Running into people you know on a Cruise Ship

CrusieToy

My story is out of Baltimore also. It was on my very first cruise. It was only about 7 months after our mother had passed away. I was traveling with some of my siblings and cousins. On the second day of the cruise we ran into one of our favorite nurses that cared for our mom in the nursing home. It was great seeing her. We meet tward the end of the cruise and took some pictures togather. They are some of my favorite photo's from the trip and what an great surprise.:D

On our honeymoon cruise, we did now know at the time, we were cruising with one of my wifes coworkers. She did not know her that well at the time of cruise, but they have since talked and figured it out, and become good friends.

On another cruise ran into a couple we knew from our large "group" of Season ticket holders for a minor league hockey team.

OK This is kinda the same thing but in reverse.
On our family cruise in November of 2003 on the Carnival Triumph my wife ( at the time now my ex) was "coerced" into playing in the Survivor game (see attached pictures) well she doesn't swim and some of the events were in the pool! But our Assistant CD Kevin Noonan said it would be no problem. Well it was and despite her "floundering" she finished in second place!

Well fast forward to a high school basketball game in a small town outside of Des Moines, Iowa with a team from another town Johnston, IA. My wife was in the restroom at halftime when a lady who was from the other town came up to her and said < Were you on the carnival Triumph in November? And were you the one in the Survivor contest? She had seen her on the Replay on their rooms tv ( it was on daily) Of course she said yes and that's how small of a world it really is!

Ken

PS and my ex WAS a GREAT Sport about it and the talk of our group for the rest of the cruise!

Since we cruise mainly out of our homeports we run into many people that we know-
My beer teacher, secretary's daughter, student's mother, mailman, cousin etc.
Funniest was when our friend's kid knew almost everyone in the kids club. They were all from his high school.

We just found out that friends will be on the same cruise as us next week.

We have sailed with the occasional person we have sailed with in the past including some CC members who we stay in touch with. We also bump into the occasional officer or crew member who we have sailed with. We have also met people who know members of our family or are friends of friends.

We've only once met again people whom we met on a previous cruise.

However, on our last cruise I met someone who had been our neighbour about 35 years ago, when our respective children were all pre-schoolers. We both used to go to the same activities groups for pre-schoolers. Since then, she had remarried and moved to Australia.

Funny story..my uncle was a high school football coach for a number of years...he swore almost every place he visited...every vacation he went on...he would see at least one of the guys he coached...bet if he went on a cruise the same would happen!

my wife works in a small gov. complex and we seem to run into someone from her office everywhere. Happened to us on the way back from Rome last year, right behind us was someone from her office on the plane.

We have run into people we know on cruise ships and also in port.

It is a small world.

Keith

Last cruise we were in San Juan. shared a taxi with a couple from Austraila.

Found out he and I had the same birthdate and year. really small world , so we had our birthday on the ship,. in the PortoFino.:)

Nope. I've never run into anyone I know who I didn't take along with me. I hope it stays that way.

I second that! It's always a joke between me and the DH..."wouldn't it be awful to get on the ship and see someone we know?"! The whole point of going is to get away!

Sent from my Ipad

The first year I had my university teaching job I ran into 2 of my students on the ship -- guess that's what happens when you choose a budget cruise during spring break! I saw them for a total of about 3 minutes on the ship and it wasn't a big deal, but I still laugh about it.

It's happened to us many times. We first met a guy I worked and travelled with 25 years ago back in Atlanta. We both now live in south Florida just 12 miles apart. We also met an ex-neighbor who had a cabin next to us in the north Georgia mountains. They were now living in South Carolina. I met a woman at dinner who lived two blocks from me in 1955 in Atlanta. We have been on four different cruises with a couple we recognized. Turns out, they're from Montreal. Then at a dinner table for eight, we had multiple coincidences. The couple from Arizona had been on the same cruise with us from Quebec. Another guest had been on the same TA with us from Barcelona and when I told a funny story about Jim and Tammyfay Bakker the other couple told me they were next door neighbors with the Bakkers in South Carolina.

We met a guy who taught in the same school district, while on a Med. cruise. We just started talking! We have seen him since at the theater and dog shows.

We met a woman who taught in the same school district, at the Ft. Laud. airport. She just started talking to DH. We are now friends---we live in the same area.

On our last cruise, we met a man who knew my aunt from childhood. Her mother was the choir director at the church they attended.

Also on our last cruise, we met a couple in the security line from our area. They were going on the same cruise. I never talk to people in the security line---I don't know what possessed me!! This was an 800 passenger ship, so it wasn't like there were a lot people coming in from DTW. Also, this wasn't a popular cruising time, like summer vacation or breaks. The guy was a retired teacher like myself. The wife grew up very close to where we live and went to the same parks etc. Hope to get together with them next month!

I second that! It's always a joke between me and the DH..."wouldn't it be awful to get on the ship and see someone we know?"! The whole point of going is to get away!

Sent from my Ipad

OMG me too! The closer I get to a cruise, the more frequent recurring nightmares I have of running into my ex, or worse yet, in the cabin next door! :eek:

OMG me too! The closer I get to a cruise, the more frequent recurring nightmares I have of running into my ex, or worse yet, in the cabin next door! :eek:

Make me 3!!! I hate the thought seeing people I know while away...I'm assuming I am not close enough with them to know we are cruising at the same time...and invariably it'll be someone I really DON'T want to see LOL Glad I am not alone :-)

On our 12-21-2009 cruise I ran into a girl I worked with as a computer programmer in an office of about 35 people.

On our 06-02-2013 cruise I ran into a guy I worked with as a Sports Photographer. (I did prof. sports photograhy on the wk. ends) there were about 5 photographers that I worked with.

On our 9-6-2013 Cruise I ran into the people we sat with at the MDR on our

12-14-2012 cruise.

This happen to anyone else?

It's a small world!

Nope -- and we have sailed over 120 times.

Sent from my Ipad

I'm with you on that one. Thankfully, we haven't run into anybody we know on a cruise. But it's just the opposite for our land-based travels. I've run into people I know in a gondola while skiing in Austria, outside Victoria Station in London, and of course at Disney World when the kids were young, it seemed like we couldn't turn around without seeing someone we knew from back home.

Another way this is a small world is when you talk people you meet while traveling, who are from all over the world, and they end up knowing someone you know.

2 points:

1) Around my town of 50K I keep running into this little man approx twice a week, at random locations over the last 3 years. It doesn't matter if we are in our town, our neighboring cities, or downtown Boston I keep running into him:confused:. It is the ongoing joke in my family that I can't run away from my shadow.

2) On my honeymoon cruise on the Carnival Valor I ran into my previous ex-girlfriend/fiance:eek:. We didn't let it spoil our vacation... we just drank more and focused on each other and it was perfect.

Archived