Room service ...?

I love all of your comments! I didn't know about room service til our 3rd cruise... on our last cruise we had breakfast on the balcony every single day. That was so heavenly! As someone else said, it's something I don't do at home & it simply elevates the whole experience for me. Our breakfast was perfect every day (but to be fair, anything anyone cooks for me, brings to me, and cleans up for me is perfect in my book... such a luxury). One thing I learned from the previous year though is that the eggs were an "egg product" if I ordered scrambled, so now I specify that I want the real thing & how I'd like them cooked (no salt). Each morning, they arrived exactly as we like them.

Also, we travel with several other relatives & like to enjoy wine time on our balcony with them on occasion before dinner, so we have ordered cheese, crackers & fruit trays for a late afternoon gathering for 8ppl. I love the idea of small sandwiches & will have to see if it's available on our next trip. Thanks for all of these wonderful ideas!!

I also love the idea of a table cloth! That's definitely going on my list for October... although, I wonder if room service would bring that too if requested? Hmmm. Next person who travels on RCCL, please report back ;)

Finally, since we're sharing room service photos, here's my DH enjoying one of our lovely breakfasts on the balcony back in Oct 2013.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1393208753077.jpg.aef467ceaa76217cb223162fb44dbd71.jpg

Edited by browneyedgirlnb

Question, I realize you can order anything from the breakfast menu if you order during times that the MDR is open. Does this mean the night before I can add things to the order when I hang it outside my door as long as the time request is during the MDr hours, or do you mean I order the morning during of MDR hours?

Question, I realize you can order anything from the breakfast menu if you order during times that the MDR is open. Does this mean the night before I can add things to the order when I hang it outside my door as long as the time request is during the MDr hours, or do you mean I order the morning during of MDR hours?

You can request things from MDR menu for your breakfast if you order it be delivered during the times the MDR is serving breakfast. You can write what you want on the hang card the night before.

You can request things from MDR menu for your breakfast if you order it be delivered during the times the MDR is serving breakfast. You can write what you want on the hang card the night before.

Too bad you can't order an "Uitsmijter" ;)

The only time we enjoyed our room service breakfast was when we had a wrap around aft suite on the Oosterdam. It was fabulous.

Other times we had breakfast room service it was served on the very tiny table in the room. Not so enjoyable.

One time we sailed with our boys on a repositioning cruise after 3 nights in Disneyland, our 13 year old loved room service. He thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. :)

BTW they are now 26(was 13) & 28 so it was awhile ago.

Rockfan2

Too bad you can't order an "Uitsmijter" ;)

You might be able to get it. I wrote in the "Scandinavian Breakfast" on my room service card last September and got everything but the dark rye bread. It was delicious! I think the ability to modify the room service card was one of the best tips ever suggested on the HAL board! Not to mention the chocolate crossant modification....

Not to mention the chocolate crossant modification....

2014 marks our 20th year cruising on HAL and we never knew about the chocolate croissant write-in. DW thinks it's the best "newbie" tip so far. :thumbup:

2014 marks our 20th year cruising on HAL and we never knew about the chocolate croissant write-in. DW thinks it's the best "newbie" tip so far. :thumbup:

Forgot to mention that to get any modifications, you must have your room service delivery time scheduled for the regular MDR breakfast hours (so the items are available).

Penny

P.S. We've been cruising HAL on and off for about 20 years also, and just found out about this last year! I guess it was a secret...;)

Hi everybody, we are from the UK and cruise usually with UK based lines P and O , Fred Olsen and Thomson.

We cruised with HAL On a back to back Jan 2013.

I read all the forums and and find it very interesting that on the so called UK lines nobody ever considers room service yet on the USA lines it always seems important.

We have cruised for the last six years and I have never met anybody who thought about room service for meals.

To us it seems totally unbelievable to go on a cruise and eat meals in your cabin.

Not decrying it just wondering maybe it is different mind set.

Suppose it could be that our ships tend not to have as many balconies.

Anyway...it was just a thought as I was reading the forums.

Happy cruising

We cruise on many cruise lines and never use room service.

We find it boring, time consuming, less choices than in buffet or MDR.

We like to be out and about the ship.

Hi everybody, we are from the UK and cruise usually with UK based lines P and O , Fred Olsen and Thomson.

We cruised with HAL On a back to back Jan 2013.

I read all the forums and and find it very interesting that on the so called UK lines nobody ever considers room service yet on the USA lines it always seems important.

We have cruised for the last six years and I have never met anybody who thought about room service for meals.

To us it seems totally unbelievable to go on a cruise and eat meals in your cabin.

Not decrying it just wondering maybe it is different mind set.

Suppose it could be that our ships tend not to have as many balconies.

Anyway...it was just a thought as I was reading the forums.

Happy cruising

bolding mine

One of my best-ever memories was a girls' cruise "pyjama party" when we were all just way too tired to do the formal night stuff, so we ordered in and had "pyjama night" in one of our oceanview cabins. It was crowded and it was fun and relaxing.

Another wonderful memory is being docked in Topolobampo and having our dinner table companions in for dinner. The concierge had looked after the ordering of dinner for all of us, and we sat on the balcony, enjoying the shoreside entertainment our cruise director (Erik?) had arranged, along with the beautiful evening weather.

My DH has never been a room-service fan in hotels, but having tried it a few times on HAL, he now actually suggests ordering from room service, as opposed to tolerating it :D

It is definitely one of those "different strokes for different folks" kinds of things, IMHO.

Another wonderful feature of cruising.......

so many choices.

Those of us who enjoy Room Service have the choice to order and those who do not, have no need to be bothered about it.

DH and I have only had dinner maybe once or twice in our cabin and that was likely because one of us didn't feel well one night. However, we have enjoyed Room Service breakfasts and sometimes an afternoon snack. :)

Edited by sail7seas

My first cruise as an adult was on NCL. The brochure said "knock knock. Who's there? It's room service, it's free, and it's available 24 hours a day."

My now hubby and I though the idea was fantastic. We never did it tho... For 3 cruises... I guess we didn't feel we needed such an extravagance. On the Zuiderdam to Panama Canal, we were celebrating, and I wanted to "love it up". Now we get coffee and something light (raisin buns &/or croissants) and wake up slowly on the balcony.

We did dinner once. We had a aft wrap so lots of space. It was my birthday and we dined as we sailed away from Curaçao. Awesome!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Room Service comes in handy some times.

My Dad got sick on a cruise and the doctor "confined" him to the cabin. (This wasn't HAL. I think the doctor was concerned about the spread of a virus. About six people in our area of the ship were sick at the same time.) SO, he had room service for all meals for several days.

Again, not HAL, but going through the Panama Canal, we did room service for lunch. We didn't want to miss anything.

A late night snack of wine and cheese on the balcony -- can't be beat!

I can't remember ever doing room service on HAL, but will have to give it a try.

Please don't take offense, I'm really curious. How can room service be time consuming? :confused: You have to eat somewhere, and it takes no longer (in fact we think it's faster) to get room service than to go to the MDR or Lido. You can eat while dressing, getting ready for an excursion, or packing in your cabin, so we have found it saves time. :)

Edited by Cruising-along