B2B - moving to another cabin

sailingmickey

When we booked our South America back to back cruise aboard the Infinity in April 2013, the only cabins available in our category was guaranties. We were assigned a different cabin on each leg of our cruise. Obviously, at the end of our first leg we have to move to the other cabin. Has anyone done this in the past? What is the procedure? Do we get any assistance? Can those clothes in the closet on hangers be moved to the other cabin or do we have to repack everything? :confused:

Thank you to any and all who reply:)

Basically two ways to do it...by yourself or by the stewards. We have always moved by ourselves. If you ask the stewards, they will get you a 'hotel' trolley so that you can hang all your clothes to save packing. We normally just dump everything in the cases and lay them on the trolley to wheel it up to your new room. Sometimes takes two trips, but no real bugbear. We have never had the stewards move us, but I think they are usually OK.

Tip: go and find your new steward 3 or 4 days before changeover and ask them to do your new room first, so hopefully you won't be hanging around waiting to unpack. Your old steward should know, but just mention to them to do your room last (to give you time to get out!).

We've done it a few times and its no real hassle.

Have fun!

Simon

BTB moving is very easy. Leave everything on their hangers and the steward will bring a caddy to hang them as well as carrying your suitcases to the new room. We've always given the steward advanced notice we would need help and tipped him afterwards. It might also help if you find the steward from the new cabin and let him know you're coming in early.

This is done fairly early in the morning so you'll have time to get off and enjoy the city for the day.

Love BTBs. Enjoy yours.

When we booked our South America back to back cruise aboard the Infinity in April 2013, the only cabins available in our category was guaranties. We were assigned a different cabin on each leg of our cruise. Obviously, at the end of our first leg we have to move to the other cabin. Has anyone done this in the past? What is the procedure? Do we get any assistance? Can those clothes in the closet on hangers be moved to the other cabin or do we have to repack everything? :confused:

On a recent HAL B2B, we experienced a problem with our cabin and were offered another (better!) cabin mid-cruise. The cabin became available as the booked passenger was a no show. We repacked all of the folded items from the shelves, but the stewards brought a trolley like the ones you see at hotels and put all of our hanging items on it as well as our suitcases. The whole thing took a maximum of 15 minutes, they introduced us to our new stewards, and we were settled in without a hiccup and with very little effort on our part.

Due to the disembarkation/embarkation process going on the day of your move, there may be some different wrinkles to the process, but I can't see it being much more involved than that.

You might want to discuss it with the stewards during the first leg and see what they can do to minimize the disruption.

We did this on the Infinity this past June. No problem -- our first leg cabin steward moved most things up to our new cabin. They work with the second leg steward to find the best time to make the move. We did take a few things up to the new cabin on our own. (backpacks, and one small suitcase)

They used a rolling clothes trolly to move things on hangers.

Not a problem,

Kel:)

We packed the small items in cases and arranged for the steward to trolly wardrobe items on hangers.

All went smoothly but we wish Celebrity offered what HAL offers, back to back vacations where you retain the stateroom throughout the cruise.

Celebrity does have this option, but you need to book early enough that the cabin you want is available for both cruises, or intentionally select a cabin class that allows you to reerve the same cabin for both cruises.

We've taken 2 Celebrity B2B cruses and had the same SR on both. On one, we used a TA, and the other, I set it up through the Celebrity Website.

Keep an eye on what SR's are available on your B2B's and see if one you'd like opens on both cruises, or let your TA know you want them to watch that closely and get you the same SR for both.

It does make it easy staying in the same SR, but not a big deal. On one B2B, we liked the Dining room Staff and asked for the same team and go them.

Den

We switched cabins on Infinity after a Transatlantic, before a British Isles cruise. You meet with X the night before and they issue your new room key cards.

We took an excursion to Cambridge the change over day.

We did arrange with our cabin steward to move our packed (yes we repacked) luggage to our new cabin. Slipped him a $20.

If you stay on board, you can move yourself.

We switched cabins on Infinity after a Transatlantic, before a British Isles cruise. You meet with X the night before and they issue your new room key cards.

We took an excursion to Cambridge the change over day.

We did arrange with our cabin steward to move our packed (yes we repacked) luggage to our new cabin. Slipped him a $20.

If you stay on board, you can move yourself.

What about the things that you had in the safe? Were you able to put them in the safe in the new cabin? Thanks

Your steward will help you.

Just wondered if anyone had experience of changing rooms when the first cruise was a Westbound TA ending in the USA? From previous TA's in Fort Lauderdale, I know how difficult that day is for the crew and am worried how that will complicate our move.

Sue

As suggested, a major key is finding the new cabin attendant to let him/her know that you are on B2B and they will usually try to service your new room as soon as possible.

We’ve done several B2B (although not on Celebrity) and find that the room attendants are SO BUSY the turnover morning that is was easier for us to move the items ourselves. They gave us a trolley, we simply transferred the hanging clothes (still on hangers) and put the remaining items in a suitcase or tote.

Honestly I like moving, as we have a “new cabin” with everything “fresh” and our own items in place for the next leg.

ENJOY

M

We always find Changeover day to be a pain even when having the same room. The ritual adopted by the cruiseline/USA Immigration and Customs is a nightmare. You are herded like cattle off the ship pass thro customs, nobody even checks you, and then herded back aboard. Some will say it has a purpose but for the life of me I can't see the reasoning, if you were checked it would have some meaning but just to walk off as a large group without anybody checking passports or anything is beyond me, bureaucracy at its worst.

Edited by mickey89

We always find Changeover day to be a pain even when having the same room. The ritual adopted by the cruiseline/USA Immigration and Customs is a nightmare. You are herded like cattle off the ship pass thro customs, nobody even checks you, and then herded back aboard. Some will say it has a purpose but for the life of me I can't see the reasoning, if you were checked it would have some meaning but just to walk off as a large group without anybody checking passports or anything is beyond me, bureaucracy at its worst.

Yes, that's pretty much what I expected. After a TA, hen you are not staying on, you queue for ages for the Immigration Officer more or less wave you through. I can't see them doing much else when you are getting back on the ship. I can just see changing rooms as well is going to be a nightmare as I bet they lock the doors while we are off the ship. Still, I am sure continuing to cruise will make up or it all.

Sue

When we switched cabins we packed everything except what was on hangers. The items on hangers were dumped on the bed without the hangers - guess we didn't tip enough extra for the first cabin.:rolleyes:

They won't move the wood hangers from one cabin to another. Put your hanging clothes on wire hangers and they will be moved from one cabin to another and hung in the closet.

My experience has been that the cabin stewards take care of this and they don't want you to participate. And, yes, I do tip extra for this service.

What about the things that you had in the safe? Were you able to put them in the safe in the new cabin? Thanks

Our butler tried valiantly to get us access to the new safe but was not successful. The valuables were locked in the suitcases and survived just fine. Same with the subsequent move when we did not have a butler.

Our butler tried valiantly to get us access to the new safe but was not successful. The valuables were locked in the suitcases and survived just fine. Same with the subsequent move when we did not have a butler.

Thanks, Linda. That is a good idea, but I don't know where the keys are for our cases as I never lock them. I use those ties that come with the plastic bags. But I solved our problem for the next B2B by changing cabins so we will have the same one on both legs. :) Shirley

I'm surprised. A call to security should have resolved the problem. All safes of this nature have a master code that enables trusted employees, typically members of the security team, to open and reset any of the safes onboard.