Live from the Grand Princess Hawaiian round trip

Leo Mcgary

Hmm...are there new balcony mats on Caribe deck? Not that it really matters - I'd wear my flip flops out there anyway since the mats aren't all that comfortable for bare feet (Yes, I'm a manly man LOL). And, the new-paint-only would be too hot during the day. Just curious though :)

Thanks for the updates - can't believe you have Brando as your stateroom attendant again. That's awesome!

Hmm...are there new balcony mats on Caribe deck? Not that it really matters - I'd wear my flip flops out there anyway since the mats aren't all that comfortable for bare feet (Yes, I'm a manly man LOL). And, the new-paint-only would be too hot during the day. Just curious though :)

Thanks for the updates - can't believe you have Brando as your stateroom attendant again. That's awesome!

Mats on my stateroom balcony on the Caribe deck.

Tom:)

There were no mats on the balcony of E725 (aft mini-suite). During two trips on the Grand--both in E725; one Alaska and the 2nd holiday cruise--we have not had mats on the balcony. Since they were our first two cruises on Princess, I haven't seen a balcony mat so I don't know if they add or subtract. I heard of water and smell problems on deck 9. Did not encounter any myself. Did not attend any movies or lectures. We very much enjoyed being on a ship over the holidays so we booked the Star from San Francisco over the 2014 Christmas/New Year holiday. The pizza at Alfredo's (deck 5) continues to be a great alternative to the dining room on occasion.

Good Morning

We were awoken around midnight with an announcement on the PA calling for an alert on Deck 4 near the Security Office. It was followed a short time later with an announcement from the Captain that a crew member had gone overboard and we would be turning around to search. All passengers were instructed to stay in their cabins and secure heavy items as the ship may be listing due to the turning of the ship. We have not heard any further news over the PA. I did venture out this morning and the Promenade Deck is blocked off and closed. I did hear that the ship’s rescue craft has been deployed. It’s still dark out and we will update when we hear more. We are hoping for the best and will update more as we find out.

Thanks for the update. My DH called this morning and said he heard it on the news this morning. The Coast Guard has confirmed.

Prayers that the crew member will be found and for everyone on the Grand. This is a difficult situation for all.

Denise.

Good Morning

We were awoken around midnight with an announcement on the PA calling for an alert on Deck 4 near the Security Office. It was followed a short time later with an announcement from the Captain that a crew member had gone overboard and we would be turning around to search. All passengers were instructed to stay in their cabins and secure heavy items as the ship may be listing due to the turning of the ship. We have not heard any further news over the PA. I did venture out this morning and the Promenade Deck is blocked off and closed. I did hear that the ship’s rescue craft has been deployed. It’s still dark out and we will update when we hear more. We are hoping for the best and will update more as we find out.

There is another thread about this situation which says security video shows the crewmember intentionally jumping off the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1966932

Oh my god, not again. We were on the Grand Nov 10 for our cruise to Hawaii when on the third day a middle aged lady left the piazza and walked out to the promenade deck at lunchtime and climbed over the railing and jumped. For 48 hours we cruised around in a circle but never found her.Our cruise was changed and we missed the Island of Kauai and arrived to late in Honolulu for some booked excersions. We also went through the same safety routine as you had ,staying in our cabins for a head count and so on.

We hope this tragedy will not repeat itself on our March cruise,my prayers are with the young man's family.

Aloha Kakou,

Yes, this is truly a somber and awful thing. We are currently on the Star Princess, and as I write this I can see the Grand right outside of our cabin window, as we have joined the Grand and a cargo vessel in a search pattern for the missing crew member.

No one knows for sure how this will effect the itinerary, but we still have hope that the crew member can be found. The Captain has said that he will update us later in the day as mor einformation is obtained.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

Sea Day 1-09-2014

As I am sure all of you have heard by now the search for the man over board ended at 12:00 P.M. yesterday, the Captain gave us an updated itinerary at 17:00 hrs yesterday, Hilo will be cancelled and we will not be arriving at Honolulu until 16:00 hrs on Friday.

Honolulu 1-10-2014

We are due to arrive in Honolulu at 13:00 which is 3 hrs earlier than originally anticipated. We are currently about 140 miles from Honolulu. They have not updated the onboard information available on the TV, it still shows we are going to Hilo, even thought we were supposed to be there yesterday. We were able to cancel our Hilo tour with no charge but when we canceled our Pearl Harbor tour due to the late arrival (as were many others) we were charged since it was only a 36 hour notice and they needed 48 hours. Neither of these tours were booked through Princess. We were able to rebook a shorter tour of the Pearl Harbor Visitors center and The Missouri through Princess. The staff at the Shore Excursion counter was excellent -very patient and understanding. The food & service have been very good. Our dinner at Sabatini’s was excellent. We are enjoying our wine package. There was confusion about the wine package originally. Not all of the staff knew it was available but if you keep asking, you will find someone who knows about it. There are a very wide range of movies playing on MUTS and in the Princess Theater. The internet is extremely slow so we have been unable to post daily, but will keep on trying. Aloha!

Matt

Oh my god, not again. We were on the Grand Nov 10 for our cruise to Hawaii when on the third day a middle aged lady left the piazza and walked out to the promenade deck at lunchtime and climbed over the railing and jumped. For 48 hours we cruised around in a circle but never found her.Our cruise was changed and we missed the Island of Kauai and arrived to late in Honolulu for some booked excersions. We also went through the same safety routine as you had ,staying in our cabins for a head count and so on.

We hope this tragedy will not repeat itself on our March cruise,my prayers are with the young man's family.

Hope they gave you another cruise.

I am really interested in who you spoke with to get the wine package. As far as Princess is concerned it is not available. We are sailing on the 19th of January and very interested in finding out just who to go to. They also say you can bring 2 bottles on board, can this be from any port or does it have to be when you first board? We have to fly into SanFrancisco and don't think we can take 2 bottles in our carry on and don't want to put it into our checked baggage. Any information you can give would be appreciated.

I am really interested in who you spoke with to get the wine package. As far as Princess is concerned it is not available. We are sailing on the 19th of January and very interested in finding out just who to go to. They also say you can bring 2 bottles on board, can this be from any port or does it have to be when you first board? We have to fly into SanFrancisco and don't think we can take 2 bottles in our carry on and don't want to put it into our checked baggage. Any information you can give would be appreciated.

We spoke to our waiter on the second night of the cruise about the wine package since no one seemed to know on the first evening. The maitre'd should be able to help you. You can bring one bottle of wine per person at embarkation at no charge. These bottles are for consumption in your cabin. If you bring to the dining room, there will be a corkage fee. Bottles over the one person limit are charged the corkage, stamped and can be brought into the dining. We are now arriving in Honolulu, the port pilot just came on board. The weather is very nice Aloha for now