Noro Preventive

Pickels

For those considering using the products from Clorox, (hydrogen peroxide), both wipes and hand sanitizes, BE CAREFUL... Read the labels very carefully, lots of precautions in using any of these products.

For those considering using the products from Clorox, (hydrogen peroxide), both wipes and hand sanitizes, BE CAREFUL... Read the labels very carefully, lots of precautions in using any of these products.

Yesterday our local news (Niagara, Canada) reported that Noro may be fought with Oregano Oil. Unfortunately, I missed the segment. Has anyone heard of this?

We're bringing all our "natural" anti infectives: Thieves (Young Living Essential Oils), Germ Fighter (Plant Therapy), and the like. But I also bought a container of Cavi-Wipes on Amazon after reading another thread about the ineffectiveness of anti-bacterial solutions on viruses. Can't hurt to cover all the bases, can it? Then just be careful of what you touch - hand railings, elevator buttons, serving utensils - and wash hands frequently and thoroughly. Think Howard Hughes. You might look funny, but it's "better to feel good than to look good."

We'll do our usual and just wash our hands and keep them away from our faces. I have never seen such a mass panic as I have the last few weeks.:rolleyes:

Clorox and hydrogen peroxide are not good for your skin. In fact, hydrogen peroxide can kill skin cells along with the germs.

Edited by BND

We're bringing all our "natural" anti infectives: Thieves (Young Living Essential Oils), Germ Fighter (Plant Therapy), and the like. But I also bought a container of Cavi-Wipes on Amazon after reading another thread about the ineffectiveness of anti-bacterial solutions on viruses. Can't hurt to cover all the bases, can it? Then just be careful of what you touch - hand railings, elevator buttons, serving utensils - and wash hands frequently and thoroughly. Think Howard Hughes. You might look funny, but it's "better to feel good than to look good."

You need gloves to use cavi wipes. It will mess up your hands and nails badly!

I use it daily in our NICU and it is effective, but do not use it on clear plastic or plexiglass type surfaces because it will cause it to have a milky appearance that can not be reversed. I don't think the cruise line would be happy if someone damaged their furnishings .

You need gloves to use cavi wipes. It will mess up your hands and nails badly!

I use it daily in our NICU and it is effective, but do not use it on clear plastic or plexiglass type surfaces because it will cause it to have a milky appearance that can not be reversed. I don't think the cruise line would be happy if someone damaged their furnishings .

Good to know! Thanks!

Hello! My first post!:)

My friends were concerned that I just booked the Majesty after the Norovirus incident. They work in sterilization assurance for a major medical products company. Their advice to me was to wash my hands frequently with soap and water (just as previous posters have said!) but also to not use alcohol products that you just rub on. Those products kill the germs on your hands but also the good germs your body needs, so the very next thing you touch after using it could bring you bad germs. Just a thought.

They also said to try to physically move away from anyone coughing or sneezing if you can! Lol

Proper hand-washing with soap and water will keep you very safe (remember to then open the door of the public bathroom with a paper towel or some toilet paper, since you can't always trust others to be good about washy washy).

While SuzyQ's friend is right about alcohol killing off most microorganisms (good and bad) on your hands, it is still the recommended option if it's not practical to do a full hand-washing after touching a surface. The chemicals in the anti-bacterial soaps and cleansers (like triclosan) is what microbes, specifically bacteria, not norovirus, are developing resistance to. The mechanism of alcohol for killing microbes is much harder to evolve a resistance to. All of those "natural" products are just less potent chemicals that kill a smaller percent of all microbes on your skin (no matter what the packaging says, it cannot target the bad and keep the good) and are no more "natural" than rubbing alcohol (which is usually just made from corn or other grains). Be practical, avoid people exhibiting signs of sickness, wash your hands often, and don't buy into fear-mongering deceptive advertisements.

Edited by Dajbman22

Please stop obsessing about germs... If you are that paranoid stay home! You cannot possibly be germ free on a cruise! This topic appears every year. Noro and other viruses are a fact of life. Let your immune system deal with it. All this use of antibacterial crap is why everyone gets sick in the first place. Those who obsess the most get sick the most. I expect to get flamed but this is just common sense people!!! All these wipes and cleaners are full of chemicals. Think about others that come after you who might be allergic to these chemicals. Personally the smell of Lysol is enough to make me sick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just talking to my mom about this the other day. She is 68 and she said when she was little, living in a small house with four in one room and four kids in the other, they never got sick. And they never had all this antibacterial stuff and what not. I wash my hands often and do plan on using antibacterial soap if nothing else is available. But you should not get rid of the good germs.

The way you get Noro Virus is person A has noro (which can be contagious even if you show no symptoms) and goes to the bathroom, doesn't wash their hands (vomit, fecal matter, etc.) and then touches things. You in turn touch that thing (elevator button, banister, door knob, water faucet, etc.). Then you touch your mouth, face, etc. and get the virus.

When I go pretty much anywhere I try not to touch things people typically touch and wash my hands a lot.

Edited by Artemis908

I will have my Thieves Spray, Hand Sanitizer and wipes...that should do it. All essential oils. This plus washing my hands and prayers is all I can do to stay well. I also plan on bring my diffuser to diffuse Purification or Thieves in our stateroom. :p

Proper hand-washing with soap and water will keep you very safe (remember to then open the door of the public bathroom with a paper towel or some toilet paper, since you can't always trust others to be good about washy washy).

While SuzyQ's friend is right about alcohol killing off most microorganisms (good and bad) on your hands, it is still the recommended option if it's not practical to do a full hand-washing after touching a surface. The chemicals in the anti-bacterial soaps and cleansers (like triclosan) is what microbes, specifically bacteria, not norovirus, are developing resistance to. The mechanism of alcohol for killing microbes is much harder to evolve a resistance to. All of those "natural" products are just less potent chemicals that kill a smaller percent of all microbes on your skin (no matter what the packaging says, it cannot target the bad and keep the good) and are no more "natural" than rubbing alcohol (which is usually just made from corn or other grains). Be practical, avoid people exhibiting signs of sickness, wash your hands often, and don't buy into fear-mongering deceptive advertisements.

Well said BUT:

ALSO REMEMBER TO USE A PAPER TOWEL TO OPEN DOORS AFTER YOU WASH YOUR HANDS IN A PUBLIC WASHROOM! THE SHIP WILL HAVE A SPECIAL WASTE BASKET BY THE DOOR SO YOU CAN GET IT OPEN, TOSS THE CLEAN TOWEL INTO THE GARBAGE CAN AND GET YOURSELF OUT THE DOOR.

Well said BUT:

ALSO REMEMBER TO USE A PAPER TOWEL TO OPEN DOORS AFTER YOU WASH YOUR HANDS IN A PUBLIC WASHROOM! THE SHIP WILL HAVE A SPECIAL WASTE BASKET BY THE DOOR SO YOU CAN GET IT OPEN' date=' TOSS THE CLEAN TOWEL INTO THE GARBAGE CAN AND GET YOURSELF OUT THE DOOR.[/quote']

I had included that tidbit about the paper towel, but thanks for the note about the trash bin by the door, so people don't worry about having to walk around with a dirty towel until they can find one.

Yes, I have read this but it is sad that people have to post things like this because they (1) don't believe in alternative medicine or (2) are afraid of alternative medicine. My father-in-law was a General Surgeon and had an acupuncturist in his office. You can have both in your life. The reason we have so much disease in our world is because we are over-medicated. We need to get back to nature...:confused:

I had included that tidbit about the paper towel, but thanks for the note about the trash bin by the door, so people don't worry about having to walk around with a dirty towel until they can find one.

I am often walking with a paper towel in my hands but I eventually find a trash can.

I wipe the Airplane seat table etc. down as well. That has more germs I think?:eek: