Breakfast Buffet and PJs/Bathrobes

kcwingwalker

...care what others think or they don't realize how it appears...It is like the guy that is 60 plus, hairy, overweight and comes to dinner, on a Princess cruise in cargo shorts and flip flops. I was taken back, but no one said anything to him.

Oh, now if you want to start a new thread about flip flops as foot wear, game on! Wearing them to the pool or around the decks, on the beach...just great. Wearing cheap rubber flips, (NOTE: not designer foot thongs with substance and style), wearing those cheap rubber flips as everyday and all day footwear....ugh! OT! Sorry, but the image of your Princess guy, just conjured up this reply.

We asked our local favorite breakfast restaurant server if she noticed anyone coming in for breakfast in their pj's and her reply: "yes, occasionally, usually teenage girls."

But I do agree, the age and income are irrelevant. Social etiquette should still matter, in fact, I don't think it hurts the world if there were self awareness in the social setting.

But now that we are aware of the new trend, I am hoping to go to the buffet, not for breakfast, just for laughs.

Edited by cacj

Oh, now if you want to start a new thread about flip flops as foot wear, game on! Wearing them to the pool or around the decks, on the beach...just great. Wearing cheap rubber flips, (NOTE: not designer foot thongs with substance and style), wearing those cheap rubber flips as everyday and all day footwear....ugh! OT! Sorry, but the image of your Princess guy, just conjured up this reply.

So would going to breakfast in designer PJ's with substance and style be OK with you? ;)

We too have seen it early morning people sneaking and taking food back to their cabin.

We've also have seen it a lot in the daytime people will cover up over their bathing suit to come in to get food.

I don't have a problem with as most of them should be covered up anyway especially while I'm eating.

That's a different thing. People are at the pool, and throw a bathing suite coverup on to grab a snack. I do that myself.

The pajama thing is not only happening on cruise ships. I see it all over town. People go to the post office, supermarkets, and coffee shops in P.J.s. To me, that's nasty. Take a few minutes to shower and get dressed, before going out.

That's just my opinion.

NOW lets discuss the LADIES (?) those 40+ and or overweight wearing their micro bekinis...... this is just as bad as a guy wearing a speedo who is over weight .....and I am one of those overweight, so do not wear speedos befor you ask......but all you hear on these boards is guys wearing speedos, no one ever says anything about the ladies and their bad taste......

jim...

NOW lets discuss the LADIES (?) those 40+ and or overweight wearing their micro bekinis...... this is just as bad as a guy wearing a speedo who is over weight .....and I am one of those overweight, so do not wear speedos befor you ask......but all you hear on these boards is guys wearing speedos, no one ever says anything about the ladies and their bad taste......

jim...

Oh, I agree. I'm 'plump' and don't wear my bathing suit without a cover up! Even when I go into the pool/ocean/sea.....I have a nice cover-up that looks like a bikini and I always wear that in the water!

It's not just guys!

Harriet

I'm just wondering if it's an age thing. I'm in my mid 50's and would never think to do such a thing.....

however, I think the younger generation would have no problem doing this. However, I might be wrong! LOL

So.....I'm wondering - those that would, could, or have done this can I ask what your age bracket is?

Under 30?

30 to 40?

40 to 50?

Over 50?

Harriet

I go out in my 'jammy pants' regularly and I'll be 50 in another 2 months.

-

How about people wearing leggings/tights with short shirts?

The first time I saw this I did a double take because I honestly thought the woman had a "senior" moment and forgot her skirt!

I am seeing this more and more on the visitors in the hospital in which I work.

I think these "bottoms" are meant to be worn with a tunic, skirt, or SOMETHING that covers the tushy...

Age and size don't seem to matter. Fat, thin, young, old--all types have done this and it can be quite a blinding sight...

--

We asked our local favorite breakfast restaurant server if she noticed anyone coming in for breakfast in their pj's and her reply: "yes, occasionally, usually teenage girls."

But I do agree, the age and income are irrelevant. Social etiquette should still matter, in fact, I don't think it hurts the world if there were self awareness in the social setting.

But now that we are aware of the new trend, I am hoping to go to the buffet, not for breakfast, just for laughs.

As a parent of several teenage girls pj bottoms are more than acceptable clothing for wearing to their sports practices and games over their uniforms. Actually they all have sport uniform pj bottoms. The entire team. And yes they will wear them if we are making a quick grocery stop etc. on our way to a game.

I personally do not care what another adult wears on a ship but am more upset about the fact that if they just rolled out of bed they have not showered yet they probably smell!

Edited by Crusin6

I'm just wondering if it's an age thing. I'm in my mid 50's and would never think to do such a thing.....

however, I think the younger generation would have no problem doing this. However, I might be wrong! LOL

So.....I'm wondering - those that would, could, or have done this can I ask what your age bracket is?

Under 30?

30 to 40?

40 to 50?

Over 50?

Harriet

Not sure if it is an age thing. I know 20 and 30 year olds that act like they just got off the Mayflower, and people in their 80s that are very accepting and broad minded.

Like with every generation. The new ones will come up with an idea , or fad , or attitude , and some of the old guard will hate it and put it down, and others will just pay it no mind, and others will embrace it and say "Its about time, I wish it was like that in my day"

Like with every generation. The new ones will come up with an idea , or fad , or attitude , and some of the old guard will hate it and put it down, and others will just pay it no mind, and others will embrace it and say "Its about time, I wish it was like that in my day"

Well, I have three children, now 24, 26, and 29. They 'tried' to wear their PJ's and/or PJ bottoms out of this house.....but as long as they were living with me......I simply would not allow it. Hey, my house....my rules!

Funny thing is I called them and asked them about this as since they're all on their own now I didn't know what they did. My 24 year old said she did sometimes when she was living away at University but now never does. The other two said they never did at home and never do it now. My one son who is married and has a child said he won't allow it either.

So.....some things do rub off on our kids! LOL

Harriet

I have been following a thread on another board about people arriving at the buffet in the am in PJs and/or robes complete with bed head. The responses have been interesting and it's not just one cruise line where this is occurring. This is about adults, not young children.

So am I out of touch since I have not cruised in 14 months? Are people wandering around NCL ships looking like they've just rolled out of bed?

Perhaps I being old-fashioned but you'll have to be part of our close family circle before you'll see my PJ's.

The way I see it is this....

At the buffet it's no big deal to see someone in their robes or sweats. The buffet is meant to be casual. That's the whole point of the buffet.

In the dining room it's a big deal. It's a dining room... classier, nicer, more whatever.... I think you get my point.

Be showered and dressed in the dining room. Otherwise, go to the buffet on the Lido deck.

Just how I see it that's all.

The way I see it is this....

At the buffet it's no big deal to see someone in their robes or sweats. The buffet is meant to be casual. That's the whole point of the buffet.

In the dining room it's a big deal. It's a dining room... classier, nicer, more whatever.... I think you get my point.

Be showered and dressed in the dining room. Otherwise, go to the buffet on the Lido deck.

Just how I see it that's all.

I do agree, it is up to everyone's own taste what they wear in public, but look at it this way? Would you go to breakfast in the hotel lobby in your jammies? Or would you go to Golden Corral in your robe? I think this is the point. I can assure you, I would not, my kids would not and my grandkids would not.

I do agree, it is up to everyone's own taste what they wear in public, but look at it this way? Would you go to breakfast in the hotel lobby in your jammies? Or would you go to Golden Corral in your robe? I think this is the point. I can assure you, I would not, my kids would not and my grandkids would not.

As I read your post I was thinking the same thing :p I can see not wanting to get dressed up to zip down for breakfast but throw on a pair of lululemons/shorts or something other than your pj's. If one wears their pj's to breakfast does one brush their teeth before going :eek: ....guess not if you are going with bed head....brushing doesn't factor in

4. Well, if I'm being honest, anyone who would do #3 would likely not be someone I would want to know. Not saying that you aren't entitled to your thought processes, but if you look at someone and write them off as "trailer trash" because they aren't wearing nice clothes at 7 AM, well, that's just not me.

Now, all this being said... I would never go to a dining room (or even the buffet) in my pajamas. I would, however, run up the hallway to grab a drink from the vending machine in my pajamas. Judge me all you want, but I see nothing wrong with that.

My cabin in January is going to be about three doors down from the studio lounge... so who knows, I might run to the lounge in my pajamas to grab a box of cereal one morning before getting ready for the day. I see nothing wrong with that either. lol

I am on the younger side of cruise critic, though... so maybe that makes a difference, who knows?

Now I am even more glad that you are on the same cruise as me this January! I agree with all of this. I wouldn't go to the buffet in my pjs, but I wouldn't freak out about others doing it. I am way too busy having a good time to worry about that. 😊