List your top 3 changes you would like to see

baytraller

So Softsands,

From you I quote, "Oh please...who says Seabourn isn't right for my kid? If I can pay the freight, Seabourn can carry the weight. (and I hope we all sit RIGHT beside you...on a bad kid day, to boot"

I rest my case.

Happy sailing on HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, Princess or wherever. I expect that they get your message. They probably hear it all the time.

You left out

The Woolwich Ferry

1. Another vote for no smoking. A large number of guests exit the Observation Bar when the smoke accumulates. A few guests are oppressing the vast majority.

2. Restaurant 2: It's just not working. There are lots of empty tables every night except for the Signature dinners. The small plates theme does not appeal to the typical customer. Execution is sketchy.

3. Make the food more adventurous. The menu should include more ethnic options, and then the chef should get it right. With so many dishes on the menu, there should be room for something that is challenging to the taste buds of the passengers.

Good god, try to get used to the fact that you are no longer in the San Francisco area. Not that I disagree with point number 1.

It's a vote for trying to satisfy 400+ people. I guess they decided on bland and boring rather than Ethiopian or whatever else you Bay area wackos are feasting on at the moment. Written with a smile, but you get the point. I think the intent of R2 was to satisfy this crowd. Fact is, you can order off menu anytime and they will do their best to please.

Edited by oregon50

It's a vote for trying to satisfy 400+ people. I guess they decided on bland and boring rather than Ethiopian or whatever else you Bay area wackos are feasting on at the moment. Written with a smile, but you get the point. I think the intent of R2 was to satisfy this crowd. Fact is, you can order off menu anytime and they will do their best to please.

People from the bay area don't eat. We're all Breatharians.;)

It just seems that the menus currently cater more towards bland and even when you order off the menu they treat heat and spice as if they were toxic in any quantity.

To Oregon50: I am very sorry if I offended you with my opinions. Perhaps I was a little too harsh. I am sorry if I appear a wacko; I may be a little eccentric, but I don't think I am a wacko. I did write about my own personal experience. I am currently oh the Sojourn and Resto 2 does indeed often have many empty tables, which is a measure of something. Many other passengers have commented that the small plates idea does not appeal. I would not recommend that the small plates be replaced by Ethiopian cuisine; others on this thread have made some good suggestions. And we did indeed try to order off menu several times and were not accommodated for a handful of different reasons.

Is this a vote for bland/boring food? :eek:

Not at all. I agree that when 'ethnic' foods are on the menu they are usually not spicy enough for most of us.

I would again say that the reason restaurant 2 on the bigger ships tends to be underused is (apart from the fact that to me the decor is pretty horrible) those outdated tasting menus. Several types of co-ordinated menu, from different cuisines, put on for say 3 or 4 days at a time would mean that most people could dine there with a menu they would enjoy.

I do think Ethopian, if that is the current rave in San Francisco, would have limited appeal, but there are some lovely Indian, Middle Eastern, Asian and possibly other styles which would have wide appeal. Anyone agree?:)

There were five menus that rotated on the Sojourn last month.

Only two of the menus were any good and worth trying.So the restaurant was quit empty for three of the menu options.

Time for a re-think with this space.

Edited by Mr Luxury

For many years I have suggested to Seabourn Hotel Management that R2 could satisfy with a rotating Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Moroccan and Spanish menu. They could also do their Signature Menu once or twice a week as they do now. Small portions exquisitely created in that calm environment would be a complement to the more robust themed dinners of the Colonnade.

That's my vote.

Happy sailing!

We have just come back from a no fly cruise to the Canaries - not very exciting, admittedly, but just a getaway in January to avoid some of the weather.

There were a few things which impressed us (only real problem was the ship was very full, meaning public rooms were crowded), and we were pleasantly surprised (it was Saga Sapphire). The croissants were kept warm - and choices of fruit etc. just as good as SB - and instead of the irritating little packets of sugar they provided well refilled sugar bowls of white and brown sugar (covered) on the tables, etc. etc.

However, the point of putting this post here is that it has an Asian restaurant, East to West, holding about 70 people out of 700 on board, with a menu with about 5 choices on each course of Chinese/Thai/Malaysian type dishes. It was full every evening - we managed to go twice in two weeks, and the food was exquisite, served with chopsticks if you could manage them. The menu did not change, but one could easily have dined there on more occasions given the choices. Also the room itself was attractive, and the serving staff wonderful. Apart from decent wines being extra it was every bit as good as the experience on Seabourn resto 2, and in our opinion better.

Hopefully,Markham, if several people bang on about this topic management might take some notice?

We have just come back from a no fly cruise to the Canaries - not very exciting, admittedly, but just a getaway in January to avoid some of the weather.

There were a few things which impressed us (only real problem was the ship was very full, meaning public rooms were crowded), and we were pleasantly surprised (it was Saga Sapphire). The croissants were kept warm - and choices of fruit etc. just as good as SB - and instead of the irritating little packets of sugar they provided well refilled sugar bowls of white and brown sugar (covered) on the tables, etc. etc.

However, the point of putting this post here is that it has an Asian restaurant, East to West, holding about 70 people out of 700 on board, with a menu with about 5 choices on each course of Chinese/Thai/Malaysian type dishes. It was full every evening - we managed to go twice in two weeks, and the food was exquisite, served with chopsticks if you could manage them. The menu did not change, but one could easily have dined there on more occasions given the choices. Also the room itself was attractive, and the serving staff wonderful. Apart from decent wines being extra it was every bit as good as the experience on Seabourn resto 2, and in our opinion better.

Hopefully,Markham, if several people bang on about this topic management might take some notice?

Does this mean that you will be back on the floating old peoples home again?

The sugar thing is still not as hygienic as an unopened packet but i know what you mean about this.

Could you get a room temperature croissant if you wanted one or were they all warm?

Mr L - no, we won't, but the main reason was the overoccupation of public rooms. Otherwise we were very pleasantly surprised, particularly by the charm and efficiency of the staff and the standard of the food.

I always put the croissants in the oven for 10 minutes at home, and prefer them warm. The Seabourn ones are acceptable - the almond ones very good - but personally I would prefer to have them warm. Chacun a son gout.

The Seabourn croissants are too large.

I'm pleased to hear the positive reports about the Saga Sapphire. We saw a documentary programme about the ship a few months ago, and were impressed enough to make a mental note to consider the line for future cruises.

As I'm getting older - although not quite at Mr L's "old people's home" stage yet :D - I am finding the whole airport and flying experience to be increasingly tedious. It would be wonderful to be able to get some winter sun without a flight being involved.

Of course, we are badly situated geographically on this cold wet little island of ours, and for the Canary Islands or Madeira, avoiding a flight would mean navigating the dreaded Bay of Biscay.

How did the Sapphire handle the seas?

Ravenscroft - I thought she handled it pretty well, and it was rough going across the Bay. But we are good sailors.

TBH, the main reason for not sailing on her again was the number (700 and full). Friends went on with 600 and it was fine. But also, it was at times a bit like being in God's waiting room, which my DH found depressing. The clientele seems to vary from retired Colonels and their good ladies to ladies who are a bit like Les Dawson in Cissie and Ada - remember them? Obviously Saga are going to fill the ship up if they can, so while we would probably go again if we knew only 600 would be aboard, naturally this will not often happen and cannot be guaranteed. A shame, because so much was really good.

Hope this helps, and I have not been too rude or snobby.

Restaurant 2 is a specialty restaurant. It seems most people are only happy when the alternatives are a steak house or an Italian restaurant. Talk about boring! I give SB credit for trying something different. If they change the format I hope they try something else that's a departure from the norm.

Restaurant 2 is a specialty restaurant. It seems most people are only happy when the alternatives are a steak house or an Italian restaurant. Talk about boring! I give SB credit for trying something different. If they change the format I hope they try something else that's a departure from the norm.

Something different would be good, but not hot-rocks different. I'd rather not have to chase my food around the room before wrestling it down and tossing it on a searing hot stone (that is prone to explode if someone spills a cold liquid on it).

KFC ?

I think a Chinese or Sushi type cuisine.

I have enjoyed many good meals in R2 but it's had its day.

KFC ?

I think a Chinese or Sushi type cuisine.

I have enjoyed many good meals in R2 but it's had its day.

Everyone says they want something different for an alternate dining venue, yet for what seems like a large number of cruisers "different" = steak/Italian/Asian.

To (badly) paraphrase Jack Nicholson from a Few Good Men "You want the taste!?, You can't handle the taste!"

Edited by baychilla