Great Cruise on Ecstasy but...

caseymorgan

…you can’t get there from here.

Let me back up a bit. We just got off the Ecstasy and had a great trip. Good food, nice employees, no complaints. Getting on and off the ship was very easy (we didn’t need First to the Fun). The passengers were not rude, and no one dressed too trashy or complained about anything. Nassau was fine, and Half Moon Cay is even prettier then I remembered. Carnival has retrofitted this ship with a few balconies (which we opted for) and otherwise updated it as best as they can with flat screens, etc. At all the ports, including anchored at HMC, the ship lists pretty drastically to the left. Odd.

Here’s the real issue. The Fantasy class ships have numerous dead ends. You really have to plan your route and walk to the correct elevator/stairs. You’ll have fun and they are great for 3-4 day cruises. But it might be time to begin phasing out fantasy class.

Let me back up a bit. We just got off the Ecstasy and had a great trip. Good food, nice employees, no complaints. Getting on and off the ship was very easy (we didn’t need First to the Fun). The passengers were not rude, and no one dressed too trashy or complained about anything. Nassau was fine, and Half Moon Cay is even prettier then I remembered. Carnival has retrofitted this ship with a few balconies (which we opted for) and otherwise updated it as best as they can with flat screens, etc. At all the ports, including anchored at HMC, the ship lists pretty drastically to the left. Odd.

Here’s the real issue. The Fantasy class ships have numerous dead ends. You really have to plan your route and walk to the correct elevator/stairs. You’ll have fun and they are great for 3-4 day cruises. But it might be time to begin phasing out fantasy class.

The Fantasy class ships are the workhorses for Carnival and have been for a long time, doubt they'll be going away any time soon. We have been on several and I guess just know the layout so don't run into dead ends. Now the Splendor, that's a completely different story, talk about dead ends!

We love the Fantasy class ships!:D

NOOOOO!!! cant get rid of the fantasy class ships!! I love them!

I'm with you. Obviously I love the fantasy class ships, they're the only ones I've been on:p! I could see where they could stand some updating. But the fantasy class has the most ships and a solid revenue base between first time cruisers and past guests who prefer them. I don't see them going anywhere.

I love them, too. Yes, the galley blocks one deck, but it does on the larger ships, too (except Spirit class, my true favorites). I don't know about any other "dead end" on that class ship.

It really isn't that difficult to navigate. And with the maps there next to the elevators, it isn't THAT difficult to find your way around.

But, yeah, I've now spent 38 nights on Fantasy, 10 on Fascination and 5 on Elation, so I could navigate them blindfolded!

The Glory definitely has the worst layout I've seen so far, lol.

I didn't think Glory was any worse than the Fantasy-class ships. All anyone has to do is look at the deck plans. The galley is well marked. I hope people don't think they should be able to stroll through the kitchen! :p

Actually found a sort of cut-through on Glory that led down and to the lounge just forward of the aft dining room.

Sailing Conquest in about 2 months. We'll see how "lost" I am for the first couple of days. :o

I didn't think Glory was any worse than the Fantasy-class ships. All anyone has to do is look at the deck plans. The galley is well marked. I hope people don't think they should be able to stroll through the kitchen! :p

Actually found a sort of cut-through on Glory that led down and to the lounge just forward of the aft dining room.

Sailing Conquest in about 2 months. We'll see how "lost" I am for the first couple of days. :o

I'm good now, lol...the first time was a little confusing. :p

Totally agree with you on the dead ends and the ship listing to one side. My husband noticed it immediately and thought it may be do to supplies not being distributed evenly but it was a little disturbing.

Loved the ship, crew and food though as well as HMC. We had a GS with extended balcony and loved the room. Maybe we came cross the dead ends more often because of our room location. The Upper deck.

Totally agree with you on the dead ends and the ship listing to one side. My husband noticed it immediately and thought it may be do to supplies not being distributed evenly but it was a little disturbing.

Loved the ship, crew and food though as well as HMC. We had a GS with extended balcony and loved the room. Maybe we came cross the dead ends more often because of our room location. The Upper deck.

We had a GS in the upper deck in August but I do not recall dead ends, not even my nephew had problem, which is 13 and doesn't speak English, and still the next day knew the ship like he was there forever lol! The rest of us just looking at the maps by the lifts or ...following him :D

I have never been on a cruise ship that I didn't love. I would rather be wondering around on a cruise ship, running into dead ends, anyday over being at work... Lord knows the extra walking didn't hurt me...

Agreed! It's why I like the Fantasy class. I found the whole "walking through a hallway that dead-ends into a wall" thing to be kind of fun. It's something that clearly sets cruise ships apart from hotels. I must have spent hours wandering around looking for specific rooms on my first cruise. I eventually learned to use the main promenade on deck 9 as a way of traversing the length of the ship, and only go to deck 8 to watch shows and eat meals. That, and look at cabin numbers to determine where I am on the ship. On my second cruise (different ship, same class), I was navigating the ship like a pro. :D

• 1 month later...

I am looking to book two balcony cabins side by side on the Ecstasy - do the dividers open? If so how do I figure out which ones can or can't be opened??? (I know we have to 'both' go to purser's desk to ask to have this done upon boarding!)

Thanks!

Archived