How could HAL Improve?

Stateroom_Sailor

no way can you get some of these improvements without $$$. I am sure famous entertainers get famous prices. I know Regis was on for a week on a world cruise and got more than a fancy room. I have no idea what his talent is/was. Also they pay good money for designers to add those colors to the rugs and décor. People crabbed when the Eurodam came out with its simplicity in european design. Some didn't get the Nieuw Amsterdam-NY thing. I guess some think all ships should have fancy chandeliers and velvet curtains. Décor, food and entertainment are different for different people. Sail on!!

Right now I am having thoughts about all the people on land that service me and seem to have to wear black: hair dressers, waiters, dentists, doctors office. I still think that it is for mortuaries.

We reported it to our cabin steward the first time we saw him. Wasn't fixed when we got back from dinner on the first night so we called the front desk. Maintenance didn't fix it until two days into the cruise. Because of the issues we brought up, HAL gave us a future cruise credit (which we are using on this upcoming cruise)

It wasn't the travel agent's idea. We went seeking HAL as they advertise themselves as a more upscale line. "Signature of Excellence" and all that. The price was quite a bit higher than other similar itineraries on other cruise lines, so we figured we were paying a higher price for a higher standard of quality. Now looking at HALs rate tactics, we see that we just bought the cruise at a high point and that in reality their rates are similar to Carnival and Norwegian rates.

The cocktail (The Wine Country Collins which I see is still on the menu, she'll be happy about that) was a favorite of my sisters after she discovered it. She had one every night with dinner. On the fifth night of the cruise, it came out bitter and tasting awful (I even had a sip to confirm). We asked our server to send it back and have it re-made, and he said he couldn't do that, he would have to get permission from the beverage manager, so it sat there on the center of our table all the way through the main entree. We all kind of stared at it sitting there in the center of the table, almost a symbol, the straw that broke the camels back so to speak, of the poor service we had been experiencing on the cruise up to that point. This sort of thing should be a no-brainer. If the drink is bad, dump it out and make it again, but for some reason with HAL it was an issue.

Again, these things would be expected for a bargain-priced cruise, but at a premium price I don't expect heat when we ask for a drink to be re-made and I expect the cabin to be clean and the balcony door to work!

Thanks for the specifics. This helps the discussion a lot. If you don't mind reporting, what did you pay for this trip and what cabin level that created these higher expectations?

All cruise ship marketing we have noticed has major credibility gaps between image and reality. They do themselves no favors creating unrealistic imagery.

Thanks for the specifics. This helps the discussion a lot. If you don't mind reporting, what did you pay for this trip and what cabin level that created these higher expectations?

On this 7-day R/T from Seattle we paid $1399 pp plus port fees for VD cabins (we picked the cabins, not GTY cabins)

Edited by wallyboag

I would like to see them go back to the days of really good speakers - I don't know if the ones we had were cruisers getting a reduced fare, or if they were hired specifically for the area cruised. We have had some great ones, but more recently the port speakers just seemed to be describing HAL's shore excursions, and shopping possibilities!

>SNIP<

We had an OUTSTANDING speaker on one cruise, he was informative, entertaining, and I still remember his name. That was about 5 years ago and I STILL remember his name ;)

In fairness, our "port speaker" on our last cruise gave equal time to "do it yourself" explorations of the various ports. I made note on the survey that we really appreciated that. Also sought her out to thank her for it.

All cruise ship marketing we have noticed has major credibility gaps between image and reality. They do themselves no favors creating unrealistic imagery.

Wow, that's a bit much to ask, don't you think? Would you like to tell us what you paid for your last cruise and in which category?

On this 7-day R/T from Seattle we paid $1399 pp plus port fees for VD cabins (we picked the cabins, not GTY cabins)

$200 a day each, or for both?

This does buy food, lodging, transportation and entertainment per day on a cruise ship. Still a bargain really, when compared to land-based costs for similar amenities. Even Comfort Suites cost over $100 a day just for a room and a lousy breakfast.

Edited by OlsSalt

$200 a day each, or for both?

This does buy food, lodging, transportation and entertainment per day on a cruise ship. Still a bargain really, when compared to land-based costs for similar amenities. Even Comfort Suites cost over $100 a day just for a room and a lousy breakfast.

It's not really a bargain. My friend is at an all inclusive right now for $1800 for 2 weeks. That includes drinks! That's a bargain.

Many of these would be excellent, but I wonder how many of these things they could put into effect without having to raise fares a great deal? Probably a lot more than $25 per person per day, which I believe someone posted earlier.

It they had more moderate fares I'm fairly certain they could put on a better product. As it is they probably have 30% booking at steep fares and 70% booking at the fire sale prices. That's why they are trying to get people to book early by having programs like the Explore 4.

I am quite happy to sail on Holland America. But they could:

4. Have local beer festivals. Bring a few cases of local beer on board and sell them in a bar or two at a profit.

We had this in Warnemunde Germany, along with an oom-pah-pah band.

7. Improve internet speed.

This is happening with recent equipment upgrades.

The Daily Program could be on the TV also thus eliminating the copious pieces of paper delivered to the cabins and thrown away the next day!

I would not like this at all, as we carry the daily On Location program all day for reference, and bring them home to help answer questions here. Edited by jtl513

[quote name='catl331']no way can you get some of these improvements without $$$. I am sure famous entertainers get famous prices. I know Regis was on for a week on a world cruise and got more than a fancy room. I have no idea what his talent is/was. Also they pay good money for designers to add those colors to the rugs and décor. People crabbed when the Eurodam came out with its simplicity in european design. [B]Some didn't get the Nieuw Amsterdam-NY thing.[/B] I guess some think all ships should have fancy chandeliers and velvet curtains. Décor, food and entertainment are different for different people. Sail on!!

Right now I am having thoughts about all the people on land that service me and seem to have to wear black: hair dressers, waiters, dentists, doctors office. I still think that it is for mortuaries.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We loved the décor on the Nieuw Amsterdam...and the whole NYC theme.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='lorekauf']It's not really a bargain. My friend is at an all inclusive right now for $1800 for 2 weeks. That includes drinks! That's a bargain.[/QUOTE]

$128 a day for room, board, transportation, entertainment and "free" booze is bargain. Depending on the room board, transportation, entertainment and quality and amount of the booze.

I agree with SilvertoGold: more consistency in the cruise product offered throughout the fleet is needed. Cruise product consistency used to be a hallmark of HAL. One knew from one cruise to another what to expect. Maybe a sign that the fleet has become too large; too difficult to manage? Or, are Hotel Directors/Captains being given too much latitude to "do their own thing", within reason of course.

Interactive TV's in the staterooms are needed and I am hopeful that the newbuild will have them.

[quote name='rkacruiser']I agree with SilvertoGold: more consistency in the cruise product offered throughout the fleet is needed. Cruise product consistency used to be a hallmark of HAL. One knew from one cruise to another what to expect. Maybe a sign that the fleet has become too large; too difficult to manage? Or, are Hotel Directors/Captains being given too much latitude to "do their own thing", within reason of course.

Interactive TV's in the staterooms are needed and I am hopeful that the newbuild will have them.[/quote]

I think the ships are given much more latitude than in the past.

If a Captain doesn't care for the glad-handing at the VIP parties, make these parties a short 30 minutes instead of 45 to 60 minutes as some ships graciously do. We see this all the time now.

No medallions to hand out? Skip the 4/5 star Explorers Lounge party. Some do, some graciously put on a get together anyways.

Award someone a medallion, take a photo, but save some money and don't bother presenting the photo complimentarily. Maybe even tell the pax to pay for it. We've seen this.

HAL is presenting a product that varies too much. Consistency in product and the presentation of that product is a selling point and they are missing the mark. Edited by SilvertoGold

Have coffee machines like the one in the Neptune Lounge available for the rest of us ;) Charge for the coffee, swipe your key card like a debit machine or similar, and let the rest of us have access to the awesome coffee :D I'm sure there are several areas on each ship where they could be installed.

I enjoyed HAL as may be obvious by my upcoming cruises but there are always things that can be improved on.

1. As a younger guest I do wish there was more to do than just trivia and crafts, during sea days. I did enjoy the music quiz as music is my thing but maybe a few seminars on geography, history or something?

2. Better port guides. A few phrases in the local language, where is the nearest bus stop to town etc. They do seem to be very geared towards their own excursions.

3. Hire some polite spa staff. They were downright flippin' rude :mad:

4. Bigger portions in the MDR and more self serve in the Lido. Sometimes I just want to try a little bit of something new not a full serving (I tried grits ...eugh. Terrible waste of a plate ;) )

5. A room sevice menu late at night that is more geared towards post-alcohol appetites. Chips and sandwiches etc. A tipsy vegetarian does not soak up alcohol with a beansprout wrap.

6. Put the hotel service charge in the purchase price. I'm not tight but I met a few who were ...

7. a close-up magician in the bar at night ...on the Noordam they had one in the Crows Nest but only because my husbands occupation became known. Ok i'm only asking for that so i can go with him on cruises ...well a girl has to try :cool:

[quote name='rkacruiser']I agree with SilvertoGold: more consistency in the cruise product offered throughout the fleet is needed. Cruise product consistency used to be a hallmark of HAL. One knew from one cruise to another what to expect. Maybe a sign that the fleet has become too large; too difficult to manage? Or, are Hotel Directors/Captains being given too much latitude to "do their own thing", within reason of course.

Interactive TV's in the staterooms are needed and I am hopeful that the newbuild will have them.[/QUOTE]

Concerning "do your own thing," my guess would be that the Hotel Directors are challenged/incented to come in under whatever is budgeted for cost, and over what is projected for profit, for their ship, perhaps per quarter. I can see this leading to tinkering with menus, staff levels, etc., in order to make/beat their number. Same would go for the Entertainment management back in Seattle.

[quote name='Lovely other']<snip>
3. Hire some polite spa staff. They were downright flippin' rude :mad:

4. Bigger portions in the MDR and more self serve in the Lido. Sometimes I just want to try a little bit of something new not a full serving (I tried grits ...eugh. Terrible waste of a plate ;) )

:cool:[/quote]
Love these suggestions especially about the spa. They are extremely nasty!

Different itineraries will bring different demands on different ships as to amount of free time for activity planning.

Hard to make things consistent on each and every ship when unique itineraries are HAL's strong suit. It really gets compromised on the bi-lingual cruises when activities need to be duplicated in two languages.

HAL may become more for destination travelers who just want to get there, rather than cruise time entertainment which today is hard to compete with the more modern, standard itinerary offering cruise lines.

HAL always seems to pack more ports into their offerings when compared to a lot of the other offerings in the same area.

1. More consistency in service-particularly MDR service.

2. Expand the wine list to something halfway decent-for both the medium and high end products.

3. Fix the HVAC issues on those ships that have had consistent problems over months and years....or stop selling the cabins in those areas of the ships that are impacted.