Think you have privacy in your cabin? - THINK AGAIN

TheSavvyTraveler

This did happen to us, last year, on our first cruise. I never put it into words, but I am glad the OP did. Our housekeeper walked in. My husband was in the shower and I was on the bed. It was after a late dinner and we were resting and freshening up a bit before going for a night drink. To this day I don't know why our housekeeper decided to walk in - he apologized and left as soon as I jumped up from the bed. At the time, I was too shocked and stunned to do anything about it.

A housekeeper should never, ever enter for a non-emergent reason without knocking. Especially late at night.

Forgetting to put up a stupid sign shouldn't matter. As a first time cruiser, I didn't know I needed to put up a sign in case my housekeeper decided to override the deadbolt and walk in.

Any hotel I have been to has a physical bolt or chain latch that stops housekeeping from entering even if there isn't a "do not disturb" sign.

It is a big deal to me. As a 27 year old woman, I should be able to shower, change my clothes and be with my husband without being afraid that my 55 year old male housekeeper is going to walk in to leave a Patter or a piece of chocolate in my room.

Edited by sjmbruce

This happened to me 2x in a week - so I know it is not a pleasant experience.

I honestly wonder if the problem is how the system is setup. For example - I don't think the room stewards know that the dead bolt is on, I think they use their same key regardless if the door is deadbolted or not.

Maybe if the system was setup that they needed a supervisor to release a deadbolt, this issue wouldn't happen often.

Very interesting post. Guess it makes me wonder why they even have a deadbolt,,,since it is near worthless. As to the comments about putting out the Do Not Disturb Sign, we would not even want to guess how many of those DND signs have disappeared off our doors over the years. It sounds like Princess needs to come up with a better solution to their safety issue. They also should give a notice to all passengers that their "deadbolt is for decorative purposes only and does not work."

We think this situation could result in even more problems. Many frequent travelers use portable "hotel locks" which are portable locks (they cost $7 - $20) designed to secure a hotel door. Some of these devices would work on cruise ship doors. Once word spreads about the lack of effective dead bolts we can imagine lots of cruisers bringing their own hotel locks. In fact, it probably will not take long until somebody rebrands those things and calls them "cruise ship cabin security locks."

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I work the lock trade and this thread describes something well outside the design for hotel function locks. I have read all 4 pages to be clear and I see it as unacceptable that a cabin attendant would open a door when the deadbolt is engaged. (My comments are based on typical model function but since the world is a big place, it can not speak to all brands. And yet, the two cruises I have been on used hotel type locks I have seen in local buildings.) The idea from the lock makers was that each passenger would get a key or two which have an expiry date/time. If you snuck back onto the same ship the next day, your key will be dead automatically. The staff cards will not expire but are collected when they leave the ship and could be disabled if lost. Housekeeping staff are given a key card for an area but how much of the ship any one card can open would depend on how it is programmed. A housekeeping supervisor could open any cabin. Usually, these two levels would not override a deadbolt. Remember any card use is recorded and can be traced in an audit.

Senior managers and security could open any cabin in an emergency even if the deadbolt is thrown. I want to correct a few people who think the attendant can tell the deadbolt is pulled back by any card. The card use does not make any different noise just an unauthorized card can not open the deadbolt. Security has a key too but those are even less used than a master card. The idea of needing a large number to sweep the ship in an emergency sounds plausible on one level, but if you think of any event when that is needed, it is plausible staff would run to a station to get a visibility vest or coloured hat or such. It is in those locations such cards could be handed out. I too have seen the photos of staff during the Costa Concordia sinking and they all had vests. A fire sweep of cabins would be after general alarm and again new uniforms would be used.

Working in the trade, giving all cabin staff a maser key to every cabin and the ability to override the deadbolt, is just too many people. You can maintain security better in a smaller group and this seems a 'big hammer solution to put in a thumb tack.' I will ask Princess of it next time I sail.

I work the lock trade and this thread describes something well outside the design for hotel function locks. I have read all 4 pages to be clear and I see it as unacceptable that a cabin attendant would open a door when the deadbolt is engaged. (My comments are based on typical model function but since the world is a big place, it can not speak to all brands. And yet, the two cruises I have been on used hotel type locks I have seen in local buildings.) The idea from the lock makers was that each passenger would get a key or two which have an expiry date/time. If you snuck back onto the same ship the next day, your key will be dead automatically. The staff cards will not expire but are collected when they leave the ship and could be disabled if lost. Housekeeping staff are given a key card for an area but how much of the ship any one card can open would depend on how it is programmed. A housekeeping supervisor could open any cabin. Usually, these two levels would not override a deadbolt. Remember any card use is recorded and can be traced in an audit.

Senior managers and security could open any cabin in an emergency even if the deadbolt is thrown. I want to correct a few people who think the attendant can tell the deadbolt is pulled back by any card. The card use does not make any different noise just an unauthorized card can not open the deadbolt. Security has a key too but those are even less used than a master card. The idea of needing a large number to sweep the ship in an emergency sounds plausible on one level, but if you think of any event when that is needed, it is plausible staff would run to a station to get a visibility vest or coloured hat or such. It is in those locations such cards could be handed out. I too have seen the photos of staff during the Costa Concordia sinking and they all had vests. A fire sweep of cabins would be after general alarm and again new uniforms would be used.

Working in the trade, giving all cabin staff a maser key to every cabin and the ability to override the deadbolt, is just too many people. You can maintain security better in a smaller group and this seems a 'big hammer solution to put in a thumb tack.' I will ask Princess of it next time I sail.

Thank you for your input from professional experience dealing with locks/security issues...........

Not being an expert on these things (if doable at all or what the cost would be), I'm wondering if it's possible to have a version of airplane restroom "occupied" indicators inserted into the doors. That way, if passengers will be inside the cabin and not wish to be disturbed, they can slide the indicator to DND. When they leave the cabin, that indicator will be neutral (or if the passengers aren't in the middle of changing, sleeping, or "whatever," they can decide whether to make it DND or not). Just throwing it out there.

IMO, entering a cabin to place a Patters inside is not a valid reason to enter without knocking first. There's the inbox next to the door or the Patters can be slid under the door. We haven't had this happen when we've put out the DND sign (and definitely haven't had kids or adults switching our sign), but if we had a clueless cabin steward, we would remind him/her to be careful at the first time, and talk to the front desk at the second time. But as I said before, we've had cabin stewards asking us to use the "make up our cabin" side of the sign as we'll often forget.

I think I will carry a bungee cord long enough to hook one end onto the cabin door handle and the other end onto the bathroom door handle. Surely, when the door is opened, the person will realize the cabin isn't empty. :D

Joking of course!

If this is a special concern, I would address it with the cabin steward the first day when he introduces himself. I always use that opportunity to explain I want sheets rather than a duvet on the bed and about what time I prefer my cabin to be serviced. That would be a good time to discuss such things.

And yes, I have had them enter past a deadbolt. I didn't say anything and was careful to use the privacy tags. And the bathroom door, I agree, is a good way to make sure there won't be any barging in. I always assume, when they do something, it is because they are trained to do it that way. Enough people have posted here with similar experiences to convince me that is so.

Edited by Wehwalt

I don't think sexist remarks have any merit in this conversation. Even if the rule was made by a man, it's interesting that the person mentioned as enforcing it in the original post is a woman.

I'm with Pam...use the privacy tag. It's simple to do. If the ability to get past the deadbolt saves one life, it's worth the rest of you being embarrassed. And if you're suggesting that you avoid entry with wedges or security bars, you might want to think twice about what might happen to you in an emergency.

Completely agree!

While I have used the wedge when my son was a toddler to keep him from escaping a hotel room that did not have a chain on the door, I do not advocate using them if you are a solo traveler or alone in your room. However, I see absolutely no harm in using them if there are two people in the room. Surely if there is a medical emergency one of you will be able to remove said security device and open the door. Unless you are engaged in some sort of murder/suicide and then I am quite certain a broken door will be of the least concern.

I like the bungee cord idea. It's enough to tell someone that the room is occupied, but will not prevent any sort of rescue attempt. Kind of a pain to keep removing it from the bathroom door though and impossible to reengage when using the facilities. That would be one of those times you really don't want to be surprised with a housekeeping visit. I have to pay attention on our next voyage and roll that one around in my brain.

I do not doubt the postings of anyone here, but I have never had a problem getting walked in on. I use the door hanger always and most of all, I communicate every day with my cabin steward. We are not high maintenance passengers and sometimes I will flat out tell her/him not to clean our room because we are staying in and watching movies or whatever. Even though my son is old enough(12) to take care of himself now, I do not want ANYONE going in the room if he is there by himself.

I noticed some of the posters saying that their signs have been removed or changed by passengers walking past their rooms. This has also never happened to me, but I always try to book the cabin furthest aft or forward because I don't want people walking past all the time. My family thinks I am a bit odd because of my preference, but now I feel it is a pretty good practice to carry on.

When I asked him to leave it outside in the mail slot he insisted it had to be put inside the cabin and proceeded to come in all the way to the vanity.

This is the real issue IMO.

The second he realised that the cabin was occupied and before he even got through the door he should have stepped back out into the corridor and quickly closed the door.

That would be the professional way to deal with the situation.

The fact that he continued into the cabin even after he was asked to leave is unacceptable and unprofessional and the appropriate steps should have been taken by his manager to ensure this does not happen again.

I think Princess could improve their policies with regard to this, and probably improve the hardware on the doors, but I wonder how they would react to people blocking the door with their own devices as some above have suggested. There is the Muster Drill and missing person room check to consider. Of course it means the person is in the room, but it does impact that check. I believe the Cruise Contract says they have the right to search the room at anytime, although under the section dealing with luggage.

"You agree Carrier has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Your stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search You, Your baggage and/or personal effects at any location."

In my 21 cruises with Princess never encountered a problem with cabin stewards.As regards to privacy cards being taken mine never have and I think most teenagers have better stuff to do than go around taking cards off doors.

Also the cabin stewards are so busy usually servicing 20 cabins and work such long hours on split shifts that they don't have time to do anything but their official duties.Feel they have one of the most back breaking jobs on board.Then they also have passengers calling them constantly with special requests.

Put your deadlock bolt on after you have your privacy card on door.Also if persons want to be so private why don't you have a word with your cabin steward about this when you board they do follow passengers commands I can assure you.:cool:

In my 21 cruises with Princess never encountered a problem with cabin stewards.As regards to privacy cards being taken mine never have and I think most teenagers have better stuff to do than go around taking cards off doors.

Also the cabin stewards are so busy usually servicing 20 cabins and work such long hours on split shifts that they don't have time to do anything but their official duties.Feel they have one of the most back breaking jobs on board.Then they also have passengers calling them constantly with special requests.

Put your deadlock bolt on after you have your privacy card on door.Also if persons want to be so private why don't you have a word with your cabin steward about this when you board they do follow passengers commands I can assure you.:cool:

Agree completely!! We always try to remember to put the privacy card in place each time we enter our cabin. Our first Princess cruise we did not realize this and our cabin steward came in with the ice bucket after a cursory knock and that's when he told us how to avoid embaressment for us and him!!! Never had a problem since and with our 23rd cruise coming up that's pretty good!!

In most states there are rules/laws about deadbolts on hotel doors. Keys/cards for guests do not open the deadbolt from the outside. This is to prevent someone that stayed the previous night getting into your room. The houskeeping staff pretty much always has access with or without the deadbolt engaged.

Sorry it happened to you, OP. Learning experience! Always use the DND sign --- and if you are REALLY doing something naughty, slide a chair or suitcase next to the door. When they come in and hit something it generally gives you a minute or two.

At the major chain hotel I work at we have only one emergency key that will override a deadbolt. The housekeepers have no access to this key, only management and is only ever used in an extreme emergencies.

I think Princess could improve their policies with regard to this, and probably improve the hardware on the doors, but I wonder how they would react to people blocking the door with their own devices as some above have suggested.

I think some security officer would visit your cabin, and either

simply ask you no to secure the door, or hold the device for you

until the end of the cruise.

I was once with a group, and one group member was quite a pest.

I unplugged my phone to avoid their calls.

This caused a visit from the security officer to advise me that the

phone was safety equipment, and I wasn't allowed to unplug it.

As someone who has been hit on by the cabin steward on Carnival and know that there are a lot of sexual assaults on cruise ships this greatly concerns me. I thought the dead bolt was a good security if I went back to the room alone. Trust me if the cabin stewart starts coming in anytime he wants even with the dead bolt knowing I could be in a shower I would make sure after a talk with them and the supervisor the tip would be canceled as well. That is just rude to walk in for a Patter after the room had been serviced and they had turned in for the night. Also sounds fishy. That is what the mail slot is for or slip it under the door like has been done in the past.

At the major chain hotel I work at we have only one emergency key that will override a deadbolt. The housekeepers have no access to this key, only management and is only ever used in an extreme emergencies.

This is the plan by the lock makers and to me is the best practice. The idea of most all cabin staff having a card to over-ride the deadbolt is too open with key access.