No cabin assignment 24 hours before sailing

I would try not to worry. I have heard of others getting their cabin/suite assignment after they arrived at the pier. If you ended up not being able to use the suite line, it wouldn't ruin the cruise. I honestly think they will allow it especially when you walk up and say hi...i have reservation...a suite guarantee.

I would assume if the TA couldn't get an answer, it's because it hasn't been assigned yet. It's no different than if I made my own reservation, called, and had them tell me it hasn't been assigned yet. I don't have TA experience so I could be wrong. I'm just thinking they get the same answers I would if O called.

You might make a general inquiry by calling RC and asking if it's common not to have a suite assigned yet, one day prior. I wouldn't even give a name or reservation number. If they say yes, 'its not uncommon', then I hope that alleviates some of the nerves.

I get where you are coming from though...you want to make sure you are getting a suite...period. Let's hope it turns out to be a upgrade and a happy surprise. Good luck!

I just read all the previous posts. When you look at your res on RCCL's website, what does it say? If they show suite or suite guarantee you know your TA's done her/his job correctly. So far as turning you over to a supervisor, maybe the whole thing has escalated and the TA is concerned about tempers getting in the way. If you have always gotten great service, don't lose a good relationship over this. The guarantee means the cruiseline assigns the space in the category paid for. The TA has absolutely no control over when you are notified of the space you are assigned to.

Please come back and tell us the outcome, but meanwhile, try to relax and expect everything to go well!

I can only hope now! Considering I paid over double the cost of a balcony, only good luck will bless me now, LOL Thanks so much, will let you know how this turns out. But as for my TA, he will pay the price, LOL>

Please, please, please, don't blame your TA, they had NOTHING to do with this. It is ALL Royal Caribbean, and their revenue department. Who treat passengers like pieces of meat rather than living breathing humans. It is awful they way they are doing this right now. I have NEVER seen anything like this before. They don't even give you a cabin, a COMPUTER does. And they have very little if any information about you, except when you booked and the price you paid for your W guarantee.

This is a guess, but I think it may be a good one;

What revenue has been doing is up selling, which means if a passenger paid one of the highest prices for a Grand Suite, they call and say for a certain amount of money we will move you to a higher priced cabin, like a Crown Loft Suite or an Owners Suite (but they get you to pay some money for it). Then after they get all those suites sold they have a bunch of Grand suites open, and they call people who paid a very high price for a Junior suite and move them to the Grand suites. Now if they couldn't make any of the deals, the person with the W guarantee goes into a pool, and the computer picks them out and they get the up grade to the left overs, and all the rest move into the JS that were occupied by the people who PAID for an up grade. More money for them, and you get the least of what they promised a JS, sometimes even paying more for that JS, than people booking at the same time that you did.

Unless the ship is very, very empty, you don't have a chance. Now this was not true just a while back, but now it seems to be. The Loyalty desk can't even help you, because revenue hangs on to these cabins until the last possible minute. Sad but true, and definitely not the kinda "WOW" service that we should be made to endure. But it's happening, I think. And it's sad.

So good luck, and definitely check in at the suite check in.

I would call RCCL and get a supervisor on the line. This is unacceptable. Even with a GTY, you booked in good faith expecting the benefits that come with the category that you are paying for, and you are not receiving them.

What exactly is unacceptable about this. It is clearly stated that guarantee rooms can be assigned up until check-in at the pier. Their documents will say a suite guarantee therefore no issues with priority boarding hence no loss of benefits.

What exactly is unacceptable about this. It is clearly stated that guarantee rooms can be assigned up until check-in at the pier. Their documents will say a suite guarantee therefore no issues with priority boarding hence no loss of benefits.

Sorry, I thought that it was something done online prior to arrival at the pier, not just a separate check in queue.

I was told my RCCL that if I don't receive a suite number today, now less than 20 hours until boarding, I will need to carry my own luggage through the entire check in process. This was with myself, TA, and them on the line. It appears something has gone astray and I am being a billy goat for the entire thing. At this point, I will no longer have internet access very shortly, or limited, and thus have to throw my hands up to the mercy of the cruise line. Since I am one (two) of 5400 on this cruise, I don't think they care much!

Please, please, please, don't blame your TA, they had NOTHING to do with this. It is ALL Royal Caribbean, and their revenue department. Who treat passengers like pieces of meat rather than living breathing humans. It is awful they way they are doing this right now. I have NEVER seen anything like this before. They don't even give you a cabin, a COMPUTER does. And they have very little if any information about you, except when you booked and the price you paid for your W guarantee.

This is a guess, but I think it may be a good one;

What revenue has been doing is up selling, which means if a passenger paid one of the highest prices for a Grand Suite, they call and say for a certain amount of money we will move you to a higher priced cabin, like a Crown Loft Suite or an Owners Suite (but they get you to pay some money for it). Then after they get all those suites sold they have a bunch of Grand suites open, and they call people who paid a very high price for a Junior suite and move them to the Grand suites. Now if they couldn't make any of the deals, the person with the W guarantee goes into a pool, and the computer picks them out and they get the up grade to the left overs, and all the rest move into the JS that were occupied by the people who PAID for an up grade. More money for them, and you get the least of what they promised a JS, sometimes even paying more for that JS, than people booking at the same time that you did.

Unless the ship is very, very empty, you don't have a chance. Now this was not true just a while back, but now it seems to be. The Loyalty desk can't even help you, because revenue hangs on to these cabins until the last possible minute. Sad but true, and definitely not the kinda "WOW" service that we should be made to endure. But it's happening, I think. And it's sad.

So good luck, and definitely check in at the suite check in.

Your explanation sounds very reasonable. I shall see. I also asked my TA if I could now cancel considering I am less than 24 hours away and don't have a room number.....they said no, that was not an option!

I was told my RCCL that if I don't receive a suite number today, now less than 20 hours until boarding, I will need to carry my own luggage through the entire check in process. This was with myself, TA, and them on the line. It appears something has gone astray and I am being a billy goat for the entire thing. At this point, I will no longer have internet access very shortly, or limited, and thus have to throw my hands up to the mercy of the cruise line. Since I am one (two) of 5400 on this cruise, I don't think they care much!

As others have said the porters will have an updated manifest so I seriously doubt that you will have to carry your own luggage on board. As others have posted before it is quite common to not receive your room assignment until the time of check in. I have never heard of anyone being denied boarding due to the ship being oversold as is the case with airlines.

Stay positive and enjoy your cruise.

I booked a "W" Guarantee last year for our November Oasis cruise and we did not receive our room assignment until a few days before. We waited until 5 days before to get our assignment on our JS/Suite Guarantee for November and the suites online looked totally sold out as well... Any of the information about the Guarantee does state very clearly that RCCL can issue your room assignment as soon as you book up to the time you arrive at the pier for boarding. The fact that you did not receive your room, does not mean that there won't be a room for you when you get there... it just means that they haven't assigned it yet. The other thing is that you can't count on the room availability (or lack thereof) that is on their website for your cruise is because it can't be booked today online. In order to book within 48 hours of your cruise, you have to call and make arrangements. The finance department releases the rooms and they DO take into account the number of guarantees when they determine if the category is still available.

I know it is stressful and even though they tell you that they CAN assign your room at the pier when boarding, we as consumers do convince ourselves that we will definitely know before then. I am sure you will have a room when you arrive at the pier and I hope that it will be a nice assignment that will make a very happy ending to your stressful story.

BTW - The wait was worth it for us last year, we got an aft-facing Crown Loft assignment. I am hoping the same for you!

If in fact this is the case, call back and speak to a manager. That is unacceptable, especially for a suite guest!!

As others have said the porters will have an updated manifest so I seriously doubt that you will have to carry your own luggage on board. As others have posted before it is quite common to not receive your room assignment until the time of check in. I have never heard of anyone being denied boarding due to the ship being oversold as is the case with airlines.

Stay positive and enjoy your cruise.

You might not have heard about it--but it can and DOES happen. Generally about a week in advance they begin to realize they have an oversold situation and begin calling people, asking them to accept some sort of perk/credit for taking their cruise on a different date. If they don't get takers, they pray that someone doesn't show up or ends up denied boarding for whatever reason so a cabin opens. But there are cases of people who are left behind on the dock as the ship sails because the ship is oversold.

Lets put it this way your travel agent is being quite lazy. A good travel agent would protect their client and be on the phone with RCCL even if it was the middle of the night. Heck if you were my client I would be on the phone with RCCL weeks before and keep checking daily to see the status. You paid for the cruise and it sounds like you are flying to the port.

What happens if you have all of your flights and hotels booked and when you arrive to the port they say"Sorry we don't have a room for you we're all sold out". If you booked the room before the people in your assigned cabin then you should get priority. Demand to speak to the Shore Side Director, Hotel Director and even e-mail Adam Goldstien agoldstein@rccl.com and mark your message Urgent and explain what is going on.

Royal Caribbean has an obligation to keep you informed. But then again it sounds like your travel agent is the one who did something mean by not protecting you. I mean if your travel agent said you want a suite and nothing else that is your right as the customer. Heck you could ask me to book you in the Royal Suite every time I wouldn't mind cause I know I'm getting my commission and you're getting great suite.

My point is I think something is fishy with your agent because he/she transferred you to their supervisor rather than taking ownership of the problem and fixing it. Clearly I believe this agent made a mistake or did something on purpose and does not want to take responsibility for their actions . If this is the case your agent owes you a new flight, hotels, cruise and any shore excursions booked be it they are non-refundable etc.

Please keep calling Royal Caribbean and ask to escalate this problem and to unblock a cabin#.

BTW you should use the suite line it's not your fault you are not booked in a room. A suite guarantee is just that they are able to assign it up until the day before the cruise and very rarely at checkin.

When I booked my cruise I got an assignment within 2 weeks after booking.

Please keep us informed.

I tried to do a mock booking for your sailing for two people in ANY cabin and the web site said there was no availability.

You do realize that is rather common this close to sail date on ALL bookings right?

Is this what you are using to base your oversold theory on?

Why are you doing your best to stress the OP out even moreso than they already are?

Lets put it this way your travel agent is being quite lazy. A good travel agent would protect their client and be on the phone with RCCL even if it was the middle of the night. Heck if you were my client I would be on the phone with RCCL weeks before and keep checking daily to see the status. You paid for the cruise and it sounds like you are flying to the port.

What happens if you have all of your flights and hotels booked and when you arrive to the port they say"Sorry we don't have a room for you we're all sold out". If you booked the room before the people in your assigned cabin then you should get priority. Demand to speak to the Shore Side Director, Hotel Director and even e-mail Adam Goldstien agoldstein@rccl.com and mark your message Urgent and explain what is going on.

Royal Caribbean has an obligation to keep you informed. But then again it sounds like your travel agent is the one who did something mean by not protecting you. I mean if your travel agent said you want a suite and nothing else that is your right as the customer. Heck you could ask me to book you in the Royal Suite every time I wouldn't mind cause I know I'm getting my commission and you're getting great suite.

My point is I think something is fishy with your agent because he/she transferred you to their supervisor rather than taking ownership of the problem and fixing it. Clearly I believe this agent made a mistake or did something on purpose and does not want to take responsibility for their actions . If this is the case your agent owes you a new flight, hotels, cruise and any shore excursions booked be it they are non-refundable etc.

Please keep calling Royal Caribbean and ask to escalate this problem and to unblock a cabin#.

BTW you should use the suite line it's not your fault you are not booked in a room. A suite guarantee is just that they are able to assign it up until the day before the cruise and very rarely at checkin.

When I booked my cruise I got an assignment within 2 weeks after booking.

Please keep us informed.

This is very, very good advice. OP, please heed it.

You do realize that is rather common this close to sail date on ALL bookings right?

Is this what you are using to base your oversold theory on?

Why are you doing your best to stress the OP out even moreso than they already are?

I'm basing my theory on a number of facts as presented by the OP. I'm not trying to stress her out, just making sure she realizes that something doesn't smell right on this one--particularly the TA sending her up the food chain instead of taking care of it himself.

I would recommend getting to the pier as close to the start of check in time as possible. The earlier you're there, the more likely you are to get a cabin assignment (kind of like airline check ins). They are more likely to put the person actually there on the boat than someone who hasn't shown up yet and risk a no-show and having the cabin sit empty.

There is an old children's story about Chicken Little who ran around saying the sky is falling with such authority that other animals believed him.

No TA has the power, or should, to force a cruiseline to assign a cabin until they are ready. Saying the TA is lazy is just rude. OP stated he was on the phone with the TA and RCI, so obviously his agent is trying to resolve the problem. The fact is that he booked a guarantee. Cabin assignment can be made at any time up to and including time of boarding. How does anyone have the nerve to insist it be done before the cruiseline is ready? Good way to make the cruiseline want to do anything for you.

Customer service is seldom what it used to be, but the number of "it's all about me" customers has grown to staggering numbers.

Thanks for a statement with common sense.

Good luck with the cabin assignment!

One thing to keep in mind for future.

If you hate the uncertainty then book what you want and pick the room you want! This way you do not have to stress!

If you want a good deal on a Suite and you choose to save $$ and go the guarantee route then you should understand there is a chance this might happen! No need to blame TA or RCI!

They are doing exactly what you paid for!

Aside from this,

Good luck

For all we know you might end up in a OS or Loft Suite if you are lucky!

Ed

Archived