Musings from a Oceania cheerleader -- just off Azamara Journey

pacheco18

Laraine,

Thanks for the comparison. We have sailed on A once and have a B2B booked for 2014. Glad to hear that the beds have improved; other than that there was not much to complain about on A. Food on O is better but certainly fine on A as well.

BTW - did they have a "free for all" in the laundry as it was free (as some people worry that it may be so)?

Paul

Laraine,

Thanks for the comparison. We have sailed on A once and have a B2B booked for 2014. Glad to hear that the beds have improved; other than that there was not much to complain about on A. Food on O is better but certainly fine on A as well.

BTW - did they have a "free for all" in the laundry as it was free (as some people worry that it may be so)?

Paul

Not all all. In fact, to the contrary. Repeat cruisers (those with several cruises on Azamara) and anyone with Celebrity status are getting free laundry done by the ship (1 or 2 bags each depending on status), making the laundry room even less in demand. For my 12 day cruise, I sent out 2 bags of laundry (mostly because I had a long pre cruise stay) and did 1 small load myself just before disembarking (for my post cruise stay).

Not all all. In fact, to the contrary. Repeat cruisers (those with several cruises on Azamara) and anyone with Celebrity status are getting free laundry done by the ship (1 or 2 bags each depending on status), making the laundry room even less in demand. For my 12 day cruise, I sent out 2 bags of laundry (mostly because I had a long pre cruise stay) and did 1 small load myself just before disembarking (for my post cruise stay).

Thanks. Are the free laundry bags wash & fold, like on O's 20 for $20, or are they "proper" cleaning with ironing of items (shirts, pants)?

Thanks. Are the free laundry bags wash & fold, like on O's 20 for $20, or are they "proper" cleaning with ironing of items (shirts, pants)?

They had one special -- everything you could squeeze into the bag (laundry only) for $30.

The bags are VERY SMALL but we (and others) managed to squeeze a lot of stuff into them LOL

I was struck by the comment about interaction with the officers. I often wonder on O why they are so distant. It seems it is a corporate policy as it is so consistent. I agree you don't want them intruding when it is inappropriate but there is lots of middle ground which they don't appear interested in occupying.

The only rationale I can see is distraction.

They had one special -- everything you could squeeze into the bag (laundry only) for $30.

The bags are VERY SMALL but we (and others) managed to squeeze a lot of stuff into them LOL

I am talking about the perk for elites laundry - not the $30 special.

Do they iron the items like shirts and pants and return them on hangers or just fold them in a bag?

I'm happy that you did enjoy your Azamara cruise after all Laraine.

Perhaps you could post your review on the AZ forum too.....I'm sure people there would like to hear your viewpoint.

As for me.....I like Oceania .....a lot! But I LOVE Azamara. :)

Have done two cruises on Azamara. Last was in 2010 and the mattress was very UNcomfortable. Can you comment on the quality of the bed compared with Oceania?

We have just booked our first cruise on O and are hoping the tranquility beds live up to their name! :)

I don't think you will be disappointed with the O beds! Comfortable beds are very important to us. We have a Tempurpedic at home (best purchase we ever made), but we also love the beds on O. :)

I don't think you will be disappointed with the O beds! Comfortable beds are very important to us. We have a Tempurpedic at home (best purchase we ever made), but we also love the beds on O. :)

Thank you for your comment!:)

Beds are really important for us on a cruise ....Nothing worse than an uncomfortable mattress and a bad night's sleep! We also sleep on a Temperpedic so it is reassuring to know that people who sleep on that type of mattress like the O beds.

I was aware that mattresses were a problem on Azamara in the past. They did change out the mattresses in 2011 or 2012. We sleep on a Tempurpedic at home we have no complaint about the mattress. It was fine. Not sure I can compare to Oceania mattress. The bedding, as I mentioned, is far superior on Oceania.

And thank you for your review and answers to my questions. :)

Thanks, Laraine, for your excellent and informative review. We will be booking our next cruise with A or O, depending on itinerary and pricing. You have confirmed for me that Oceania will fit the bill nicely, if in a somewhat different way. I appreciate the time you took to post your comments.

Nautica has had umbrellas on the Terrace, as Jim n Stan proved by their photograph, but they were not in-situ on our Bangkok to Dubai cruise earlier this year, which meant that many of the tables lining the aft rail were unoccupied on sunny days. This may, of course, have been a glitch while they were being refurbished or replaced ... I didn't ask. However I seem to remember them being in place on our Dover - Rome cruise last year.

We also like Azamara. Quite happy to sail on either of these two excellent lines.

Sounds like you had a nice trip, that's great. A sounds like it would be a nice trip and w e are elite with X so it would work out ok expect the R ships seem too small too me. We see the ship as the destination on a cruise rather than the ports. Went on the Rivera and loved it, have a two week trip coming up. I booked two trips on Crystal as a change, the ships seem quite nice in size and lay out.

Excursions

We did only private tours but azamaraclubcruises excursions are much less expensive than Oceania and you get 25% off if u book in advance. For that reason far fewer Azamara cruisers book private excursions. You could not get me on a big bus at any price. We had a great group of 10 for all of our excursions and the excursions were some of the best I have ever planned.

At every port the officers see u off. Even the captain. And u are greeted with cold towels and drinks upon return. Nice touch

Demographic

Similar to Oceania. We met many who cruise both lines. The guests were neither as well dressed nor as dressed up in the evening as on Oceania. Judging by only this one cruise, I would say O cruisers are more fashionable

On board activities

More and more varied even on port days. There was trivia but no cut throat trivia LOL.

The significant difference

I now understand why Cindilouwho and other Azamara cruisers feel that Oceania is more impersonal. It is. And I figured out why. First, the officers are EVERYWHERE. I chatted with most of them repeatedly throughout the cruise. The Captain came to the future cruise presentation and spoke about his favorite itineraries. It was all very natural -- not contrived. Second, the staff on the two Azamara ships DO NOT ROTATE. When you board Journey, e.g., you will see the same folks over and over. And because they do not rotate, they staff is really cohesive and like a family. It is palpable. It felt like more than just great service – it felt like everyone took joy in making you part of the family on board. That does not make the service better on Azamara – it makes it different.

Laraine, thanks so much for your very thorough and objective review. I add a few thoughts, mostly regarding experiences in which you did not participate.

All the beds were replaced last fall; they started during our Quest cruise last October, but they did not get to our deck before we disembarked, so I look forward to more bed comfort when we sail two weeks from today!

I never have taken an Oceania excursion but we did a couple with Azamara due to the location of some of our Sicily ports and times in port, and I thought they were very well organized and enjoyable. We prefer DIY or private tours and only signed up for one ship's excursion for our upcoming cruise for our day in Albania. (Guess why!)

The demographic on our cruise also was the same as Oceania's but you are on target about the dress in the evenings being different significantly. I am not the dress code police and certainly no fashion plate personally, but I was amazed (and dismayed) at some of the clothing worn by men in particular in both the main dining room and the specialty restaurants. We enjoyed the non-steak specialty restaurant a great deal, but felt the steak house was vastly inferior to Polo both food-wise and decor-wise.

I actually enjoyed the trivia much more on Quest because of the location in the Mosaics Cafe, where I enjoyed the various coffees and conversations, and also because it truly was not cut-throat, but simply a lot of fun with intriguing questions. I am on vacation and not interested in participating in battles to the death over what is called trivia!:)

Edited by CintiPam

I have found this thread very revealing. We have just booked a cruise in 2014 on the Azamara Journey. It was because of the itinerary. We cruise a lot, but so far on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. Once on Crystal, but too big, small cabins, fixed dining, but excellent food.

We are wondering after reading this thread that maybe we have made a mistake.

1. Are the bathrooms small in the suites on deck 8?

2. Is the food in the main restaurant so mediocre that we should only dine in the speciality restaurants.

3. What are the advance book able excursions like. Thay seem expensive to us compared with other lines. We prefer to wait and book onboard, but resent getting 25% reduction if we book in advance.

4. Presumably the free laundry is do it yourself. What are the queues like?

5. How do wifi charges compare. On Regent and Seabourn we now get it free.

6. Do they have my favourite tipple, J and B scotch, included in the gratuitous drinks.

7. What's the gratuitous wine like? Plonk or drinkable?

Edited by eliana

I have found this thread very revealing. We have just booked a cruise in 2014 on the Azamara Journey. It was because of the itinerary. We cruise a lot, but so far on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. Once on Crystal, but too big, small cabins, fixed dining, but excellent food.

We are wondering after reading this thread that maybe we have made amistake.

1. Are the bathrooms small in the suites on deck 8?

2. Is the food in the main restaurant so mediocre that we should only dine in the speciality restaurants.

3. What are the advance book able excursions like. Thay seem expensive to us compared with other lines. We prefer to wait and book onboard, but resent getting 25% reduction if we book in advance.

4. Presumably the free laundry is do it yourself. What are the queues like?

5. How do wifi charges compare. On Regent and Seabourn we now get it free.

6. Do they have my favourite tipple, J and B scotch, included in the gratuitous drinks.

7. What's the gratuitous wine like? Plonk or drinkable?

why not post your questions on the Azamara board???

Hi Laraine;

Having sailed with both lines we share most of your impressions and absolutely agree with your comments - for us Azamara wins HANDS DOWN as a better value for money than Oceania. We sailed the Black Sea on the Quest 3 years ago but unfortunately have not found an intinerary that works for us since. We were on Nautica last summer in the Baltic, and are sailing on our second Oceania cruise later this year - Easter Island - but only because of the itinerary.

Yolanda

Hi Laraine;

Having sailed with both lines we share most of your impressions and absolutely agree with your comments - for us Azamara wins HANDS DOWN as a better value for money than Oceania. We sailed the Black Sea on the Quest 3 years ago but unfortunately have not found an intinerary that works for us since. We were on Nautica last summer in the Baltic, and are sailing on our second Oceania cruise later this year - Easter Island - but only because of the itinerary.

Yolanda

I really have not done a price comparison. When the 2015 Azamara itineraries come out this month I might give it a try -- just out of curiosity. LIke you, it is itinerary that matters most for us (really for me since I do all the planning and Bob comes along whether he likes the itinerary or not!!) LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

Laraine, great review and very thorough, as usual! We are also Elite on Celebrity so we might consider an Azamara cruise but Oceania and the R ships in particular are so great (except for the officer/staff interaction, and you can make that work if you want) that I'd have to really think very hard about it! Thanks for taking the time!