Are upper decks better for the Panama Canal?

PunkiC

We are currently on Emerald, but I am thinking of switching.

Ahhh...typos :) The Emerald would get stuck in the locks. :D:D ( I see you are actually on the Island)

Upper decks are ok, but most full transit passengers find that they want to be up on a high deck.

Great views of everything.

Also, it will be hot and humid, so one very popular location on our transit was the forward viewing area in the Lido dining area. (air conditioned)

Have a great trip!

Edited by thinfool

We started very early morning on the crowded upper decks. Actually found the deserted Prom deck was much better, you were almost level with the locks. Far more interesting.

Granted didn't have the same overall view, but you had a very clear view of how the locks worked without the crowds.

Ahhh...typos :) The Emerald would get stuck in the locks. :D:D ( I see you are actually on the Island)

Upper decks are ok, but most full transit passengers find that they want to be up on a high deck.

Great views of everything.

Also, it will be hot and humid, so one very popular location on our transit was the forward viewing area in the Lido dining area. (air conditioned)

Have a great trip!

We were also on the emerald deck but as we didnt have a balcony we went up to the front of the ship on Caribe or Baja (i forget which). IMO this is the best place to be as you have an unobstructed view. It was absolutely freezing and raining for that day, so we were wrapped in pool towels :) Have a great cruise!

No typo...the OP is referring to Emerald Deck! :)

I would agree the best bet is to get out of your cabin and up to the upper decks for the best overall experience.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

The "Secret Decks" at the front of both the Coral and Island make for great viewing through the locks.

From personal experience I know on Baja you go to the front of the hallway (port or starboard are both ok) and just go through the door. Ignore the sign which says something like "Authorized Personnel Only" or "Staff Only". There's a very short hallway and then another door onto the "Secret Deck".

When we did our journey we found other passengers there, bar waiters and the ship's photographer. The forward and side views were outstanding.

BTW, as another poster noted, the humidity is very high. If you don't want your camera lens to fog up, let the camera adjust slowly to the outside temp before you use it, especially if it's coming from your air conditioned cabin. I found that leaving the camera, with lens cap on, on our balcony for about a half-hour did the trick.

Canal day, full or partial transit, is just a day. Your cabin selection should be based on the rest of the cruise itself as you will likely spend very little time sitting on your balcony on canal day.

You will likely spend most of canal day moving around the ship. Popular places are the fore & aft observation areas on Caribe & Baja. Even the promenade deck will give you a close up view of the locks on entering/exit.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

Once on Emerald deck and once on the Celebrity Summit equilivent of Dolphin. Both times we had true aft facing balconies and the view was great. I did venture up to the open decks to see what was going on and get a couple of drinks. Both times it was a zoo! At least 2/3rds of the passengers were trying to get space on the railing to see stuff. I opted for a bottle of wine the first time and we enjoyed it on the privacy of our own balcony.

I was all over the ship for a full transit, a different spot for almost each of the 6 locks! but for a partial I'd stick to being lower to get a better feel for the size and 'tight fit'.

Can get a good idea of the tight fit from the top also

1755502487_04111_23.02PortsideclearanceinP.MiguellockJ018_15.jpg.aa60aa23b77ed72d352f75e9c5fd105c.jpg

Any deck is good.

However its great to move around the ship and experience it from the Promenade deck, deck 5 atrium, and also in the dining rooms when the lock walls are the only thing you can see through the windows!

The open viewing areas forward and aft as well. Great perspective's all over. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The emerald deck has a wonderful observation deck at the stern.

I would work my way around the ship. The top decks are great for viewing, but the Promenade can get you right up against the walls of the locks.

The viewing decks forward (the "secret decks") tend to get crowded.

The aft deck on the Emerald was never crowded and you can see everything around you from both sides of the ship.

If you are familiar with the canal and what you will be seeing, you can better plan your time.

We went from south to north and hit the lake right about lunch time-perfect for hitting the HC.

Going the other way eliminates that option.

The best strategy is to move around during the day.

I agree. If you stay on your balcony, you won't hear the commentary and information during transit and your view will be limited. Far better to be up on deck and moving around.

I've done a full/partial transit a number of times on both HAL and Princess. The most recent was October 2012 and I had an oceanview cabin to save money and booked the Sanctuary, including the extra charge for transit day. Much cheaper than a balcony and I had spectacular views aft, to the sides and even forward at times. Attendants to bring iced cloths, food, drinks, etc. It was a great treat. :)

Edited by Pam in CA

Moving around the ship is definitely the best way to experience the Pamana Canal. The "secret door" on Baja and Caribe is best for watching the ship enter the Canal. Deck 15 midship is great to get an overall feel of the ship moving through the Canal. Promenade deck is the best for getting up close and personal with the Canal, especially after the water has lowered and you can almost touch the walls on the Canal. Here are a few photos to demonstrate:

7222415282_f5910d5fa8_z.jpg

Panama Canal: Gatun Locks by Jasperdo, on Flickr

7228437002_e50caba7de_z.jpg

7234853258_91b9275105_z.jpg

7234855264_1999c5ae34_z.jpg

8211553881_51d63b66cc_z.jpg

Panama Canal: Pedro Miguel Lock by Jasperdo, on Flickr

8211535849_837e1a0c54_z.jpg

Panama Canal: Pedro Miguel Lock by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Edited by Jasperdo

We have done the canal three times and one thing we learned early on, was that everything looks different if you view the locks from different viewpoints. You want to be low to experience the locks, on Caribe front and aft when the ship is being raised or lowered, and up high to see everything. It is a great experience and it is sad to hear when someone tells us they watched from their balcony and wondered what all the fuss was about.

We have done a partial transit in one of the Emerald deck (8) aft fully covered balconies (a great location for the rest of the cruise). We also did a full transit in a Plaza deck (5) ocean view (look out your cabin window as your cabin drops two deck below the surface - that is up close and personal). For the transit you will want to move around the ship to get good views. It was a very hot day on our last cruise and we spent a lot of time forward in the Horizon Court. It was nice and cool but the front windows gave us a very good view (we didn't hog a table right at the windows and shared our table with others as they would come and go) and we could go out the door on either side for a better view.

I think everyone has answered your question well. Personally, I'd maybe pick a mini suite forward on Baja so I could go between my cabin balcony and the secret door forward area. You can also go up to Lido forward or go down to the Promenade deck very easily. I had a great mid-ship cabin on Dolphin the last time I did the Canal and it was very interesting being on a lower deck, so Emerald would likely be an interesting location.

Anyone have any photos of the secrete door and viewing deck on the Baja on the Island?

Thanks!

Tom:)

Here's a few photos of the secret door and viewing area on the Coral Princess, the identical sister ship of the Island. Just go all the way forward on either Baja or Caribe deck and you'll get there:

7441484386_2773719815_z.jpg

Coral Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

7234851854_1163e667f9_z.jpg

7802794996_06cc638df0_z.jpg

Panama Canal: Culebra Cut by Jasperdo, on Flickr