Running into people you know on a Cruise Ship

CrusieToy

On our 12-21-2009 cruise I ran into a girl I worked with as a computer programmer in an office of about 35 people.

On our 06-02-2013 cruise I ran into a guy I worked with as a Sports Photographer. (I did prof. sports photograhy on the wk. ends) there were about 5 photographers that I worked with.

On our 9-6-2013 Cruise I ran into the people we sat with at the MDR on our

12-14-2012 cruise.

This happen to anyone else?

It's a small world!

I don't recall running into anyone we knew on the ship, but we have at a few ports. It is odd being in a foreign country/island hearing your name called by someone else!

Wait, I do recall one time there was a musician onboard that my husband knew. We weren't aware he was working on the ship so that was a surprise.

We have met people onboard and then found we had run into each other in the past, but were obviously not "friends" or close associates.

Yes, only our last TA from New Orleans to Barcelona, we had about 6 people from my home town. Some we knew very well and had no idea they would be on the TA with us. The others I meet playing poker, did not know their names until then, but had seen them around town.

It's happened to us three times. I want to die when I see somebody I know on the first day of a cruise. It always the people you don't want to see on vacation ;)! Besides that, I don't want to have to think about potentially running into somebody every time we do something.

Yes. :( DH had talked me into taking along a 2-piece bathing suit. He said you will not see anyone you know. On the gangway I heard my name and I saw 3 teachers fro my school system.

We sailed from Baltimore and we lived in Virginia--so we were only 2.5 hours away. But, it was still a bummer.

Also, once on the dock in Cozumel we ran into a family we knew well. They were on a different ship.

I never have but a woman I worked with met some one I was good friends with in high school. They got to chatting in the hot tub and talking about where they were from and where they worked and had a good laugh about small worlds

Our very first cruise, not one but 2 people and their spouses from work. One was an Ex boss of my husbands and the other was one of husbands co-workers. None of us knew the others would be on the same cruise. We all worked in a auto factory that employed over 10k workers.

Oddly, I have run into people that I went to high school with on 2 different cruises. The first time it wasn't so unusual...it was a Mexican Riviera cruise about 16 years after we graduated.

The second time was on a Southern Caribbean cruise this past February, and it's been about 37 years since we graduated. We were just talking to her and her family, they live in WA now, and I am ashamed to say that I didn't remember her, but she was in my graduating class from high school. :)

No but we had the opposite happen. We talked to a couple a few times in the D lounge and a couple months later we saw them at a local restaurant.

On the other hand our daughter was walking home from school with a friend talking about fall break and they discovered they were both going on the same cruise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Yep. Went to MDR the first night and was seated with a family with three children. I had taught two of them quite recently. Also standing in line in cruise terminal....a whole family, many children....and I'd taught most of them. The younger ones hadn't started high school yet, but they eventually turned up in my class and we always had a laugh about the time we cruised together!

We live in Virginia but departed from Miami on this specific cruise. My husband and I like to dance and used to frequent a club where we live. The first night on the cruise we recognized a couple that frequents the same club in VA.........boy can they dance!!! :) Definitely a small world!

My DH and I were sitting one morning at breakfast at a table for 8. Got to discussing where we were from, etc. Found out that one woman had gone out with DH's brother and to the same HS as DH. It was funny. Once again, this is a story about cruising out of Baltimore (Enchantment) and living in VA so not that unlikely. Another time we ran into someone DH had served with in the Navy while waiting to board Grandeur in Baltimore. We ran into them a few times. Also, on Enchantment, my parents neighbors and their friends were onboard. I knew they would be as my mom had told me, but it was funny seeing them everyday. We've also run into people we know in Walt Disney World a couple of times.

In 2010 we cruised on Grandeur out of Tampa and shared a dining table with several couples. The following January, we had just boarded Enchantment out of Baltimore and almost immediately bumped into one of the couples we met on Grandeur. We're from Canada and they are from the South. I wonder what the odds of that happening are?

Archived