Where were you 50 yrs ago today.

dkjretired

Same here. Three years old at the time so I don't remember anything. . . .

I was 3 -- I don't remember JFK or the assassination. I think if a person is old enough to remember this it's like other events/tragedies in more recent times. You will always remember where you were and what you were doing when it happened.

I too was three. While I do not remember where I was when he was shot, I do have vivid memories of expecting to watch Captain Kangaroo on TV, but instead the funeral was on. I remember the "horsey" (the riderless horse").

I was in the 9th grade at Cary JH, in Dallas. 3 buddies and I cut class to go see the President on his motorcade route about a mile from Love Field where he landed(the route was in the Dallas paper that morning for all to see). It was a beautiful, sunny day that day. We stood on the corner at Lemmon and Inwood with a medium size crowd for about 20-30 minutes and then there he was. He and the first lady looked right at us it seemed and waved and we waved back. They were all happy and enjoying the day it appeared. Mission accomplished! By the time we got back to school about a hour or so later, he was gone. School was dismissed.

I was in my final year of nursing training at a large hospital in England. I was on night duty. We heard that JFK had been shot as we started our shift. We heard that he had died when we went to breakfast the next morning.

We had terrible smogs (smoke-laden fogs) that November (it was the last winter before smokeless fuel regulations came into force) and three of my patients died during that night.

Edited by celle

I was 3 -- I don't remember JFK or the assassination. I think if a person is old enough to remember this it's like other events/tragedies in more recent times. You will always remember where you were and what you were doing when it happened.

All I remember is being in the cloak room in my classroom when hearing about the shooting. When I told this to my husband (who asked me this same question last night), he asked who I was in the cloak room with.:rolleyes: Umm...I was 6 years old and in First grade. I remember being sad and then watching the funeral on a TV in our classroom (or maybe that was Bobby Kennedy's funeral). :o

I was in 3rd grade and ironically, my teacher's name was Mrs Kennedy. - Living so close to where this tragedy took place, I remember the announcement over the PA and school was canceled before we knew he had died. Constant tv for the next few days and no school till later the next week. I remember my parents taking us down to the plaza and how sad it all was and still is

Kathy

Originally Posted by dkjretired "Thought it might be appropriate and educational for those of us who were around 50 yrs ago, Nov. 22, 1963 to express their thoughts on President Kennedy."

In June '63 my parents had seen him when he came to visit Ireland. They had taken small grainy black and white photos of him, and showed them to me when I was little, excitedly telling me every detail of how they travelled into the city especially to catch a glimpse of him.

He was/is a hugely significant man here, and as a result, since June, there have been many remembrances, events, films, archive footage, etc of his visit here and of course his assassination. Commemorative postage stamps have been issued and a website http://www.jfk50ireland.com set up to mark his visit.

So he has been very much in our nations thoughts this year and especially so today.

I was in typing class in high school. It was announced over the loud speaker and school dismissed. Being a refugee from a communist country and only having been in this country for 3 years I remember walking home shaking and crying all the way. :(

Was a sophomore in high school in chemistry class when the announcement was made....and tears came.....Later in life I worked at Brown University and got to meet John, Jr. where he was a student. Still have vivid memories of him saluting at his father's funeral.

I was on my way to the Teen Club in Baumholder, Germany. My wife and I were both in the 10th grade at Baumholder American High School. The bus driver was listening to a German radio station that broke in with a special announcement that unconfirmed sources were stating that the governor of Texas had shot President Kennedy of the United States. About a minute later they corrected the announcement to say that both the president and the governor had been shot. Upon arrival at the Teen Club I learned that President Kennedy had died. All kids were sent home and all military were called to report for duty.

I was in my 5th grade class room. Someone came in and whispered in my teacher's ear and she began to cry. The room was silent as we children weren't sure what was happening. The teacher only told us that school was letting out early and our parents would be there soon to pick us up. I was very confused.

My mother arrived and I could tell that she was upset. While driving home she told me that the president had been shot and killed. Even though my parents were diehard Republicans, they were devastated. We spent the entire weekend watching TV and saw Jack Ruby kill Oswald on live TV. That was very disturbing to me and I was worried about why all this killing was happening. Despite being only 10 yrs old in 1963, I still remember all these events vividly.

I was in kindergarten with Miss Ziske. It was nap time and we were laying on our mats and our teacher suddenly left the room and came back in and was crying and told us the president was shot. We were all sent home only to find my mother sobbing. Really terrifying for a 5 year old. I will never forget it and mourn the loss of our president to this day.

Second grade, Sr. Marilyns religion class.

We were all then packed up and went to church across the street.....St. Dominics and prayed.

We were dismissed from church and everyone freaked we did not have our books for homework....the nuns told us to go home and be with our families.

Sea Ya

I was on the playground after lunch, kindergarten, as a teacher came out crying and took us all inside where we were told. We all then were sent home. I remember watching his funeral on our small black and white television. Our world seemed to stand still.

I was in my General Science Class, 9th grade Jr High.(Ernie Pyle Jr High) We were one of the few classrooms to have a TV and my science teacher ask me to go down the hallways informing the English teachers about the event. I was the messenger of "bad news" and their reaction was so difficult for a 13 year old, that to this day…,

Arm in arm, I help the oldest teacher down to our room so she could see for herself. I felt so helpless!

Kel