List your top 3 changes you would like to see

baytraller

Agreed - but so far we have never found really good 'regular' coffee on any cruise line. Anyone know of a 'luxury' line which does produce really good regular coffee in their restaurants? Funnily enough, the best we have had was on our recent experiment with a very British line, Saga, whose coffee was better than all the others.

The point is ... it should not be that hard. Even McDonalds manages to make better coffee than Seabourn :eek:

The point is ... it should not be that hard. Even McDonalds manages to make better coffee than Seabourn :eek:

That's because in the MDR etc they have a press button machine. There are enough waitstaff that surely they could put a proper machine down there.

I know that depending who was waiting on the back deck at the colonnade at breakfast that someone's coffee was coming from the square :D

That's because in the MDR etc they have a press button machine. There are enough waitstaff that surely they could put a proper machine down there.

I know that depending who was waiting on the back deck at the colonnade at breakfast that someone's coffee was coming from the square :D

I have a cafe press every morning in the restaurant for breakast and then only have coffee from Seabourn square on the larger ships.

I have never drunk any other type of coffee.

Mine has been just fine.

Edited by Mr Luxury

I have a cafe press every morning in the restaurant for breakast and then only have coffee from Seabourn square on the larger ships.

I have never drunk any other type of coffee.

Mine has been just fine.

Coffee is a personal thing. A bit like tea. Other than afternoon it's hard tocome by loose leaf.

A press is certainly the way to avoid the poor excuse of an espresso in the restaurant.

Waldo Jr is even picky about his beans and drinks an espresso style. Coffee snob :)

I have really one request: Be sure to staff your ships with enough crew to provide the service and amenities that have given the line its ranking within the industry.

As for smoking: Anyone notice the CVS stock decline. For a bunch of non-smokers, there seems to be billions still tied to the economy.

To revert to the restaurant 2 suggestions - see latest reports on the Sojourn world cruise - I personally dislike Japanese cuisine, but love other Asian: these could be two themes for special menus in 2, apart from possible European ones.

To those who say the Colonnade does themed evenings, yes, but surely it would not be beyond the wit of man to make sure the restaurants did not have the same theme on the same night?

To revert to the restaurant 2 suggestions - see latest reports on the Sojourn world cruise - I personally dislike Japanese cuisine, but love other Asian: these could be two themes for special menus in 2, apart from possible European ones.

To those who say the Colonnade does themed evenings, yes, but surely it would not be beyond the wit of man to make sure the restaurants did not have the same theme on the same night?

Funny you should mention that.

I have often seen the same thing being served albeit perhaps with a different veg accompaniment both in the restaurant and the colonnade.

Lobster seems to be twinned in both places at the same time.

Beef tenderloin,the list goes on.

Lets have a Pie and Mash evening in R2,

I bet it's full and a waiting list :D

I have really one request: Be sure to staff your ships with enough crew to provide the service and amenities that have given the line its ranking within the industry.

As for smoking: Anyone notice the CVS stock decline. For a bunch of non-smokers, there seems to be billions still tied to the economy.

Great on CVS! Now I can buy the stock at a reduced price. Emotional reaction to their tobacco decision.

I put this in a review for our last cruise. We noticed it happening constantly. If there was roast beef in the MDR there was English cut beef in the Colonnade. When the pool deck was Asian, the Colonnade was Pacific Rim. This was a little annoying as, if you didn't want this, you didn't want either and if you did want it, you had to pick where to eat it.

I suspect this is another efficiency measure Seabourn thought we wouldn't notice.

Whatever changes may be made, I hope SB management does not follow Crystal's strategy of promoting "kids sail free" cruises as per the recent marketing offer below. It is one thing to have a small number of well-behaved children on a cruise. It is quite another to have a huge number that overwhelm limited facilities and ruin your experience, and whose passage you have actually helped subsidize since they are cruising for free..

"Plan your fall escape to Canada & New England now and lock in the very best fares aboard the World’s Best when you book by February 28, 2014! Nowhere else in the world does Mother Nature prepare for winter as she does along these northeastern shores, blanketing world-class cities, historic sites and majestic natural landscapes in vibrant shades of crimson and ochre. From Boston’s Freedom Trail to Nova Scotia’s wildlife trails, Crystal Serenity will embark on her first ever Canada & New England dedicated routes, sailing between New York, Quebec City and Boston on a series of September – October departures that invite Kids to Sail Free!"

I put this in a review for our last cruise. We noticed it happening constantly. If there was roast beef in the MDR there was English cut beef in the Colonnade. When the pool deck was Asian, the Colonnade was Pacific Rim. This was a little annoying as, if you didn't want this, you didn't want either and if you did want it, you had to pick where to eat it.

I suspect this is another efficiency measure Seabourn thought we wouldn't notice.

I have long thought that some of the cooking was done in the main galley for the Colonnade, as these similar meats and fish etc. on the menus on the same evenings are suspicious, and annoying. I must admit I have never actually tackled anyone about it - perhaps it is time we did.

Whatever changes may be made, I hope SB management does not follow Crystal's strategy of promoting "kids sail free" cruises as per the recent marketing offer below. It is one thing to have a small number of well-behaved children on a cruise. It is quite another to have a huge number that overwhelm limited facilities and ruin your experience, and whose passage you have actually helped subsidize since they are cruising for free..

"Plan your fall escape to Canada & New England now and lock in the very best fares aboard the World’s Best when you book by February 28, 2014! Nowhere else in the world does Mother Nature prepare for winter as she does along these northeastern shores, blanketing world-class cities, historic sites and majestic natural landscapes in vibrant shades of crimson and ochre. From Boston’s Freedom Trail to Nova Scotia’s wildlife trails, Crystal Serenity will embark on her first ever Canada & New England dedicated routes, sailing between New York, Quebec City and Boston on a series of September – October departures that invite Kids to Sail Free!"

I did one of Crystals kids sail free. We dubbed the cruise S'S Mickey Mouse (pre-DCL) kids ran amok. Running up/down the halls flipping do not disturb signs. Running and cannonballing into the pools. The worst were the ice fights that had a lot of collateral damage. Neither their parents nor staff would stop them.

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

Yes, they could offer different themes on different nights in R2 and Colonnade but it would still basically new the same restaurant in a different setting. If you're going to change R2 it should offer a new alternative, not a repetition of what already exists.

I did one of Crystals kids sail free. We dubbed the cruise S'S Mickey Mouse (pre-DCL) kids ran amok. Running up/down the halls flipping do not disturb signs. Running and cannonballing into the pools. The worst were the ice fights that had a lot of collateral damage. Neither their parents nor staff would stop them.

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

Which raises the question is a "kids sail free" promotion compatible with a cruise line that markets itself as a luxury line?

Crystal Cruises and "children sail for free" is a deal breaker. Why in the world would I abandon a 5* cruise line such as Seabourn to sail on P&O which I know does this gimmick? Is that Crystal of today?

Sounds stupid and dangerous for the luxury market segment. Smacks of desperation by Crystal. And debilitating for the crew who, like me, expected more.

Crystal? Looks to me as if their faux anytime dining and small cabins have caught up with them.

Happy sailing where your dosh really does buy quality!

Crystal Cruises and "children sail for free" is a deal breaker. Why in the world would I abandon a 5* cruise line such as Seabourn to sail on P&O which I know does this gimmick? Is that Crystal of today?

Markham, I do agree with your sentiments, but in a way it's worse than P&O, because they do at least have one (two?) adults only ships. It makes it ok to market a 'kids sail free' promotion if there are options for guests who don't want to be harrassed by other people's offspring on holiday.

I stand by what I've always said. It's very difficult to provide a luxury cruise experience when guests are bothered by infants wearing nappies (diapers) in the pool, kids running round the pool deck and perfoming pool bombs, kids running up and down the corridors and screaming babies at dinner in what is supposed to be a fine dining environment. I've experienced all of those except the nappy wearing infants. :mad:

I am NOT blaming kids for this behaviour. They're just kids. It's up to parents to teach their children how to behave appropriately.

Since some other post seems to have vanished -

Once upon a time I sailed on the Crystal Harmony. This turned out to be a kids sail free cruise. There appeared to be more kids than adults. Further the kids would run up/down the halls, flip do not disturb signs, steal breakfast orders and the like. These same children would run wherever they wanted. Running on the pool deck was fine. Cannonballing into other passengers was fine. Their ice fights with massive collateral damage were fine. Crystal did nothing to curtail these mini monsters and their parents thought their behavior was hilarious. The only time the parents got upset was when I (or other passengers) threatened to take their kids to task.

You can compare/contrast this with recent first time cruiser Able Seaman Hs daughter who from all reports was very well behaved. Im guessing if more parents were like him (& his wife) and more young passengers were like her people wouldn't go nuclear on the subject of children.

You can compare/contrast this with recent first time cruiser Able Seaman Hs daughter who from all reports was very well behaved. Im guessing if more parents were like him (& his wife) and more young passengers were like her people wouldn't go nuclear on the subject of children.

I absolutely agree.

Parents should know their own children. If they're likely to get bored or run amok because of overexcitement then a luxury cruise isn't the right holiday for them. Same applies if the parents can't be bothered to watch their kids properly.

I have no problem being around well behaved children, and would be happy to have one or two onboard like Henry's daughter.

Edited by Nigella

I absolutely agree.

Parents should know their own children. If they're likely to get bored or run amok because of overexcitement then a luxury cruise isn't the right holiday for them. Same applies if the parents can't be bothered to watch their kids properly.

I have no problem being around well behaved children, and would be happy to have one or two onboard like Henry's daughter.

I also agree. I've cruised with a number of amazing children who were absolutely delightful.

But one of the challenges of offering a "kids sail free" promotion is that if it attracts too many children, it significantly increases the likelihood of unruly behaviour, and can change the atmosphere of the entire cruise.

I also agree. I've cruised with a number of amazing children who were absolutely delightful.

But one of the challenges of offering a "kids sail free" promotion is that if it attracts too many children, it significantly increases the likelihood of unruly behaviour, and can change the atmosphere of the entire cruise.

Absolutely. I had a quick read of the thread on the Crystal board and I see several posters stating that there won't be many kids on the New England/Canada cruise because it's during school term time. That's fine for the over 5 kids, but I'm assuming kids in the US aren't obliged to attend school any younger than that. Therefore some parents will still take babies and toddlers.

I'm kind of hoping - it's just a dream, I know - that Seabourn will announce that the new ship, or ONE of the big sisters is to be a family ship but that children won't be allowed on any of the others.

I absolutely agree.

The problem I have encountered on luxury lines is that virtually all the parents think they are perfect parents and their children are perfect children. Regardless of the misbehaviour and chaos in which they are involved.:eek::D