Food - what happened?

AdvGirl

My last RCL cruise was in 2001 on the Voyager of the seas. I took my family and really enjoyed the cruise the food was good to a few dishes being amazing (grand manier soufflé and chocolate soufflé) - I still remember how much I enjoyed these two desserts. If there was anything to dislike I can not remember what it was. Fast forward to liberty of the seas - the only good food I remember on the trip was in Portofino and Chops - almost everything else was marginal to down right not appetizing - I am not a foody and am pretty forgiving and tolerant of food in general. So for me to complain means the food was really sub standard. Even Miso soup broth was very unappetizing. What happened RCL - please raise the standards - other then food I really enjoyed the cruise. Looks like if I go again I will need more nights in the up charge reasturants.

My last RCL cruise was in 2001 on the Voyager of the seas. I took my family and really enjoyed the cruise the food was good to a few dishes being amazing (grand manier soufflé and chocolate soufflé) - I still remember how much I enjoyed these two desserts. If there was anything to dislike I can not remember what it was. Fast forward to liberty of the seas - the only good food I remember on the trip was in Portofino and Chops - almost everything else was marginal to down right not appetizing - I am not a foody and am pretty forgiving and tolerant of food in general. So for me to complain means the food was really sub standard. Even Miso soup broth was very unappetizing. What happened RCL - please raise the standards - other then food I really enjoyed the cruise. Looks like if I go again I will need more nights in the up charge reasturants.

13 years, and a major market shift from a once-in-a-lifetime experience to a mass market/grow the customer base/fill the ships every cruise strategy.

When we first cruised in 1986, the food was so good, we not only kept the menus, but we had them framed. Now we take a quick look at the menus and most evenings go to the WJ instead.

We just got off the Liberty and was quite pleased with the good in the MDR. We thought the food on the Allure in September was awful as well as the Vision. Honestly I think some of the chefs on other ships need to get training from the chefs on the Liberty!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Colorado Babe

We just got off the Liberty and was quite pleased with the good in the MDR. We thought the food on the Allure in September was awful as well as the Vision. Honestly I think some of the chefs on other ships need to get training from the chefs on the Liberty!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think all the dessert/pastry chefs on RCI need a good old southern baking course. ;)

It drives me nuts already reading "food is subjective."

Yes, taste is subjective. Quality really isn't... Maybe you think it's fine, but it isn't near same quality food it used to be. The drop in quality is pathetic. You have to pay for specialty restaurants if you want a decent quality meal.

There is MDR food that tastes fine, but it is not good quality food. They've cut portions, which is totally fine, except they also significantly cut the quality of the meats and added a lot of cheap carbs and pastas.

I love every other aspect of Royal Caribbean and I guess I would be called a cheerleader, but it does bother me that they're cut the service and quality in the dining room to the point where we eat more than half of the nights in specialty restaurants. I'm just absolutely not going to waste 2+ hours for luke-warm food that you would find at an American food chain like Applebee's.

We started cruising in 2002. I was really impressed by the food and food choices. We have noticed a definite decline in the items offered on a menu as well as the food quality itself. Now, I'm not saying there is never anything good, it's just rare that there is anything impressive. I also think it is disappointing that you now have to go to dining for fee option to get that "WOW" factor in an on board meal. I remember one cruise where the best options one night was pork chops or meatloaf. Meatloaf?? Really?? I remember our lovely server being so concerned because we didn't finish our dinners. There was just nothing about the meal I wanted to finish. If I wanted meals like this, I would have stayed home. Royal Caribbean really does need to take a better look at the food quality and choices.

And to oneputt18, no my recent cruises don't even come close to what I paid back in 2002. I have since become a suite snob and pay for the quality I have come to expect from a cruise company. And sadly Royal has slipped.

Edited by Kevin's girl

It drives me nuts already reading "food is subjective."

Yes, taste is subjective. Quality really isn't... Maybe you think it's fine, but it isn't near same quality food it used to be. The drop in quality is pathetic. You have to pay for specialty restaurants if you want a decent quality meal.

There is MDR food that tastes fine, but it is not good quality food. They've cut portions, which is totally fine, except they also significantly cut the quality of the meats and added a lot of cheap carbs and pastas.

I love every other aspect of Royal Caribbean and I guess I would be called a cheerleader, but it does bother me that they're cut the service and quality in the dining room to the point where we eat more than half of the nights in specialty restaurants. I'm just absolutely not going to waste 2+ hours for luke-warm food that you would find at an American food chain like Applebee's.

+4 Thats exactly how we feel as well, right down to the Applebee's reference. I like the RCI value and consider itinerary more important but I wouldnt mind paying more for a better dinning experience.

Gotta be a matter of perspective.

Our first cruise was also in 2001. I didn't think much of food on that trip (nor did I expect much), and ever since then, it's gotten better.

It does help that the new menu really fit our lifestyle- more fish and smaller plates. We are lucky ones, I guess.

Edited by alfaeric

Completely agree with the OP. 20+ yrs ago the food on cruise ships was exceptional and that's what they were "known" for.

I've said it before...the food we now have to pay for at Chops and all the other specialty restaurants was the food we used to receive in the MDR each night.

However....we're leaving on the Brilliance Feb 6th for a quick 4 day...our first cruise was in 1992...a 4 day on Carnival....I save all of my paperwork and we're only paying $29 more per person now than we paid in 1992 on Carnival.

So something has gotta give and unfortunately it's the quality of the food.

We're just happy we can eat at the specialty restaurants a few times since we really do enjoy the dining experience.

We've seen this drop in MDR food quality on every line we've sailed...Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Princess and HAL. But it doesn't stop us from going.:)

I'll report back after our cruise on Brilliance.

Edited by styles27

My wife and I had given up on RCL after five cruises (2011 -- 2004) because the food was not great. We then started alternating between Holland America and Celebrity, but HAL's been on a four year slide and we dropped them.

We tried the Radiance again in 2009 and were surprised that things had improved greatly. In 2012 we tried the Allure and thought the food was pretty good and was now better than Princess.

RCI owns Celebrity and it's perhaps is one of the few mass-market lines that consistently has excellent cuisine.

We have four cruises coming up: three on Celebrity and one on Royal Caribbean.

After 51 cruises you start getting a feel for the "ebb and flow" of food quality on cruise ships. Quality control is a bit different on each ship, but the raw ingredients shipped to each ship within each company is pretty consistent.

For food, I recommend Oceania, Azamara, Celebrity Aqua Class, Celebrity, Cunard MDR only, Royal Caribbean MDR +all alternative restaurants.

HAL and Princess are okay; if I were to cruise NCL again, I would eat every meal in their alternative restaurants.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

I enjoy both the key lime pie and the lemon merangue (sp) pie. Crust was excellent and flakey on Indy last week. We have not gone to the MDR on our last 5 or 6 cruises. . We find the Windjammer at dinner provides some excellent food and a great variety in a quiet, leisurely atmosphere. Our service in the WJ was outstanding.

I don't mind what they have done, but I would like more options for dining at specialty restaurants. On our last cruise, we could only get one night in each even though we would have liked more. I don't mind paying extra. Some people pay extra for spa services, etc. I would pay extra each night for a truly wonderful dining experience.

And yes, please don't white tablecloth me and then offer meatloaf or fajitas and take 2 hours.

Well said , i believe you pay a good price you expect good quality of food and service to go with it, i must say this is my 1st time sailing With RCL and the menus are shocking compared to princess of costa,just by looking at menus they offer a better variety.

Edited by Deb24370

Well said , i believe you pay a good price you expect good quality of food and service to go with it, i must say this is my 1st time sailing With RCL and the menus are shocking compared to princess of costa,just by looking at menus they offer a better variety.

Who offers better variety, RCI or Princess/Costa?

On my second cruise, I was disappointed with food and selections in the WJ. But maybe that was because the cruise was 15 nights and when we got to the second week, I'd seen it all. Still, I think they can provide good food and you shouldn't have to go to the speciality restaurants to get it.