"I wish I had remembered..."

taylor316

I have a Travel Box which I keep under the bed. In it is the travel alarm, small zip loc bags with OTC meds in one, and highlighter, pen , post it pad, sewing kit, eyeglass repair kit, folding scissors, in another, travel umbrella, luggage tags, etc.

I just pull it out and take out what I usually take for a cruise. I also have plug converters and a curling iron I bought in Europe for when we used to travel overseas.

Makes packing a breeze. Only thing I really need to remember is to have fun!!

I have the same thing - it has my security money holders, packable sun hat, passport holders, lanyards for my key cards, umbrellas, ponchos, luggage scale, bag tags, TSA locks, electrical adapters/extension cords, multi-port charger for all the elctronics, etc.

Makes it very convenient for packing!

Room spray! We often have an inside cabin and that can make for some pretty close quarters so a good odor-eliminating spray for use in the bathroom is essential. We take an orange spray bought at Trader Joe's. It's non-aerosol so doesn't bother TSA and doesn't leave the room smelling like a rose covered port-a-potty. :)

I have a Travel Box which I keep under the bed. In it is the travel alarm, small zip loc bags with OTC meds in one, and highlighter, pen , post it pad, sewing kit, eyeglass repair kit, folding scissors, in another, travel umbrella, luggage tags, etc.

I just pull it out and take out what I usually take for a cruise. I also have plug converters and a curling iron I bought in Europe for when we used to travel overseas.

Makes packing a breeze. Only thing I really need to remember is to have fun!!

When I get home from a cruise, I put all of the little stuff I'll take on the next trip in my carryon bag. The stuff I didn't use goes back into the household closets.

During the cruise, if I think of something I might need the next time, I make a list of those items.

Nowadays I pretty much remember everything.... especially the Kitchen Sink.....

Room spray! We often have an inside cabin and that can make for some pretty close quarters so a good odor-eliminating spray for use in the bathroom is essential. We take an orange spray bought at Trader Joe's. It's non-aerosol so doesn't bother TSA and doesn't leave the room smelling like a rose covered port-a-potty. :)

Yankee car jar to hang in the cabin bathroom. Some of those bathrooms are sooooooo stinky (before you use them!). :(

These are great suggestions. In 2010 we cruised on the Emerald Princess, in a stateroom on a lower deck. The toilet stunk badly. Thankfully in the sundry store, they had a small can of orange scented room deodorizer that worked really well. We had the same issue on Enchantment last June though and the sundry store didn't carry any such spray.

So, to you two posters, or anyone who knows: Does TSA take issue with an aerosol in checked bags, or is the pressure on the aircraft an issue? I mean, don't ladies pack hairspray?

Also, does the hanging deodorizer work? I never thought to do that. :)

On other things I "wish I'd remembered"....I wish I'd remembered to remove my seapass from the pocket of my bathing suit before I took a swim in the sea in Antigua on my cruise in 2011. Especially after I gave my girlfriend grief for losing her sunglasses in the same sea. Talk about eating one's foot. Thank heaven I "did remember" to bring a copy of my passport photo page in my beach bag...which enabled me to get back on the ship without much hassle.

Edited by Worn out mailman

I have only cruised once in the winter, and living in the north east I don't wear my flip flops much in the winter and they all get thrown in a big milk crate in my closet in late September. Lets just say I brought two left flip flops on that cruise. Only vacation I had ever tried to "downsize" on packing in my life and only packed 4 pairs of shoes and I packed two left flip flops as one pair. Luckily one of my other pairs of sandals could be worn to the beach!

Edited by musik07

Also, one cruise I forgot a pen, actually didn't pack it cause I almost always got one in the cabin, then suddenly, they stopped offering them, and I was without a pen for a few days, till I convinced my cabin attendant to part with one! ;)

Next time that happens, remember that if you order a drink in a bar, they give you a free pen. :D

A couple of medium-sized binder clips have myriad uses: holding curtains closed, work like clothes pins securing swim suits to the line in the shower, secure charger cords into a specific spot so you can always find them, etc.

binder-clip-power-cord-holder.jpg

This trick also works as a holder for the pen you stole from the bar...

Edited by hellsop

I have 4 items that live in my suitcase for all travel just so I don't forget them:

A) A folding mesh hamper for dirties

B) A few 3M hooks for a place to stash hats, items on lanyards, the backpack/beach bag

C) Skinny duct tape for fixing a hem, keeping the curtain closed, etc.

D) A synthetic chamois cloth to take to the beach/pool (swim team trick...it saves space and works better than a towel).

Edited by Messunderstood

A couple of medium-sized binder clips have myriad uses: holding curtains closed, work like clothes pins securing swim suits to the line in the shower, secure charger cords into a specific spot so you can always find them, etc.

binder-clip-power-cord-holder.jpg

This trick also works as a holder for the pen you stole from the bar...

good idea. esp. for the stolen pen.lol

So, to you two posters, or anyone who knows: Does TSA take issue with an aerosol in checked bags, or is the pressure on the aircraft an issue? I mean, don't ladies pack hairspray?

Also, does the hanging deodorizer work? I never thought to do that. :)

I take hairspray and other aerosols in my checked bags all the time.

Yes, the Yankee car jars work; don't know how the cheapos would hold out. I use fresh cotton scent and it smells clean and fresh as opposed to fruity or flowery.

I take hairspray and other aerosols in my checked bags all the time.

The baggage area where the checked luggage goes is pressurized and kept at reasonable temperatures - animals that are flown in crates are down there, and they do just fine, so your aerosols are fine too.