deal about the ship being oversold and telling the OP they should have a cabin assignment even though the cruiseline specifically says a cabin can be assigned at the pier.

Sorry to be picky... but the operative word is can not will. Didn't intentionally want to start an argument. I do hope a positive resolution can be found for the OP. :)

(And I conceed your point RetNavy)

Hope everything turns out well for the OP. I would be extremely nervous too even when I know the cabin can be allocated up to the last minute and especially with having to fly to join a ship. This is a very stressful situation. Good luck OP!

I fully understand your sentiments, but then you better should not book a guarantee. I probably wouldn´t book a guarantee either, but if you do you Need to understand how it works.

Unfortunately some People on here just try to add to the stress:eek:

I have cruised RCCL, I certainly understand how a guarantee works, and I didn't make a big deal about it being oversold, however that is a possibility that must be considered.

As it´s been pointed out a guarantee is called because you pay less for your cabin and in Exchange don´t know your exact cabin number but you are guaranteed a Minimum category.

Sometimes you get assigned a cabin pretty fast and sometimes you won´t find out until embarkation.

There´s nothing unusual about the OP´s situation and there´s nothing to complain about with the TA and/or cruiseline.

When he booked a Suite guarantee he will be able to use that check-in line and of course he will be able to check his luggage with the porters, as they will know the cabin number.

There is absolutely no indication this cruise was oversold at all and as the OP wasn´t contacted at any point prior he will get onboard.

The Person that brought up the oversold Situation is known from Prior Posts as having a personal issue with RCI so s/he won´t miss an opportunity to bash RCI. In this Situation I have to say it was quite unfair to scare the hell out of the OP with spreading plain gossip and feeding his/her personal vendetta - just sad.

I would have said the same thing regardless of the cruise line. This has nothing to do with RCI. If anything, I think her TA was wrong when he passed her off to his supervisor.

Absolutely amazing the number of posters on this thread who feel the need to suggest that the OP DEMAND an answer from either their Travel agent or RCI when the terms and conditions are so clearly stated.

Self entitlement at its best.

Can't possibly imagine sitting at a table with you in the MDR if someone showed up in shorts.

You might not have heard about it--but it can and DOES happen. Generally about a week in advance they begin to realize they have an oversold situation and begin calling people, asking them to accept some sort of perk/credit for taking their cruise on a different date. If they don't get takers, they pray that someone doesn't show up or ends up denied boarding for whatever reason so a cabin opens. But there are cases of people who are left behind on the dock as the ship sails because the ship is oversold.

Are you sure your log in isn't Chicken Little? :rolleyes:

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. If they had not been able to reach you or not been able to get someone to change their plans, someone wouldn't have sailed that day. It does happen.

Wow, you really don't understand. Can't you empathize (understand and share the feelings of another) with the OP at all?

Thankfully most of us can see how this would be a bit frightening less than 24 hours before the cruise. And many have reassured the OP that they will be OK and that RCI will have it settled at the pier.

Hopefully the OP can check back in (during or post cruise) and let us know what cabin they ended up with.

I have cruised RCCL, I certainly understand how a guarantee works, and I didn't make a big deal about it being oversold, however that is a possibility that must be considered.

Well yes it´s a possibility, just like the possibility the ship burned down last night, the ocean went dry, the sky has fallen.....:rolleyes:

If you do understand how a guarantee works you have hidden this knowledge perfectly in all your Posts. Maybe you could have been helpful to the OP instead of scaring him then.

Archived