Recent emerald cruisers mattress ??

Xtrmflyer

The mattress was the only complaint we had on our cruise in January - everything else was wonderful. The mattress was so bad, I don't think the egg crate would have helped. If we had been cruising longer than 10 days we would have had to ask for a different mattress, if that is possible.

Are these mattreses that you are complaining about too hard or to soft?

People complain they are too hard. I have never had a problem and as stated, you can always request an egg crate. However, this is a very personal preference. I believe I have read that the mattresses are slowly being upgraded to pillow top, but I'm not sure that is true. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more up to date information.

I don't think it's that easy to describe: we had two single beds pushed together, they sunk in the middle, you could easily feel the "dividing line", plus my husband's mattress was a little bit lower. I guess I would describe them as lumpy and very uncomfortable. My husband said his side was too hard, mine was too soft. It was not nice sleeping.

On our Aloha balcony in January DH said the mattresses looked like ones you see on tv in prisons. It was so worn out with a big dip in the middle. Surprisingly when the steward put egg crates on them they were very comfortable. The pillows were worn out, too, but I've seen recent postings about new pillows in the past couple of weeks.

I was on the Emerald on a 16 day transatlantic in September. I was mid ship on the emerald deck and the mattresses were changed out the second day out and were very comfortable. They are/were doing a few cabins at a time. However, the pillows still needed replacing.

They are "butt-sprung" and sagging in the middle. One bed on the Emerald had been propped up in the middle with several beach towels under the mattress (didn't help), and another had a food tray underneath.

]Anybody tell me how the mattresses are. I've heard that they are very uncomfortable. When we were on the DP last July the mattresses were terrible.

Any input would be great.

We were on the Emerald last month. Beds very comfy. No complaints.

Thanks everyone. My DH has back problems and this has me concerned.

It's been a year since I had the issues with Emerald mattresses (I've sailed on her twice), so maybe the more recent reports are more accurate. I hope so, since I'll be boarding her again in May. :)

I was on the Emerald on a 16 day transatlantic in September. I was mid ship on the emerald deck and the mattresses were changed out the second day out and were very comfortable. They are/were doing a few cabins at a time. However, the pillows still needed replacing.

I was in an aft cabin on the Emerald on emerald deck just a few weeks ago and the mattress was one of the best I've ever had on Princess - I'm Elite so you know I've slept on many a Princess mattress - I recognise a good one when I get it - I guess I was lucky and it was new.

Edited by jollyjones

We like quite a firm bed so the mattresses suit us. We just came off Emerald 10 days ago and my husband`s side was very saggy at the outside edge. We had a word with our steward and he had it changed the same day - no problem.

• 1 month later...

Sailed on Emerald from 3/9 to 3/19 - We had an aft cabin on Riviera deck. Mattresses were both pretty worn out - visibly sagging in the middle and not the most comfortable. Have had much better on previous Princess cruises.

One would think that cruise lines would team up with commercial mattress manufacturers to showcase a firms product as part of the whole package. Cruise lines could leverage that type of arrangement to assure that mattresses were being swapped out on more regular basis to maintain standards.

Then again, when you begin thinking about the logistics and effort to coordinate mattress replacements on that scale - it's easy to understand why it doesn't happen more frequently.

Sailed on Emerald from 3/9 to 3/19 - We had an aft cabin on Riviera deck. Mattresses were both pretty worn out - visibly sagging in the middle and not the most comfortable. Have had much better on previous Princess cruises.

One would think that cruise lines would team up with commercial mattress manufacturers to showcase a firms product as part of the whole package. Cruise lines could leverage that type of arrangement to assure that mattresses were being swapped out on more regular basis to maintain standards.

Then again, when you begin thinking about the logistics and effort to coordinate mattress replacements on that scale - it's easy to understand why it doesn't happen more frequently.

Good idea, wish they would.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the Emerald on the March 29th sailing and our mattress was not very good. They were saggy in the middle and hard, not very cushioned feeling and that was with an eggcrate topper on. The pillows were pretty bad too - really thin and lumpy. We asked for extras and piled them on top of each other.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think it's that easy to describe: we had two single beds pushed together, they sunk in the middle, you could easily feel the "dividing line", plus my husband's mattress was a little bit lower. I guess I would describe them as lumpy and very uncomfortable. My husband said his side was too hard, mine was too soft. It was not nice sleeping.

Sounds like switch sides...but most in this post seem to find them uncomfortable. :):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues