Travel Insurance, worth it?

Seaworthy01

I always make sure to purchase insurance because the one time we did not I ended up needing emergency surgery the morning I was supposed to leave on a trip. We didn't lose everything but it cost us quite a bit of money. I haven't needed to make a claim any other reason but am thankful for the piece of mind.

Since that trip I also have another reason to purchase insurance; my insurance changed and I have no coverage outside the US. So even if it is a short trip that doesn't cost a whole lot I get the extra medical insurance. I always recommend people check their coverage limitations (if any) while on a trip to be sure they have medical coverage. For that reason alone the insurance can be worth buying.

Wow--how terrible! I hope you made a full recovery!

Well, it came back almost all the way. I can do everything I could before. My foot ended up a little skewed, pointing a tad to the left. But, it doesn't affect anything. I feel it everyday, though - a little reminder of my vacation 5 years ago...

I never thought much of travel insurance until I became divorced and owning a home on my own. But, now, there is no way I'll go without it when I travel out of the country!!!!

I chose to go ahead and purchase the insurance, if not for anything then piece of mind. I am going with Berkeley travel insurance, Royal Caribbean suggested them, that is who they use for coverage. I am familiar with the company and they have a great reputation and the cost of coverage blows all others out of the water.

Travel Insurance is worth every cent you pay for it - when you need it. DH's recent (and totally unexpected) illness at the end of a cruise meant he was in hospital in Canada for 11 days, during which time he had several very expensive procedures. I had to stay in 3 different hotels, then we both had to stay in Vancouver for 9 more days, for him to have repeat follow-up checks. We had to book business class seats - at short notice - to fly home.

At one time, there was even talk of evacuation all the way from Canada to New Zealand by air ambulance. Fortunately, that did not happen, because the cost would have been crippling.

The travel insurance paid DH's hospital costs direct, but we calculated they would have amounted to over $50,000. Our additional claim for the expenses we had to pay up front was almost $30,000. Insurance reimbursed us for this.

OP: How risk-adverse are you? Without travel insurance, DH's illness would have cost us at least $80,000. That's not the sort of money we would like to risk by not taking out travel insurance.

also - be sure and purchase within 14 days of making your trip deposit if possible - i believe that eliminates the issue with pre-exsisting conditions?

Certainly not in the UK, but I don't know about the US. I have several pre-existing conditions which I have to notify to the insurer (and pay extra for), otherwise the whole policy would be void.

Just called personal heath plan company, we are covered on the ship, evacuation due to medical reasons and covered for any issues that may occur while in Bermuda. So why should I purchase extra insurance?

My employeer provided medical insurance also covers me outside of the US.

However, I called and asked specific questions.

1) Will I be covered for evacuation off the ship for medical reasons? Yes, to the nearest facility that is able to treat my condition and stabilize the condition.

1a) Followup. Once stabilized but still not ambulatory, does the insurance cover transportation back to a hospital closer to home for continued followup care? NO

2. If medical facility requires up front payment prior to beginning of treatment, will you pay up front or provide documentation of ability to pay? NO

3. How will my claims be treated as far as reimbursement. Out of Network. So basically only about 50%.

4. Should I happen to pass away, does my current insurance cover repatriation of my remains? No

With all of this information, I still purchase travel insurance with medical coverage.

Just called personal heath plan company, we are covered on the ship, evacuation due to medical reasons and covered for any issues that may occur while in Bermuda. So why should I purchase extra insurance?

You must have a pretty good health plan if they will pay $30k to $50k for a medical evacuation back to the states.

While others have eloquently addressed the medical issues, I'll also just remind you to ask:

-Can I afford to lose what I paid for the cruise along with related expenses (e.g., any pre-paid hotel) and how happy would I be with that?

If you are flying in, there are a host of other considerations (lost luggage, flight delays resulting in missing cruise, etc.).

We used to dismiss travel insurance for cruises in our 20s when we had less money. It was dumb, admittedly. Now, in our 30s, we can afford the insurance more than we can afford to be out all that money if something were to happen.

For money that's already spent, ie. cost of holiday and cost of luggage, you can (if you wish) do without insurance. If things go wrong, you've lost the cash, that's your risk - I wouldn't take the risk, others would. But you know what your maximum risk is.

For other stuff, principally medical insurance, but also possibly legal expenses and liability insurance, you're insuring against expenses yet to come. Carrying your own risk on that would be reckless - one accident or illness could bankrupt you. I'd say medical insurance is essential.

We cruised a good thirty times without ever thinking about insurance.

We finally ended up buying insurance for our February 2013 cruise for the first time just because it was so crazy cheap, and that is the first cruise we have ever had to cancel.

We had actually flown to the port prior to the cruise and I got sick while I was there. We waited a couple of days after the ship left for me to feel well enough to fly home. When we got home, I discovered that I had pneumonia.

Since then we have always purchased insurance for our cruises, especially the longer ones that leave from or go to distant foreign ports.

We get so soon old and so late smart. ;)

What are your experiences Good/Bad with travel insurance? Is it worth it?

Medical and evacuation back to the United States - definitely yes without question. Anything else - if you ask 10 people, you will get 12 answers. We only carry medical and evacuation.

DON

Archived