Just Returned From 8 Days on the Independence

The following is my opinion, so please be kind and don't jump all over me. I have cruised RCCL enough times to be a Diamond member of Crown and Anchor. So, this isn't my first go round with cruising. With that being said, for the most part the cruise was great. In my opinion, we make the cruise what we want. If you want to let everything that maybe isn't 100% right get to you then you probably will have a bad cruise. There were 3 of us in a junior suite. It was great because of the extra space, including the "walk in " closet. The bath tub was really a non-issue for us. I travel with my 76 year old mother who has had her right and left knees replaced, a hip replacement, and quadruple by-pass surgery. She is only 5 feet 5 inches tall. She had no problems getting into the shower. She did use the handicapped grab bars to get in and out of the tub. The refrigerator in the room kept items maybe tepid. If you want a cold drink, make sure to ask for ice. All 3 of us bought the Replenish package. We all agreed that on future cruises we would buy it again. Total price for the week was $160. Everyday we had fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast. We had our specialty coffee from the Promenade cafe. The nightly shows were okay. As usual, there were chair hogs at the pool. The biggest issue we had was the food and service in the main dinning room for dinner. Orders were wrong, service was extremely slow, food wasn't brought out to everyone at the table at the same time. Our table of 7 spoke multiple times with the head waiter. It got to the point that he was serving us. This was dinner. The head waiter was great in regards to my mother's low sodium diet. Each night he helped her pre-order the next evening's meal so it would be prepared for her dietary needs. Breakfast wasn't much better. As I said at the beginning, this is my opinion and you have to decide whether you want to have a good vacation or not. We chose to have fun with it and to go with the flow. Will this stop us from cruising RCCL in the future? No way! We are already planning our next cruise.

Thanks for the review. I'm going on this cruise this Saturday. I will not be happy with slow service for dinner. I was on Brilliance in October (Canada/New Eng.) and some nights I thought dinner would never end. I'm just not a fan of two-hour meals.

The following is my opinion, so please be kind and don't jump all over me. I have cruised RCCL enough times to be a Diamond member of Crown and Anchor. So, this isn't my first go round with cruising. With that being said, for the most part the cruise was great. In my opinion, we make the cruise what we want. If you want to let everything that maybe isn't 100% right get to you then you probably will have a bad cruise. There were 3 of us in a junior suite. It was great because of the extra space, including the "walk in " closet. The bath tub was really a non-issue for us. I travel with my 76 year old mother who has had her right and left knees replaced, a hip replacement, and quadruple by-pass surgery. She is only 5 feet 5 inches tall. She had no problems getting into the shower. She did use the handicapped grab bars to get in and out of the tub. The refrigerator in the room kept items maybe tepid. If you want a cold drink, make sure to ask for ice. All 3 of us bought the Replenish package. We all agreed that on future cruises we would buy it again. Total price for the week was $160. Everyday we had fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast. We had our specialty coffee from the Promenade cafe. The nightly shows were okay. As usual, there were chair hogs at the pool. The biggest issue we had was the food and service in the main dinning room for dinner. Orders were wrong, service was extremely slow, food wasn't brought out to everyone at the table at the same time. Our table of 7 spoke multiple times with the head waiter. It got to the point that he was serving us. This was dinner. The head waiter was great in regards to my mother's low sodium diet. Each night he helped her pre-order the next evening's meal so it would be prepared for her dietary needs. Breakfast wasn't much better. As I said at the beginning, this is my opinion and you have to decide whether you want to have a good vacation or not. We chose to have fun with it and to go with the flow. Will this stop us from cruising RCCL in the future? No way! We are already planning our next cruise.

Glad to hear that some help was given to the low sodium diet in the MDR.

I would like to ask if the lineups to obtain tickets to the ice show are really bad? The chair hog problems seems to be on every ship, and not only the pool area.

Thanks for the candid review.

I enjoy when people not only go with the flow, but are smart to make something into a positive experience. Kudos.

Anyone can complain or be negative...it requires no skill or intelligence.

Only a wise person can turn lemon into lemonade.

Well done.

We're looking forward to being on INDY in 70 days ourselves. Already know it will excellent because we will make it that way no matter what.

Thanks for the review. I'm going on this cruise this Saturday. I will not be happy with slow service for dinner. I was on Brilliance in October (Canada/New Eng.) and some nights I thought dinner would never end. I'm just not a fan of two-hour meals.

We will be going on Indy on the 18th also.

Agree with you about the l-o-n-g meals. That is the primary reason we avoid the pay for restaurants. We don't choose to make an "event" of eating. Just our opinion, of course...

Thank you for your cruise review. I have a question about the dinner (long wait). Were you in the late seating or early seating? The reason I ask is because I would like to plan our dinner time reservtion around the shows. If you were early seating, were you late to the show?

We usually choose the late seating, thus the show is first, then dinner, then the late night adult shows.

We are going in April and I cant wait!

Thanks!

Thank you for your cruise review. I have a question about the dinner (long wait). Were you in the late seating or early seating? The reason I ask is because I would like to plan our dinner time reservtion around the shows. If you were early seating, were you late to the show?

We usually choose the late seating, thus the show is first, then dinner, then the late night adult shows.

We are going in April and I cant wait!

Thanks!

We had the early seating. One night dinner took just shy of 2 hours. No one asked for anything the should have caused dinner to be so long. We never had a problem making it to the shows.

I would like to ask if the lineups to obtain tickets to the ice show are really bad? The chair hog problems seems to be on every ship, and not only the pool area.

I'm not much help on the ice show tickets. We totally forgot to get tickets earlier in the day. When we finally remembered they only had tickets for the 6:30 show. We didn't go because we didn't want to eat dinner at 5:00.

We are also leaving on this cruise on Sat. We are doing MTD...have ressies for 6:15-6:30 every night. I wonder how the service was there? I am not a fan of long drawn out dinners, either. Anything over an hour or maybe a bit longer is too long for me. I guess we'll soon find out!:D

We had the early seating. One night dinner took just shy of 2 hours. No one asked for anything the should have caused dinner to be so long. We never had a problem making it to the shows.

We too are on the 18th sailing!!!!

We are MTD and we have found that it's faster than the early and late set dinner times. We will never go back. We actually have found that dinner was "rushed" but would rather feel that way than have a 2 hour dinner!!!!

Anyone on the 18th sailing not on the roll call we are meeting 3ish at the pool bar. Come join us for a drink. Our group will be wearing beads!!!!!

Your situation with the MDR is one reason why after many cruises with RCI we have recently really enjoyed MTD..We also opt for a table for just the two of us or for the # of those sailing with us..seems to have solved any problems...Eat when we want..spending as little time as we need & a variety of servers and table locations. Works out well for us.

Glad you enjoyed the Indy regardless..We've done the 8 nighter a few times on her (eastern caribbean) and it's always been a favorite.

As I said at the beginning, this is my opinion and you have to decide whether you want to have a good vacation or not. We chose to have fun with it and to go with the flow. Will this stop us from cruising RCCL in the future? No way! We are already planning our next cruise.

Thanks for your honest review, love your attitude!! :):)

On an 8 night we've had it either on day 2 or 3 and day 6. I have a bet riding on this. It's usually day 2 for 7 night sailings you are correct....hoping the OP could chime in!!!!

Formal night on the 8 day cruise were on Monday and Thursday. We left on Saturday. I'm still travelng home. I'm tired and can't count days. Sorry.

I'd like to add my experiences, since I was on this cruise, too. So much depends on the staff that you have.

I had MTD, and had the same servers every night. Dinner would be as quick or as prolonged as WE wanted it to be. Our waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter were a fabulous team, and we truly felt waited on hand and foot. Nothing was too much to ask.

The nice thing about the ice show and tickets (which are distributed at 9 a.m. on the second morning) is that there are always people who HAVE tickets but don't show up for one reason or another. There is a standby line, and 5 minutes before the show starts, they let those people in. From my observation, "everyone" "always" gets in.

:)

I have some of the Cruise Compasses, but not all. For the first time EVER, in all of my cruises, my cabin steward threw out some of my papers! :eek:

On the 8 night, formal nights were the standard nights 2 & 6, in this case, Sunday and Thursday.