It's just plain rude!

nealstuber

My primary beef with my time dining is that it disconnects some pax from the flow of the evening. RCCL still does a great job with their shows and seeing people get up 3/4s of the way through the show to make their reservation really ticks me off.

You can see the performed demoralized and it detracts from the overall experience.

I ask that my time diners with reservations take seats in the back and upper levels.

I get that the concept is here to stay - but still think the reservations concept should be nixed - if you are going to plan your day in advance, why not go with the flow that is driven not only by dinner times, but also show times?

I agree, late arrivals,in a theatre are rude and annoying, MTD or not. The one time we ended up with MTD we weren't sure how well it would work, but we found it was very easy to schedule our shows and mealtimes. This was on Allure where you had to schedule both.

Pardon? :confused:

Unsure what exactly you are saying, but is it that people are leaving or entering the theater while the show is underway? If this is your complaint, then don't blame MTD. We have done MTD and absolutely made it to the shows on time, and did not leave a show to get to dinner. The performers are used to people leaving - it happens all the time (sadly). It just does.

I agree it's very distracting. But it's just as likely there is an overlapping event somewhere else on the ship.

Last cruise for example the production show started a 7PM and the top tier event was scheduled for 7:45. Since the show and cruise director speech usually total an hour, many people left the production show early.

MTD has nothing to do with this. We had MTD and never were late or had to leave a show early, so not really sure why you are blaming MTD. I have been on cruises before MTD started and people would come in late or leave early.

When it happened during one of the comedy shows the comic made a crack about it so I noticed who it was and saw them in MDR with main course as we were seated. It's a one case study so I guess I should not draw too much from it; however on that same note, I would say that just because you didn't do it doesn't mean that nobody does. MTD accepts reservations between the assigned dinner times,so It certainly seems logical that there are some people who do go to the show and leave for this reason.

While folks have always left shows for whatever reason in the past, it sure seems like there are more now. If the shows are playing to half full theaters in part because people made their reservations before the show times were posted, won't be long before they consolidate or get rid of them.

I choose to do the your time dining because I don't go to the shows and I am currently cruising with two small children. This dining option works for our family because we don't expect our children to sit through a full dinner service or show and we wouldn't subject the rest of the boat to a child's common impatience.

I choose to do the your time dining because I don't go to the shows and I am currently cruising with two small children. This dining option works for our family because we don't expect our children to sit through a full dinner service or show and we wouldn't subject the rest of the boat to a child's common impatience.

I certainly get why many people would rather not conform to a set dining time. My point was, once you make a reservation, you have a set dining time ...so why not have a time that ties in to most of the evening activities? (Including those in the kids club)

MTD has nothing to do with this. We had MTD and never were late or had to leave a show early, so not really sure why you are blaming MTD. I have been on cruises before MTD started and people would come in late or leave early.

I have seen groups of people get up 5-10 minutes before a show ended, I assume to get up to the MDR ahead of the rush for 2nd seating.

We have done MTD, and never had an issue scheduling around the shows we wanted to see...

When it happened during one of the comedy shows the comic made a crack about it so I noticed who it was and saw them in MDR with main course as we were seated. It's a one case study so I guess I should not draw too much from it; however on that same note, I would say that just because you didn't do it doesn't mean that nobody does. MTD accepts reservations between the assigned dinner times,so It certainly seems logical that there are some people who do go to the show and leave for this reason.

While folks have always left shows for whatever reason in the past, it sure seems like there are more now. If the shows are playing to half full theaters in part because people made their reservations before the show times were posted, won't be long before they consolidate or get rid of them.

I still do not believe MTD has anything to do with it. Many different entertainment are happening all over the ship. The larger the ship the more things going on. Some people just want to see as much as they can, I have only walked out early on 2 occasions. One we were invited to the Captains Table and had to leave the Ice Show 10 minutes early to meet at one of the lounges, the other time the comedian was so bad I couldn't take any more. Maybe all the ships will go to reservations for all shows like The Allure & Oasis do. This way you just schedule eating around the shows or vice versa. I did not see many people leaving early from any shows on The Allure.

Yes it was much easier to get to the shows before MTD, they would have 2 shows 1 for early and 1 for late seating. But still people left for various reasons.

Edited by killtheump

Guest maddycat
Did you ever consider that the Pax did not like the show(s). Some of the shows are awful. I agree, when we give a show a look, we sit in the back and if we enoy it we stay otherwise we leave.

This is exactly what we do.

I still do not believe MTD has anything to do with it. Many different entertainment are happening all over the ship. The larger the ship the more things going on...

I've never subscribed to the notion that size does not matter;)

Sailed Mariner 2x and Voyager long before MTD... did not see what I saw on Navigator month. We hit 90% of the shows and our perspective was that folks now think MTD means MTS.

...We hit 90% of the shows and our perspective was that folks now think MTD means MTS.

Pardon? Gosh, I am having a difficult time understanding you, I'm afraid. :(

Not exactly what the message was... You either pick early...late ...or mtd,so what is the problem???

I know, I'm not sure either what the problem is even though OP has replied a few times here. :confused:

Hubby often cannot make it through a show without needing a bathroom break. So he leaves the show and sometimes he comes back and sometimes he doesn't if not much time is left in the show. Folks get up and run out of movies all the time for bathroom breaks, and then return.

I have also seen some parents run out in horror with their children and discover the show is too adult oriented for their preference.

Gosh knows, I am not one to agree with the OP, but. I think he has a point. If you are really just checking out the show, don't go sit down near the front, pick a seat near the back and close to the aisle so that you don't block people who want to see the shows view. Usually, when we go to a show we want to watch it, but when I think we might want to leave early or arrive late, we look for seats where we can leave without bothering others.

jc

We always sit in the back- I know within 5 minutes if we will leave because of lack of interest. Some people unfortunately do not care about getting up and disturbing the show for others. Maybe there should be a special section for the MTS-just saying.

The initial assertion by the OP is rather absurd: People are rudely leaving shows to make their dinner reservation, therefore we should scrap the entire MTD system.

This is akin to saying "It's a shame that some inconsiderate people are littering in the forest, therefore we should cut down all the trees and eliminate the forest. Then they won't be able to make a mess of it".

There are rude and inconsiderate people everywhere. And they tend to be in their glory on a cruise ship. They're not going to choose to sit in the back, because they don't care. And going back to fixed seatings for dinner is an archaic solution that brushes against the market trend and popular demand.

The best solution is for the OP to realize what a trivial thing this really is to obsess about in the first place.

The initial assertion by the OP is rather absurd: People are rudely leaving shows to make their dinner reservation, therefore we should scrap the entire MTD system.

This is akin to saying "It's a shame that some inconsiderate people are littering in the forest, therefore we should cut down all the trees and eliminate the forest. Then they won't be able to make a mess of it".

There are rude and inconsiderate people everywhere. And they tend to be in their glory on a cruise ship. They're not going to choose to sit in the back, because they don't care. And going back to fixed seatings for dinner is an archaic solution that brushes against the market trend and popular demand.

The best solution is for the OP to realize what a trivial thing this really is to obsess about in the first place.

The original post and subsequent posts do NOT say that the entire MTD program should be scrapped - just the reservations. I guess if you're just going to make stuff up, it would be easy to think how I was obsessing about it.

Seem to have touched on a real sore spot here, so I'll concede: nobody ever makes a dinner reservation for a time sounds good to them and then realizes a conflict when the compass comes out with a good show and it's times.

My primary beef with my time dining is that it disconnects some pax from the flow of the evening. RCCL still does a great job with their shows and seeing people get up 3/4s of the way through the show to make their reservation really ticks me off.

You can see the performed demoralized and it detracts from the overall experience.

I ask that my time diners with reservations take seats in the back and upper levels.

I get that the concept is here to stay - but still think the reservations concept should be nixed - if you are going to plan your day in advance, why not go with the flow that is driven not only by dinner times, but also show times?

um I don't do the shows at all so I am not walking out in the middle of a performance. and what makes you assume that everyone is leaving to make dinner anyway? people get sick, people have to pee, people decide they just plain are not enjoying themselves( yes we have walked out of shows before which is why we don't even bother going to them at all now) , the kids club beeper goes off, etc.

Why would the reservation system matter? People are going to eat at a certain time, regardless of reservations. Just as people are going to get up and leave in the middle of a show for a variety of reasons. I personally get up when I am bored; however, I usually sit near the back because 95% of the time the shows are awful and I can't make it through (Allure being the exception).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You took note of passengers faces and looked At who it was in the dining room; you did a case study?

Sorry, lady but you're on vacation. Try to enjoy it instead of trying to be the police.