help! carnival changed my boat!

mybis1

I have never had this happen.... i was booked on a boat for a cruise in 2014. I just looked and realized that carnival changed my ship! I purposely booked on the new ship and now they have moved the boat to a different port. I booked for the boat, not the destinations. Can they do that without notifying me? Can i change my it... i want that boat but now cruise is more $. Anyine ever had this happen?

Without more details, a little hard to help you. So more details would be helpful.

Yes, they have the authority and ability to do that.

By the way, its a ship, not a boat. A boat is a small vessel, typically used on small bodies of water, like lakes.

Without more details, a little hard to help you. So more details would be helpful.

Yes, they have the authority and ability to do that.

By the way, its a ship, not a boat. A boat is a small vessel, typically used on small bodies of water, like lakes.

All these years everyone has been calling that old show on ABC the Love Boat. Should have been the Love Ship. :)

I have never had this happen.... i was booked on a boat for a cruise in 2014. I just looked and realized that carnival changed my ship! I purposely booked on the new ship and now they have moved the boat to a different port. I booked for the boat, not the destinations. Can they do that without notifying me? Can i change my it... i want that boat but now cruise is more $. Anyine ever had this happen?

You might actually get more helpful responses over on the Carnival board. :cool:

Personally, I've never heard of this happening, but we're pretty exclusive RCCL cruisers.

If you used a TA, there is a chance TA was advised of the change but they neglected to inform you.

I expect you could cancel your cruise and get a full refund if you wish.

I would not like that being done without our approval.

We choose our cruises often for the ship as much as the itinerary, particularly in the Caribbean.

Yes, it happens. They did it to us. We booked almost 2 years out, and in that time, they changed the ship, as well as added 2 days to the cruise, as part of their schedule changes. We also got upgraded to a nicer pair of rooms than we were in before.

I can't complain about any of those changes, but If I had needed to, I could have cancelled the cruise and got all my money back.

I've heard of a ship's itinerary being switched, so I suppose it would make sense for a line to switch ships for a given itinerary - although it would seem less likely. It would be annoying for someone who had picked that particular ship, and I cannot imagine the line not giving a full refund in such a case.

First, we should gently explain that you will not be booked on a "boat" but rather a "ship." Those funny looking vessels you see hanging off the ship are called life"boats." Or as a sea captain once said to me, a "boat" sits upon a "ship." As to your reservation change, if you booked a specific ship (and have this booking in writing) I do not believe that the terms or booking allow Carnival to change your ship without your permission. As others have said, if you worked through a TA they were probably notified and agreed to the change. However, you should certainly have the right to cancel and get a 100% refund. We are aware of cruise lines asking booked passengers to change to different ship and/or itineraries....but there is usually the offer of a nice inducement such as a big discount or On Board Credit.

Hank

.. We are aware of cruise lines asking booked passengers to change to different ship and/or itineraries....but there is usually the offer of a nice inducement such as a big discount or On Board Credit.

Hank

It depends on when they make the change and what the reason is. normally changes made more than 6 months out get very little if anything. When they make a last minute change or its because of over booking they do much more. But changes made 6 months or more rarely get anything more than a $50 credit. Remember this is a new cruiser who probably hasn't been posting much and reading this like you do...(not a criticism)..

As Hlitner noted, boats are (or are at least capable of being) carried aboard ships - with the notable exception of submarines which, once designated as torpedo boats, somehow retained that improbable nomenclature.

The Windstar masted vessels are technically "boats" as they aren't large enough to be classified as ships. Technically they are registered as MSY's. I'd love to see one of them being "carried" on a ship.

Methinks people are making too big of a deal out of the difference in nomenclature here.

I always get annoyed by people using the terms "jail" and "prison" interchangeably, but after I read up on the terminology I realized the difference is not as clearcut as I thought it was. That could apply here as well.

Was this perchance the Dream being substituted for the Sunshine out of New Orleans? I saw that the Sunshine will only be in New Orlean for a season and then the Dream takes over. I'm personally excited to get the Dream, but yeah I'm pretty upset that the Sunshine is only going to be around for a few short months. I was really looking on sailing on her next fall, guess we'll have to check out the Dream instead.

Methinks people are making too big of a deal out of the difference in nomenclature here.

Methinks not.

If names, titles, and nomenclatures were not important, I guess I could call my wife the B word, C word, or maybe even call her by a former girlfriends name. :eek:

:D

Methinks that would NOT be one of my best ideas.

The Windstar masted vessels are technically "boats" as they aren't large enough to be classified as ships. Technically they are registered as MSY's. I'd love to see one of them being "carried" on a ship.

On the contrary, if you go to Windstar's own site you will see them refer to their vessels as "small cruise ships". They also refer to them as "yachts" - but that term does not mean "boat" -- witness Aristotle Onassis' yacht "Christina", which was a converted small warship. If someone like Donald Trump were to purchase a surplus aircraft carrier and use it as a personal recreational vessel, it would be a yacht, but would not become a boat.

On the contrary, if you go to Windstar's own site you will see them refer to their vessels as "small cruise ships". They also refer to them as "yachts" - but that term does not mean "boat" -- witness Aristotle Onassis' yacht "Christina", which was a converted small warship. If someone like Donald Trump were to purchase a surplus aircraft carrier and use it as a personal recreational vessel, it would be a yacht, but would not become a boat.

Not according to the master of the vessel. I'm going to take his word for it over what some marketing person penned.

Archived