Tux or not

ScottC4746

We sailed Alaska in May on the Oosterdam and there were very few tuxes. Alaska is a bit less formal than the Caribbean probably because of packing issues. As long as you have a coat and tie you'll fit in, so bring whatever will make you happy.

(And keep in mind that some cruisers will be in jeans and dining in the Lido, so that's also an option.)

As others have said, there will be few tuxes.

However, it is formal night, and if you want to wear a tux, definitely do so! There are few opportunities to get really dressed up like that these days, so I would say 'go for it' if you want.

Sad to say but the Tux is dead. We have been cruising for 27 years and have noticed a noticable decline that now results in very few tuxes being worn. The straw that broke the camels back was the limit of 50 lbs per bag, by the airline and extra bag fees. People just pack lighter. We enjoyed formal nights. I own two tuxes and a dinner jacket, all may be soon going to Good Will. I now just bring a dark suit, for formal nights and a sports coat for the Pinnacle.

I think its just as easy to pack a Tux as a suit, I almost never wear either unless I am on a cruise

Agree. A tux actually reduces choices- only one shirt, one jacket, one pants. Not multiples, generally.

Agree with you...DH's Tux does not wrinkle as much as his suit does & he looks very handsome in a Tux.. We take two formal shirts & have each laundered in between..

However, on our Alaska cruise DH did not take his TUX as we were told by CC posters that a Tux sticks out like a sore thumb..Also noticed on our Bermuda cruise that DH was in the minority with his Tux..

On our Prinsendam South America/Antarctic cruise probably 60% -70% of the men wore a Tux including DH..We're taking a 3 week Caribbean cruise on the Ryndam out of Tampa in Nov., & expect to have six formal nights including Thanksgiving.. I placed his Suit, his Tux as well as a Sport Jacket for the Pinnacle on his clothing list..

Now I'm desperately trying to pare down my clothing list, but it's so hard to do, as I always take too much..Fortunately we drive to the port. ;)Decisions! Decisions.!

Cheers:) Betty

Agree with you...DH's Tux does not wrinkle as much as his suit does & he looks very handsome in a Tux.. We take two formal shirts & have each laundered in between..

However, on our Alaska cruise DH did not take his TUX as we were told by CC posters that a Tux sticks out like a sore thumb..Also noticed on our Bermuda cruise that DH was in the minority with his Tux..

On our Prinsendam South America/Antarctic cruise probably 60% -70% of the men wore a Tux including DH..We're taking a 3 week Caribbean cruise on the Ryndam out of Tampa in Nov., & expect to have six formal nights including Thanksgiving.. I placed his Suit, his Tux as well as a Sport Jacket for the Pinnacle on his clothing list..

Now I'm desperately trying to pare down my clothing list, but it's so hard to do, as I always take too much..Fortunately we drive to the port. ;)Decisions! Decisions.!

Cheers:) Betty

If that is a Collectors Cruise made up of a 14 and a 7 day cruise -- doubt if you will see very many tuxedos. We did that cruise in 2010 -- and there were very few people dressed up.

We left our tuxedos at home when we went to Alaska last year. They take up more room than a suit or sports coat because we'd have to bring extra shoes with them, whereas I can wear my brown Timberlands with a suit or sports coat. Very few men wore them.

If you wear a tux on a HAL Alaskan cruise, you will stick out like a sore thumb and constantly be aware in your mind that you overdressed.

Translation: You will look smashing, and put the other men to shame. ;)

I am reading mixed things on the boards that most people wear dark suits on formal nights.

For June Alaska cruise inside passage 7 nights, what percent would you say wear tuxes?

Just sayin': As most people have posted the % of men wearing tuxedos on formal night is very low. And it isn't just the men, the % of women that wear (what I would call an actual formal gown/dress) is very low too.

If you wear a tux on a HAL Alaskan cruise, you will stick out like a sore thumb and constantly be aware in your mind that you overdressed. I know this from personal experience based on two recent HAL cruises.

Ruth - Your comment reminded me of something I've previously posted. My DH (who will be the last man standing in his tux) gets more "you look nice tonight" comments from men than he does from the ladies on formal evenings. I often wonder if the men are thinking "dear wife, you told me I didn't have to dress up on formal tonight." :D

Ruth - Your comment reminded me of something I've previously posted. My DH (who will be the last man standing in his tux) gets more "you look nice tonight" comments from men than he does from the ladies on formal evenings. I often wonder if the men are thinking "dear wife, you told me I didn't have to dress up on formal tonight." :D

It was decades ago, and my husband & I had started cruising annually. He wore nice suits, but felt out of place on an Alaska cruise, as all the other men wore a tux/dinner jacket.

One day he came home with a tux, dinner jacket, and all the accessories draped over his arm. I was totally surprised. :)

He looked so good, and the portraits I have of us make me smile to this day.

If that is a Collectors Cruise made up of a 14 and a 7 day cruise -- doubt if you will see very many tuxedos. We did that cruise in 2010 -- and there were very few people dressed up.

Thanks KK..Yes it is a collectors cruise..DH decided to purchase a dark suit several years ago at Dillards.. Only Dept store here where we could get a good fit as he is all legs & arms..When I asked the Salesman if it was wool he said "yes it was"..It was an expensive suit but it wrinkles terribly.. I thought that wool did not wrinkle..DH's Tux never wrinkles if I put it in the plastic cleaner bags..

Guess we'll have to rethink both the Tux & Suit even though I'm still going to wear my formal clothes..

Thanks again..Cheers..Betty

I'm still go

LIKE!!

Once again we have a thread for people who care more about what others think about what they wear to dinner rather than dressing to please themselves and/or their significant other.

I rarely get to "dress" for dinner at home and will, once again, be wearing a tux for the formal nights on our next cruise. I will not count how many others I see. I will simply enjoy myself as I sit across from the same lady I have for almost 45 years. (Oh, and any looks I may get.):):)

Flame away if you so choose.

I travel with three formal tuxedo jackets along with half a dozen cummerbund and tie combinations. But I have to admit that I only saw a few other tuxedos on our recent Alaska cruises. About half the men had dark suits while the other half wore sport jackets.

But then I wear a jacket and an open, button down collar shirt to dinner every night. Both Karen and I enjoy dressing for dinner. It makes us feel good.

Although I never mention anything, I have found that after a week or so on the longer cruises, several other tablemates start dressing for dinner. It seems to make the dining experience just a bit more refined.

Scott & Karen

Archived