Transatlantic cruise

englishgal

we are going on a transatlantic cruise from Florida to Southampton England in April 2014 and would appreciate it if anyone who has done this cruise before to advice us as to the weather and type of clothes needed for daywear and shore visits. We have never done this cruise before and are very much looking forward to it.

Thanks

we are going on a transatlantic cruise from Florida to Southampton England in April 2014 and would appreciate it if anyone who has done this cruise before to advice us as to the weather and type of clothes needed for daywear and shore visits. We have never done this cruise before and are very much looking forward to it.

Thanks

We've done that cruise twice....it starts out warm and gets cooler as you get farther north. There's no way to predict the weather. Fundamentally, you just need to dress in layers, have some rain gear for possible damp ports and some nicer clothes for "formal nights".

BTW, on both of our cruises, you could have canoed next to our ship the whole way...it was that smooth.

We have twice done TAs from Florida to Southhampton. For both the weather was beautiful and hot the first few days, with temps cooling as we went across.

On the last TA - this past spring - we had a couple of cloudy/moderately rough days in the middle of the ocean. The last few days were beautiful and sunny, but cool (50ish during the day). There were still people sunbathing on the deck the last day when it was about 48 degrees!

The previous TA the weather was really cold (seas were rough, too). When we were in port in La Rochelle it was snowing in Paris.

My point is that there is no way to accurately forecast the weather - even the week before you leave. So pack with layers so you can be prepared for everything from swimsuits to very chilly at night.

We did a TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Harwich in May 1-13. The weather was sunny and warm until we hit the Azores. You could lay out at the pool just fine.

After the Azores, it was too chilly to use the outdoor pool. Temps the last days before Cherbourg were highs of about 60. That is about what the temps were for the following BI cruise.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the info as I am on the upcoming Eclipse transatlantic in April and have one other question...

My Eclipse Baltic cruise out of Southampton included electric kettles in each cabin. I know they remove them for the Caribbean but wondering if they are restored on transatlantics as we are sailing back to Southampton, and if not automatically in cabin, can they be requested?

Thanks!

Edited by cadburysmom

Thanks for the info as I am on the upcoming Eclipse transatlantic in April and have one other question...

My Eclipse Baltic cruise out of Southampton included electric kettles in each cabin. I know they remove them for the Caribbean but wondering if they are restored on transatlantics as we are sailing back to Southampton, and if not automatically in cabin, can they be requested?

Thanks!

I;ve read elsewhere they aren't placed until arrival to Southampton. I recall it showing in my cabin the last night.

I also read you could NOT request one earlier for some reason. But room service is free and 24 hours.

Most North Atlantic weather forecasts are dynamic hence a moving target. The further in advance the bigger the craps shoot but there are certain North Atlantic weather characteristics and weather patterns that can give you an inkling of what to “Normally” expect – if there is such a thing as normal when it comes to weather forecasting. Two ships leaving Fort Lauderdale for Europe a few days apart can encounter very different weather - See the attached PDF doc for some North Atlantic weather patterns that will influence the weather dependent on how far north or south the crossing route.

North Atlantic Repositioning Trip Weather.pdf

Thanks!

I requested a kettle on our Eclipse Southern Caribbean cruise last March. I was told Americans don't request them and that they were parcelled up in Miami. My answer:

There are 605 Brits on board, don't we count?

A kettle appeared in our room.

IMO there are Health & Safety issues involved here, it is much safer, than carrying cups of coffee down from the OceanView cafe via the lifts!

I also requested a Kettle on our TA on Infinity in Oct. No problem. They hadn't been boxed up.

Edited by upwarduk

Thanks

I've only done one eastbound transatlantic. We were unlucky with the weather and it was cool and rainy for most of the voyage. The issue with eastbounds is that if you get caught in bad weather you can find yourself in it for a while because the weather travels from west to east. By the same token if you get a good patch of weather that can follow you too. As has been said layer up. The Atlantic is at its coolest at that time of year.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Thanks

I havent done this Transatlantic, but I have gone from Galveston to Barcelona twice. Once you are 3 days or so outside of Florida, the weather will get cooler. It can often get very windy and chilly at night. You will want to have a windbreaker to have in case it gets too windy or rains.

For our cruises, it didnt get warm again until we hit the Mediterranean, but since you are going on to England, I am guessing you will probably stay cool for the rest of the trip.

I love Transatlantics, and if you enjoy sea days you will too.

Thanks!

I was on the Eclipse for 4 weeks last fall... a Canaries cruise and then the Westbound Transatlantic. I asked the Guest Relations Manager she was excellent) about getting a kettle and she said they keep some on the ship and you can request them at Guest Relations. Try this when you board the ship.

Thanks

My husband and I did an Eastbound Transatlantic in April of 2012 on the Constellation from Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam. The weather was warm for the first three days and then it turned cool. You wouldn't have been comfortable on the balcony and it became warmer one we got to the Azores and Portugal. When we traveled to Dover and on to Amsterdam it got cooler. The most challenging part was losing six hours on the crossing. A westbound, which we have done twice, is nicer in that you gain the hours.

Most North Atlantic weather forecasts are dynamic hence a moving target. The further in advance the bigger the craps shoot but there are certain North Atlantic weather characteristics and weather patterns that can give you an inkling of what to “Normally” expect – if there is such a thing as normal when it comes to weather forecasting. Two ships leaving Fort Lauderdale for Europe a few days apart can encounter very different weather - See the attached PDF doc for some North Atlantic weather patterns that will influence the weather dependent on how far north or south the crossing route.

Thanks for the PDF file. Very interesting!

I was on the Eclipse for 4 weeks last fall... a Canaries cruise and then the Westbound Transatlantic. I asked the Guest Relations Manager she was excellent) about getting a kettle and she said they keep some on the ship and you can request them at Guest Relations. Try this when you board the ship.
Thanks...great to know and just what I wanted to hear! :)

and thanks to others for their input as well.

Edited by cadburysmom

On one of our trans Atlantics the captain announced that although we were in calm seas, our sister ship 300 miles to the north was having a go in rough water. On another westbound in October on the northerly route, we had perfect weather from Southampton to Bergen, Scotland, the Faroes, Iceland until we finally had one miserable day in Sydney, NS. There's just no telling. Personally, I like a few rough days just to have the feel of being on the ocean, rather than a pond