Just out of interest....

Cashew14

I read on Facebook for our upcoming cruise someone flying into FLL at 1:54 pm and asking for the best way to get to the port to catch the ship.

Wow! I would be a nervous wreck in case there are delays, problems with luggage, traffic etc etc.

What are your thoughts on this? :confused:

Andrea

I read on Facebook for our upcoming cruise someone flying into FLL at 1:54 pm and asking for the best way to get to the port to catch the ship.

Wow! I would be a nervous wreck in case there are delays, problems with luggage, traffic etc etc.

What are your thoughts on this? :confused:

Andrea

In my view, that "someone" is very foolish! One should always be at their port of embarkation at least one to two days prior to embarkation to avoid any possibility of delays associated with flights/weather, etc.! As well, that "someone" may not be aware that there may be delays at FLL associated with the two year construction project involved with the upgrades to the runways! ;)

No way would I take the risk of flying in the day before. With some of the ships scheduled to leave at 4PM, they're cutting it way too close for my comfort zone.

Some people commented "it's only a short cab ride". Probably true unless you are confronted with any unforeseen problems.

I can remember when we explored one of the islands in the Carribean by car and it was tight coming back to the ship despite trying to be well on time. We were stuck in traffic and I am usually a good planner.

Lesson learnt and thankfully not the hard way.

Is it not also true that you need to be at the pier at least one hour before sailing in order for the ship to present the manifest to the departure port authorities? That makes a 4 pm sailing more like 3pm. that's really cutting it close!!:confused:

If he lands in FLL at 1:54 pm. He still needs to get his luggage and get through customs. So all of that would surely take 1 hour at least? Then a taxi to the port. How long does this take from the airport? 10 minutes I believe. Oh my. :eek:

When I watch the Fort Lauderdale sailaways, there is often chatter among the crew about x number of people being missing. As I listen, some of those people show up but some do get left behind.

Personally, I would be way too worried to even consider booking a flight arriving that late.

It is most likely the flight HAL put them on. I go a day early, but the cruise lines tend to get people there they day of, and don't seem to worry about missing the ship nearly as much a CC members worry.

I know if I was to book cruise air out of my closet airport, there is no way they could get me there earlier than that.

It seems close, I agree. I would prefer to fly in a day early... however I did let HAL set me up with same day flights for our next cruise since I have limited time off due to my cancer. We are getting to Quebec before 10am though so there is wiggle room, I would not be comfortable flying in later in the day.

It is most likely the flight HAL put them on. I go a day early, but the cruise lines tend to get people there they day of, and don't seem to worry about missing the ship nearly as much a CC members worry.

I know if I was to book cruise air out of my closet airport, there is no way they could get me there earlier than that.

I think HAL does that to avoid the issue of having to get a hotel room for the passengers. Not a good plan IMO. Go in the night before.

DaveOKC

We always travel in the day before. On my last cruise in April, I was sitting next to a young girl who was traveling with a group of friends for her birthday weekend. I seem to remember that because our flight was delayed from the time our wheels touched down in Ft. Lauderdale, she had 45 minutes to make it to the pier.... I felt bad for her, and thought she should have read CC first and planned better ahead.

I wouldn't fly in the day of the cruise either, and really not that late.

Anything can happen. I was flying to North Carolina last month for a conference. Weather along the route was just fine. But the plane leaving my home city had a mechanical issue and the flight was cancelled. It was a full flight as they all are these days, so imagine a Boeing 747 full of people all trying to reschedule. I ended up flying out the next day, it was the best they could do.

A few years ago we were sitting at RDU waiting for our direct flight to FLL. Of course, it was the day before our cruise. There was some problem in Chicago and our plane didn't arrive. The gate staff announced we would be delayed several hours AND would anyone on a cruise that day please come to the gate desk and they would try to place you on another flight.

DH and I were stunned at the number of people who went running to the desk. We looked at each other and said "this is why we fly in at least a day early." I cannot imagine starting my cruise vacation by running around an airport hoping the airline can get me on another flight so I don't miss the ship.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I usually fly in the day before but on occasion I have used the cruise line for transportation. I believe that baring huge delays they will hold the ship for you if it is their transportation.

years ago, we used the cruise for our air and they typically flew you in the day of the cruise. They did delay leaving when planes were late on a cruise we were on. Since I have gotten older (and hopefully wiser) we do our own air so we choose when to arrive and come usually two days early:D

In my early cruising years I used to day-of and fortunately had no problems. But on our international cruises, I want to be in the port city two nights before we sail. Alas on our June sailing we have no choice. We can't leave until the 15th and get it at 8pm on the 16th and stumble to the ship the next day. I will be asking for blessings and prayers upon our departure from home.

In a perfect world, you could do this ... on our very first cruise, on Enchantment of the Seas, we flew into FLL the morning of our cruise, March 2006. We were on the ship within one hour of landing at the airport!!

Even though it worked that time, our next cruise we flew into Rome the day before, and have done that ever since, and we'd never do it again. Too many variables.