For those that have been to Tortola

Benita

Several of Oceania's itineraries stop in Tortola. It is listed as a tender port, but when I look at the ports of call board or even sites sponsored by tour agents on the island, it seems like the ships dock instead of tender. We are interested in some private tours that leave within the hour of arrival, but don't want the hassle of jostling to get a tender ticket and be in competition with the O tours. If the ship docks, there is no problem, but don't want to have to get to the theater long before the tenders start in order to insure passage on the first one or two. Has the ship docked or tendered there during your cruise?

Several of Oceania's itineraries stop in Tortola. It is listed as a tender port, but when I look at the ports of call board or even sites sponsored by tour agents on the island, it seems like the ships dock instead of tender. We are interested in some private tours that leave within the hour of arrival, but don't want the hassle of jostling to get a tender ticket and be in competition with the O tours. If the ship docks, there is no problem, but don't want to have to get to the theater long before the tenders start in order to insure passage on the first one or two. Has the ship docked or tendered there during your cruise?

We were there in March 2013 and the ship docked even though the itinerary said tender. What date are you at Tortola ? You can check online what other ships are scheduled in port. If only one other ship in port you will dock.

We were there in March 2013 and the ship docked even though the itinerary said tender. What date are you at Tortola ? You can check online what other ships are scheduled in port. If only one other ship in port you will dock.

Good suggestion. The Cost Luminosa will be there, so hopefully, we will dock. St. Bart's is our other tender port, but have been there many times, and there is no large dock, so everybody tenders. It is a great day to stay on the ship. We have not been to Tortola, however, so we would like to get off and look around.

We will be aboard the Regatta on the 10th of January. Our itinerary shows that we are docking, but cruisett.com shows MSC Musica as being at Road Town along with the Regatta. And what is worst they show up before we do. Do the docks have enough room for 2 ships?

We will be aboard the Regatta on the 10th of January. Our itinerary shows that we are docking, but cruisett.com shows MSC Musica as being at Road Town along with the Regatta. And what is worst they show up before we do. Do the docks have enough room for 2 ships?

The dock has a ship either side of the pier

http://www.bviports.org/

Edited by LHT28

We just returned on Rivera Dec 22. We docked in Tortola alongside Costa Magica. This was our fourth time in Tortola and we have always docked, however our documents said we would be docking, so if yours say tender who knows. I hope it is an error:)

Hi!

We just got off the Riviera on Dec. 22nd.We have been there at least 5 times with Oceania and never tendered there. Ask Destination Services when you board about docking or tendering there.

BTW, the cruise was fantastic!

Enjoy your cruise!

Rhea

In recent years we have almost always docked in Tortola. Only once fairly recently we tendered because some repairs were being made to the dock.

We love to tender there. The tender dock is directly in town and very convenient. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Hi Benita

We just docked there on the Riviera. We did a catamaran/snorkeling excursion with Aristocat. It was wondeful!! Not French Polynesia;), but a great day!

I have not decided what to do there. Our roll call is just about dead, so chartering the Aristocat would not be doable, although we did sign up for the SilverMoon in Barbados, as they rent out space on the boat, instead of having to take the whole catamaran. I would like to see the Baths, but have ankle issues, so think I will skip the climb.

We went snorkeling in St. Marteen last month, but after French Polynesia and the Galapagos, and Australia, have been really spoiled.

Is there much to see on Tortola, if we grab a cab? We are not really beach people, but after a few days at sea, will probably want to do something.

Is there much to see on Tortola, if we grab a cab? We are not really beach people, but after a few days at sea, will probably want to do something.

We took a jitney tour from the dock went to most of the same places O tour went plus

It was $20 pp

I thought the tour was worth it

Edited by LHT28

I have not decided what to do there. Our roll call is just about dead, so chartering the Aristocat would not be doable, although we did sign up for the SilverMoon in Barbados, as they rent out space on the boat, instead of having to take the whole catamaran. I would like to see the Baths, but have ankle issues, so think I will skip the climb.

We went snorkeling in St. Marteen last month, but after French Polynesia and the Galapagos, and Australia, have been really spoiled.

Drink Painkillers. Quite a good drink. I like the dock there, it looks like the ship is pulled up to the bank.

DSC03167_zps5f7260f7.jpg

Hi Benita:

There is not much to see near the ship. However, the jitney tours take you all around the island which is quite beautiful. They are very reasonable and you can catch one right where the ship docks.

Also, there is a famous spice store in Tortola called "Sunny Caribe" which has the greatest selection of fresh spices. It is a short walk from the ship. There is also a small crafts fair near the ship as well.

Rhea

I too wanted to see the Baths, but spouse has a bad knee and the climb up and down looks like a bad idea for him. Lyn (who is on our cruise!:)) suggested the jitney tour, which sounds perfect. Then perhaps a beach later in the day. It would be great not to tender.

Edited by CintiPam

We've been very fortunate to have sailed in the beautiful waters around Tortola about 8 times.

Regarding the Baths- there are ropes and wooden steps that have been placed in difficult areas of the passage thru the boulders. The difficult areas are very short and not really all that difficult. There are a couple of places where it is necessary to stoop low to make it through but again it really isn't difficult or scary. Snorkeling along the outer edge of the Bath boulders is very fun also.

If a passage to Cooper Island could be arranged, it is a perfect Caribbean beach. Palm trees, beautiful water, beach bar and water sports rental equipment are all available. For the future, if an isolated house on a point overlooking the Saint Francis Drake Channel is of interest, check out Quart-A-Nancy House on Cooper Island.

Likewise, if you could arrange a day trip to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke you'll be rewarded with a similar experience to Cooper Island. Visit Jewel's Snack Shack or Ivan's Local Flavor Stress Free Bar ( an honor bar). Be sure to have a Pain Killer at the Soggy Dollar Bar.

If I was going to stay on Tortola, I would take a cab ( not cheap) over the hill to Cane Garden Bay and spend the day. Another nice beach with several beach bars. There is also an easy walk to a very old rum distillery (Calloway, I think). Family members provide free tours and rum can be purchased. Next to Cane Garden Bay is Brewer's Bay. It is also beautiful and quieter than Cane Garden Bay.

I agree with others that it would be best to get out of the port area.

Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

It was in 2010 on either Regatta or Insignia, but we docked. We rented a jeep from Hertz - bad idea. The jeep was not in good condition, and then we had a flat tire on top of a big hill. It was hard to find the jack (finally found it under the seat), hot as hell, little traffic (good and bad, but we were looking for someone who could call Hertz). Hertz won't help you on Tortola, you're on your own!) Got back to the pier and waited for half hour before Hertz rep came from the location at south end of the island to take car back. First time we have almost missed a ship. Tortola is a nice island, but now we have bad memories! Photos are at http://www.pbase.com/roothy123 in "Caribbean - 2010" gallery.

The same cruise went to Virgin Gorda, so we didn't have to make a decision about trying to get over there and back from Tortola. The Baths were great.

Edited by roothy123