To anyone on Ruby Princess--URGENT! STUCK ON BALCONY

Wehwalt

Wehwait

I was on the phone with Joanne from Princess while she read the entire thread!! But that was before you mentioned the UST. So hopefully someone from CA will read this and that will be your "compensation".

Glad I was on line and was some help. It is good to know so many CC'ers are out there and willing to help. My problem would be I would get stuck out there and my computer and phone be inside!!!

I had a drink in you honor tonight. "All's well that ends well"!!!

Kathleen.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated. I never felt in danger or even inconvenienced much and it will not ruin my cruise. Hope the drink was good!

A few misconceptions from above:

I did not have my deadbolt on. Part of my purpose in being out there was to be out of the way of cabin attendant, you know how it is. I am not sure it was his fault, as the door may have been jammed. I am somewhat surprised I could find no way in or to contact the crew when I was on the bow. Likely there is a ship's phone out there and I did not notice it.

As they say, worse things happen at sea!

Thanks all. I imagine I will be joshed at the informal meet n greet we are having on Wednesday. No, I'm not planning on asking them for anything. I figured Princess will likely read this thread and if they want to make the UST more likely, that would be cool, but that is as far as I go in that department. There are people who demand OBC for the least inconvenience.

Well said

From reading this experience, I had a thought. Why not have some type of emergency light button on balcony's? I don't know how difficult that would be but imagine a cruiser who didn't have an electronic device with them and stuck on the balcony. This isn't the first time I've read that a person was locked out. Still, just a thought.:)

Having a good flashlight is always on my crusie packing list.

And on mine, one of the several that I keep in case of a blackout. It sat through all of this, plugged in in one of the electrical outlets in the cabin.

I did flash my laptop screen at the bridge, in what I hoped would pass for S O S. They were not watching me.

Edited by Wehwalt

I did flash my laptop screen at the bridge, in what I hoped would pass for S O S. They were not watching me.

Wehwait

Maybe you morsed-coded "come have a cig with me" which may have gotten their attention

OR

They were looking forward and completely missed your SOS!!!

It was a great thought, though. Shows you were calm cool and collected. My type to have in a crisis!!! Would love to meet some day. Saw you are on Pacific out of FLL to Sydney. I was on it but sadly had to cancel.

Kathleen

Wehwait

Maybe you morsed-coded "come have a cig with me" which may have gotten their attention

OR

They were looking forward and completely missed your SOS!!!

It was a great thought, though. Shows you were calm cool and collected. My type to have in a crisis!!! Would love to meet some day. Saw you are on Pacific out of FLL to Sydney. I was on it but sadly had to cancel.

Kathleen

Regrets, still I am sure we will meet.

Not calm and collected enough. What I should have done is climbed back up onto the bow and flashed my laptop at the joggers on the treadmills.

My thoughts exactly

I did. I checked my account yesterday and it looks like the charge is gone, but it might not yet have been posted. When I go downstairs, I'll run my account and hopefully that will confirm it.

The wind was rather severe and it made me reluctant to go back on the bow. I did not think of lowering a piece of furniture but because of the wind probably would not have.

Edited by Wehwalt

As I sit at work in this (boring) conference room, counting the (38) days to my departure, this thread has made for the most exciting Staff Meeting of my career. And no one else in here knows I was an observing near-participant in a rescue at sea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I sit at work in this (boring) conference room, counting the (38) days to my departure, this thread has made for the most exciting Staff Meeting of my career. And no one else in here knows I was an observing near-participant in a rescue at sea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardly a rescue … I could in the worst case have gone down the ladder to the bridge level. However, it did not look safe, especially with the wind. And I'm uncertain what reaction I would have gotten. Especially since I just went and spoke with someone at the Passenger Service's Desk and apparently they will have to get back to me on the internet matter. She did ask me if I had climbed over onto the bow, and I admitted it freely. She said don't do that it's dangerous and I said, don't lock me out on my balcony and I'll promise not to do so. Very unimpressed. If I don't get a "yes" by the time I go to trivia this afternoon will raise hell. I told them all I want is not to suffer expense by being locked out on my balcony, and if I was 80 and in poor health rather than 50 and in good, they'd have an issue on their hand and Princess should not be nickel and diming. Jeez.

Hardly a rescue … I could in the worst case have gone down the ladder to the bridge level. However, it did not look safe, especially with the wind. And I'm uncertain what reaction I would have gotten. Especially since I just went and spoke with someone at the Passenger Service's Desk and apparently they will have to get back to me on the internet matter. She did ask me if I had climbed over onto the bow, and I admitted it freely. She said don't do that it's dangerous and I said, don't lock me out on my balcony and I'll promise not to do so. Very unimpressed. If I don't get a "yes" by the time I go to trivia this afternoon will raise hell. I told them all I want is not to suffer expense by being locked out on my balcony, and if I was 80 and in poor health rather than 50 and in good, they'd have an issue on their hand and Princess should not be nickel and diming. Jeez.

Wehwalt

I am so disappointed at initial response from front desk. Hopefully you will have someone more helpful in the afternoon. Kinda like my call to California. The first gentleman didn't give me a warm fuzzy, promoting me to make the second. It was "Joanne" who kept me on hold while she contacted the ship. She also read your entries - I guess to dispel any chance that I was a prank caller. Loved her attitude. Hopefully you will find your "Joanne" post trivia.

BTW: glad you didn't climb down the ladder while ship was underway!!! I would think you had a good 30 knot wind blowing and generally it seems it is cross the bow.

Keep us posted on the internet issue.

Kathleen

And on mine, one of the several that I keep in case of a blackout. It sat through all of this, plugged in in one of the electrical outlets in the cabin.

Buy yourself a Nitecore P16. It will not only do an automatic SOS, but has a 1 lumen for 520 hour setting and one that is 960 (read car headlight bright) lumens.