I Need Hotel Advice For Stockholm

pingpong1

Hi Folks - I'm asking for some advice from those of you who have had experience (both good AND bad) with Stockholm hotels.

My general impression/bias, and limited experience with Scandinavian accommodations (and hospitality :confused:), is that it's all rather Spartan, cold, utilitarian, minimalist, and comes with an emphasis on "less" rather than "more".

The latest trend also seems to be on "Eco-friendly" accommodations. That's a code word for - "We're going to charge you an outrageous price without providing the common amenities that you're used to receiving in 4/5-star hotels in the US.....but you're going to feel better about it because you're ostensibly doing something to "help the environment" (not to mention our "bottom line" profits).

Opinion - The quite common amenities routinely found in US Hampton Inns, La Quinta's, Holiday Inns, and Courtyards (which to me, are quite acceptable accommodations) seem to be sorely lacking in even the most high-end and costly hotels overseas - and especially true in Scandinavia.

I know I will have to expect to pay upwards of $600/night (If I'm "lucky") for a "luxury hotel" in Sweden. But if I must put out that kind of money - I'm at least hoping/expecting to find something more than a small/cramped/dark little hotel room, that is furnished in old Ikea-like furniture, and comes with just one towel, one tiny bar of soap, and no bath mats! Oh, and It would also be nice to get more than a cold, businesslike stare, and slow grudging service from the reception desk person who is taking the bag-full of money I'm handing over to them. :p

So with that as prologue... For the moment (subject to change), I'm scheduled to use Regent's pre-cruise hotel in Stockholm - The Scandic Grand Central. And I'm also considering arriving in Stockholm an extra day earlier (2 days before the ship embarks) to allow for a day of sightseeing (a private tour - yes, I actually do use them sometimes :D ). My first thought was to book the extra (pre-pre) night at the same Regent accommodation, the Scandic, so I didn't have to move. But now I'm not so sure.

Upon reading all the reviews of the Scandic Grand on TAdotCom - I can't say that I'm too excited about this place. In fact, it doesn't sound very "grand" at all! When reading reviews, I usually filter out the "Excellent" and "bottom" ratings and focus mostly on the mid-level/average ratings. I think that's were you get to the real "feeling" for the place. I saw a lot of adjectives like "slow service", small rooms, old-fashioned plumbing, no drawers to put clothes in, "over-priced for what you get", etc.

I then expanded my search to other supposedly 4/5-star hotels in Stockholm and none of those (Courtyard, Radisson Blu, Hilton Slussen, Sheraton, etc.) even sounded that much better, either.

So, I'm asking my fellow Regent friends if they have stayed at (and enjoyed) any accommodations in Stockholm pre- or post-cruise, that they would enthusiastically recommend - regardless of price, and would gladly return to themselves? Many Thanks in advance.

Pingpong1 -

We are very eager to hear the responses you get to your question!

We already booked 2 nights post-cruise at the Scandic Grand Central through Regent.

To say the least, the price is outrageous ($578 per person), but we decided to book it because it includes the transfers.

Go figure!:)

Hi Pingpong!

We booked our pre-cruise stay in Stockholm without using Regent and had a wonderful experience. We got a taxi from the airport for about $50, I think, and went to the Grand Hotel. (We were upgraded to a suite facing the harbor). The staff was exceptionally hospitable and welcoming. And the room was spacious and comfortable.

I blush to tell you how reasonable in cost it was. Honestly, Stockholm is exceptionally easy to arrange yourself, much less expensive, and to be in such a central location was lovely as there is so much to do in Stockholm.

If we were heading to Stockholm I would do the exact same thing again, even if the Grand Hotel were much more expensive than the last time.

We stayed at the hilton and it was fine. Very comfortable room. Would have been way expensive but we used Hilton honors points ( which I hoard for situations such as this). Very close to subway stop and close enough that you can walk downtown as well.

Pingpong,

We were on this year's Aug 21 Voyager Baltic Cruise and stayed 3-nights pre-cruise on the Club floor of the Sheraton Stockholm. The room was very comfortable and quite spacious for a European hotel. The best part about staying there was that our rate included a full breakfast and what was described as "afternoon snacks." Those "snacks" turned out to consist of a fully-stocked bar (wine, beer and the hard stuff) and food so substantial we ended up calling it a 3-course dinner. The breakfasts also were very substantial.... so much so that we skipped lunch all three days. We booked their AAA rate (but I think the same deal was available for AARP members). This rate included free Wi-Fi in addition to the 2 meals and we paid $440 a night, including all taxes. The hotel is also very centrally located.... in walking distance of Gamla Stan. Also, Stockholm is so easy to tour that there really is no need to book a private tour.

Edited by journeyfan

We also stayed at the Grand Hotel (water side); found it to be affordable and well located. I think we also bought the "Stockholm Card" at the train station that had lots of perks and discounts that included a bike tour which was excellent--a little strenuous, but excellent.

What the OP fails to understand is that usually when booking a hotel thru Regent, you will pay in the neighborhood of double what you would get at the same hotel booking yourself. If you are thinking of booking a different hotel for the second nite, can't understand why you wouldn't book the other hotel for two nites rather pay Regent their exorbitant prices.

You can for sure get a better rate on your own even including the included transfers and breakfast. Wouldn't be surprised if you would save several hundred dollars doing it your way and get the hotel you want and avoid the bus to the port while using a private cab. Much better and much cheaper.

Folks - I'm certainly appreciating all of your input and welcome even more comments regarding the hotel and the sights to see in Stockholm. It seems like there's a lot of interest in Stockholm on this thread.

But let's make sure we're talking about the same hotel!

There is a "Grand Hotel" located at #9 Vestergrogade. It is part of the ARP-Hansen group and looks GREAT! In fact, I'm going to investigate it further for my possible pre-cruise stay in Stockholm. I believe that might be the hotel that "Bissel" stayed at and is talking about and I thank them for their recommendation.

And then......there's the "Scandic Grand Central Hotel" that is part of the Scandic Hotel Group (a chain all over Scandinavia) and it is located at #70 Kungsgatan. An older building and not on the water's edge. THIS is the hotel that Regent is using for their Pre-night passengers before boarding the Baltic cruise. And it DOESN'T sound so great in some of the on-line reviews that I've read!

Could the previous posters please re-check and make sure which hotel it is they're recommending?

RallyDave - Thanks for the post. I am well-aware of the economics of the whole thing and would have no intention of booking a second night (before the pre-cruise night) through Regent. I would book that directly with the hotel (on a per/room basis vice per/person basis) and it would have nothing to do with Regent. I'd just be staying in that same hotel 2 nights (if I decide to stay there at all). The first night, I would be paying the hotel directly. The second night would be "included" in the price that I paid for the entire cruise - if I don't back it out of the cruise package.

Based upon the input I get from everyone on this thread, I may very well "back out" the pre-cruise room (offered by Regent) altogether out of the total invoice and arrange BOTH nights (pre-cruise) on my own at another hotel entirely - and just get my own cab to the ship on embarkation day on my own, as well. I realize that Regent is "no bargain" when it comes to those "off-ship" accommodations and transfers. I've already backed out the air fare from Regent's invoice when I first booked this cruise and we're flying on our own to Stockholm (and back from Copenhagen) - BA from Phoenix, connecting through Heathrow. And I Thank You very much for the word of caution!

To others - please keep the recommendations and thoughts about Stockholm coming. They are much appreciated! It looks like there's a lot of interest.

Mudhen - If you are on this same sailing (June 14, Stockholm to Copenhagen) Mary and I (Kelvin) look forward to meeting you. Regards to all.

We also stayed in a club room at the Sheraton prior to our Seabourn cruise last summer. The hotel was very nice, reasonably priced, and within easy walking distance of some beautiful areas of Stockholm. Also, just a short cab ride to the cruise terminal

The Grand Hotel we stayed in is a Leading Hotel of the World place and is located at Sodra Blasieholmshamnea 8, Stockholm.

The prices look a bit higher than we paid 3 years ago but it was really a perfect hotel for Stockholm and truly enriched our whole holiday.

The Grand Hotel that bissel is referring to is definitely Stockholm's finest hotel. It is where the recipients of the Nobel Prize stay each year. It is truly grand.... and horribly expensive. Maybe if you attempt to book it at the last moment during a slow period you could get an affordable rate. We checked the rates out of curiosity before we booked into the Sheraton and the rates were staggering. Took our breath away. Give it a try. If you can get reasonable rates at the Grand Hotel, book it. Otherwise, I don't think you can beat the Club floor of the Sheraton for price, comfort and location.

We NEVER use either the pre-night hotel or airfare from Regent - I have always found much better deals on our own.

We cruised from Stockholm to London in 2012 and will be on the cruise from Copenhagen to Stockholm in July 2014. Last time we needed to stay in Stockholm I waited until the dead of winter, when most hotel chains have great bargains for summer travel. In 2012, I was able to get the Stockholm Hilton (Great location!) for $225 night including a wonderful breakfast and all taxes. When I first started to look for a room, approximately one year in advance, rooms were averaging $550 - $600 night.

Suggestion - sign up for the loyalty programs for all the major hotel chains, that way you will get the emails for all the special promotions.

Word of caution - cost of taxi in Stockholm is expensive, from the hotel to the cruise ship was a 20 minute ride and cost the equivalent of $50.00.

gnomie:)

Oops! brain malfunction.... I now realize that it was not the Grand; our accommodations on the trip I was thinking of were at the Radisson Blu Strand Hotel located at Nybrokajen9; we had a superior room-harbour view that we booked with points through amex travel. Not super fancy, but more than adequate for our needs, and well located for what we wanted to see. Stockholm is one of our favorite cities, you will love it!

Sometimes I call my daughter MissInformation--maybe she got that from me:eek:

Thanks to everyone for all the great input - Based on the comments (and then, my follow-up research), I'm going to try and book a Club Room at the Sheraton with breakfast included. Since there will be 3 of us (me, DW, and Dad), I'll see if they have a room on the Club floor to accommodate 3 people. Perhaps a king with a sofa bed or 2 queens. It will be 4 nights. As I told Rally Dave, I'm going to back out Regent's charge for the pre-cruise night and stay all four nights at Sheraton. Again - Thanks to all for the info. It's nice that we have a board like this to tap the experience/thoughts of each other. Regards.

If you're a member of Starwoods Rewards, you can use points and cash. We did that and I think we paid less than $100/per night plus whatever points we used. Also, as they were booking us the manager offered breakfast for around $30 for both of us. They had a wonderful buffet for breakfast. Be aware that many cruise companies (including Regent) use the Sheraton so try to make reservations as soon as possible. I can't remember what we paid for the taxi from port to Sheraton but it wasn't $50. To get to airport for our flight we used the Arlanda Express. It took less than 30 minutes to get from terminal (near Sheraton...taxi ride was around $10) to airport. Nice, fast, clean super fast train. You buy the tickets online and use whatever credit card you used to pay as ID when onboard. I highly recommend it as transportation to airport.

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Waterfront in Stockholm. It was a great hotel near the train station....a short walk to Gamlastan and to where you can get on the Hop On Hop Off Bus. A buffet breakfast was included. The hotel is very modern and clean with helpful staff. It is rated very high on Trip Advisor which is where I usually check out hotels before I decide to book them. I would not call it "luxury" but it worked well for us. Don't miss the Vasa Museum. It's very interesting. Then we took a taxi ride to the port. I can't remember the cost but it was not very expensive. We never book the hotels with Regent.

I second recommendations for both Radisson Blu hotels I've stayed in - there is a third by the station which I have not. The Waterfront is large, modern and business-y, the Strand is smaller, more intimate and more traditional in feel (and is our preferred hotel). Last time we were there, we were upgraded to the Greta Garbo suite - very nice indeed. We have stayed in Scandic hotels throughout Sweden and they are reliable, fairly middle of the range chain, equivalent to say, an ordinary Hilton (not a swanky one!) They are clean, functional and usually well situated and from memory, the one the OP referred to is by the main station - on the doorstep of the Arlanda Express from the airport (way better than a taxi, for sure).

The Grand hotel is exactly that, with the Mathias Dahlgren restaurant there to tempt you, too. Very traditional, stylish luxury, it's right in the centre of things but when we were there last year, there was a fairly large building project going on right outside. You might like to check that out before you book!