Cabin Reassigned

Lisah101

I logged in today to order luggage tags and noticed they moved our room from the aft all the way forward. There was no change in category, only the location. I was on hold for almost an hour only to be told to wait for a supervisor. Its now been 1 hr 22 min and still holding.

We booked the aft of the ship for a reason and am not really happy at the moment. The cabin we selected is no longer available, holding for this long plus the move itself, from one end to the other is a LOOOOOOOONg distance apart.

Is this common? This is my 8th cruise (first on Celebrity) and have never had this happen before.

March 21 Pacific Coastal cruise on Century.

I logged in today to order luggage tags and noticed they moved our room from the aft all the way forward. There was no change in category, only the location. I was on hold for almost an hour only to be told to wait for a supervisor. Its now been 1 hr 22 min and still holding.

We booked the aft of the ship for a reason and am not really happy at the moment. The cabin we selected is no longer available, holding for this long plus the move itself, from one end to the other is a LOOOOOOOONg distance apart.

Is this common? This is my 8th cruise (first on Celebrity) and have never had this happen before.

March 21 Pacific Coastal cruise on Century.

Was this after final payment?

This was after final payment and we did NOT book a GTY, we choose our room location very carefully. we booked directly on Celebrity website.

1 hour, 40 min and still on hold!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edited by Lisah101

This was after final payment and we did NOT book a GTY, we choose our room location very carefully.

1 hour, 40 min and still on hold!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Like the other poster asked...was this booked through Celebrity?

Was it possibly an upgrade?

Edited by 20pluscruises

That's one reason I always book with a TA. One time RCCL wanted to change our hotel in San Juan to a not-as-nice one 20 miles away from the pier and she headed them off. I've never had a problem with Celebrity in my 12 cruises with them, but I would be very upset if this happened.

I think they are more likely to tell a TA what's happening first and not just do it without your knowledge.

It isn't common but it isn't unheard of either. It has happened to several cruise critic posters. Sometimes we don't figure our the reason why or can only guess. In one instance it was because of persistent problems with a room, do many complaints that they essentially removed it from the inventory until they could fix it. In another case it was that a large family group booked a series of side by side cabins and the one in question was "in the way" so to speak. Sometimes nobody can figure out if it was some sort of computer glitch. We feel your pain. Stick with trying to get it resolved and if you can't get that stateroom back push to get an acceptable alternative.

Edited by cruisestitch

Wow. I would be upset also unless they have given you a substantial upgrade. Celebrity has never done that to us but they have (choice air) changed our flight times once without notice. To be put on hold this long is something I have complained about in the past. Poor example of customer service.

I still love Celebrity but they had better pull up there socks on this one.

Once you talk to the Supervisor, I would point out that :

1) this is not a good introduction to Celebrity.

2) have they moved you because you are new to Celebrity, in favour of someone who is in the Captain's Club ( seasoned Celebrity Cruisers)

3) Ask for an upgrade, or at least OBC for the inconvenience.

4) tell them you don't want a forward cabin( more movement in rough seas- ask for at least a midship cabin, if they can't put you in your aft choice)

Someone finally came on the line to tell me they couldn't help me, but promised that someone would call me back when a supervisor "becomes available".

they did say they think we did it ourselves online when we printed out our e-docs so it might be our fault. I just checked our e-docs and they have our old room number (the one we wanted) so now I'm really confused and not happy.

Guess I get to wait for the phone to ring, but given that is what they are saying, feeling like I might be stuck.

We had wanted to go through all the cruise lines and find one that fit us because we really do like this type of vacation. First Celebrity cruise may be the last!

I would ask them to send an email and show you where you re-assigned the cabin. I would also point out that you have a copy of the cabin number with final payment. Then I would ask for an upgrade if the original cabin is not available. I think this is the least they could/should do.

Keep us posted!

Fingers crossed!

they did say they think we did it ourselves online when we printed out our e-docs so it might be our fault. I just checked our e-docs and they have our old room number (the one we wanted) so now I'm really confused and not happy.

This excuse has been rolled out before, by Celebrity on these boards.

Translated, it means we haven't a clue!

Someone finally came on the line to tell me they couldn't help me, but promised that someone would call me back when a supervisor "becomes available".

Guess I get to wait for the phone to ring, but given that is what they are saying, feeling like I might be stuck.

We had wanted to go through all the cruise lines and find one that fit us because we really do like this type of vacation. First Celebrity cruise may be the last!

Hope everything works out for you.

Poppycock! Don't let Celebrity imply that YOU changed anything since it is listed in your edocs. Sounds to me like someone else was waiting int he wings for this cabin and Celebrity complied. I would holler long and loud about this problem - should never happen. If they don't call in an hour, call back. I can't imagine there isn't a supervisor someplace.

You might also want to e-mail the CEO's office over this procedure......

I suggest that you look at cabin availability for your cruise, e.g. via the xxocity or xxpedia sites, which give you an overview of what cabins are vacant. See if there is one in the same category near to the one you'd booked that's acceptable to you and ask for it. If none in your category, do come up with a list of other, higher category cabins that would work for you and plead your case pleasantly. Emphasize that this is your first Celebrity cruise, explain how you carefully selected your cabin and how disappointed you are to find it's no longer yours. Have your documentation at hand.

Try to stay calm and sweet...Good Luck!

OK, final word, they insist we did it when we completed the e-docs. They refused to consider moving anyone else to swap cabins, but told us they would "upgrade" us for $679 to a balcony at the aft of the ship. We did get a great rate for an inside of $479 a person so to pay $679 more is not an option for a quick west coast cruise.

We have almost always had balconies, but for this cruise, didn't feel the value was there as there is only one sea day. This was our first inside room.

The supervisor was felt a bit heavy handed in the upgrade offer and I kept saying, I don't want an upgrade, just an aft inside room, even on a lower floor.

He insisted my only option to move was to pay $679 at which point I honestly got so upset I hung up before I said something inappropriate.

Edited by Lisah101

I suggest that you look at cabin availability for your cruise, e.g. via the xxocity or xxpedia sites, which give you an overview of what cabins are vacant. See if there is one in the same category near to the one you'd booked that's acceptable to you and ask for it. If none in your category, do come up with a list of other, higher category cabins that would work for you and plead your case pleasantly. Emphasize that this is your first Celebrity cruise, explain how you carefully selected your cabin and how disappointed you are to find it's no longer yours. Have your documentation at hand.

Try to stay calm and sweet...Good Luck!

Very good advice. Prepare! Find some cabin numbers that could work for you and are available even if they would mean an upgrade. Also, start documenting carefully, time on hold, who you talked to, what they said. What time they actually call back.... etc.

You might need all this info later.

And, do keep us posted as to how this all works out.

Edited by monicajay

OK, final word, they insist we did it when we completed the e-docs. They refused to consider moving anyone else to swap cabins, but told us they would "upgrade" us for $679 to a balcony at the aft of the ship. We did get a great rate for an inside of $479 a person so to pay $679 more is not an option for a quick west coast cruise.

We have almost always had balconies, but for this cruise, didn't feel the value was there as there is only one sea day. This was our first inside room.

The supervisor was felt a bit heavy handed in the upgrade offer and I kept saying, I don't want an upgrade, just an aft inside room, even on a lower floor.

He insisted my only option to move was to pay $679 at which point I honestly got so upset I hung up before I said something inappropriate.

I would call back and ask to speak to the Supervisor's supervisor...that is unbelievable!!!! It almost sounds like a bait and switch...and I'm sure Celebrity would not want anyone to think that was the case

Sorry this happened to you; it should not have been done. Try calling the resolutions department - they sometimes are helpful whereas the regular customer service people are unfortunately often useless. Celebrity messed up and needs to make it right - IMHO you deserve some OBC or a complimentary upgrade. Good luck and be persistent and assertive and hopefully you'll have a favorable outcome.

Very good advice. Prepare! Find some cabin numbers that could work for you and are available even if they would mean an upgrade. Also, start documenting carefully, time on hold, who you talked to, what they said. What time they actually call back.... etc.

You might need all this info later.

And, do keep us posted as to how this all works out.

Again, very good advice.:)

As you will find out OP, if you are not happy with one Celebrity customer service person's response,

call back (in a day or so) and speak to another person. You may get an entirely different answer.

Just wondering if it may be worth upgrading to an OV so that you can take advantage of the free drink program.

Good luck.