Canceling gratuity

Thebes

Has anyone here ever asked what a housekeeper working in a hotel makes for cleaning guests' rooms, day after day?

Anyone ever asked what the wait staff in Applebee's or Outback or whatever restaurant earns?

Why would so many repeatedly ask what a dining or cabin steward on a cruise ship earns? :confused: For all the years I have come to CC and other forums, I have tried to understand the never ending inquisitiveness about it and I continue to fail. What is so interesting about a steward's pay over a hotel housekeeper/maid?

Then there's the tired ole spiel. "I wish it was built into the cruise price".

Easy peasy... if your cruise is $800.00 for 7 days then figure service charge is $84 for 7 days

Pay $800 for the cruise. Then buy $100 shipboard credit and you'll have $16 worth of wiggle room to buy a couple of sodas.

Now it's built into your cruise price. $900 gets you a 7 day cruise, 7 nights worth of Hotel Service Charges and a couple of sodas.

What's the next dilemma?.. I'm here to help.

Easy peasy... if your cruise is $800.00 for 7 days then figure service charge is $84 for 7 days

Pay $800 for the cruise. Then buy $100 shipboard credit and you'll have $16 worth of wiggle room to buy a couple of sodas.

Now it's built into your cruise price. $900 gets you a 7 day cruise, 7 nights worth of Hotel Service Charges and a couple of sodas.

LOL..........:D Sounds like a plan. :)

Best response by far....:)

We're now into 14 pages - and even have a wikipedia on tipping - it's gone beyond ridiculous. Considering CC makes up maybe 1% of cruisers, most of you are preaching to to the choir - you're not going to reach anyone else, so it just turns into in-fighting and the same old same old.

Great post:):):)

I believe a "Resort Fee" is different at a land based hotel. We had week stay at a resort in Puerto Rico that had a resort fee. We had several issues that came up as the week went on and spoke with the manager about a few of the more major issues. He offered and did remove the resort fee from our bill, along with treating us to dinner one night. Their fee was not divided up between the staff like the HSC. Their resort fee goes to the hotel not the employees.

People are always whining about the language in the cruise documents.

Hey Hal hire a lawyer and bash out a quick

"No Tip, No Set Foot On The Ship"

Whoever dreamed up the ability to have it removed should be fired!

Just "NO TIP - NO SHIP" would work for me! I agree, it should never have been made an option, but a requirement.......the lawyers better get right on it.......:)

I believe a "Resort Fee" is different at a land based hotel. We had week stay at a resort in Puerto Rico that had a resort fee. We had several issues that came up as the week went on and spoke with the manager about a few of the more major issues. He offered and did remove the resort fee from our bill, along with treating us to dinner one night. Their fee was not divided up between the staff like the HSC. Their resort fee goes to the hotel not the employees.

We stopped at a resort overnight while driving to Florida once and asked about the resort fee on our bill. We were told it was to cover the shuttle bus that went around the resort. Since we were only stopping overnight and neither used the shuttle nor knew about it, my husband insisted the resort fee be removed and it was.

We do tip bar staff at the end of a cruise if they have looked after us over and above what we expect as standard.

So 18% in NY is too much but paying over and above the 15% that all beverage services onboard automatically add is OK? :confused:

Oops, maybe you weren't aware that they add 15% to all drinks! :eek:

Where did they add 18% in NY? That usually only happens with groups of 6 or more and it is stated on the menus that it will be added.

Just returned from a two week alaska on Statendam. Absolutely and completely removed the daily hotel charge that the ship posted to our account for each of us. Have people forgotten what tipping is for? To me it has always represented appreciation for service received over and above what is normally expected. The cruise line has made this charge mandatory so that they can pass their obligation to pay their employees what they feel is reasonable. I will not be bullying into paying something that the cruise line should buck up.

So... you are quite willing to take advantage of a cheaper cruise (by excluding yourself from the Hotel Service Fee) and thereby punishing the workers while the "rich" cruise lines are still getting all their money (i.e. the fare you paid). :rolleyes:

We're now into 14 pages - and even have a wikipedia on tipping - it's gone beyond ridiculous. Considering CC makes up maybe 1% of cruisers, most of you are preaching to to the choir - you're not going to reach anyone else, so it just turns into in-fighting and the same old same old.

There's pages and pages of posts to read. You are more than welcome to skip this one. I'd keep away from the wine policy thread (that's 57 pages and growing)

Just a heads up

So 18% in NY is too much but paying over and above the 15% that all beverage services onboard automatically add is OK? :confused:

Oops, maybe you weren't aware that they add 15% to all drinks! :eek:

Where did they add 18% in NY? That usually only happens with groups of 6 or more and it is stated on the menus that it will be added.

Hi.

The 15% is what we call standard service. If somebody looks after us above what we expect we tip them at the end of the cruise.

Yes it did say 18% on the menu, so we paid it but we thought it was high.

As I have said before all I was doing in my post was trying to explain the different mindset we or rather myself have in the UK.

I somehow now feel a skinflint that is not worthy to be cruising with HAl.

I agree I am wrong to refer to the service charge as tips, and from today I will pay the damn thing with a smile.

Happy cruising.....

If Hal would amend this policy

No tip.. Means you don't even get on the ship.

Since there could be circumstances that would warrant reduction or removal, I suggest it should just be made much more difficult to do than just stopping by the front desk and signing a form. Require a sit-down meeting with a manager of the appropriate alleged inadequate service area - at a time inconvenient to the passenger - and see how many still want to do it! ;)

We stopped at a resort overnight while driving to Florida once and asked about the resort fee on our bill. We were told it was to cover the shuttle bus that went around the resort. Since we were only stopping overnight and neither used the shuttle nor knew about it, my husband insisted the resort fee be removed and it was.

Well doing that is tatamount to removing the ship charge because you didn't eat in the MDR or use the spa. How do you pick and choose?

I think I would like to have it included in the cruise fare, as it is not a tip, it is a service charge. Or you could have it listed with the cruise fare for instance

cruise $1,000

service charge $84.00

port charge ?

etc. etc.

That is more upfront. My husband and I did not read all the info on our first cruise and were surprised when we got our bill. Our fault of course but we still went ahead and tipped extra to our stewards and MDR staff. Now I know and add it into my expenses.

Since there could be circumstances that would warrant reduction or removal, I suggest it should just be made much more difficult to do than just stopping by the front desk and signing a form. Require a sit-down meeting with a manager of the appropriate alleged inadequate service area - at a time inconvenient to the passenger - and see how many still want to do it! ;)

Great idea......and make it a good grilling, with plenty of forms to fill out.

Well doing that is tatamount to removing the ship charge because you didn't eat in the MDR or use the spa. How do you pick and choose?

I think I would like to have it included in the cruise fare, as it is not a tip, it is a service charge. Or you could have it listed with the cruise fare for instance

cruise $1,000

service charge $84.00

port charge ?

etc. etc.

That is more upfront. My husband and I did not read all the info on our first cruise and were surprised when we got our bill. Our fault of course but we still went ahead and tipped extra to our stewards and MDR staff. Now I know and add it into my expenses.

You have to compare apples to apples. The service fee was for a shuttle around the complex not for service people. That's just not comparable.

Archived